PDA

View Full Version : Has Anyone Done the Ride Idaho?

LesMiner
02-08-2013, 03:47 PM
My wife and I are thinking signing up for this ride August 4 - 10 http://rideidaho.org/
Looks like fun from the website. The climbs do not appear to be all that aggressive. Living in the Midwest, there isn't many climbs especially long ones. From the website pictures, it does not appear to be anyone on a hybird or comfort bike. My wife is interested in the other activities like the "Zipline" It is limited to 350 riders so it is not like a massive charity ride but it also is not like private tour company either. I am just curious if anyone had any experience with this ride.

Vientomas
02-08-2013, 04:22 PM
I have not participated in the ride. It moves around to different parts of the State each year. This year it is in my neck of the woods. I have ridden some of the roads and trails which make up this years ride. I would be happy to share my experiences and knowledge with you. Send me a PM if you like.

cnighbor1
02-08-2013, 04:36 PM
A low population nice backroads My only ? would be heat in high 90's each day

Vientomas
02-08-2013, 04:52 PM
That 90 degree statement caught my eye. I think that is a little high based on my personal experience and a quick Google search:

http://weatherspark.com/averages/29943/8/Coeur-d-Alene-Idaho-United-States

The month of August is characterized by falling daily high temperatures, with daily highs ranging from 84°F to 76°F over the course of the month, exceeding 93°F or dropping below 65°F only one day in ten.

rdparadise
02-08-2013, 08:56 PM
I don't know diddy about riding in Idaho, however, I did ride the western side of the Tetons in Idaho several years ago with Cycle America Nat'l Parks Tour. From that one experience I can tell you it's fantastic cycling. The roads were slightly rolling, some wide shoulders and zero traffic. Spud fields everywhere and the fastest ride of the week. May have been the tail wind but I can tell you it was great fun.

The one town we stopped in was a hole in the wall. Absolutely zero going on. But, hey, it was a bike tour and frankly I didn't expect much so it was par for the course. We camped overnight at a very small local high school. When the fire crackers started going off at 3 am, I know there was a lot of unhappy campers coming out of their tents wondering what was happening. Anyway, just another experience in many of lifes joys.

Go for it, I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

Bob

PaMtbRider
02-09-2013, 10:13 AM
We did a route very similar to this year's cycle Idaho route a few years ago. The area is beautiful, and I don't recall any significant climbing. We really enjoyed Sandpoint. We had a day off there and spent some time kayaking. Lots to do and see in the area.