PDA

View Full Version : Switch to Single Speed?

darylb
02-05-2013, 02:51 PM
Background first - I was into road riding for 8 or 10 years. I started with an entry level roadie and eventually bought a much nicer Serotta ride. I rode primarily with a good, fast group and eventually just got burned out when every ride turned into a hammer fest.

So I sold off my super cool bike and got a cyclocross bike. Absolutely loved it. It was a Gunnar Crosshairs. Super comfortable and super versitile. Then things got busy and money got tight and I wasnt riding it so I sold that off to keep afloat. I hated letting go of it. Partly I guess because I liked the Gunnar but more because I liked the cyclocross setup. Kind of a do everything bike.

So now I am ready to get another bike and started by looking at cyclocross again. Then started thinking I'm not going out to hammer and I live in flat Florida so why not simplify things and get a single speed. I was thinking something similar to a cross bike in single speed, maybe with a flip flop so I could have a road cruising gear and a gear for when the trails get sandy or more technical.

The problem is, it sounds great but I dont know a lot about the single speed world. I dont want to do it and then hate it. But I also cant afford much bike so anything geared isnt really going to have the best of components on it. I really need to be in the $500 range give or take which likely means used, and that is ok. I was just hoping to get some feedback on making the switch. I'm no longer interested in the hardcore roadie/group ride thing but would love to get out for an hour or two first thing in the morning. Or maybe just jump on the bike to go to the fresh market instead of using the car. If all goes well, I'd love to do centuries again too.

An input would help. I just dont have a reference point.

EricEstlund
02-05-2013, 02:55 PM
Stop shifting for a month and see if you dig it.

darylb
02-05-2013, 02:58 PM
Stop shifting for a month and see if you dig it.

That would be a perfect idea but I dont own a bike at all at the moment. :mad:

tuscanyswe
02-05-2013, 03:07 PM
Its impossible to say if YOU will like it or not. I tried it and i missed my gears. I have friends who tried it and still love it.

You need to try to find out which makes me think you should get a frame made for gears but equipped as singlespeed. Is probably cheaper anyways since ss crosses are kinda fashionable (or something) right now.

Then if you dont like it you can possibly come up with some more cash to put a used groupset on.

boxerboxer
02-05-2013, 03:18 PM
You can probably find one to test ride at a bike shop, or take out a geared bike and set it to a gear combination you think could work for you and just leave it there for the whole test ride.

You could pick up a Kilo TT from bikesdirect.com plus a freewheel for under $500 and ride the crap out of it.

SS has it's limitations, but if it's pretty flat where you live and you just want to be back on a bike, I say go for it.

My first 2 years of riding more than the occasional once every couple of months was on a SS converted steel road bike and I loved every minute of it. It's a SS 'cross bike now and I have a CAAD10, but I still love the SS.

jpw
02-05-2013, 03:22 PM
don't do it.

bad for the knees, or you run out of gearing too soon

goonster
02-05-2013, 03:22 PM
I dont want to do it and then hate it.
Do it. Commit.

From my anecdotal experience, people who don't like it are in the minority.

EricEstlund
02-05-2013, 03:23 PM
Sorry- I missed that you didn't have a bike at the moment.

With relatively inexpensive single speeds widely available, go see if you can test ride some at the shops and get a feel. If the test rides have you excited that is a good jumping point. If you find yourself looking to shift, then you may have your answer.

bironi
02-05-2013, 03:26 PM
Consider a fixed gear especially in your flat land environment. I don't get the SS, but have become addicted to the fixed.

darylb
02-05-2013, 03:31 PM
I'm pretty certain I dont want fixed. I'm old and fat enough to need the ability to coast on occasion. Not sure how my knees would handle it either.

I guess my initial reason for considering was simplicity. Just get on the bike and ride. But my other thought process was that maybe it would be a cheaper way to go since many components are missing. That appears to apply only if I were going to build up another bike.

Still interested in comments though. I probably have a few months before I get something and I like to get plenty of obsession in before I buy stuff. :cool:

AngryScientist
02-05-2013, 03:34 PM
you live in floriduh. one gear is all you need.

AngryScientist
02-05-2013, 03:35 PM
but seriously.

what you want to do is buy a cx geared frame.

then buy an eno rear wheel for it and run it single speed. if you decide you hate it, the frame will have all the provisions to add gears when you're ready.

problem solved.

bironi
02-05-2013, 03:37 PM
I'm pretty certain I dont want fixed. I'm old and fat enough to need the ability to coast on occasion. Not sure how my knees would handle it either.

