PDA

View Full Version : Fat road tire (32c) suggestions?

Lewis Moon
02-08-2013, 08:23 AM
Being that I'm just a biologist working for a state that hates state workers, I have no money and can only afford one road bike. Thus, I bought a Poprad. Sweet ride and I can run fatter tires, which really helps with the lumpy roads in my neck of the woods. Even though I don't own a CF wunderbike, I still like to ride fast and would love to take some KOMs from the Tri guys in the area. So, I'd like some input on larger section road tires.
I started out on 32c Paselas but they are heavy, feel a bit wooden and not real sticky or sure footed in the corners. I switched down to 28c Rubino Pros, which are a LOT lighter, feel much more planted and sticky, but only run a measured 25mm on my 19mm rims (the Paselas run just over 30mm). They are also noticably more harsh in the lumps, which really goes counter to their more supple feel elsewhere. Must be a volume thing.
I've done some research and there really isn't much out there in a 32c tire. What I've found that might fit my needs are:

a) Conti Gatorskins: Only come in wire bead and takes a major weight penalty and some say they don't roll as well as they could. (~$47 ea)
b) Parigi Roubaix: Everything I read is that these are flats waiting to happen. (~$58 ea)
c) Grand Bois Cyprus: These seem to be the best reviewed of the lot. (~$62 ea)

Any thoughts on this or any other suggestions?

oldpotatoe
02-08-2013, 08:31 AM
Being that I'm just a biologist working for a state that hates state workers, I have no money and can only afford one road bike. Thus, I bought a Poprad. Sweet ride and I can run fatter tires, which really helps with the lumpy roads in my neck of the woods. Even though I don't own a CF wunderbike, I still like to ride fast and would love to take some KOMs from the Tri guys in the area. So, I'd like some input on larger section road tires.
I started out on 32c Paselas but they are heavy, feel a bit wooden and not real sticky or sure footed in the corners. I switched down to 28c Rubino Pros, which are a LOT lighter, feel much more planted and sticky, but only run a measured 25mm on my 19mm rims (the Paselas run just over 30mm). They are also noticably more harsh in the lumps, which really goes counter to their more supple feel elsewhere. Must be a volume thing.
I've done some research and there really isn't much out there in a 32c tire. What I've found that might fit my needs are:

a) Conti Gatorskins: Only come in wire bead and takes a major weight penalty and some say they don't roll as well as they could. (~$47 ea)
b) Parigi Roubaix: Everything I read is that these are flats waiting to happen. (~$58 ea)

Vittoria Rando Pro

http://www.vittoria.com/en/product/trekking/#product-4684

Likes2ridefar
02-08-2013, 08:48 AM
I really like my 32c schwalbe marathon plus. They are heavy and roll a little slow, but are great handling and riding tires that last a very long time. the end is nowhere near in site for my rear tire and it has thousands of miles on it commuting and riding around NYC. They are about as close to flat proof as you can get. Never had one.

they can be ridden with very low psi for comfort without worries of flats, in my experience. I've had them down to 15psi before. I usually pump them to around 80psi and then ride them until I start feeling them squirm which means air once every 6 weeks or maybe even longer...I never really timed it.

So check schwalbe. they have a few options in that size.

cp43
02-08-2013, 08:50 AM
I'd say take a look at the Vittoria Voyager Hyper. Used to be called the Randonneur Hyper. I've had a few sets, and really like them. They're listed at 70 grams lighter than the Randonneur Pro.

http://www.vittoria.com/en/product/touring/#product-4702

Chris

fiamme red
02-08-2013, 08:53 AM
I really like my 32c schwalbe marathon plus. They are heavy and roll a little slow, but are great handling and riding tires that last a very long time. the end is nowhere near in site for my rear tire and it has thousands of miles on it commuting and riding around NYC. They are about as close to flat proof as you can get. Never had one.Also check out the Marathon Supreme. Much lighter than the Marathon Plus, more expensive, pretty flat-resistant, but not completely flat-proof.

I've heard great things about the Grand Bois 32mm tires, but never used them myself.

Chance
02-08-2013, 08:58 AM
.... Sweet ride and I can run fatter tires, which really helps with the lumpy roads in my neck of the woods.

What makes your roads "lumpy"? Serious question. Have no idea what that means.:confused:

John Price
02-08-2013, 09:05 AM
I've ridden both the Marathon Supremes and Pasela Tour Guards and I'd recommend the Pasela's over the Supremes. Ride was more supple, spun up faster... So, if the OP doesn't like Paselas I'm guessing he also won't like the Supremes.

