PDA

View Full Version : thepaceline.com?

Joachim
02-04-2013, 02:21 PM
So www.thepaceline.com is directed to the Livestrong website...

Louis
02-04-2013, 02:26 PM
Lance is getting ready to take of this site.

1/2 Wheeler
02-04-2013, 02:27 PM
Love it!

Thank you TonyT

mcteague
02-04-2013, 02:28 PM
But this site is thepaceline.net.

Tim

Joachim
02-04-2013, 02:32 PM
But this site is thepaceline.net.

Tim

Yes....I just find it ironic that a small mistake like .com instead of .net goes to Livestrong of all places. It must be really cold where you are.

William
02-04-2013, 02:46 PM
What about the-paceline dot com? There appears to be a number of things that have shown up on the Paceline dot net there as well. Great minds think alike?:confused:

William

54ny77
02-04-2013, 02:47 PM
now that's funny.

all your armstrong belong to us.

mcteague
02-04-2013, 03:09 PM
Yes....I just find it ironic that a small mistake like .com instead of .net goes to Livestrong of all places. It must be really cold where you are.

Well, at least it does not take you to a .xxx domain site. Not cold at all right now, of course I am typing this from inside my house. Outside is a different story.

Tim

slidey
02-04-2013, 03:12 PM
Dat basthud!

So www.thepaceline.com is directed to the Livestrong website...

katematt
02-04-2013, 03:17 PM
From a web presence perspective they seem to do a lot of forced navigation based on getting hits from Google. I have found while searching for random medical information or other stuff that sometimes their site is listed even if cancer has nothing to do my search.

Figured they have a web team that works on search engine optimization (SEO) that increases hits to their site.

Purchasing other cycling related URL's could also be part of this strategy.

Either way from a not for profit it seemed rather aggressive.

slidey
02-04-2013, 03:25 PM
Sure, its out of line for a non-profit, but livestrong dot com isn't a non-profit. Its the dot org that's a non-profit, if I'm not too mistaken.

In other words, this SEO biz sits square with the attitude of his royal doucheness.

Either way from a not for profit it seemed rather aggressive.

jpw
02-04-2013, 04:37 PM
what, no registered trademark? major oversight.

CunegoFan
02-04-2013, 05:23 PM
Thepaceline.com used to be the fan forum for team Postal/Disco. They shut it down after Team Disco ended.

SoCalSteve
02-04-2013, 05:24 PM
Sure, its out of line for a non-profit, but livestrong dot com isn't a non-profit. Its the dot org that's a non-profit, if I'm not too mistaken.

In other words, this SEO biz sits square with the attitude of his royal doucheness.

With all due respect, you are mistaken about the .org being for non profits. Anyone looking for domain names can try for .net, .org, .gov,.com,.tv...whatever is available for your given domain name...

When we were looking for domain names for ThePaceline, .com wasn't available, but .net was...I don't believed Keith looked beyond those 2...but we could have.

.com being the most popular is the hardest to get.

jpw
02-04-2013, 05:31 PM
With all due respect, you are mistaken about the .org being for non profits. Anyone looking for domain names can try for .net, .org, .gov,.com,.tv...whatever is available for your given domain name...

When we were looking for domain names for ThePaceline, .com wasn't available, but .net was...I don't believed Keith looked beyond those 2...but we could have.

The GOOG algorithm favors .com in search results over other extensions. Therefore .com is of greater commercial value, and domain names ending in .com are more expensive. nothing wrong with using the/ a .org for this forum though.

54ny77
02-04-2013, 05:35 PM
i'm sure the mods/owners are monetizing this .net site to the nth degree, and all of 'em ride custom meivici's or baum's with campy eps and lightweight carbon hoops.

:p

nicrump
02-04-2013, 05:55 PM
since we are on topic, http://thepaceline.net/ seems highly underutilized....

fwiw, the original spirit of the top level domain(TDL, the last label in your domain name) was based on .com for commercial, .org for non profit, .net for communication... .edu... .gov.. and so on.

That all went out the window when people got wind of this thing called the world wide web.

slidey
02-04-2013, 06:35 PM
Oh yeah, I do get that but I was specifically speaking about Livestrong's case. Isn't it so that one of Livestrong dot org, and Livestrong dot com is a profitable org, where as the other is a non-profit?

sworcester
02-04-2013, 06:41 PM

At some point when we lost the oversite, .NET didn't go to network providers, .ORG to organizations, etc. You now get whatever is available. In my experience, if I come up with a domain name that's available, I buy the populars of .net. com. org. The problem is people spec buy the domain in hopes of cashing in later by selling it. Domain squatting has become big business.

The plus side is they are only $10-$12 if available vs the insane prices it was 10-15 years ago to register a domain.

54ny77
02-04-2013, 08:08 PM
http://fraudstrong.com/

http://fraudstrong.org/