PDA

View Full Version : Bikes of the pro peloton 2013 - gallery

phcollard
02-09-2013, 01:24 PM
Some nice rides in there, for carbon that is...

... just kidding! :)

http://www.cyclingtips.com.au/2013/02/bikes-of-the-peloton-2013-proteam-rides/

buddybikes
02-09-2013, 01:59 PM
looks like all the shimano stuff is 7900 other than most having power meters.
where's the 9000?

rice rocket
02-09-2013, 02:11 PM
I'm still baffled w/ the lack of integration of electronic groups. Di2/EPS batteries are just thrown somewhere on the frame willy nilly.

It's been what, 5 years now since it's come out?

ultraman6970
02-09-2013, 02:18 PM
Anybody noticed that AS bike has the battery at the driver side of the BB shell?? If anybody of the team gets a chain drop again that battery can crack big time. Would be interesting who AS will blame now if that happens.

Campagnolo EPS bikes put the little boxes in the safest places.

Gat64
02-09-2013, 02:50 PM
I do not like that half white, half black stem on the Treks. Makes them look pedestrian short.

T.J.
02-09-2013, 03:11 PM
After looking at that Garmin team Cervelo I can't believe someone stole their bikes :eek:

mcteague
02-09-2013, 03:19 PM
Guess I'm showing my age but bikes these days just look ugly. Strange angles, fat tubes, swoopy tubes, LOUD tubes. Ugh.

Tim

weisan
02-09-2013, 03:26 PM
I will be the first to admit, ever since I got the custom steel Taylor almost four years ago, which completely opened my eyes to what is possible with a couple of steel tubes (or any materials) put in the hands of a craftsman who knows his art well albeit a poor biz manager, it literally killed my bike lust, I have not kept up with the latest equipment - and you are talking to a former bike addict who had about 10+ bikes hanging in the garage at any given time, made of all kinds of materials; steel, titanium, carbon, composites etc. Now, I am settled with one and had stayed that way since. I not only enjoy riding but also the equipment side of things, the wrenching and building up my own bikes.

But looking at these pro bikes, I must honestly say, my reaction was ....er...lukewarm at best....more of a yawn. They don't seem to do anything for me. Have I become a bike snob?:eek:

It's the same in a group ride. The riders will gather around somebody's latest carbon wunderbike during the rest stops and drool...well, I do my best to blend in, so I will stand around them, but found myself drifting further away into my own thoughts, totally uninterested in the conversation.

I am in trouble?
:rolleyes:

Sorry this post is not meant to put down anybody or even the pro bikes, I am sure they are extraordinary machines with incredible technology behind them. Just hard to summon up the same level of interest I used to have in the candy shop, and wonder why...
?
Btw, this will show my ignorance and how much I have not stayed on top of things...on the Cannondale EVO, looking at the picture, it seems like it has a relatively small er chainstays compared to the others who seem to opt for the beefier stays to increase BB stiffness...I wonder

http://d4nuk0dd6nrma.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/2N4A9205.jpg

handsomerob
02-09-2013, 03:35 PM
Um.. What/where is the "thing" that keeps the bikes from tipping over for the pictures? Is it photoshopped out?

mike p
02-09-2013, 04:01 PM
85% of those bikes are butt ugly. They may ride fine but they look terrible. I know a lot of folks like Pinarello's but those wavy forks and stays just look like crap to me! The best looking of the bunch was the C-Dale! Who'd have thunk it, an American bike out styling Italians! Of course what do I know I think Serotta's Pronto looks hot!

Mike

buddybikes
02-09-2013, 07:53 PM
the white s-works is the best of the bunch. However the look of the Specialized current sales lineup on the high end are yucky in my opinion. Which is good, as a shop I deal with, work in a few days a year, almost got me a new Roubaix, but I wised up and ordered my dream custom.

choke
02-09-2013, 08:08 PM
But looking at these pro bikes, I must honestly say, my reaction was ....er...lukewarm at best....more of a yawn. They don't seem to do anything for me. Have I become a bike snob?:eek:I feel the same way, so maybe I'm one as well. I can remember when going in to a bike shop meant spending more time than necessary checking out the bikes and frames for sale. With very few exceptions, when I stop by a shop today I don't give the new bikes more than a passing glance.