I guess my initial reason for considering was simplicity. Just get on the bike and ride. But my other thought process was that maybe it would be a cheaper way to go since many components are missing. That appears to apply only if I were going to build up another bike.

Still interested in comments though. I probably have a few months before I get something and I like to get plenty of obsession in before I buy stuff. :cool:

I'd bet I'm older than you and also carrying some chub. Fat only matters going up and down hills. You can doodle along on the flats on a fixed just as easily as a SS. It's just more fun. Borrow one from a friend. Try it - you'll like it.

19wisconsin64
02-05-2013, 04:03 PM
maybe post a classified here as a WTB for a single speed/fixie in your size.

the vast majority of riding i do is on a fixed gear bicycles. Usually a steel frame, a gear ratio that i feel i can get a good workout in for 45 minutes to about 2 hours, and very close attention paid to the seat height, stem length, and other fitting issues. Fixed/single speed riding on the road is (just my opinion) can be good or bad depending on how well your bike fits you, more so than on a road bike.

hey, i'd be willing to throw some parts your way if you need help on a build up. i can send you bars, seat post, stem, saddle, a fixed gear cog to get you started. i'd bet you could get an amazing bike sourced just from like-minded forum members who are more than willing to help out a cyclist who needs a bike.

pm me if you need something.... i like the idea.....

more 2 cents.... it takes a few weeks to get used to riding a fixie around, even one with brakes. i like the "zen" feeling you get.

good luck!!

vav
02-05-2013, 04:28 PM
Do it. As AS suggested, get a frame you can put gears on if you dislike it. But you've got to try it!! It's great. The simplicity and you get stronger as well.
I just got this frameset very cheap on my local CL and built a SS just for kicks with stuff I had around. I even used geared hubs with a conversion kit. Again, very little to lose and a lot to gain.

jr59
02-05-2013, 04:34 PM
but seriously.

then buy an eno rear wheel for it and run it single speed. if you decide you hate it, the frame will have all the provisions to add gears when you're ready.

problem solved.

IMO good plan here

christian
02-05-2013, 04:37 PM
I like singlespeed, but I would not want one as my only bike.

I think Angry's plan makes good sense.

tuscanyswe
02-05-2013, 04:41 PM
Do my posts even show up .)?

Get a singular (chain tensioner) instead of an eno as they are alot cheaper and you will have a wheelset ready for gears should you go that way in the future.

darylb
02-05-2013, 04:44 PM
I havent been around this forum for a couple of years but nothing has change. It is still full of passionate, generous people always willing to help.

I think I am starting to develop a plan. :D

It looks like if I put some research in, I can build an SS bike cheap enough that I wont have to choose. I could eventually get a geared bike as well. :banana:

Man, this forum has gotten me in some trouble in the past. Like I said, nothing changed. :help:

Seriously, thanks for the help.

saab2000
02-05-2013, 04:56 PM
I have a single speed Redline. As mentioned, I could build it up with gears and in fact that is my plan. I will likely then sell the wheel with the Eno hub. But that's further down the road.

I also own a Hampsten single speed bike that is in the middle of the build. I have sort of run out of funds to complete the project but that'll come in due time.

As to the viability of the concept, yes, it is solid. I have found that on relatively flat land I really don't miss the gears. The case can be made that you want an upwind and a downwind gear but basically I don't miss it. And you for sure won't miss the mechanical complexity or weight.

A single speed bike is inherently lighter and more efficient and this is noticeable. There is noticeably less drivetrain drag when pedaling. My SS bike is not light because I use heavy stuff on it like Ruffy Tuffy tires and fenders and a dynamo light and all other sorts of stuff. But a relatively pure road bike built up as a dedicated single speed bike is a cool thing, especially in a fairly flat place.

It is my plan to get a set of Chris King single speed hubs for the bike when funds permit.

I'm really looking forward to getting mine completed and ready for the road. I wouldn't want it as my only bike but I'm more than happy with the one I've got and rarely find it to be limiting, except with hills. If you live in Florida it's a non factor.

dustyrider
02-05-2013, 05:50 PM
Grab one of these (http://surlybikes.com/parts/singleator), add the bike of your choice, ride till you're :)!

T.J.
02-05-2013, 06:13 PM
I think angry's idea is the best. With that being said, depending o. What size you need I have a steel bike with a flip flop hub, bull horn bars and brake levers. All you would need is brakes, a headset . It's roughly a 56 ( goin from memory)

plugkev
02-05-2013, 06:22 PM
but seriously.

problem solved.

