PDA

View Full Version : OT - Bergen County or Westchester County

rbtmcardle
02-02-2013, 10:13 PM
I am taking a new job in the Bronx and moving into the NYC area... I grew up in the woods and don't really desire living in the city itself. So what say you metro NY forumites?

I will be renting a place for a year to get the lay of the land.
I will be in the office between 7 and 8
My son is grown and shipping off to the Marines in May.
Ideally I'd like a reasonable bicycle commute..(by reasonable lets say 20 miles one way.
Apartment, condo, townhouse prefered.

I know this has been touched on recently but figured I'd be more specific to my situation.

Thanks in advance.

fiamme red
02-02-2013, 10:29 PM
Where in the Bronx will you be working? It's a large borough.

rbtmcardle
02-02-2013, 10:41 PM
Sorry.. Port Morris/hunts point area.

ultraman6970
02-02-2013, 10:47 PM
I lived in lodi (bergen county) for a couple of months and my only complains even from the last time I went to NJ is that the roads just sucks, my next complain public transportation was not like super reliable and the last thing is that at least from what i noticed is that bergen is just a darn labyrinth like you might never seen before if you are used to chessboard small towns.

verticaldoug
02-03-2013, 05:35 AM
Not the easiest commute on a bicycle. If you want to live a little further out, I'd look at Tuckahoe , Lawrence Park/Sunny Brook area, New Rochelle to start. For Tuckahoe, Lawrence Park you can take Bronx River RD most of the way there. New Rochelle is more little trickier. Both rides would be about 12 miles. If you wanted to live along the Hudson, Hastings-on-Hudson is interesting but a bit further. Riverdale in the Bronx may not be a bad option by the river.

mcoven
02-03-2013, 06:50 AM
Recently been contemplating a similar move... Although ours will be moving from Manhattan (I work in midtown and my wife works uptown). For us, Bergen co (Tenafly) has the nicer community feel, nice homes and great public schools while remaining very commutable for both of us via the GWB. Also some very nice cyling in the Palisades area (Nyack, Piermont, River Road)... Only real downside is lack of a train for those days (and nights) when commuting by bike is not a vaiable or safe option. Hard to get much closer to the city by without actually living in the city!

Westchster is beautiful as well but is a bit less accessible by bike (to midtown IMO). There is great train service from westchester into grand central or to 125th street.

Two great alternatives... hard to go wrong either way.
Best of Luck!

Ken Robb
02-03-2013, 09:10 AM
I would consider differences in all taxes before deciding.

thegunner
02-03-2013, 09:34 AM
bergen and westchester are both pretty affluent communities, i'd guess their taxing structure would be pretty similar (bergen's definitely one of the richest counties in the US)

BCS
02-03-2013, 09:35 AM
I grew up in New Rochelle. My wife is from Bergen County. We lived in Hastings and Manhattan. The starting points are not the issue. It is the destination. Have you seen the sections of the Bronx that you mentioned. In the dark. Good luck and keep your head down.

54ny77
02-03-2013, 09:41 AM
the OP will get some speedwork, thats for sure....

(suggestion to OP--visit first.)

rbtmcardle
02-03-2013, 10:20 AM
Thanks, i am fully aware of the enviroment.. was just looking to hear of any advantages/ disadvantages of th le ny side vs nj side.

harryblack
02-03-2013, 10:35 AM
I would have said Inwood or other parts of upper Manhattan but if you're sure you don't want to be in the city proper (which I understand), I say you wanna be Westchester 1000%... I know the Bronx very very well and the LAST thing you want to do by bike or car is be dependent on the George Washington Bridge... Being in Westchester (or, if you'll compromise a bit, some outlying parts of the Bronx) gives you a jillion more options for getting from point A to point B ** and ** no tolls.

Some killer Puerto Rican & Dominican food in Port Morris/Hunt's Point also, enjoy!

I am taking a new job in the Bronx and moving into the NYC area... I grew up in the woods and don't really desire living in the city itself. So what say you metro NY forumites?

I will be renting a place for a year to get the lay of the land.
I will be in the office between 7 and 8
My son is grown and shipping off to the Marines in May.
Ideally I'd like a reasonable bicycle commute..(by reasonable lets say 20 miles one way.
Apartment, condo, townhouse prefered.

I know this has been touched on recently but figured I'd be more specific to my situation.

Thanks in advance.

lukasz
02-03-2013, 10:51 AM
Yep. Forget about Jersey. The Hudson river crossings are a disaster unless you can take the PATH to your job in lower Manhattan.

mcoven
02-03-2013, 11:04 AM
Yep. Forget about Jersey. The Hudson river crossings are a disaster unless you can take the PATH to your job in lower Manhattan.

GWB by bike is about as easy as it gets...

nooneline
02-03-2013, 11:10 AM
I used to live in the Bronx and enjoyed it - just outside of Hunts Point, actually, in Morrisania. There are some really great neighborhoods tucked away in that area. Don't listen to racist fearmongering about the neighborhoods. It's not the 1970s anymore.

If you're looking outside of the City, some of the towns right around the George Washington Bridge might fit the bill. Fort Lee is nicely centralized and I'd guess there's lots of apartments, condos, or townhouses available (rather than just houses), plus close access to the bridge for bike commuting, and easy walking to the jitney buses that take you over the bridge for a dollar. Other towns along Rt 4 would be convenient to you - there are more and more condos springing up in Englewood nearby. Still close to the bridge, still easy access to the transit that runs on Rt 4.

Generally, northern NJ is a quick ride to the Bronx - over the GWB, down to the Macomb's Dam Bridge... major east-west and north-south streets (except for Grand Concourse) are reasonable riding for commuting.

lukasz
02-03-2013, 01:24 PM
GWB by bike is about as easy as it gets...