The last shop I visited I spent far more time looking at the owner's personal bike than at any that was for sale even though he sells some nicer lines. I couldn't help but smile at the small Madonna Ghisallo pendant hanging from the rear Delta.

dougf
02-09-2013, 08:12 PM
Um.. What/where is the "thing" that keeps the bikes from tipping over for the pictures? Is it photoshopped out?

Looks like a clear plastic kickstand type stand, near the BB. It's easier to see on the Orbea than most of the others, I think.

dougf
02-09-2013, 08:50 PM
Double post, please delete.

keevon
02-09-2013, 08:59 PM
This one does it for me. I like the 7800 arms on the SRM, the simple wheel decals, and the fairly simple color scheme.

http://d4nuk0dd6nrma.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/2N4A9130.jpg

rice rocket
02-09-2013, 09:05 PM
Looks like a clear plastic kickstand type stand, near the BB. It's easier to see on the Orbea than most of the others, I think.

Wow, good eye!

tsarpepe
02-09-2013, 11:26 PM
what happens to that Ridley when a side wind blows in? it's almost a solid wall

http://d4nuk0dd6nrma.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/2N4A9107.jpg

Shortsocks
02-10-2013, 01:15 PM
what happens to that Ridley when a side wind blows in? it's almost a solid wall

http://d4nuk0dd6nrma.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/2N4A9107.jpg

I don't understand that, I'm sure it's stiff as hell and cuts thrift through the air like a hot knife in warm butter, but aren't those pros light people. I weigh 139 and I'm 5'9. And when I'm on my rig, I've got SRAM s40's, I can 100% feel a crosswind. And descending with a crosswind of 25mph is scary.

Am I missing something?

Socks

dancinkozmo
02-10-2013, 01:24 PM
http://d4nuk0dd6nrma.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/2N4A9205.jpg

thats so hawt !!
could use a few more logos though

thirdgenbird
02-10-2013, 02:16 PM
I don't understand that, I'm sure it's stiff as hell and cuts thrift through the air like a hot knife in warm butter, but aren't those pros light people. I weigh 139 and I'm 5'9. And when I'm on my rig, I've got SRAM s40's, I can 100% feel a crosswind. And descending with a crosswind of 25mph is scary.

Am I missing something?

Socks

It probably depends on the day. In a bike radar article he was riding a Noah with a bora rear wheel and a hyperon up front.

Edit: it was a Ridley helium, not a Noah.

Llewellyn
02-10-2013, 04:00 PM
I will be the first to admit, ever since I got the custom steel Taylor almost four years ago, which completely opened my eyes to what is possible with a couple of steel tubes (or any materials) put in the hands of a craftsman who knows his art well albeit a poor biz manager, it literally killed my bike lust, I have not kept up with the latest equipment - and you are talking to a former bike addict who had about 10+ bikes hanging in the garage at any given time, made of all kinds of materials; steel, titanium, carbon, composites etc. Now, I am settled with one and had stayed that way since. I not only enjoy riding but also the equipment side of things, the wrenching and building up my own bikes.

But looking at these pro bikes, I must honestly say, my reaction was ....er...lukewarm at best....more of a yawn. They don't seem to do anything for me. Have I become a bike snob?:eek:

It's the same in a group ride. The riders will gather around somebody's latest carbon wunderbike during the rest stops and drool...well, I do my best to blend in, so I will stand around them, but found myself drifting further away into my own thoughts, totally uninterested in the conversation.

I am in trouble?
:rolleyes:

Sorry this post is not meant to put down anybody or even the pro bikes, I am sure they are extraordinary machines with incredible technology behind them. Just hard to summon up the same level of interest I used to have in the candy shop, and wonder why...
?

