PDA

View Full Version : Kirk Frameworks.

David Kirk
02-06-2013, 11:48 AM
Hey -

My name is David Kirk and my one man company is Kirk Frameworks Co. I build steel skinny tired bikes with either lugged or fillet brazed construction from my home shop in Bozeman Montana.

I just looked and was a bit shocked and surprised to see that I started posting here in 2003 and over 4400 post later I'm still posting. One thing I've tried hard to do was to never talk about or promote my own work here - it's never seemed to be the right thing to do. And even though things have changed in the way this place is run, and that it might be more acceptable than it once was to do so, I'm still not comfortable promoting my own work here. Don't get me wrong - I'm proud of what I do and will talk 'till blue in the face to those that are truly interested I don't want be looked at as the guy trying to sell you something. I'm just not that guy.

Instead I've always tried to be a 'normal' member here who happens to be in the framebuilding biz............and I'd like to keep it that way. I suppose the only thing that has changed is that the Paceline could use some financial support and I'd like to show my appreciation for the place by throwing a few bucks in the tip jar.

I hope the fact that a number of us bidness folks have put some small amount of money in the jar that this will allow the Paceline to thrive and be here for a very long time. In the ten years I've been posting here I've found it to be the most friendly, open, and welcoming bike forum on the interwebs (it's a series of tubes you know).

So - long live the Paceline and thanks to all those that make it happen and to those other members out there that keep it rolling as it has done for so very long now.

Dave

www.kirkframeworks.com
info@kirkframeworks.com
406 586 3555

Joachim
02-06-2013, 11:52 AM
Anyone wanting an awesome steel bike should give Dave a call.

ps Am I moving up on the list? :)

jr59
02-06-2013, 12:00 PM
Darn Dave, I sort of wish you would post more.

First off I love your work.
Second thing is you are so giving of your knowledge
and we all learn a LOT from your posts. At least some times.
BTW; I already knew that it gets cold where you live!

WAIT!!!! stop...... your wait is to long. Quit posting here and shorten the list! :banana::banana::banana:

Thanks for being a part of this world!

jtakeda
02-06-2013, 12:07 PM
Step 1: pay off loans
Step 2: custom kirk

Ahneida Ride
02-06-2013, 06:23 PM
In stereo equipment, they always talk about "reference" speakers ...

In frame building, I humbly submit that Mr. Kirk is that reference. :banana:

If ya attend NAHBS ..... Kirk frameworks is a absolute must stop.

Cat3roadracer
02-06-2013, 07:27 PM
On my short list. No need to promote a product like this.

dave thompson
02-06-2013, 07:36 PM
David, you're one of us :cool: and always welcome here!

AngryScientist
02-06-2013, 08:12 PM
David Kirk is truly an ambassador of his trade.

through the years i have watched his work, and how he conducts his business, and more importantly, himself; and there is no better.

Thanks to Dave for helping keep this place as great as it is.

:hello:

SPOKE
02-06-2013, 08:16 PM

through the years i have watched his work, and how he conducts his business, and more importantly, himself; and there is no better.

+a bunch!!!!
I have 2 of his wonderful bikes and a 3rd one on order.

David Kirk
02-07-2013, 12:55 PM
Thanks for all the kind words gentlemen.

Now everyone get back to work!

thanks again,

dave

Keith A
02-07-2013, 07:50 PM

:hello:All I can say is Amen!

David Kirk
02-07-2013, 09:12 PM
If ya attend NAHBS ..... Kirk frameworks is a absolute must stop.

Hey Ray -

It would be very nice if people stopped by to see me at NAHBS but if they do they will be disappointed. I've decided to stay home this year and keep working on all the orders I have in an effort to keep the queue as short as I can instead of taking time away from the bench in an effort to make the queue longer. It felt like I should stay home and work hard for the folks that had already shown a commitment toward me and my work instead of trying to get more folks to commit.

I will miss the fun and excitement of the show however and of course miss seeing everyone there.

I have other ways to spend together in mind and will be sharing those shortly - so stay tuned.

Thanks again Ray.

Dave

bluesea
02-08-2013, 11:23 AM
Hey Ray -

It would be very nice if people stopped by to see me at NAHBS but if they do they will be disappointed. I've decided to stay home this year and keep working on all the orders I have in an effort to keep the queue as short as I can instead of taking time away from the bench in an effort to make the queue longer. It felt like I should stay home and work hard for the folks that had already shown a commitment toward me and my work instead of trying to get more folks to commit.

I will miss the fun and excitement of the show however and of course miss seeing everyone there.

I have other ways to spend together in mind and will be sharing those shortly - so stay tuned.

Thanks again Ray.

Dave

Pure class.

David Kirk
04-10-2013, 01:26 PM
This year, 2013, marks the tenth anniversary of the Kirk Frameworks Co. To celebrate this milestone I will be offering a limited edition of 10th Anniversary specials. The production of these special 10th Anniversary Specials will be limited to ten bikes in total and once these ten are sold no more orders will be taken for this model.

The 10th Anniversary Specials will be unique versions of the JK Special lugged road race bike and will be equipped with the curved Terraplane seat stays. These framesets will be made to measure and will be built with many features unique to the project. The exact specifications are still being finalized - below is a list of the frameset’s features –

• 10th Anniversary paint scheme by Joe Bell
• 10th Anniversary Kirk graphics
• 10th Anniversary special lug shaping
• 10th Anniversary head badge
• 10th Anniversary front and rear dropouts
• 10th Anniversary brake bridge
• 10th Anniversary brass cable adjusters
• Includes painted to match stem
• Each frameset will be signed and numbered

At this point the final price is not 100% firm but I expect it to be about $5000 for the frame and fork set. None of the features that make this 10th Anniversary bike unique will ever be repeated. Di2/EPS internal wire routing is a no cost option. Special pricing will be available on my favored build kits based on top of the line Campagnolo, Shimano and Sram components.

