PDA

View Full Version : Base layers/undershirts

dsimon
02-09-2013, 03:40 PM
Who swears by them? To me it seems like too much and I really hate the synthetic feel. I usually wear Ice Breakers or Road Holland type jersey because they don't smell after a hard sweat. Can someone tell me if you really think wearing a base layer in the summer helps? I do know that layering in the winter really helps... but the summer? Your feedback is much appreciated.

Lovetoclimb
02-09-2013, 03:41 PM
On all but the hottest days and highest humidity I will go with the Rapha merino wool sleeveless baselayers. Ohio summers were often variable. You may start the ride in 70 degrees at 7am but be suffering in 90+ degrees with high humidity by 12pm. The baselayer was perfect under a jersey to start, but never bothered me for the duration. I pretty much always wear one.

flydhest
02-09-2013, 04:01 PM
Wool base layers make me very happy. I only ear them in the cold.

Climb01742
02-09-2013, 04:04 PM
Wool base layers make me very happy. I only ear them in the cold.

Do they keep your ears warm? ;)

FlashUNC
02-09-2013, 04:51 PM
Cedar Cycling's base layers are the jam.

Wear them on all but the hottest days.

rnhood
02-09-2013, 05:05 PM
I wear wool baselayers during 3 seasons, and only a full zip jersey during the hot summer months. Nothhing cools better than air moving across your skin.

The Ibex woolies are excellent. So are Smartwool and Icebreaker equivalents. I'm partial to the Ibex woolies though, as they have partial zip and full neck options. Just a great wool baselayer.

That Cedar Cycling jersey looks very nice and is full zip. A bit pricey though.

davidb
02-09-2013, 05:13 PM
No matter how warm or cold I wear a base layer. Near 100 in humid summer or in teens on mtn bike in winter. In a few minutes one on the trainer. Now it is not the same base layer for all of those temps. DeFeet UndIce is amazing in high heat. Pearl transfer for the cold. They really work, move they sweat away from your body cooling in the summer. Also keeping you warmer in the winter. As sweat next to the skin in winter will cool your core quickly allowing you to become chilled. They should fit tight against your body. Started with a craft in early nineties and never ride without today.

Walter
02-09-2013, 05:16 PM
I use the Craft short sleeve, mock turtle base layer. Works great, even keeps me warm when caught out in driving rain that soaks me to the skin. In the summer I use the sleeveless mesh top.

Great stuff...

JeremyS
02-09-2013, 05:33 PM
Cedar Cycling's base layers are the jam.

Wear them on all but the hottest days.

Me too, obviously!

We are currently fiddling around with a blend of wool and poly to make a summer weight baselayer.

dsimon
02-09-2013, 06:21 PM
Thanks But I sweat Allot and I mean Allot. Im more concerned about the hottest days and thank you for all your feedback

shovelhd
02-09-2013, 06:37 PM
Sweating a lot is what makes base layers work.

rice rocket
02-09-2013, 06:40 PM
I have all Craft baselayers. When it's near freezing, I break out the one w/ the Windstopper layer. Otherwise, the extreme concept piece is adequate. In the summer I wear the sleeveless mesh.

They all work well, and prevent that feeling that you get when clothes soak through and stick to you.

eddief
02-09-2013, 06:41 PM
when they are dry. I have them in both long and short sleeve, light and medium weight. I also like the lack of stink factor. On the other hand, I am starting to think something like Patagonia Capilene is lighter and wicks sweat away better than wool, but then there is the stink factor. I trade off. If it stinks ya wash it. Love a day that starts with short sleeve base, summer short sleeve jersey, arm warmers and then the light windbreaker. Then the pieces come off as it warms up.

pdmtong
02-09-2013, 07:03 PM
rapha merino short sleeve 40-60d, then rapha merino sleeveless 60-80d, above 80d I switch to craft

I bought my rapha merino when I used a coupon against the 3-pak...came out to about $40 each. love that. at $80 each thats a different story. probably be back in craft on sale at that price.

GRAVELBIKE
02-09-2013, 07:34 PM
Sleeveless DeFeet for me. Reasonably priced, and they work well over a wide range of temps.

msl819
02-09-2013, 07:36 PM
Thanks But I sweat Allot and I mean Allot. Im more concerned about the hottest days and thank you for all your feedback

I live in Louisiana and wear a Craft baselayer year round.

fogrider
02-10-2013, 12:30 AM
I'm in san francisco and it's usually cold in the mornings and most days, I'm done before it gets warm so a base layer is pretty much necessary. in addition, I start with arm warmers.

veloduffer
02-10-2013, 07:04 AM
I have tried several and Craft are my favorite - very warm in the winter but lightweight and fast wicking. I wear a base layer except in the summer - it's too hot and I sweat like a faucet.

flydhest
02-10-2013, 07:16 AM
Do they keep your ears warm? ;)

So, I checked with my mom and she says you only tease me because you like me.

Gummee
02-10-2013, 08:55 AM
I've been migrating my base layers over to merino. I haven't been nearly as cold this winter as a result.

Case in point was Friday's ride. Got back with chilly toes. Went upstairs to change clothes and everything from my body out was sweaty. 2 wool layers, wool socks, and all I got was slightly chilly toes? I'll take it.

There was a thread earlier and someone posted some wool mesh base layers. I'm going to have to find me some of them. :nod The combination of a mesh first layer and wool mid-layers is almost unbeatable. Make the mesh wool and I'm pretty sure it'll be even better.

M

dsimon
02-10-2013, 09:04 AM
Thank you,
I'm in the military and do understand layering in the winter I'm more concerned about the summer it seems me and Veloduffer have things in common. I may just switch to merino full zip:help:

Gummee
02-10-2013, 10:16 AM
Thank you,
I'm in the military and do understand layering in the winter I'm more concerned about the summer it seems me and Veloduffer have things in common. I may just switch to merino full zip:help:

Hey, since you're in Manassh@le, PM me. We'll go for a ride.

Lots of great riding out my way (Nokesville) and points west.

M

jpw
02-10-2013, 02:36 PM
Assos has some new ones coming out for spring and summer. not wool. never wool from Assos.

evo111@comcast.net
02-10-2013, 02:43 PM
Pearl Izumi long and short sleeve base layer work wonders in the fall and winter. Not much summer experience yet.

charliedid
02-10-2013, 06:02 PM
Not above 75