John

Likes2ridefar
02-08-2013, 09:08 AM
I loved the ride of the Pasela 35c I had. I just had durability issues with them. The sidewalls fell apart, but that was 8 o 9 years ago and I forget which model they were. I do remember them being brown on the sides.

skijoring
02-08-2013, 09:11 AM
Vittoria Hypers(Voyagers) or perhaps Schwalbe Kojaks in nominal size 35.

Lewis Moon
02-08-2013, 09:22 AM
What makes your roads "lumpy"? Serious question. Have no idea what that means.:confused:

Along the edge of the roads around here you'll get cracks in the black top. The cracks themselves aren't so bad but they seem to bulge up. Probably due to heat expansion (I live in AZ). Not as much of a problem if you stay in the traffic lane where the cars keep it pretty smooth, but you really have to ride ~+2 ft from the white line to get any relief. The cowboys in their monster trucks get a bit miffed if you impede their progress in the least. Also, while some chip sealed roads are OK, it seems if it's done repetedly you get something REALLY uneven and lumpy with probably a 1cm difference between the lumps and valleys.

sparky33
02-08-2013, 09:22 AM
Fat road tires are all about high-quality casing so they ride fast and cushy.

1. Grand Bois Cypres 32 (and new Extra Leger version) - fast and surprisingly durable. If I had to pick one tire, this would be it.

2. Challenge Grifo XS - yeah, it's a cross tire, but it has low file-tread that rolls nicely on pavement and grips on other surfaces.

3. Challenge Eroica - 700x30 (measures 31 or so). Fast and plump...think PRs but a tick bigger.
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8070/8177035334_194e6a7f86.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/27988383@N06/8177035334/)

sparky33
02-08-2013, 09:28 AM

PRs rock. They are very fast tires with a bit of cush. Folks yammer on about flats with Parigi Roubaix. My experience has been that they are as durable as other non-armored tires, which is to say fine and not prone to flatting. Just don't ride through goat-heads and glass.

Lewis Moon
02-08-2013, 09:32 AM
I've ridden both the Marathon Supremes and Pasela Tour Guards and I'd recommend the Pasela's over the Supremes. Ride was more supple, spun up faster... So, if the OP doesn't like Paselas I'm guessing he also won't like the Supremes.

John

I can't put my finger on it but my 32c Paselas didn't really inspire confidence in the corners. They felt buzzy and not at all planted. I figure the tread compound is probably pretty hard, and with any type of pattern in the tread, you end up with less tire on the road. I've always loved the feel of sticky "slicks" in corners. It's my belief that, in bike tires, traction comes from the tread compound and any pattern just screws that up. It doesn't rain much in AZ and anyway, I figure the "rain grooves" I see in a lot of tires are just there to make folks feel better.

Likes2ridefar
02-08-2013, 09:33 AM
I can't put my finger on it but my 32c Paselas didn't really inspire confidence in the corners. They felt buzzy and not at all planted. I figure the tread compound is probably pretty hard, and with any type of pattern in the tread, you end up with less tire on the road. I've always loved the feel of sticky "slicks" in corners. It's my belief that, in bike tires, traction comes from the tread compound and any pattern just screws that up. It doesn't rain much in AZ and anyway, and I figure the "rain grooves" I see in a lot of tires are just there to make folks feel better.

maybe adjust the PSI? those big tires are usually better run at much lower psi than even what is recommended on the tire itself. my marathon plus says something like 85 minimum. It's a rock at that psi for my 155lb carcass.

sparky33
02-08-2013, 09:43 AM
maybe adjust the PSI? those big tires are usually better run at much lower psi than even what is recommended on the tire itself. my marathon plus says something like 85 minimum. It's a rock at that psi for my 155lb carcass.

85lbs is absurd. I'm 155lb also and 60 feels good.

I reluctantly admit that Berto wasn't far off the mark:
http://www.bikequarterly.com/images/TireDrop.pdf

Lewis Moon
02-08-2013, 09:43 AM

I ran 70f, 75r on the Paselas.

GRAVELBIKE
02-08-2013, 10:30 AM
Vittoria Randonneur/Voyager Hyper would be worth considering. They run a little wider than claimed, are durable, and are reasonably supple.

If you want something in the 28mm range, the Schwalbe Durano runs true-to-size, and rides nicely.

