PDA

View Full Version : campy carbon cranks

Fixed
11-06-2005, 09:27 PM
bro I heard this so why are none of the campy sponsored sprinters on carbon cranks? cheers :beer:

Serpico
11-06-2005, 09:40 PM
What did you hear?

I'm a big guy and I'm planning on getting a Chorus carbon crank--is there something I should know?

Thanks

Fixed
11-06-2005, 09:59 PM
bro i just saw the world champs. bike and no carbon cranks. cheers :beer:

shinomaster
11-06-2005, 10:46 PM
Which poor slob lost his toy cranks?

Serpico
11-07-2005, 10:54 AM
bump

divve
11-07-2005, 11:59 AM
You should check out the bikes of McEwen, Petacchi and Cipo.

Ziggurat
11-07-2005, 12:37 PM
You should check out the bikes of McEwen, Petacchi and Cipo.

:beer:

petacchi
http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2004/tech/news/may21/cn_04giro_04.jpg

mcewen
http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2005/tour05/tech/mcewen_ridley/IMG_0362.jpg

bostondrunk
11-07-2005, 01:13 PM
I've always thought the new Record (and Chorus) carbon cranks were really ugly.....not a very defined? looking spider, just a marbley blob....

zap
11-07-2005, 03:04 PM
Fast Freddy rode record carbon cranks in '04. No idea what he was on this past season.

The stuff works and the square bb (well, at least PW) works too.

divve
11-07-2005, 03:04 PM
If you go even farther back you can find him on Shimano. Instead, try something from '05 when Fassa switched to carbon Record cranks.

Petacchi
http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2005/worlds05/worlds056/58.jpg

Cipo
http://grahamwatson.com/gw/imagedocs.nsf/images/05milansanremo/$file/3.jpg

divve
11-07-2005, 03:09 PM
I've always thought the new Record (and Chorus) carbon cranks were really ugly.....not a very defined? looking spider, just a marbley blob....

There's indeed no conventional weave present. In real it looks more like plastered filament.

musgravecycles
11-07-2005, 06:14 PM
Petacchi '05 Vuelta
Not carbon...

WChamp's bike...

divve
11-07-2005, 07:31 PM
During the Vuelta Petacchi wasn't always on Campy cranks. He was doing some testing with SRM stuff and that finish was on his spare bike.

Due to his problems with FSA cranks last year, it's said that Boonen didn't want carbon cranks anymore because of psychological reasons.

.....not sure what the whole point of this thread is to begin with. Carbon Record cranks are considerably stiffer than their aluminum counter parts (not that it actually matters in performance either way).

Serpico
11-07-2005, 07:49 PM

Due to his problems with FSA cranks last year, it's said that Boonen didn't want carbon cranks anymore because of psychological reasons.

I don't care about stiffness as much as durability. I'm a clyde+ about to buy a Chorus crankset--should I get alloy or carbon?

thanks

Serotta PETE
11-07-2005, 08:09 PM
I truly believe that either will serve you well. Final determination should be which one you like "looks wise" and "budget wise".

There is nothing like the understated beauty of the satin finish BUT also nothing like the high tech look of carbon. Go with which one that you want.

PETE

jerk
11-07-2005, 08:30 PM
the carbon cranks don't feel the same.

jerk

Serpico
11-07-2005, 08:45 PM
the carbon cranks don't feel the same.

jerk

uhh, I don't even know what "the same" feels like... so, anymore info would be appreciated

aesthetically I like the carbon, but I want something that is durable and I feel comfortable riding--I'm not racing or breaking any records :p I just need something that's solid and I feel comfortable with, connected to

thanks

divve
11-08-2005, 03:05 AM
The carbon appears durable to me, but I haven't broken them so I don't know for sure. If I had to make a judgement call, I'd say aluminum has a greater chance of lasting however. The finish is harder, it's less susceptible to chipping and scuffing, and no chance of the connecting metal parts to become unglued (however unlikely).

BTW, I'd go with Record aluminum instead of Chorus. The coating/impregnation on the chainrings rides and shifts smoother.

ergott
11-08-2005, 06:58 AM
aesthetically I like the carbon, but I want something that is durable and I feel comfortable riding--I'm not racing or breaking any records :p I just need something that's solid and I feel comfortable with, connected to

thanks

Either pay the money for the aesthetics or save your money and get the Al. Both will suit your needs fine. One is cheaper. Non racing applications don't require the "lightest, stiffest" etc.

In fact, the only people that really "NEED" the lastest, greatest are the people that get the stuff for free. The rest of us "want" the latest, greatest and that's OK too.

Too Tall
11-08-2005, 07:03 AM
Serpico, I'm reading between the lines??? If you have cobbles about carbon than choose from the many groovy alum. gearsets available and start worrying about more important things like will you use yellow Tressostar tape shellac and hemp twine? Inquiring minds want to know.

Fixed
11-08-2005, 07:05 AM
The carbon appears durable to me, but I haven't broken them so I don't know for sure. If I had to make a judgement call, I'd say aluminum has a greater chance of lasting however. The finish is harder, it's less susceptible to chipping and scuffing, and no chance of the connecting metal parts to become unglued (however unlikely).

BTW, I'd go with Record aluminum instead of Chorus. The coating/impregnation on the chainrings rides and shifts smoother.
I agree I have 10 year old chorus cranks and they are still great cheers :beer:

Jeff N.
11-08-2005, 08:29 AM
I don't care about stiffness as much as durability. I'm a clyde+ about to buy a Chorus crankset--should I get alloy or carbon?

thanksGo alloy. There. Somebody said it. Jeff N.

saab2000
11-08-2005, 08:57 AM
I have a Record Carbon crank on my Strong. It will go onto my Bianchi which I am soon to get, along with the rest of the Record stuff from my Strong. Personally, I can't tell a difference between this and my aluminum cranks, except I know that I am cooler because it cost a lot more money. :beer:

PS - Yes, in case y'all were wondering, that is a Veloflex Criterium in that picture, glued to a Nucleon wheel with Vittoria Mastik tubular cement.

Too Tall
11-08-2005, 09:10 AM
Well done Saab and yes we knew that...we keep track of these things ;)

saab2000
11-08-2005, 09:22 AM
Well done Saab and yes we knew that...we keep track of these things ;)

I know you know that. I just luv rubbin' it in! :beer:

Big Dan
11-08-2005, 09:25 AM
saab is the chain carbon too???

Just messing around...... :D

Simple Green works pretty good....

saab2000
11-08-2005, 09:43 AM
Cleaning takes too much time. Yeah, it is a bit grimy. Just proves that I ride the thing... :beer:

Fixed
11-08-2005, 09:46 AM
bro old bike racers always have dirty chains i.m.h.o. cheers :beer:

saab2000
11-08-2005, 09:49 AM
Who you callin' old????????? 38=old...............

Maybe. Just remember that Joop Zoetemelk won the Worlds at 38, and he looked about 60.

Roger Clemens is 44 or something like that and still mows the kids down.

:beer:

Fixed
11-08-2005, 09:57 AM
bro no disrespect ment I just ment you 've been a racer for awhile in fact you are one the guys I respect the most on the fourm . cheers :beer:

Big Dan
11-08-2005, 10:40 AM
I was just playing with Saab.
He rides and rides......

I'm just silly today

:p