+1

Especially if you want to ride long again someday. You could put gears and 23s on the frame. However, this is going to be more expensive than a true SS.

crankles
02-05-2013, 06:50 PM
I like angryscientists idea best. These aren't bad. seen em up close. kinda heavy, but a few guys have raced the snot out of them and they've held up well.

The SS version is a pretty good deal, but still more than you are looking to pay.

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/frame/2012-civilian-bicycle-co--le-roi-le-veut--10923.html

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CCY?PAGE=PRODUCT&OPTION=LOAD_PRODUCT_BY_ID&PRODUCT.ID=10924&MODE=

02-05-2013, 08:18 PM
OK. Opposing opinion. Riding a fixie or single speed, you don't really have to care about weight and there aren't enough components to begin with to think about build level. But if you go to a full geared road bike, either pure road or cross or whatever, you do start thinking about such things. And because this is the forum that it is, you will be unhappy until you're on a bike that's light enough and at a build level you like. Just saying that you won't really buy a cheap bike for under $500 and then build it into a geared setup and still be happy with it. Do you want to ride an old Schwinn Varsity? No.

Basic fixed gear or single speed bikes, whether for single speed cyclocross or for road fixies, can be very cheap yet completely serviceable. Dozens of brands -- just check eBay. And frankly, for a frame and equipment you can build up to keep under $500, Craigslist gives you the best chance with eBay not far behind. And you'll sell it for what you paid when you put it on Craigslist later. You can get a pair of decent hubs (e.g., Formula hubs, DT spokes, Velocity rims) in good used condition for under $150, or if you negotiate hard, for about $100. You can get a complete drive train in high end components with heel rub and other marks for under $175, or get a lower-end version like Sugino RD in superb/new condition for under $150. Cogs, chains, etc. are ten dollars each, max. An inexpensive brake lever and brake, $20. Bars and stem, $30 total. Handlebar tape covers all ugliness and on the road you really don't necessarily want track bars anyway. There are a million bars and stems out there looking for homes. Same for seat posts and saddles. eBay is replete with surprisingly good fixed gear or single speed frames for under $250 new. Buy used and you're under your cost target. The reason for getting a fixed frame is that you have a huge range of inexpensive but durable wheels in 120 mm rear spacing. And they can take either a fixed cog or a single freewheel, at your discretion. Once you go to 130 mm, you have to spend more money to adapt the hub for single-speed use, your hubs tend to cost more, wheel deals aren't as good, and you're in a range of equipment that gives lower quality for higher prices.

As for single speed versus fixed, just get a single speed freewheel for starters. Spend $10 for a fixed cog -- most hubs have threads on both sides so you can mount both and simply flip the wheel to go from one to the other -- and make your own decision. You should be spending more time deciding on the things you used to worry about, like whether that cheap saddle will kill your butt. It doesn't really matter which one you use -- it's purely your own preference and nobody here should tell you otherwise. Your biggest decision (after your saddle of course) should be whether you want to mount a water bottle or not.

The point is, keep it simple. Twisting yourself up with a road bike that requires road hubs that require in turn various conversion hardware is just complicating the story. You wanted simple. Keep it simple.

My $0.03182 cents.

darylb
02-05-2013, 08:53 PM
Great post. That's the kind of information I was hoping for. I had no idea about the difference in spacing or even what to look for. The idea of building a cheap SS is sounding more fun all the time. And you are right. I dont want middle of the road. I want ugly beater with character or I want nice.

charliedid
02-05-2013, 08:58 PM
OK. Opposing opinion. Riding a fixie or single speed, you don't really have to care about weight and there aren't enough components to begin with to think about build level. But if you go to a full geared road bike, either pure road or cross or whatever, you do start thinking about such things. And because this is the forum that it is, you will be unhappy until you're on a bike that's light enough and at a build level you like. Just saying that you won't really buy a cheap bike for under $500 and then build it into a geared setup and still be happy with it. Do you want to ride an old Schwinn Varsity? No.