How much pressure did you run in the Paselas? I run the 28mm at 75f/85r, and they perform well (I weigh 195).

Likes2ridefar
02-08-2013, 10:31 AM
Vittoria Randonneur/Voyager Hyper would be worth considering. They run a little wider than claimed, are durable, and are reasonably supple.

If you want something in the 28mm range, the Schwalbe Durano runs true-to-size, and rides nicely.

How much pressure did you run in the Paselas? I run the 28mm at 75f/85r, and they perform well (I weigh 195).

I really like the durano as well. I use the plus version in 25 on my road bike for training miles. Lasts a long time and it is highly flat resistant and rides as nice as most race tires.

modernfuturist
02-08-2013, 10:37 AM
I would recommend Rivendell Jack Brown Blues/Greens. 700x33.3 but I doubt your Poprad would have problems clearing them.

Lewis Moon
02-08-2013, 10:43 AM

Does the Durano run true to size on 19mm rims? I only ask that because I got burned on the 28c Rubino Pros which are barely 25c.
As I stated in a previous post, at 180+ lbs, I ran my 32c Paselas at 70 f/75 r.

GRAVELBIKE
02-08-2013, 10:45 AM
Does the Durano run true to size on 19mm rims? I only ask that because I got burned on the 28c Rubino Pros which are barely 25c.
As I stated in a previous post, at 180+ lbs, I ran my 32c Paselas at 70 f/75 r.

Unfortunately, all my rims/wheels are 23mm wide.

chwupper
02-08-2013, 10:48 AM
I like Marathon Racers a lot. Smooth ride and quite durable. I've done street and trail riding on them, semi-loaded down at times, well north of 1000 miles, and never a problem.

goonster
02-08-2013, 10:48 AM
I can't put my finger on it but my 32c Paselas didn't really inspire confidence in the corners. They felt buzzy and not at all planted.
Paselas have a bit of a "ridge" in the center of the tread. They feel better when that has worn down a bit.

As others have said, reducing pressure a bit may help with this too.

GRAVELBIKE
02-08-2013, 10:52 AM
Paselas have a bit of a "ridge" in the center of the tread. They feel better when that has worn down a bit.

As others have said, reducing pressure a bit may help with this too.

The larger Paselas do feel a bit squirmy when cornering. I find that the 28mm sizes feels more secure/stable.

Lewis Moon
02-08-2013, 11:07 AM
The larger Paselas do feel a bit squirmy when cornering. I find that the 28mm sizes feels more secure/stable.

I think you hit the feel of the Paselas in corners right on the head. That may be an artifact of running them on narrow rims, but I don't see a new set of wheels in the near future. I always hate it when I heel over in a corner and I hear the hum of the tires turn to a squelching noise. This isn't just confined to size, my 23c Mich. Lithion 2s squelched noticably on the same rims at 105 lbs pressure. The Rubino Pros feel MUCH better with zero squelch, but they don't make them bigger than "28c".

Keith A
02-08-2013, 11:18 AM
It's pretty interesting this subject came up as I was looking at the tires on my wife's hybrid last night and they really need replacing. So I'm also looking for a 32mm or 35mm tire for her. Has anyone used Micheline's Pilot Sport or City tire?

Kirk007
02-08-2013, 11:26 AM
The Grand Bois are sweet. Note that the 30s measure out at 32 so I suspect the 32s are a bit wider, and that's on narrow rims.

john903
02-08-2013, 11:32 AM
I run Schwalbe marathon racer 700x30 at 75psi front 80psi rear on Mavic op's and they ride very comfortable and are not too heavy 395g for folding tire. I have ridden gravel roads, commuted in winter, and fast group rides with them I have had only one flat in 1500 mi. I think biketiresdirect or westernbikeworks has them at good prices give them a try.
Have a great day.

donevwil
02-08-2013, 11:44 AM
Your assessment of 32 Gatorskins is correct. 28 wire beads felt acceptable, but the 32s feel like they’re slogging through mud. 32 Paselas (even wire bead) are great bang for the buck, better than gators and most others at twice the price. Jack Browns are nice, feel big, but handle well. Expanded budget I’ll 2nd (or 20th) the Cypres. They are sublime and not even comparable to any others I have tried. I’m 240# and run 70 front/75 rear in most all 32s.

v531xc
02-08-2013, 11:46 AM
I used to ride the Bontrager race-lite hardcase in a 32mm. It measured true to size, maybe more like a 33mm on 19mm rims. It was a pretty fast rolling tire and plenty comfy at pressure ranging from 65-100psi, albeit a little heavy but they have flat protection. I weigh 170#, fwiw.

