PDA

View Full Version : sram torpedo hub

AngryScientist
02-06-2013, 09:51 AM
anyone have one of these?

seems like a decent idea for mixed terrain fixes/SS riding...

http://www.sram.com/sram/urban/products/torpedo-single-speed-hub

MerckxMad
02-06-2013, 10:06 AM
I have one of these on my Kona Paddy Wagon. I bought it because I have fenders mounted on the bike, which sees limited use in the fall and winter. The hub makes it much easier to switch between ss and fixed without flipping the wheel and messing with the rear fender.

It is real easy to change between modes, but you'll need a small flat head screwdriver as the access port on the acorn nut is small. I decide which mode to use before I ride depending on terrain and my mood. I never change mode mid-ride. In fixed mode, there is a bit of play when first applying pressure to the pedals and engaging the hub, but it doesn't bother me.

The external dust cap/seal is not that tight, and it does require removal and cleaning every so often. Cog selection is limited to the SA spline variety, but it wasn't a problem for me to switch out the OEM cog.

The hub is not cheap and you need to decide whether the convenience is worth the added cost.

dougf
02-06-2013, 01:48 PM
My shop stocked a bianchi that came stock with these, and they sold fairly well to commuters. They general consensus was that they were good in SS mode, but the play in fixed mode was irritating. Considering the cost, I personally would just go with a decent track hub with threads on both sides.