PDA

View Full Version : Help Spend my Money on a New Wheelset

Toddtwenty2
02-07-2013, 03:21 PM
I recently purchased the following framset built by Dave. *Note that the picture shows how it was built by the first owner.

At the time of purchase, I simply threw everything I had lying around on it so that I could ride it immediately. It is undoubtedly the nicest bicycle I have ridden, and I feel very fortunate to have acquired it. That being said, those beautiful fillet-brazed joints and terraplane stays don't deserve a frankenstein mix of aged components and wheels. It is under dressed.

Due to this fact, I have picked up a new nitto post and stem, a used ti brooks swallow, and some matching handlebra tape. I also have a new athena group in the mail. I could've gone lighter, but that's not the main goal here. I enjoy the classic, shiny-bits aesthetic, and, although I put a lot of miles on my bikes, I don't race. I like a comfortable bike that will reliably haul my 175 lbs around without mechanical issue.

I've been debating about which wheels to go with, and I'm leaning toward some 32 hole front and rear H+Son Archetype rims with White Industry hubs (both Silver). The wider rims have piqued my interest. Any other suggestions? Any recommendations on preferred wheelbuilders (I'm in the bay area)? Cost is a consideration, though I'm open to everyone's thoughts.

Thanks

Ahneida Ride
02-07-2013, 03:26 PM
I vote for White Hubs ...

Secure the services of a good wheel builder ....

EDS
02-07-2013, 03:51 PM
I have the exact set-up you are considering (minus 8 spokes up front and 4 in back) laced 2x front and rear with Sapim CX-rays and have been very satisfied after the first 1000 miles. Baring a crash, I expect them to be problem free untilt he rims wear out.

I should note that I also weight between 170 and 175 lbs.

Toddtwenty2
02-07-2013, 04:01 PM
I have the exact set-up you are considering (minus 8 spokes up front and 4 in back) laced 2x front and rear with Sapim CX-rays and have been very satisfied after the first 1000 miles. Baring a crash, I expect them to be problem free untilt he rims wear out.

I should note that I also weight between 170 and 175 lbs.

Thanks for the reply.

Do you notice any lateral flex with 24f 28r? My wife's bike has some Mavics that are 16f 20r, and they feel like riding on limp noodles. I'd rather be over-spoked than under, but I haven't done enough testing to find a proper middle-ground.

GRAVELBIKE
02-07-2013, 04:06 PM
I'm currently running Archetypes laced to BHS hubs. Sapim Laser spokes in front (28), and Sapim race in back (32). The build was done by Peter @ Vecchio's in Boulder. Great wheels, even for off-road use (I run 28mm tires).

EDS
02-07-2013, 04:30 PM
Thanks for the reply.

Do you notice any lateral flex with 24f 28r? My wife's bike has some Mavics that are 16f 20r, and they feel like riding on limp noodles. I'd rather be over-spoked than under, but I haven't done enough testing to find a proper middle-ground.

No more lateral flex than in other wheels I have used. These replaced a set of DT Swiss RR 465 rims with 32 spokes and a set of Velomax Circuits.

Toddtwenty2
02-07-2013, 04:38 PM
Thank you.

I'll plan to keep the combo of WI hubs and Archetype rims. I appreciate the advice to consider dropping the spoke count. I'll run it by the wheelbuilder.

Best,
Todd

Ken Robb
02-07-2013, 04:50 PM
Thank you.
consider dropping the spoke count. I'll run it by the wheelbuilder.

Best,
Todd

Maybe I'll beat Old Potato to asking: why? Spokes don't weigh much. Break one spoke of 32 and you ride home and fix it. Break one of 24 and you are waiting for your team support truck.

Toddtwenty2
02-07-2013, 04:54 PM
Maybe I'll beat Old Potato to asking: why? Spokes don't weigh much. Break one spoke of 32 and you ride home and fix it. Break one of 24 and you are waiting for your team support truck.

Agreed. The most I'd consider dropping is 4 in the front (28/32). I intend to keep weight to a reasonable minimum. By reasonable, I only mean that I'd like the lightest wheelset that I never need to touch or worry about. I currently ride 32/32 on a set of Record Rims and Mavic Open Pros on my other bike, and I love that I haven't had to think about them in 2 years of riding.

JeremyS
02-07-2013, 05:03 PM
I'm building a set of Pacenti SL23 laced to Alchemy Elf/Orc hubs. 28/32 hole.

Not sure on spokes yet, but should be a midweight alloy wheelset that's pretty bombproof, and splits the classic/modern divide.

Toddtwenty2
02-07-2013, 05:11 PM

Not sure on spokes yet, but should be a midweight alloy wheelset that's pretty bombproof, and splits the classic/modern divide.

I really like the look of those Alchemy hubs. They are lighter than the WI hubs, and I appreciate the lack of branding. I'm not sure if they're worth the extra cost to me, but I certainly appreciate you mentioning them.

The Pacenti SL23 would be at the top of my list for rim considerations if it came in silver like the Archetype. Perhaps for another project...