Basic fixed gear or single speed bikes, whether for single speed cyclocross or for road fixies, can be very cheap yet completely serviceable. Dozens of brands -- just check eBay. And frankly, for a frame and equipment you can build up to keep under $500, Craigslist gives you the best chance with eBay not far behind. And you'll sell it for what you paid when you put it on Craigslist later. You can get a pair of decent hubs (e.g., Formula hubs, DT spokes, Velocity rims) in good used condition for under $150, or if you negotiate hard, for about $100. You can get a complete drive train in high end components with heel rub and other marks for under $175, or get a lower-end version like Sugino RD in superb/new condition for under $150. Cogs, chains, etc. are ten dollars each, max. An inexpensive brake lever and brake, $20. Bars and stem, $30 total. Handlebar tape covers all ugliness and on the road you really don't necessarily want track bars anyway. There are a million bars and stems out there looking for homes. Same for seat posts and saddles. eBay is replete with surprisingly good fixed gear or single speed frames for under $250 new. Buy used and you're under your cost target. The reason for getting a fixed frame is that you have a huge range of inexpensive but durable wheels in 120 mm rear spacing. And they can take either a fixed cog or a single freewheel, at your discretion. Once you go to 130 mm, you have to spend more money to adapt the hub for single-speed use, your hubs tend to cost more, wheel deals aren't as good, and you're in a range of equipment that gives lower quality for higher prices.

As for single speed versus fixed, just get a single speed freewheel for starters. Spend $10 for a fixed cog -- most hubs have threads on both sides so you can mount both and simply flip the wheel to go from one to the other -- and make your own decision. You should be spending more time deciding on the things you used to worry about, like whether that cheap saddle will kill your butt. It doesn't really matter which one you use -- it's purely your own preference and nobody here should tell you otherwise. Your biggest decision (after your saddle of course) should be whether you want to mount a water bottle or not.

The point is, keep it simple. Twisting yourself up with a road bike that requires road hubs that require in turn various conversion hardware is just complicating the story. You wanted simple. Keep it simple.

My $0.03182 cents.

This

spaced_ghost
02-05-2013, 09:13 PM
single speed will work for most everything where it's flat. I totally agree with above post. angryscientist's idea isn't bad either, although from a different tack.

but, not to complicate things, I rode fixed/single speed for 8 years exclusively when i first got into bikes. I'm 35, and now i'm paying for it with knee pain. I've also just decided that I really love having gears.

I have ridden some SS lately, and it's really fun. there were a few moments where i missed the gears, but mostly i didn't think about it and just hauled ass and had fun. but i still prefer gears.

saab2000
02-05-2013, 09:34 PM
This is my half-built Hampsten. Just threw it together a bit. It obviously looks disproportional because of the lack of tires but y'all get the picture...

Really looking forward to it. I bought it off a fellow forum member here and it is in exquisite condition. Built to handle fat tires and fenders with long-reach brakes. The Honjo hammered fenders are beautiful and really, really light.

This will be my third single speed. As mentioned, they're only really viable in fairly flat areas. But tons of fun for just basic riding, especially solo.

spaced_ghost
02-05-2013, 09:36 PM
nice ride

darylb
02-05-2013, 09:44 PM
Gorgeous bike.

Steve in SLO
02-05-2013, 11:42 PM
Both AS idea of geared-->ss CX bike and 11.4s idea of KISS are good ones.

I used to train on fixed bikes for ~ 2 months early each season and found a fixed bike to be a great way to get in shape and smooth out my pedal stroke.
After a number of years I built another fixed bike and again found beauty in its simplicity and efficiency in putting me in shape...but it takes discipline and attention.
Recently I flipped the hub and am running it as a ss now. I have never coasted as much as I do while running that ss...but it is simply enjoyable

So, since you live in FL, I would suggest if you want a serious training machine to work on skills, go fixed. If you're geared right, you won't garf up your knees.
If you want a bike to ride in a carefree manner, go ss.

02-05-2013, 11:49 PM
In my experience in many years of track cycling and fixed gear riding, I've rarely if ever seen a rider, competitive or otherwise, who gets joint problems because he/she is riding a fixed gear. Usually it's because riding a fixed gear brings out problems with position, equipment, etc. that needed to be addressed anyway. I've had major accident injuries to both knees and yet I can ride fixies and track without any joint problems; I had more problems on the road.

I've also seen riders using a fixie on steep hills, both up and down. We'd laugh at a geared rider who misgeared so badly on hills, but we think it's a mark of integrity when a fixie rider does the same? I don't recommend fixies on hilly terrain, any more than I'd tell you not to change gears on hills. Really?

Not saying that one particular rider can have problems that limit their riding, but I'd never blame it on the fixed gear.

bingomck
02-06-2013, 12:58 AM
Saab, how you planning to handle rear flats with the track dropouts and fenders? Absolutely gorgeous bike. I used to have a Quickbeam in similar color scheme... But I didn't love the cantis, would've preferred long reach.