I often had them pumped up higher on that range for fast city commuting and courier work, but would let some air out for trail riding and snowy conditions. They were cheap and lasted me a solid three years of regular riding. I have another set of 25mm on my city bike now that measure a little smaller than marked and they've been going strong for a couple years but will soon be replaced by t-servs due to wear in the tread.

Other than that, I'd try some Conti Top-touring (or whatever they're called now) or Panaracer T-servs, but if you don't like Paselas, you might not like the T-serv. The Schwalbe Marathon Pro is a great tire, but I've only tried it in a 37mm on my old touring bike so can't attest to speed.

fourflys
02-08-2013, 11:59 AM
Big fan of the Clement Strada tires here... I've heard they are working on a 30mm tire, I ride the 28's and really like them... Really curious about the Eroicas as well...

Have used Paselas and never really thought they rode all that well...

sparky33
02-08-2013, 11:59 AM
The Grand Bois are sweet. Note that the 30s measure out at 32 so I suspect the 32s are a bit wider, and that's on narrow rims.

The 30 and 32 Grand Bois (Cypres) are the same tire - the difference is a label. Old label/description said 30, but the new label/description says 32 because that is the actual size on a standard rim, and the US distributor wanted to communicate that.

Marburg
02-08-2013, 12:03 PM
I'd suggest looking at the Riv Jack Browns as well. I have to admit I have not used them myself, but have gone through many, many Ruffy-Tuffy/Rolly-Pollys and have been quite happy. The RP/RT and Jack Browns are the same other than size (28-ish vs 33-ish), no?

carlineng
02-08-2013, 12:10 PM
Comfiest tire I've ridden so far is the Challenge Parigi-Roubaix. Measures ~29mm on my 19mm rim. Haven't tried the Eroica, which is supposedly a slightly wider version. For reference, other tires I've ridden extensively are Pasela TG 35s, Grand Bois Cerf 26, Conti GP4000s and Rivendell Ruffy Tuffys.

As a caveat, the PRs do tend to get flats more often than others, so if your roads have lots of glass shards or goatheads, I'd recommend something else.

Lewis Moon
02-08-2013, 12:31 PM
Comfiest tire I've ridden so far is the Challenge Parigi-Roubaix. Measures ~29mm on my 19mm rim. Haven't tried the Eroica, which is supposedly a slightly wider version. For reference, other tires I've ridden extensively are Pasela TG 35s, Grand Bois Cerf 26, Conti GP4000s and Rivendell Ruffy Tuffys.

As a caveat, the PRs do tend to get flats more often than others, so if your roads have lots of glass shards or goatheads, I'd recommend something else.

Flats are a consideration...maybe just not as big a consideration as I may have thought. In the 3500 miles I've done since April I've had one (maybe two) flats on my road bike that were due to puncture. The only other one was because I goobered the bead set.
I live in AZ, land of cactus, sharp stones and cowboys throwing beer bottles out of their jacked up pick-em-ups. Go figure. I'll probably have three this afternoon.

skijoring
02-08-2013, 12:40 PM
Flats are a consideration...maybe just not as big a consideration as I may have thought. In the 3500 miles I've done since April I've had one (maybe two) flats on my road bike that were due to puncture. The only other one was because I goobered the bead set.
I live in AZ, land of cactus, sharp stones and cowboys throwing beer bottles out of their jacked up pick-em-ups. Go figure. I'll probably have three this afternoon.

Definitely exclude the Parigi Roubaix tire. Go with something a bit more protected.

palincss
02-08-2013, 12:56 PM
I can't put my finger on it but my 32c Paselas didn't really inspire confidence in the corners. They felt buzzy and not at all planted.

What was your total weight, and how much pressure did you have in the tires?

palincss
02-08-2013, 12:59 PM

That was the "old style" Pasela. The new style does not have a center ridge. The old style 32mm Paselas are narrower on an Open Pro rim than the ostensibly 27mm Parigi Roubaix. The new style 32mm Pasela is about 1.5% narrower than the 30mm Grand Bois Cypres (at least, that's how much odometer error I get when I switch to the Paselas without recalibrating roll-out).

Lewis Moon
02-08-2013, 01:04 PM
What was your total weight, and how much pressure did you have in the tires?