GRAVELBIKE
02-07-2013, 05:20 PM

I've got a similar set coming from Ergott (WI hubs, though).

carpediemracing
02-07-2013, 05:59 PM
My experience with Ardennes rims is that the lower count version sold prebuilt (18/24, sold as "HED Bastognes" in 2010) work fine for me. I hate limp wheels, I sprint out of the saddle, and I've been 160-180 lbs on the wheels. I've been as high as 215 lbs in the last 10 years and I think the wheels would be fine based on my experience with various wheels I've had at my admittedly wide range of weights.

I think the circa 2005 steel spoked Campy Eurus were good too, and they were 16/21 spokes.

If you get a good stiff rim and run reasonably high tension the wheel should be stiff.

You'll actually get brake rub if you have a really stiff rim with less-than-enough spoke tension - instead of flexing halfway up the rim the rim doesn't flex and instead tilts around the hub. This causes the rim to rub the brakes.

DRietz
02-07-2013, 06:00 PM
You should buy these:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=123761

dd74
02-07-2013, 08:12 PM
Shamals. Hands down. That's too nice a frame for anything less.

rnhood
02-07-2013, 08:33 PM
You're running the best drive train on the market so why not run the best clinchers on the market - the Dura Ace 9000 C24's. Keep it in the family.

pdmtong
02-07-2013, 09:11 PM
You're running the best drive train on the market so why not run the best clinchers on the market - the Dura Ace 9000 C24's. Keep it in the family. for a DA build, that's a great choice

oldpotatoe
02-08-2013, 07:39 AM
Agreed. The most I'd consider dropping is 4 in the front (28/32). I intend to keep weight to a reasonable minimum. By reasonable, I only mean that I'd like the lightest wheelset that I never need to touch or worry about. I currently ride 32/32 on a set of Record Rims and Mavic Open Pros on my other bike, and I love that I haven't had to think about them in 2 years of riding.

Remember that 2 spokes weigh about 30 grams..1/2 the weight of a powerbar.

What about you? are you a heavy or light rider in terms of technique and weight? Are you tough on equipment?

Budget? Campagnolo or shimano/sram?

thwart
02-08-2013, 07:58 AM
I also have a new athena group in the mail.

You're running the best drive train on the market so why not run the best clinchers on the market - the Dura Ace 9000 C24's. Keep it in the family.
Whoa. Did something happen overnight in the bike industry that I haven't heard about yet?

oldpotatoe
02-08-2013, 08:07 AM
Whoa. Did something happen overnight in the bike industry that I haven't heard about yet?

No, I'll bet he looked at the pic, didn't notice the 'built the way the previous owner built it', in spite of the Campagnolo levers...etc. Saw the DA crank..yes that sort of incest is possible.

sparky33
02-08-2013, 08:21 AM

Fairly excited about the Pacenti SL23s also...a better, cheaper and available cousin to the terrific HED C2. I'm getting some laced 24/28 to DT240s.

cmg
02-08-2013, 08:35 AM
check out the Fairwheel 2013 Rim Roundup, compares some of their rims. The Velocity A23 is similar to their Aerohead and at around 425 grams it's the lightest of the 23mm width rims on the market. have a fun read http://fairwheelbikes.com/cycling-blog/products/2013-rim-roundup.html

bluesea
02-08-2013, 10:04 AM
Campy Neutrons Babeee! For hand built, Record hubs from o-po-ta-toe.

GRAVELBIKE
02-23-2013, 06:54 PM
Here's a pic of the new Pacenti SL23 rim:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8368/8502256056_744ac34b19.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/justridingalong/8502256056/)

Appearance-wise, they remind me of a more refined (Velocity) A23. More pics/details here (http://www.gravelbike.com/?p=1735).

luno
02-23-2013, 08:46 PM
since weight apparently is not a big issue, i'd build some black or grey h+son TB14s to WI or CK hubs, then drop a little money on nice tires, like vittoria open corsa sc's or similar. latex tubes if tu es le balleur.

teleguy57
02-23-2013, 09:31 PM
@luno -- curious why you like the tb-14s over the archtypes? box section aesthetics, ride quality, something else?

soulspinner
02-24-2013, 04:54 AM

Think Im gonna try this exact setup to go with the dt 240/465/415(front) I already have.

Uncle Jam's Army
02-24-2013, 11:25 AM
Having used all sorts of hubs (Alchemy, CK, Dura Ace, etc.), from now on I will not use anything other than DT Swiss 240's. Not sexy, not new, not the widest flange spacing, not the lightest, but they'll never let you down. Set it and forget it. That, to me, is priceless. Spent too much time having other hubs serviced, adjusted, rebuilt.

So, I say use your favorite rim and lace it to a DT Swiss 240.

soulspinner
02-24-2013, 12:46 PM
Having used all sorts of hubs (Alchemy, CK, Dura Ace, etc.), from now on I will not use anything other than DT Swiss 240's. Not sexy, not new, not the widest flange spacing, not the lightest, but they'll never let you down. Set it and forget it. That, to me, is priceless. Spent too much time having other hubs serviced, adjusted, rebuilt.

I hear what u r sayin....have a set that is still sooo smooooth after mucho miles

oldpotatoe
02-25-2013, 07:48 AM

Have ya looked at DT 350? Innards the same as 240, less $, by a lot.