PDA

View Full Version : Greg Lemond is asking for input on his bike line !

efuentes
02-06-2013, 12:33 PM
Looks like I could get a New Poprad afer all :banana:

http://greglemond.com/lemond-cycle/

William
02-06-2013, 12:34 PM
A little Q&A on the subject. Nice!:cool:

William

thirdgenbird
02-06-2013, 12:37 PM
I think this has been up for at least two years. I filled it out ages ago.

slidey
02-06-2013, 12:41 PM
Well, hooray! I've got my feedback in :hello:

MattTuck
02-06-2013, 12:41 PM
I think that Trek made some good bikes under the Lemond brand. Hell, I own one.

I'm just not sure what Greg would bring to a revival. Frames are already so light and stiff, and lots more attention is paid to fit than even 5 years ago, even for entry level bikes.

I'm not sure his 'philosophy' will sell bikes to the mass market. He'd be better off licensing his name to a company like Serotta and have it be an Endorsement on top of the Serotta brand standing for the best in American Bike Racing.

That's my opinion.

slidey
02-06-2013, 12:42 PM
hahaha...really?!!?

So the lineup isn't coming back anytime soon then :cool:

I think this has been up for at least two years. I filled it out ages ago.

Dave B
02-06-2013, 12:44 PM
What about model names.

PED Free

O.A.T.W. (Only American Tour Winner)

epNO

Suck It Lance

good start. ;)

rwsaunders
02-06-2013, 12:50 PM
Good, bad or indifferent, I'm not sure that his name carries a lot of brand appeal or recognition beyond a small circle of potential buyers. That's for the marketeers to judge I guess.

Lewis Moon
02-06-2013, 12:50 PM
What about model names.

Suck It Lance

good start. ;)

I need to get that made into a top tube decal for my Poprad.

thirdgenbird
02-06-2013, 12:52 PM
hahaha...really?!!?

So the lineup isn't coming back anytime soon then :cool:

I really think it was 12-24 months ago when I saw it. I wouldn't hold my breath for a return.

MattTuck
02-06-2013, 12:54 PM
Good, bad or indifferent, I'm not sure that his name carries a lot of brand appeal or recognition beyond a small circle of potential buyers. That's for the marketeers to judge I guess.

Judging by the oreo cookie and godaddy ads at the superbowl, I'm guessing that you are just as qualified to comment on this topic as some so called professionals who get paid in that field.

timto
02-06-2013, 12:58 PM
I submitted a suggestion to have Calfee build a lemond brand specific bike - but with integrated HT, different tubeset, BB30 and same construction methods (webbed).

Then you get continuity with history (old lemond calfees were dream bikes of mine), fabulous ride quality, modern updates with tried and true construction and differentiation from the calfee line via tubing, and integrated HT which I think modern race bike buyers like.

Just for fun you know...

ultraman6970
02-06-2013, 01:19 PM
That thing has been running at least for 2 years now.

1/2 Wheeler
02-06-2013, 01:27 PM
As an interesting (to me anyway) point of reference I just walked through my office and asked a simple question:

Do you know who Greg Lemond is? Yes or No only?

I asked 20 people, 32 - 52 years old, no cyclist.

17 No's

3 Yes's. However one the yes's was followed by "he is that olympic diver"

ATMO, not a ton of value in the name.

torquer
02-06-2013, 01:49 PM
Most recent news (aside from his car wreck) is that Greg is pushing his Revolution indoor trainers.
http://www.bikerumor.com/2013/02/06/lemond-back-in-the-game-trainer-game-that-is/#more-54561
Interesting that he sold off the stationary bikes part of the business, and kept the trainers.

mistermo
02-06-2013, 02:43 PM
As an interesting (to me anyway) point of reference I just walked through my office and asked a simple question:

17 No's

The "market" is also the capital market. He can attract capital investors that you, I and other non-TdF winners can't. With his bike line, I'd imagine he'd compete in the same outlets as the other 'mass' retailers: Giant, Specialized, Trek, but likely on a much smaller scale like Fuji, Raleigh, etc. In this space, I agree that his name won't necessarily carry the sale. His bikes would have to be competitive just like the other brands that also lack a recognizable TdF champion endorsing them. But he could likely attract investors and capital, which is shouldn't be overlooked. Said differently, the Lemond name can bring money to the table.

