PDA

View Full Version : Todays ride report

dsimon
11-05-2005, 09:02 PM
a slow easy afternoon 25miles sunny 76 and cool breaze. just right would have done more but it was just so perfect i had to rush home to that perfect pot of beef stew that im cooking hope this finds my serotta friends well :D

Fixed
11-05-2005, 09:15 PM
bro our am ride one lady high milage junky sticks her finger in her spokes messin with her computer and goes over the bars meat wagon carts her away they strap her on a wooden board cos she hit her head when she landed ,she's about 5' and weighs about 85 pounds. cheers :beer:

Tailwinds
11-05-2005, 09:18 PM
No ride for me today b/c I caught a cold, but I'm glad to hear everyone else's ride reports.

Fixed, was that anyone that I know? Sorry to hear that!

jerk
11-05-2005, 09:20 PM
trainer ride...yuck. listened to the clash, did sprint intervals. yuck.

jerk

Fixed
11-05-2005, 09:29 PM
No ride for me today b/c I caught a cold, but I'm glad to hear everyone else's ride reports.

Fixed, was that anyone that I know? Sorry to hear that!Lisa Blix

FierteTi52
11-05-2005, 09:30 PM
We are enjoying an extended fall here in Buffalo, NY. Mid sixty's and no wind for the first time in 2 weeks. After Aquatic Pilates with my wife and too many household chores, I managed to squeeze in 28 miles before I was caught in a rain shower. Finshed the ride with my blinking LED taillight as darkness set in.
No complaints here, riding in shorts and without a jacket in November is amazing. Enjoyed a nice Porter while cleaning my bike, and jumped in the hot tub.
Jeff

Tailwinds
11-05-2005, 09:32 PM
Ohmygosh!!! I DO know her! She's already had more than her share of bad luck. She's strong as hell and a really nice girl, too. Please PM me to keep me updated about her condition if you know anything.

Ken Robb
11-05-2005, 10:18 PM
down bike path from La Jolla to Mission Bay, along the water to Sportsman's Seafood for large clam chowder and Heineken for $6 lunch, up La Jolla Shores Drive to home and ND/Tenn football game. Sunny 68 degrees. Waterford RS11. today. Legend yesterday.

BumbleBeeDave
11-05-2005, 10:31 PM
. . . in upstate NY with sunny skies, gentle breeze, and 67 degree highs. Did 50 miles out into the country west of here along Skyline Drive with our very own Forum Buddy Tom and other friends Steve and John. Trees were changing, leaves were gently blowing, roads were dry and smooth. Holy SH*T I had a good time!

BBDave

Russ
11-05-2005, 10:59 PM
Summer in So. Florida, that is!

Today's ride: 83 degrees, low humidity (for Florida) 63%, sunny and windy.

Felt good... Nice steady 40 miles, averaged 21 mph. Got home for a HOT shower! Ahhh it is good to have electricity after Ms. Wilma!

Cheers my forum pals!

Johny
11-05-2005, 11:07 PM
averaged 21 mph...

Not bad my pal considering tailwind was 15 mph.

P.S. Glad you survived another hurricane! :D

Russ
11-05-2005, 11:32 PM
Not bad my pal considering tailwind was 15 mph.

P.S. Glad you survived another hurricane! :D

Hey bud, remember.... You have to ride against the wind at some point!

By the way, how do you know the "Tailwinds" was going 15 mph? She is not in Florida now :p :p :p

Tailwinds
11-05-2005, 11:34 PM
It seems around here, I'm always going 8 :( or 38 :D . There is no such thing as 15.

KevinK
11-05-2005, 11:44 PM
My wife and I took our tandem out on a thoroughly miserable day in Eugene/Springfield today. It was really wet, cold and really windy. We did 39 miles taking in "long" McKenzie View Drive from our home in North Eugene. The headwind parts we crawled along at 13mph, but the tailwind legs we we at 24mph without even trying. When we got to the intersection at Hill Road, we could have shortened the ride by about 10 miles by going right, but we decided that since we were the only crazies out on the road anyway, we might as well take the long way home and so we went left to Mohawk. We both got cold feet because our new "waterproof" shoecovers weren't, but other than that we actually had a good time. And boy did that hot shower feel good after the ride! Since the tandem got totally soaked during the ride, I took a garden hose to it afterward to clean off the road gunk, and blew it dry with compressed air. I was really proud of Val today, as it was by far the worst weather she has been out in. She is a wonderful stoker, and we enjoy each other's company, even after 26 years.