This is exactly how I feel these days. I find todays mainstream offerings underwhelming and uninspiring at best

dd74
02-10-2013, 04:05 PM
No, you've just developed good taste. The Cannondale is nice. But I would say the only mass-produced new carbon race frame I truly like is the Colnago C-59 Italia. Oddly enough, both the Cannondale and Colnago have a more traditional look, much like the Pronto, which I also like.

dd74
02-10-2013, 04:06 PM
It probably depends on the day. In a bike radar article he was riding a Noah with a bora rear wheel and a hyperon up front.
I wonder if that set up works. I've been blown around pretty hard on my Bora wheels from time to time.

rnhood
02-10-2013, 04:12 PM
I like the modern carbon bikes and really appreciate their sharp and composed handling characteristics, not to mention their agile and lightweight nature. On fast technical descents the merit of a stiff carbon front end is front and center. No vagueness or flex. Very confidence inspiring. The carbon legacy of being harsh is not so much true anymore. Perhaps some are still harsh most are not. That doesn't mean they ride better than steel, or any other material for that matter, but they ride as good in my opinion - or perhaps I should say good enough. And you never have to worry about rubbing the chain guide when mashing uphill.

Of course I will be first to admit on purely aesthetic values, those custom made steel bikes just reek of craftsmanship. Nothing quite equals their looks.

But of the bunch here, I like the Cannondale, Tarmac and Venge. Fine looking bikes.

dub1308
02-10-2013, 04:44 PM

Am I missing something?

Socks

That is a really nice looking bike

Black Dog
02-10-2013, 05:54 PM
I know that as a Canadian I should be more proud of Cérvelo, but I have to say that the S5 looks like it was designed by the Borg. I am sure that it is fast and stiff and compliant and makes a great cup of coffee, but from an aesthetic stand point it is surely an acquired taste.

soulspinner
02-10-2013, 06:44 PM
no, you've just developed good taste. The cannondale is nice. But i would say the only mass-produced new carbon race frame i truly like is the colnago c-59 italia. Oddly enough, both the cannondale and colnago have a more traditional look, much like the pronto, which i also like.

+1

thirdgenbird
02-10-2013, 09:41 PM
I wonder if that set up works. I've been blown around pretty hard on my Bora wheels from time to time.

I'm sure it helps. It looks alright too.

SolidSnake03
02-11-2013, 05:47 AM
The setback on that Cannondale i massive, I think that's FSA's ~32mm setback post or something like that! Might be a combo of a smaller bike mixed with an Aliante that has pretty short rails

cdn_bacon
02-11-2013, 07:15 AM
thanks for sharing this post!

fun to look at :)

Steve in SLO
02-11-2013, 10:46 AM
All are go-fast machines fur sure, but it looks like NASCAR on 2 wheels.

zott28
02-11-2013, 11:09 AM
For the most part it looks like they are sharing molds.
I like the BMC, and Pinarello just for looking slightly different.

I only see hands holding the bikes in 2 photos, how are the others being held up?

phcollard
02-11-2013, 11:31 AM
Looks like we all agree folks. Nothing as nice as a good ol' steel bike :)

You're on the right forums.

I'm quite impressed by all the technology that they put in bikes these days but seriously I find most of them too space age for me. No way I will ever buy one of these anytime soon. I love my Merckx and Serotta just too much. And when I visit my LBS with one of these two they draw much more attention than the full carbon space shuttle.

Ahneida Ride
02-11-2013, 12:06 PM
Guess I'm showing my age but bikes these days just look ugly. Strange angles, fat tubes, swoopy tubes, LOUD tubes. Ugh.

Tim

:banana:

tiretrax
02-11-2013, 01:30 PM
I love my Merckx and Serotta just too much. And when I visit my LBS with one of these two they draw much more attention than the full carbon space shuttle.

Touche!

tiretrax
02-11-2013, 01:31 PM
I love my Merckx and Serotta just too much. And when I visit my LBS with one of these two they draw much more attention than the full carbon space shuttle.

Touche!

I love visiting bike stores with cool old frames and bikes hanging from the ceiling. West End cycles in Houston is the most recent one I've visited.

axel23
04-18-2013, 10:49 AM
I guess I'm the odd man out.