OP, go for a dedicated single. I have a $500 or so Iro I ride a ton and love; a friend just getting into biking bought a $100 SS Magma from Target and he has been crushing on it.

slidey
02-06-2013, 01:13 AM
Nice 0 speed :p

This is my half-built Hampsten. Just threw it together a bit. It obviously looks disproportional because of the lack of tires but y'all get the picture...

Really looking forward to it. I bought it off a fellow forum member here and it is in exquisite condition. Built to handle fat tires and fenders with long-reach brakes. The Honjo hammered fenders are beautiful and really, really light.

This will be my third single speed. As mentioned, they're only really viable in fairly flat areas. But tons of fun for just basic riding, especially solo.

bironi
02-06-2013, 01:27 AM
In my experience in many years of track cycling and fixed gear riding, I've rarely if ever seen a rider, competitive or otherwise, who gets joint problems because he/she is riding a fixed gear. Usually it's because riding a fixed gear brings out problems with position, equipment, etc. that needed to be addressed anyway. I've had major accident injuries to both knees and yet I can ride fixies and track without any joint problems; I had more problems on the road.

I've also seen riders using a fixie on steep hills, both up and down. We'd laugh at a geared rider who misgeared so badly on hills, but we think it's a mark of integrity when a fixie rider does the same? I don't recommend fixies on hilly terrain, any more than I'd tell you not to change gears on hills. Really?

Not saying that one particular rider can have problems that limit their riding, but I'd never blame it on the fixed gear.

Thanks again for stating my intentions better than my fingers on the keyboard.

saab2000
02-06-2013, 05:17 AM
Saab, how you planning to handle rear flats with the track dropouts and fenders? Absolutely gorgeous bike. I used to have a Quickbeam in similar color scheme... But I didn't love the cantis, would've preferred long reach.

I'll carry a wrench to loosen the nuts. My current Redline SS bike has the White Industries ENO hub and that requires a 6mm allen wrench, which I keep in my seat bag. And if I switch to the überbling Chris King single-speed hubs I'll have to carry an allen wrench of the appropriate size. I've got a serious crush on these hubs..... They come with the pictured "Fun Bolts", which look really nice. Then they also have stainless steel cogs in sizes ranging from 12-20 teeth.

I currently use a 44x15 gearing for my single-speed.

http://chrisking.com/files/images/hubs/IMG_9576_fixed.jpg
http://chrisking.com/files/images/bolts/h-bolts.jpg

Tandem Rider
02-06-2013, 06:09 AM
In my experience with my single speed, there is more problem with wind than hills.

I did a very cheap build for a winter sand, salty slush, and rain bike. I spent more on the fenders than anything else. Bought an 80's chrome-moly framed sport touring bike for $25 at a yard sale, took off bashed der's, freewheel, chain, etc. Better seat from the box'o seats, ss freewheel, ss chain, cables, tape, and go ride. You may have to spring for tires too. Without fenders and tires I was under $100 total.

smead
02-06-2013, 11:32 AM

My $0.03182 cents.

Good points, but make no mistake, one can go just as crazy and over the top on a fixie build as a on a gearly bike - one of these days I'll post some shots of my sub 14 lb. Spec Langster :banana:

Another cheap and flexible option for the OP to consider is to just pick up a cheap older 6-7 speed road bike w/ a decent frame and horz drops, fixie conversion takes one evening using the existing wheels and crank and rings (pick one) and everything else sans the geared drivetrain you'll remove .., make great fixies, and if you wanna go back, just put all the stuff back on.

02-06-2013, 01:37 PM
Good points, but make no mistake, one can go just as crazy and over the top on a fixie build as a on a gearly bike - one of these days I'll post some shots of my sub 14 lb. Spec Langster :banana:

Another cheap and flexible option for the OP to consider is to just pick up a cheap older 6-7 speed road bike w/ a decent frame and horz drops, fixie conversion takes one evening using the existing wheels and crank and rings (pick one) and everything else sans the geared drivetrain you'll remove .., make great fixies, and if you wanna go back, just put all the stuff back on.

Of course one can spend more. Don't look in MY closet. He said he wanted to do it for $500.

darylb
02-06-2013, 01:44 PM
Of course one can spend more. Don't look in MY closet. He said he wanted to do it for $500.

Trust me, I started with an $800 road bike and ended up with a Sierra Nevada Team CDA. :(

Internet forums are really good for the economy. :)

spaced_ghost
02-06-2013, 07:45 PM

to be honest, i did most of my fixed riding in Kansas City, which, as most people don't know, is extremely hilly. stupid, I know. I also rode brakeless for a long time, and attribute my knee problems to the hilliness and brakelessness, rather than fixed itself.