Kevin
Eugene, OR

dsimon
11-06-2005, 12:08 AM
i was always told that a tandem is a marriage excelorator. and i said excelorator? yeah which ever way its going on a tandem it goes faster :argue: :D

davids
11-06-2005, 06:59 AM
90 minutes in heavy fog, tracing trails through the Blue Hills. I pushed myself just enough to feel ready for more. Cleared almost everything I tried. Just great!

It was also my first ride with contact lenses. I'm very pleased - It's been so long since I've had peripheral vision that the world feels bigger! :)

I'm meeting a friend in about 90 minutes for a morning on the road. Hoping the fog will clear like yesterday... As far as I'm concerned, winter can stay away.

Lifelover
11-06-2005, 07:29 AM
40 miles with a couple of close friends on mostly country roads. Flat country roads!.

Temps in the 60's and 9 mph winds. As good as it gets. One friend thought he pulled/strained his left hamstring on the way out so on the return trip we would not able to take full advantage of being with the wind.

Trying to talk myself into a ride this morning but the boys want me to stay home and fry them some bacon.

Will either go for a ride or go striper fishing this afternoon. :banana:

TriJim
11-06-2005, 01:41 PM
26-mile loop near home. Cool and calm.

Our leaves are peak color this weekend -- noteworthy were the reds and yellows reflected in the calm waters of Yellow Breeches Creek.

Kevan
11-06-2005, 01:43 PM
My pal Greg met me at my curb at 8a.m. for a coolish, certainly foggy and humid ride. My travels and all the expense meals haven't done much for keeping me "in-the-game", but I was certainly looking forward to getting 40 miles worth of sweat going. Instead, about 3 miles into the ride my buddy crashed behind me.

He's now sporting a broken collar bone and some road rash that'll make sleep hard to come by this evening. The balance of the morning was left to seeing him into an ambulance, getting myself home, having my wife take his bike home, then finding my pal's wife who herself was out on a ride with her pals, and getting her home.

Kids, my pal hit a fist-sized rock that I didn't even see to point out to him. Both his tires blew and he went down hard even though we weren't going all that fast. He landed on his helmeted head and shoulder. He lay prone on the blind side of down hill turn as I was turning myself around and wheeling my way back to him, I yelled at him to drag himself off the road, imagining a car coming fast around the bend towards him. The first 5 minutes were upsetting as he passed in and out of consciousness on 3 occasions. The ambulance took some time getting to us, but the police arrived quick and my pal had pretty much gotten himself together to talk to them.

He called me just minutes ago, just getting home from the hospital, and I could tell by his voice, and certainly he confirmed it, the pain and soreness was moving in.

Preaching to the choir, wear your helmet. My pal was saved a whole lot of aggravation wearing his.

Some ride report.

L84dinr
11-06-2005, 02:58 PM
My daughter had a dressage event this morning in a little place south of our home; about 28 miles or so. So I threw the bike rack on the back of the van and carried the bike to the horse event. After she had finished her two events, (Emily scored a fourth, and Haven't heard about the second score yet) I climbed on the bike and headed for home. Was a good ride except for the headwind the whole way. Saw three other riders out today, they were all going the other way :>( I am getting tired of riding by my lonesome. Traffic was decent, most people waited for a clear road too pass, and I beat the family home.

I am trying to get used to the bike. The tt is longer (58 vs 56 on my other road bikes), than any of my other bikes, along with a 120 length stem so I am really stretched out, which I think I like... I am not as scrunched up in my shoulders. And i am using 175 cranks; vs. 172.5, which definitely take some getting used too. I love the torque, haven't been able to get in a good spin pattern; will take some time. I have some big meaty Vittoria utmost sew-ups on Paris-Roubaix rims and the ride is great. All in all a good riding comfortable bike.