While I'm a big fan of classic steel frames (Raleigh Professional, Tommasini Competizione), I'm sensing a distinct curmudgeonly vibe here. Those carbon machines look great to my eye - swooping lines, purpose-built, graphically interesting. And what's not to like about the feathery lightness and the lack of unwanted flex? Too stiff? Take it up with the peleton at Paris-Roubaix. They managed just fine.

Times change. We can wax nostalgic and still appreciate the progress that's been made. If I'm actually riding - and not just parading - give me the carbon and the DA 7900 any day.

colod
04-20-2013, 01:20 AM
Subtler paint would do many of these wonders. But wouldn't be as easy to spot on the TV cameras.

Somehow the Bianchi reminded me of a 56 Chevy. Big old sweeping lines, extra body shaping - or maybe just the pastel colors.

Gummee
04-20-2013, 07:54 AM
While the new carbon wunderbikes are much nicer to hump up a mountain than the SLX-tubed PDM Concorde I had 'back when,' its the old steel frames that catch my eye first and make me drool.

M

oldpotatoe
04-20-2013, 08:00 AM
I guess I'm the odd man out.

While I'm a big fan of classic steel frames (Raleigh Professional, Tommasini Competizione), I'm sensing a distinct curmudgeonly vibe here. Those carbon machines look great to my eye - swooping lines, purpose-built, graphically interesting. And what's not to like about the feathery lightness and the lack of unwanted flex? Too stiff? Take it up with the peleton at Paris-Roubaix. They managed just fine.

Times change. We can wax nostalgic and still appreciate the progress that's been made. If I'm actually riding - and not just parading - give me the carbon and the DA 7900 any day.

Nuthin' wrong with that but the pelOton is the sponsor's doing the 'win on sunday, sell on monday', type thing. Just like NASCAR, even IF the cars there aren't really Chevys, Camrys or Ford Fusions.

progress sometimes with a small 'p'. IMHO

JAGI410
04-20-2013, 08:47 AM
While I'm a big fan of classic steel frames (Raleigh Professional, Tommasini Competizione), I'm sensing a distinct curmudgeonly vibe here.

The Raleigh Professional is still coveted, for some (myself included), in the cycling community 40 some odd years later. Do you think the Ridley Noah will bear mention 40 years from now?

oldpotatoe
04-20-2013, 08:49 AM
The Raleigh Professional is still coveted, for some (myself included), in the cycling community 40 some odd years later. Do you think the Ridley Noah will bear mention 40 years from now?

Not 40 months..40 weeks, 40 days......

AgilisMerlin
04-20-2013, 09:13 AM
headtube/fork rake:eek:

something odd about this setup

http://d4nuk0dd6nrma.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/trek.jpg

SpokeValley
04-20-2013, 10:22 AM
touche!

+1

SpokeValley
04-20-2013, 10:31 AM
As my son would type..."meh".

TimD
04-20-2013, 11:00 AM
Interesting brake setup on the Giant.

SolidSnake03
04-20-2013, 11:30 AM
headtube/fork rake:eek:

something odd about this setup

http://d4nuk0dd6nrma.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/trek.jpg

That Trek just looks too disjoint and "off" to me. Maybe it's the seatpost topper or the fork/headtube junction or the stem or a combination of all of them I'm not sure but it just feels odd. Almost like the bike is made of lots of parts that don't really fit together right and as a result look a bit fragmented.

*Yes I know a bike is made of tons of individual parts but some just seem to flow together well that you don't really look at each piece but the whole bike*

blessthismess
04-20-2013, 11:45 AM
These bikes are uh... ummmmm....:o

mcteague
04-20-2013, 02:05 PM

I STILL have a soft spot for that blue Mink\Silver paint job. The Pro, and the Schwinn Paramount, were the top models when I first became aware of nice bikes in my youth so I guess they set the standard and it never quite shifted out of my brain.

Tim

1/2 Wheeler
04-20-2013, 02:28 PM
I really like the clean look of having the brake hidden.

Comparing the looks of these to skinny round tubes is crazy.

Steel in then, these are now.

http://d4nuk0dd6nrma.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/andyschlecktrek.jpg