Heh....for the second or third time: I weigh 180+-, bike is ~20 and I run the tires 70F/75R.

...I know, I know...it was buried in a three page thread.

Lewis Moon
02-08-2013, 01:22 PM
I'd suggest looking at the Riv Jack Browns as well. I have to admit I have not used them myself, but have gone through many, many Ruffy-Tuffy/Rolly-Pollys and have been quite happy. The RP/RT and Jack Browns are the same other than size (28-ish vs 33-ish), no?

Just a quick question: I've herd the JBs referred to as "Pasela Slicks". Any input here?

1/2 Wheeler
02-08-2013, 01:26 PM
I have been stunned by the performance of these cheap tires from Nashbar.

Very fast.

http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10053_10052_527539_-1___202472

Chance
02-08-2013, 02:45 PM
Along the edge of the roads around here you'll get cracks in the black top. The cracks themselves aren't so bad but they seem to bulge up. Probably due to heat expansion (I live in AZ). Not as much of a problem if you stay in the traffic lane where the cars keep it pretty smooth, but you really have to ride ~+2 ft from the white line to get any relief. The cowboys in their monster trucks get a bit miffed if you impede their progress in the least. Also, while some chip sealed roads are OK, it seems if it's done repetedly you get something REALLY uneven and lumpy with probably a 1cm difference between the lumps and valleys.

Thanks. Wasn't familiar with that term.

If the lumps are indeed 1 cm in height it seems doubtful to me that tire or frame-material variations would make all that much difference. Wouldn't think any road tire inflated to enough pressure to reduce rolling resistance for fast road riding would conform over lumps enough to reduce the up and down choppiness.

Chance
02-08-2013, 02:52 PM

Have you tried regular-size tires for fast road rides just to see what happens? Like 23s or 25s? From your post it sounds like you started with 32s and worked down to 28s. Maybe the bike will handle more to your liking with skinnier tires. Don't know but may be worth trying. Maybe can borrow tires and or wheels from another bike or friend just to test it if you haven't already. Perhaps the tires just being fatter is what you don't like without knowing it.

palincss
02-08-2013, 04:14 PM
Heh....for the second or third time: I weigh 180+-, bike is ~20 and I run the tires 70F/75R.

...I know, I know...it was buried in a three page thread.

That's the pressure I use, and I + bike weigh at least 30 lb more than you do. I suggest you try 5 - 10 psi less in each tire.

illdthedj
02-08-2013, 05:44 PM
some already great suggestions already...ill second continentals and schwalbes.

but ill throw another suggestion out there that i might receive some flack about, but whatever:

fyxation sessions...

Now, this company does focus on the whole street fixed gear culture with lots of color options for their tires (and grips and other products) but honestly i've found their fyxation session 700x28s to be extremely high quality tires.

they run big for a 28c, feeling more like 29 or 30.

the ride quality feels nice, i appreciate the tread wrapping around to the sidewall, traction feels solid (especially when wet), have had them for a few years and they wear quite well, good puncture resistance...

they are pricey at around 40-50, but considering that they are high quality.
also, they might be up the OP's alley because while they are aimed at the street fixed gear scene of psuedo track bikes, its because of that that they are well suited for urban streets where pot holes, debris, and bad roads are common.

they are a little on the heavy side but the traction, durability, ride quality, and flat protection make up for it.

just my 2cents.

http://gomeansgo.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/fyxation_session_700_whitewalls2.jpg

they do come in all black, but i am keen on these white walls :)

etu
02-08-2013, 08:28 PM
you'll obviously be best off figuring out what works for you from all the great recommendations made here, but i seems that you have to make a compromise between durability and ride quality.
i've had experience with 3 different 700x28 tires - Conti Gastorskin, Challenge Parigi-Roubaix, and Gran Bois. The Conti was tough but had a terrible ride quality and felt really slow. The Parigi-Roubaix felt great, but was fragile. Gran Bois has been just right for me - feels supple like Parigi-Roubaix, but has tad bit more rubber on it.
if you ride a lot, you'll need to replace worn tires and should be able to experiment and determine what your preferences are.

dmurphey
02-08-2013, 10:20 PM
I have tried a bunch and settled on Panaracer Pacela T serve 32 x 700's for fat tire service. They are light, handle well, flat resistant, and reasonable priced. PR's are fragile. I tried a skinnier Grand Bois and they were fragile as well. These T serves are sturdy and feel good.