Thanks, rtp

Dr. Doofus
11-06-2005, 04:02 PM
2.5 hrs on the trainer, for a thrilling 12.5 hrs on the trainer for the week

ribs are getting there

beungood
11-06-2005, 04:13 PM
90 Minutes in the Blue Hills sounds fun. I usually ride a road route from my house to the Blue Hills Reservation and climb the Chickatawbut hill from Braintree to Canton and loop around the perimeter of the reservation. Ive often wondered what riding a MTB IN the hills would be like. Now im thinking I may need to add another rig to my stable...... :crap:

davids
11-06-2005, 06:33 PM
90 Minutes in the Blue Hills sounds fun. I usually ride a road route from my house to the Blue Hills Reservation and climb the Chickatawbut hill from Braintree to Canton and loop around the perimeter of the reservation. Ive often wondered what riding a MTB IN the hills would be like. Now im thinking I may need to add another rig to my stable...... :crap:
My ride today was from my friend's house in Brookline through Dover and Needham. The fog never cleared, and the mist was thick. We got cold when stopped (like when my friend flatted... :( ). I wasn't really dressed properly for that much wet...

But it was much, much better than not riding at all or (:no: :crap: :no: ) two hours on a trainer.

I frequently ride Chickatawbut through the Blue Hills - It's one of my standard summer morning routes. Route map below, followed by the route of Sunday's ride.

OK, enough screwing around with Internet toys. I'm going to do some work...

Pedro72
11-06-2005, 06:44 PM
did 48 windy miles today. felt like 75 miles. whew.

Dekonick
11-06-2005, 07:00 PM
Was going to go ride with the DC fixed crew but was held over Sat for another 24 hour shift (at least it was overtime!) - woke up late today and didn't get out of work until approx 9:00 am - the ride was at 10:30. No way I could go home, change, then meet the group in time. Bummer.

Instead my wife and I went for a long walk with the little guy. It was beautiful! Foliage was at its peak, weather was nice... munchkin was happy and quiet! It was actually worth missing the group ride for the quality time with my wife.

Dek

shinomaster
11-06-2005, 07:49 PM
While having lovely fall weather!
Then I got on my cross pig to do a ride and it started pouring rain! Wiped out on my *** on my worthless bike again (on pavement) while slowing down with my front brake to stop at a water fountain. Did 15-20 meter hill run ups on Mt. tabor and rode down super slippery rocky down hills...Got soaked and very cold...Miserable.. :argue: :crap:

Wayne77
11-06-2005, 08:04 PM
No ride for me today..I have a cold too. The closest to anything bike related today was spend an hour with some acetone rubbing off the ugly decals from my silver stem and seatpost on my Concours. I am very happy with the results though!

jerk
11-06-2005, 08:51 PM
the jerk rode 50 miles today in the wind and rain with two of his buddies. the legs felt heavy like they had no snap but otherwise fine...probably more to do with the heavy wet clothing and the fact that the jerk rode the trainer the night before doing intervals.....stopped at the apple farm to steal apples....(the jerk actually has an "arrangement" with the propertiers so its not really stealing....jerk's pals bought some caramel candied apples too....)

parts of the road were really chopped up, which the jerk really likes but his buddies really hate. the bike was covered in muddy toothpaste after the ride and the jerk was cold but glad he rode......then the jerk's buddy calls him an hour later from the hospital after breaking his clavicle and piercing his lung avoiding some stupid woman who looked at him and decided to walk out in front of him 500m from his house.

so yeah,
good ride.
people suck.
mad painful

jerk

700 x 23c
11-06-2005, 08:58 PM
70 miles, 4 hours, 75 degrees and partly cloudy.....just great!

toaster
11-06-2005, 09:13 PM
Did a 20k TT and won Masters 45+ class with a 28:26 time. Watched golf on TV and had some good food.

spiderman
11-06-2005, 10:37 PM
my wife and i had a great 4 mile paddle around our end of the lake
and then i rode twenty with a friend i hadn't ridden with for months
while my wife graded lab reports
...ended the week with 200+ miles...
not bad for november and the offseason...