dd74
02-06-2013, 02:48 PM
That thing has been running at least for 2 years now.
Well, I filled it out anyway. It'll be great if it comes back as he's now the only legit TDF winner from the U.S.

oldpotatoe
02-06-2013, 05:36 PM
I submitted a suggestion to have Calfee build a lemond brand specific bike - but with integrated HT, different tubeset, BB30 and same construction methods (webbed).

Then you get continuity with history (old lemond calfees were dream bikes of mine), fabulous ride quality, modern updates with tried and true construction and differentiation from the calfee line via tubing, and integrated HT which I think modern race bike buyers like.

Just for fun you know...

'Fun' is right.

HT and BB30 are steps backwards, IMHO, particularly BB(creaky)30

PQJ
02-06-2013, 05:38 PM
Joint venture with serotta. Seriously.

oldpotatoe
02-06-2013, 05:38 PM

17 No's

Now ask them who Ben Serotta is, then Eddy Merckx.

Methinks you will get the same response. Cycling is a really small part of the leisure time activity segment, smaller than tennis and golf.

Ask them who Tiger Woods is or Rafael Nadal.

Now ask, who's Lance Armstrong? He ought to be making a frame.

54ny77
02-06-2013, 05:46 PM
I posted this already, but here's one that I'd have a laugh at seeing:

"F&^! You Lance"

What about model names.

PED Free

O.A.T.W. (Only American Tour Winner)

epNO

Suck It Lance

good start. ;)

David Kirk
02-06-2013, 05:52 PM
I know LeMond isn't staying up late waiting for my endorsement but I think it's a good idea. I like it.

it will remain to be seen if he can get them made and sold at a profit but that's a different deal.

Dave

dd74
02-06-2013, 05:55 PM
I suggested steel, stainless at that, and full custom.

bobswire
02-06-2013, 06:18 PM
I suggested steel, stainless at that, and full custom.

I suggested steel too,it could be a mid priced frame. I have owned a few Lemond steel frames and all of them were well made, good riders.

This was a Ten Speed Drive import that was painted here. Lemond Team Z replica.
http://i55.tinypic.com/33wo4fk.jpg

Dave B
02-06-2013, 06:50 PM
I posted this already, but here's one that I'd have a laugh at seeing:

"F&^! You Lance"

How about a slogan like, "It takes a pair to ride my bikes!"

Elefantino
02-06-2013, 07:29 PM
More money to be made with the Revolution trainer. That's what he's concentrating on right now, with his newly-formed company in Minneapolis.

pbarry
02-06-2013, 08:27 PM

That rocks it! :banana:

torquer
02-07-2013, 09:09 AM
Now ask, who's Lance Armstrong? He ought to be making a frame.
Following in at least one set of (semi) famous footsteps:

"Founded by the great Professional -1912-1936- champion Costante Girardengo
(1893-1978) and his two sons Luciano and Ettore in Alessandria, Novi Ligure, Italy.
The assembly of Girardengo bicycles was moved to the prison of Alessandria,
Novi Ligure in the mid-1960s."
http://www.classicrendezvous.com/Italy/Girardengo.htm
There's also some internet chatter about Pogliaghis and Atalas coming out of the Casa Grande as well.

Charles M
02-07-2013, 11:04 AM
There's name recognition and there's brand benefit.

Hitler has name recognition too...

I'm not implying Greg is bad / Hitler, just saying that being known and having an image that will sell x product are different things.

I think Greg can sell bikes. I'd call one the resurrection... But I think his brand appeal has suffered some over the past few years. I think it will come back around, but I don't think the timing is good.

I think there's too much negative association even in the case that he's not on the wrong side of it... I would wait for cycling to come around and get out from under the black cloud.

Waldo
02-07-2013, 12:44 PM

Boobs or balls?

mcteague
02-07-2013, 12:56 PM
Boobs or balls?

Legs!

Tim