PDA

View Full Version : FedEx or UPS for cross country bike shipping?

DRZRM
02-08-2013, 11:37 AM
I know it is all expensive, but which is cheaper, UPS or FedEx ground.

victoryfactory
02-08-2013, 11:48 AM
Fedex generally copies the UPS rates.
Any difference will be minor and based on the particular shipping store
you go to.
Either service will be happy to crush your shipment at no additional cost.

1. INSURE!!!
2. Pack as if they will drop it from a great height, because they WILL!
3. If your package is over 130" Length plus girth it will incur a Massive oversize charge. (automatic 90 lbs +$50.)
measure around the girth and add the length of the box, keep it under 130"

Remember that both services now charge by dimensional weight, not actual weight.
If your bike box weighs 30 lbs, it doesn't matter. The weight charged will be:
LxWxH divided by 166
For example, a box that is 30"x47"x10" goes as 85 lbs
30x47x10 / 166 = 84.9

The girth on that box is 30+10+30+10+47 = 127 "
If it had been 130" or more, it would have been oversize and shipped as 90 lbs plus $50. even
if it weighed 30 lbs!

All this is true, but there is another factor...
The UPS rates are so complex that many outlets don't understand them and will ship enormous
boxes at the scale weight with none of the correct surcharges!
When that happens, you win and the store looses. When the bill comes in and the depot corrected the charge
to the store.

Had enough?

Good luck

VF

choke
02-08-2013, 11:50 AM
IME FedEx will cost quite a bit less than UPS.

thwart
02-08-2013, 11:51 AM
I've had good luck with FedEx.

One bike damaged in transit a few years ago was paid for... without going to small claims court or any huge amount of drama. And they returned the bike to me as well.

Jaq
02-08-2013, 11:52 AM
Ride it.

DRZRM
02-08-2013, 11:55 AM
Thanks, FedEx it is. Thanks all!!

jpw
02-08-2013, 12:35 PM

VF

I thought that was a UPS USP.

'volumetric weight' - i've come across this phrase this last week. i have a boxed package that weighs less than 5 KGs and UPS and Fedex calculate it as 20.8 KGs based on the box dimensions. Err?

zandrrr
02-08-2013, 12:37 PM
I've had a bike destroyed by UPS. Have not had one destroyed by FedEx. That said, I'm sure either one is equally likely to break your stuff.

Shortsocks
02-08-2013, 12:40 PM
Fed Ex. It's cheaper than UPS for some reason when it comes to full bikes. Don't know why that is, generally UPS is always cheaper. INSURE it, and pack it very very well. Good luck, she'll be okay.

Socks

bargainguy
02-08-2013, 12:56 PM
I've had excellent luck with FedEx via shipbikes.com. You can pay via credit card at their website, print out shipping labels at home and have them pickup at no charge. I once shipped an empty box to a seller with return label already printed inside the box; all they had to do was box the bike, affix the label and wait for a pickup.

BTW, shipbikes is essentially the corporate FedEx acct of Lickton's in Oak Park, IL. Best thing is - they know bikes and work on your behalf if something goes amiss.

wallymann
02-08-2013, 12:59 PM
what he said!

IME FedEx will cost quite a bit less than UPS.

DRZRM
02-08-2013, 01:36 PM
Very helpful, my buddy was able to cut open and extend the flaps a bit and reduce the height by an inch to keep the overall dimensions under 130", you saved him $50.

I owe you a beer!!

Edt: Actually as you both live in Queens, I should send him over with a beer for you.

Fedex generally copies the UPS rates.
Any difference will be minor and based on the particular shipping store
you go to.

1. INSURE!!!
2. Pack as if they will drop it from a great height, because they WILL!
3. If your package is over 130" Length plus girth it will incur a Massive oversize charge. (automatic 90 lbs +$50.)
measure around the girth and add the length of the box, keep it under 130"

Remember that both services now charge by dimensional weight, not actual weight.
If your bike box weighs 30 lbs, it doesn't matter. The weight charged will be:
LxWxH divided by 166
For example, a box that is 30"x47"x10" goes as 85 lbs
30x47x10 / 166 = 84.9

The girth on that box is 30+10+30+10+47 = 127 "
If it had been 130" or more, it would have been oversize and shipped as 90 lbs plus $50. even
if it weighed 30 lbs!

All this is true, but there is another factor...
The UPS rates are so complex that many outlets don't understand them and will ship enormous
boxes at the scale weight with none of the correct surcharges!
When that happens, you win and the store looses. When the bill comes in and the depot corrected the charge
to the store.

Had enough?

Good luck

VF

rice rocket
02-08-2013, 02:07 PM
The Paceline...bicycle forum...and blind date forum.

cmg
02-08-2013, 02:28 PM
cheapest way to ship is USPS standard post (formerly parcel post)

1. For parcels that measure in combined length and girth:
• More than 84 inches but not more than 108 inches, and the
piece weighs less than 20 pounds, use the 20-pound price
(balloon price) based on the applicable zone.
• More than 108 inches but not more than 130 inches, use the
oversized price, regardless of weight.

it will take 10 days to go anywhere in the continental US and there's no way to track. Confirmation always runs behind the delivery but it is cheaper. go to http://www.ehow.com/how_8237197_calculate-girth-usps.html for how to calculate girth.

mandasol
02-08-2013, 02:34 PM
I had a positive experience with bikeflights.com I just sold a bike to a member in Australia and FedEx and UPS were in the $800 range, but it cost $400 through bikeflights (who basically just lets me use their commercial FedEx account like licktons) - not cheap but way less than the other alternatives. The box was too big for USPS which would have been much cheaper.

SpokeValley
02-08-2013, 03:17 PM
I've had excellent luck with FedEx via shipbikes.com. You can pay via credit card at their website, print out shipping labels at home and have them pickup at no charge. I once shipped an empty box to a seller with return label already printed inside the box; all they had to do was box the bike, affix the label and wait for a pickup.

BTW, shipbikes is essentially the corporate FedEx acct of Lickton's in Oak Park, IL. Best thing is - they know bikes and work on your behalf if something goes amiss.

+1..ditto that.

oliver1850
02-08-2013, 03:56 PM
UPS - never again. They will crush your bike, say your box wasn't up to their standards (nobody's is), and refuse to pay for damages. They killed this one of a kind AT.

dlui
02-08-2013, 07:24 PM
Thank you everyone, very useful information on this thread.