Frank
11-06-2005, 11:06 PM
Forty miles on the Tommasini on lightly traveled paved roads, 70 degrees and sunny with light NE winds. The colors are brilliant right now and even got to see a buck close up as I rode by a little stream where he was drinking. Reminds me how much I love riding!

weisan
11-06-2005, 11:58 PM
I took full advantage of the fact that the wife and kids are gone visiting my folks to do something I have always wanted to do: Go up to the mountains region in West Texas and do some riding there. Well, that happened over this weekend after I took off directly from work Friday and drove for 8 hours straight. It was a two-day consecutive riding by myself, the temperature was a cool 70 degrees. Did the 75-mile "scenic loop" on Saturday from Fort Davis. It took me nearly 7 hours to complete :p...I was completely lost in time, stop whenever to take in the view or use my digital camera to capture some shots. Lots of climbing, the view is spectacular wherever I looked...I just checked into the house less than an hour ago after leaving Ft. Davis around 3 pm and reaching Austin at 10. I am dead tired, but the weekend riding in the mountains has been one of the most memorable experience, it reminds me of the reason I ride a bike in the first place. Well, before I crash, just wanna share some pictures here with my serotta pals (Note: my camera is pretty basic with no zoom, so it is certainly not doing justice to the real-life scenery)...I will follow up with the tagline/descriptive text later after I recover. Good night!
weisan ;)
http://alicehui.com/Ft_davis/mini-100_3833.JPG
http://alicehui.com/Ft_davis/mini-100_3877.JPG
http://alicehui.com/Ft_davis/mini-100_3875.JPG
http://alicehui.com/Ft_davis/mini-100_3816.JPG

shinomaster
11-07-2005, 02:05 AM
very nice Weisan...sure beats the rain I slogged through today.

Ken Robb
11-07-2005, 05:38 AM
besides the beautiful scenery it looks like you got some rough/coarse pavement with which I am too familiar. What bike/tires were you riding?

soulspinner
11-07-2005, 06:19 AM
Great pics. All I did was a 30 mile easy ride in upstate NY. Just got in as the rain and high winds picked up. A lot like the warm day we had here two years ago in December.

Cadence230
11-07-2005, 09:34 AM
Sunday, CX race. No power. On 1989 Trek 8000. Won A's last Sunday. Got lapped this Sunday. Sometimes you feel like a nut sometimes you don't. Me take recovery week this week. Cool trip Weisan.

Fixed
11-07-2005, 09:49 AM
weisan bro glad you had a good time I bet they missed you at church ,god has made a wonderful playground for us .cheers

jdoiv
11-07-2005, 10:30 AM
We had wonderfull weather the past couple of days. Saturday saw temps in the mid '70's with the fall colors in full force. Put the kids in the bike trailer and pedaled around the neighborhood in the evening on the mtb. They enjoyed it and I got a short but good workout. Went out Sunday afternoon and rode the mountain bike. Did 2 loops of the local trail. Mountain biking this time of the year is the best. You get to be in the woods and see the fall colors up close. You also get to guess on the best lines to take as the leaves have covered up the trail. I bounced off lots of hidden roots and rocks and my back is feeling it today. But it was a good time. Going up to Tsali in NC next weekend. Hope the weather holds out for it. :banana:

weisan
11-07-2005, 10:57 AM
weisan bro glad you had a good time I bet they missed you at church ,god has made a wonderful playground for us .cheers
fixed-pal, funny you said that...I have always been uneasy about missing church and out enjoying myself on a Sunday instead of setting it aside for the Lord to be holy. And I am not trying to dig out all the legalistic issues here...as I do believe that God looks in the heart, even the pharisees of old observe the Sabbath to the letter of the law but their offerings were not pleasing to God because of "the things they have left undone" and they even take issue with Jesus healing the sick on a Sabbath.....anyhoo, to make the long story short....before I left for the trip, I looked up on the Internet and found a small local church in Ft Davis which I visited and attended worship with them on Sunday from 11 to noon...and then I jumped into my cycling gear and was off again for a 2-hour ride out to a neighboring town about 24 miles away from Ft. Davis called Alpine. What a blessing it was!! To be able to worship and yet be out and about enjoying God's beautiful creation.
I am completely floored by my experience this weekend.

