PDA

View Full Version : Campy brake barrel adjuster

tuscanyswe
02-03-2013, 05:06 PM
60 usd+ ship for a pair? Thats ridiculous. Love campy but sometimes i feel used :)
Anyone got a better source for getting this kind?

Black Dog
02-03-2013, 08:20 PM
Wow, could be cheaper to buy used brakes. However, any adjusters should work. Try calling Oldpotatoe, he may be able to help you out.

thwart
02-03-2013, 08:59 PM
Those are the Record/Super Record super-light aluminum ones.

Yep, I'd bet OP has a couple of the standard ones laying around...

kramnnim
02-03-2013, 09:11 PM

I have some Chorus 10 calipers with them...odd how Chorus 11 was dumbed down and got steel ones with the o ring style nuts. (and exposed pivot bolts).

thirdgenbird
02-03-2013, 09:26 PM
I have some Chorus 10 calipers with them...odd how Chorus 11 was dumbed down and got steel ones with the o ring style nuts. (and exposed pivot bolts).

Everything was moved down a notch when SR came.

Record went from titanium hardware to alloy hardware
Chorus lost some of its aluminum
Centaur lost the carbon derailleur and skeleton brakes

oldpotatoe
02-04-2013, 07:50 AM

I have new ones and yep, they are expensive, both for you to buy and for me to buy(at wholesale).

I do have the older style, works fine, less $..both aluminum ones and steel(Centaur) ones. About $14 for the steel ones.

druptight
02-04-2013, 08:30 AM
Everything was moved down a notch when SR came.

Record went from titanium hardware to alloy hardware
Chorus lost some of its aluminum
Centaur lost the carbon derailleur and skeleton brakes

The amazing thing about this to me, is that the prices of the lower level groups don't go down. You're getting less for the same price.

TimD
02-04-2013, 08:33 AM
After cracking a Record variant while removing a stuck cable end I was able to find a Chorus-level part for around $18. The difference is noticeable but barely so.

If you'd like the cracked Record variant I'll send it to you.

Tim

tuscanyswe
02-04-2013, 08:38 AM
After cracking a Record variant while removing a stuck cable end I was able to find a Chorus-level part for around $18. The difference is noticeable but barely so.

If you'd like the cracked Record variant I'll send it to you.

Tim

Thanks but i still need another so ill try to find a shop who carries them.
Where did you find the chorus, do you remember?

Cheers

tuscanyswe
02-04-2013, 08:39 AM
I have new ones and yep, they are expensive, both for you to buy and for me to buy(at wholesale).

I do have the older style, works fine, less $..both aluminum ones and steel(Centaur) ones. About $14 for the steel ones.

Hey OP is your price also 60ish for a pair?

Thanks
B

oldpotatoe
02-04-2013, 08:45 AM

Cheers

The 2013 Chorus adjuster is like older Athena/Centaur. Record/SR are the like the one pictured. 2008, Chorus used the Record/SR barrel adjuster, 2009 they went backwards.

TimD
02-04-2013, 12:32 PM

Cheers

Bikeman has them (expensive).

They are also on Amazon from multiple sources for less. The finish is not quite as good as the Record original equipment, but it might be possible to polish them.

Good luck!
Tim

Puget Pounder
02-04-2013, 01:22 PM
I don't know about newer campy stuff, but I just took some adjusters from shimano brakes for my early 2000s campy brakes before.

cmbicycles
02-04-2013, 02:08 PM
Just find some cheap round barrel adjusters and just take a file to one side of it to make it flat. Obviously won't look as nice as the campy ones, but it'll get you going for a while.