PDA

View Full Version : USADA Extends Armstrong Deadline

pbarry
02-07-2013, 08:38 AM
http://velonews.competitor.com/2013/02/news/usada-grants-armstrong-two-week-extension-to-cooperate_274209

BOULDER, Colorado (VN) — Lance Armstrong may open up to the the United States Anti-Doping Agency after all.

USADA confirmed Wednesday afternoon the disgraced cyclist was in talks with the agency, and that Armstrong has been granted a two-week extension to determine if, and how, he can help mop up a sport’s floor upon which he was a stain himself.

“We have been in communication with Mr. Armstrong and his representatives and we understand that he does want to be part of the solution and assist in the effort to clean up the sport of cycling,” said USADA CEO Travis Tygart in a statement. “We have agreed to his request for an additional two weeks to work on details to hopefully allow for this to happen.”

Wednesday was the deadline for Armstrong to cooperate with USADA — the anti-doping body that eviscerated his career results when it proved he doped his way to seven now-stripped Tour wins — if he hoped to avoid the lifetime ban he’s been saddled with.

BumbleBeeDave
02-07-2013, 09:28 AM
. . . "eviscerated his career results" . . . :eek: :)

He's gonna be bargaining hard and probably confabbing with his whole lawyer team on exactly what he CAN say to get some concessions from USADA and WADA without exposing him to further civil liability to SCA, Sunday Times, and the Landis whistleblower suit and criminal exposure in the witness intimidation matter.

Oh to be a fly on the wall in there . . . :rolleyes:

BBD

darylb
02-07-2013, 10:08 AM
. . . "eviscerated his career results" . . . :eek: :)

He's gonna be bargaining hard and probably confabbing with his whole lawyer team on exactly what he CAN say to get some concessions from USADA and WADA without exposing him to further civil liability to SCA, Sunday Times, and the Landis whistleblower suit and criminal exposure in the witness intimidation matter.

Oh to be a fly on the wall in there . . . :rolleyes:

BBD

Or to determine how many people and/or organizations to throw under the bus. It's not just Lance who stands to lose if the entire truth is told. Same with all sports though. They make it seem like the athlete is so terrible when the entire structure promotes if not encourages use.

54ny77
02-07-2013, 10:13 AM
USADA to adopt risk rating categories for cyclists: Cutter, Select, Choice and Prime.

shovelhd
02-07-2013, 11:23 AM
He doesn't have a lot of negotiating leverage. The money shot will be Lance on his knees begging to Travis.

pbarry
02-07-2013, 11:26 AM
[I]
Oh to be a fly on the wall in there . . . :rolleyes:BBD

Just to see a bit of this:

Mikej
02-07-2013, 01:23 PM
For all we know some big names could fall, not just cyclists.

slidey
02-07-2013, 02:18 PM
I'm quite sure the extra 2 weeks is going into make sure that no big names fall. If LA cooperates, it stands to reason that he can wiggle his way into cycling sooner than expected...since, it'd seem everything's on the table now. Why then would he diminish his returns on his comeback? I'm quite sure they'll be sacrificing minions for the betterment of the profits.

Or, maybe I'm just a cynic :cool:

For all we know some big names could fall, not just cyclists.

CunegoFan
02-07-2013, 02:33 PM
I don't see how he can testify under oath when there are two criminal investigations and a $12M civil suit hanging over his head. What lawyer would give his okay for that?