PDA

View Full Version : Bontrager limits replacement parts

kdlnet
02-06-2013, 01:57 PM
I wrote to Bontrager to find a replacement face plate for the very expensive carbon stem Race XXX Lite I purchased a few years ago. I would have thought it was an easy task. They responded by saying that "Unfortunately we do not offer replacement face plates for stems. Since the stem is carbon fiber, we do offer a Loyalty discount to any owner for 20% a replacement stem. This can be offered through your local Trek retailer upon the surrender of the old part. "

Imagine that, they will give me a 20% discount on a perfectly good stem because they don't sell the face plate which is a $10-15 dollar part that many other manufacturers sell to their customers.

I have a $500 Bontrager investment on one bike between stem and handlebar. Looks like Bontrager lost a customer.

Nooch
02-06-2013, 02:01 PM
I'm sure that sucks, but that's not really the kind of first post people on this forum come to expect... If you're only here to bash on a manufacturer, you might want to look elsewhere... I understand that you want to scream it from the roof tops, but go about it a little more tactfully.

zap
02-06-2013, 02:02 PM
Maybe something got lost in translation.

Go to your local Trek shop for assistance.

soupless
02-06-2013, 02:10 PM
If it's the carbon stem that looks like a normal stem (not the crazy zipp made one) then a faceplate from most Ritchey WCS stems will work ok. I know because I did it myself.

MattTuck
02-06-2013, 02:11 PM
Not sure if you're looking for a solution or just unhappy with Bont.... what happened to the faceplate of the current stem? damaged in a crash? lost?

I'm not sure I'd expect a manufacturer to stock replacement parts to an item for multiple years. If you could figure out the specs for it, you might be able to have a machine shop fabricate something for you.

kdlnet
02-06-2013, 02:17 PM
I'm sure that sucks, but that's not really the kind of first post people on this forum come to expect... If you're only here to bash on a manufacturer, you might want to look elsewhere... I understand that you want to scream it from the roof tops, but go about it a little more tactfully.

Sorry, not trying to bash the manufacturer but if my manner is inappropriate then I will modify my ways. Thank you for letting me know.

kdlnet
02-06-2013, 02:18 PM
Maybe something got lost in translation.

Go to your local Trek shop for assistance.

I will thank you

kdlnet
02-06-2013, 02:20 PM
The chrome layer over the aluminum has flaked off and the aluminum is corroding a bit. The stem is in great condition. Thank you for everyone's advise.

Charles M
02-06-2013, 02:34 PM
Most companies can't stock parts for everything they make for "a few years", Especially the majors...

If it were a warranty item, they would take care of it. Otherwise they're giving up more with the 20% discount than the cost of the part you need.

I would say its not necessarily a bad deal...

zap
02-06-2013, 02:34 PM
The chrome layer over the aluminum has flaked off and the aluminum is corroding a bit. The stem is in great condition. Thank you for everyone's advise.

That might be a good thing.....chip off the rest of the chrome, remove corrosion and get black spray paint.

This assumes that there is no chrome on the inside surface.

Will look a lot nicer.

vqdriver
02-06-2013, 02:42 PM
i kinda agree with that.

if it's strictly a cosmetic issue, i'd just refinish it and move on. faceplates are easy.

Peter P.
02-06-2013, 05:03 PM
I think the OP is being unreasonable. Most manufacturers aren't in the business of stocking small parts for many components several years after manufacture. I wouldn't imagine most shops would be willing to part out a stem faceplate either.

Tony T
02-06-2013, 05:16 PM
Interesting that their web site has a faceplate in the picture of the Replacement Parts (http://bontrager.com/products/accessories/replacement_parts) section, but it's an item not listed as available.

http://media.bontrager.com/images/category/470x310/replacement_parts.jpg

jmoore
02-07-2013, 07:48 AM
chip off the rest of the chrome, remove corrosion and get black spray paint.

this