To answer the question from Ken-pal about the bike/tire that I bought for the trip...I know I will out there completely on my own with no sag support whatsoever so I picked the most trustworthy bike out of the three and took the bombproof Legend Ti on my regular CaneCreek chrono wheelset sitting on top Conti Ultra3000X20mm, front tire pressure 90, rear 95 psi...100oz capacity camelbak + 2 waterbottles, two spare tubes, truckloads of fun (peanut butter bread, salted nuts, powerbar, gu, endurolytes e-Caps)

Marron
11-07-2005, 11:33 AM
My ride was fine, 50 miles around Lake Washington in suprisingly fine weather, it was the conversation at the mid-ride coffee break that was outstanding. As I was pulling up to Starbucks there was a much older cyclist parking his bike outside as well. He headed inside as I was getting my bike settled and had ordered his drink and was back outside to sit by the time I had my latte in hand. It was a bit cool so I elected to sit inside.

About 10 minutes later he came in to discard his cup and complemented me on my Merckx and it's beautiful finish. This would be my beat-to-crap Corsa Extra with the fabulous 80's team Weinmann colors; purple, pink and lime green. I returned the compliment and we began chatting. It turns out that he was a Scot who had lived in Seattle since 1960 when he moved here to work for Boeing where he still worked as an electical engineer at age 76. Orin will know him, because it also turns out he is still active in the Seattle Rando group. What an amazing guy; he started racing in 1949 and has kept at it ever since. I want to be like him when I'm 76.

Big Dan
11-07-2005, 11:42 AM
Sunday-34 miles on my (new to me) Merckx MXL....... :p
This bike should carry a disclaimer, it doesn't ride like a Corsa......
You need a hearty breakfast to get it going.
Once up to speed you are not even afraid of incoming traffic....
Nice South Florida day, still trash everywhere from the lastest hurricane... :(

Ken Robb
11-07-2005, 11:45 AM
"Peppermint Point-Our End of the Lake" presents me with lovely mental images--where is it?

Weisan-Pal--700 x20??? I wondered who is light enough to ride those. I have a pair of Fortezzas that size that have very few miles that I would be happy to send you free. Ken( 700x23 is minimum but 28 is better) Robb

weisan
11-07-2005, 12:00 PM
"Peppermint Point-Our End of the Lake" presents me with lovely mental images--where is it?

Weisan-Pal--700 x20??? I wondered who is light enough to ride those. I have a pair of Fortezzas that size that have very few miles that I would be happy to send you free. Ken( 700x23 is minimum but 28 is better) Robb

Ken-pal, haa..haa....you are absolutely right, I normally won't recommend that tire size to my friends...but I weigh nothing but 140 pounds...and occasionally, it dips below the "danger zone" of 138~139 when I am riding "too much" and "eating too little" :D
I have both 25s and 28s tires in my collection and they go on my fixee but comfort aside, I find that they carry just a tab more mass than what little power I have to wind them up to speed and keep up the momentum. A few years ago, I found those 20mm conti-ultra3000 tires on sale in Nashbar for less than $10 a pair, and that's when I stocked them up. Fortunately, they suited my riding well in Austin throughout the year, and so I use them wherever I go.

Your eagle eye is spot on, the road is kinda rough and "chip-sealed" park roads, but I was completely overwhelmed by the scenery that I kinda overlooked it. The bike/wheel/tire combination works ok during the ride.

Thanks for offering the Fortezzas tire, I don't think I have ever ridden that brand before...and yes, I would like to give it a try, if it's not too much trouble & cost too much for you to send it out to me. I will send you a PM with my address....thank you!

weisan