I’m expecting to deliver these late in 2013 or early 2014 so they will no doubt be ready for the 2014 riding season.

I will be taking ten deposits only and making a list of names of those interested should someone in the queue need to give up their spot. Please contact me with any questions you might have and I’ll do my best to right back to you.

Thanks so much for all the support over the past ten years and here’s to the next ten!

Dave
406 586 3555
info@kirkframeworks.com

ergott
04-10-2013, 01:31 PM
Man, if I weren't already committed to other projects:mad:

So nice.

reggiebaseball
04-10-2013, 03:57 PM
I just put down a deposit a few days ago for...
a Kirk.
I figured, what is the sound of one bike clapping.

now, I have deposit(s) down for two Kirks...

bluesea
04-10-2013, 05:52 PM
^ You've made the right choice. Twice!

Keith A
04-10-2013, 06:11 PM
Too bad the tax man taketh instead of giveth this year, I certainly know where that money could have gone :eek:

David Kirk
04-11-2013, 07:18 PM
Just a quick note of thanks to everyone for their interest. As of this time the 10 spots are spoken for and no more will be made available.

If you were interested in one of the bikes but feel you missed out please contact me and I'll keep your name handy should someone not be able to follow through with their order.

Thanks again. time for me to spend some deep time at the bench.

dave

David Kirk
04-30-2014, 03:39 PM
Available now - http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=1540541&postcount=217

http://www.kirkframeworks.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/DSC_4628.jpg

dave

David Kirk
05-02-2014, 08:17 PM
Thanks for all the interest - the frameset has sold.

dave

Lewis Moon
06-30-2014, 03:24 PM
Dave,
Thanks for the quick turn around on the DT adjusters. You rock.

dave thompson
06-30-2014, 03:28 PM
You otta see him roll! :rolleyes:

crownjewelwl
07-23-2014, 05:18 PM
hey dave,
nice article in dirt rag!!

although your choice of jerseys may be a bit controversial!

David Kirk
07-23-2014, 06:54 PM
hey dave,
nice article in dirt rag!!

although your choice of jerseys may be a bit controversial!

I assume you mean Mountain Flyer? That was really fun to do.

I wondered how long it would take for someone to remark on the jersey. Any way you cut it they make nice clothes and one of the guys that works there wanted to trade clothing for hard goods so I ended up with that very nice piece of clothing.

Thanks for the comment.

dave

crownjewelwl
07-24-2014, 05:19 AM
I assume you mean Mountain Flyer? That was really fun to do.

I wondered how long it would take for someone to remark on the jersey. Any way you cut it they make nice clothes and one of the guys that works there wanted to trade clothing for hard goods so I ended up with that very nice piece of clothing.

Thanks for the comment.

dave

Yes...meant mountain flyer...anyway good article

You should try crocs in the shop

David Kirk
10-08-2014, 03:53 PM
On very rare occasions I come across a used Kirk that needs a home and I do my best to help the owner find one…………in this case a gentleman was cleaning out his father’s home and came across this frameset. He googled the name and got in touch with me and I offered to buy it from him.

This fillet-brazed frameset was built September, 2003 for a rider in Massachusetts and is constructed with Reynolds 725 tubing. The original owner of this frameset went on to buy two more Kirks and still rides one. The tube diameters are what many would call ‘standard sized’ meaning that the top tube is 1” and the seat and down tubes are 1 1/8”. The fork has a 1” threadless steerer and is built with a Cinelli fork crown. The frame dimensions are below – the saddle height and stem length are for reference only so that perspective owners can have an idea of how it might fit. The ideal weight for performance purposes would be in the 130 – 170 lbs range.

The frame has a standard 68 mm English threaded bottom bracket and uses a 130 mm rear hub, a 27.2 seat post, a 1 1/8” clamp-on front derailleur and a 1” threadless headset (included). The largest size tire that will fit is 25 mm.

Upon return to me I checked for any damage or dents and of course checked the alignment of both the frame and fork. Both the frame and fork checked out as they should and show no sign of ever being crashed or abused. There are no dents whatsoever. There are a number of paint chips but no corrosion either inside or out. I do not have access to touch up paint of this color as the painter (Cycle Fantasy) retired a few years after the frame was painted. The frameset presents well and the Celadon green paint has a lovely shine to it.

I’m offering this little bit of history as a frame/fork and King headset combination for $875 as it sits with a fresh treatment of anticorrosion treatment on the inside of all the tubes, new brass adjusters and all fresh bolts. One could also purchase it and have me send it to Joe Bell for a repaint with the paint cost added to the frameset price. I do have a limited supply of the original decals so the frame could be put back in its correct period look or if the new owner wanted the current artwork that is also an option.

Please let me know if you have any questions or would like to purchase this frameset and I’ll do my best to get right back to you.

Thanks for looking.

Dave

http://www.kirkframeworks.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/DSC_6570.jpg

http://www.kirkframeworks.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/DSC_6573.jpg

http://www.kirkframeworks.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/DSC_6575.jpg

http://www.kirkframeworks.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/DSC_6581.jpg

http://www.kirkframeworks.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/DSC_6583.jpg

http://www.kirkframeworks.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/DSC_6589.jpg

http://www.kirkframeworks.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/Screen-shot-2014-10-08-at-2.20.21-PM.png

David Kirk
10-10-2014, 12:00 PM
The frame is sold pending payment. Thanks for all the interest.

dave

David Kirk
04-16-2015, 08:22 PM
I think I may have listed a new frame for sale in the wrong spot. Here's a link to it - http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=1742304&postcount=364

dave