Yeah but sometimes you can't bike. And upper & the south Bronx aren't exactly pleasant to ride through. Much better to come in from the north. I wouldn't think in terms of the ideal commute. I'd think reasonable worst case scenarios. Also, what time does the GWB open/close?

fiamme red
02-03-2013, 08:21 PM
If you're looking outside of the City, some of the towns right around the George Washington Bridge might fit the bill. Fort Lee is nicely centralized and I'd guess there's lots of apartments, condos, or townhouses available (rather than just houses), plus close access to the bridge for bike commuting, and easy walking to the jitney buses that take you over the bridge for a dollar. Other towns along Rt 4 would be convenient to you - there are more and more condos springing up in Englewood nearby. Still close to the bridge, still easy access to the transit that runs on Rt 4.

Generally, northern NJ is a quick ride to the Bronx - over the GWB, down to the Macomb's Dam Bridge... major east-west and north-south streets (except for Grand Concourse) are reasonable riding for commuting.Englewood to Hunts Point would be a reasonable commute, about 10 miles each way. Pelham or New Rochelle in Westchester would be about the same, perhaps just slightly farther.

Likes2ridefar
02-04-2013, 12:50 PM
Yeah but sometimes you can't bike. And upper & the south Bronx aren't exactly pleasant to ride through. Much better to come in from the north. I wouldn't think in terms of the ideal commute. I'd think reasonable worst case scenarios. Also, what time does the GWB open/close?

it's open from 6am to 1159pm.

I'd echo a few here and say anywhere but jersey for a commute to the bronx. Yes, on the bike it'll be fine but you won't always be able to ride and it's expensive and usually very time consuming to cross the GWB by car.

at least from the north you'd be able to do the metro north or have a slightly less stressful commute via car, certainly cheaper. the traffic still sucks regardless the direction at most times of the day...

If you can use the North County/South Country trails most the time you'll be one happy bike commuter. It dumps you right into van cortlandt park in the bronx and begins up in Brewster, NY.

torquer
02-04-2013, 01:08 PM
Here's the city bike map; you can see that dedicated bike paths to the section of the Bronx you're interested in are pretty scarce, but shared on-road paths will get you there.
http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcp/pdf/bike/map_complete.pdf
Plenty of nice neighborhoods in the Bronx, which would be more convenient, and possibly cheaper, than Westchester. If you really want to be outside the city limits, Pelham/New Rochelle offers good commuting options (bike/car/train), but is hardly "the country."

fiamme red
02-04-2013, 01:09 PM
If you can use the North County/South Country trails most the time you'll be one happy bike commuter. It dumps you right into van cortlandt park in the bronx and begins up in Brewster, NY.It's a long way through the Bronx from Van Cortlandt to Hunts Point.

I'd prefer a commute from Pelham or New Rochelle. You could take quiet suburban roads, then bike paths through Pelham Bay Park and along Pelham Parkway and the Hutchinson River Parkway. Only the last two or three miles would be on urban streets.

Likes2ridefar
02-04-2013, 01:15 PM
It's a long way through the Bronx from Van Cortlandt to Hunts Point.

I'd prefer a commute from Pelham or New Rochelle. You could take quiet suburban roads, then bike paths through Pelham Bay Park and along Pelham Parkway and the Hutchinson River Parkway. Only the last two or three miles would be on urban streets.

Missed the post about hunts point! Looking at the map for that location, I can't say it looks like fun riding a bike to that area regardless the direction:mad:

my wife commuted to a bit north of that area from Inwood for a year or so, and she did not like it that much but it was still better than any other form of transportation. she had things thrown at her, was heckled pretty regularly by street thugs, and the typical bad experience with cars.

rbtmcardle
02-04-2013, 01:18 PM
Thanks all.. tolls and gas are paid for by the company so the cost wouldnt bother me.. so much but I do figure on commuting as being a good part of my riding time.. the decompression a ride provides from the office to home is priceless on most days.

The only draw to staying in jersey is the conveinance to family and friends looking to visit and I've heard the riding in Bergen county is nice.

Still waiting to get to speak with my accountant but I have heard there is a city wage tax that does not apply if I live outside the 5 boros..

Likes2ridefar
02-04-2013, 01:20 PM
Thanks all.. tolls and gas are paid for by the company so the cost wouldnt bother me.. so much but I do figure on commuting as being a good part of my riding time.. the decompression a ride provides from the office to home is priceless on most days.

The only draw to staying in jersey is the conveinance to family and friends looking to visit and I've heard the riding in Bergen county is nice.

Still waiting to get to speak with my accountant but I have heard there is a city wage tax that does not apply if I live outside the 5 boros..

correct on the wage tax. it's pretty significant. Yonkers is included, I think, but dont know if it's the same rates...i just see that as a choice on the taxes. I'm usually getting a nice refund until I check the box I live in Manhattan.

54ny77
02-04-2013, 01:36 PM
Make sure you also check with your employer/hr department (payroll, specifically) about their potential requirement to withhold NYS/NYC taxes from paycheck, but for which you'll get credit back by NJ come tax time.

While it may be a simple process depending on your situation, your accountant may also be required to file NYC/NYS tax returns at year-end (even though no tax liability), which will up their tax prep cost to you--or at least if he/she charges you for it.

Sorry to throw complications at you, but these are important questions for you to consider and are certainly worth the ask from your employer/accountant.

torquer
02-04-2013, 01:37 PM
If you can use the North County/South Country trails most the time you'll be one happy bike commuter. It dumps you right into van cortlandt park in the bronx and begins up in Brewster, NY.
The continuation of the SCT south of the city line through Van Cortland Park was scheduled for last year, but I haven't seen any work to date. Right now the mapped trail is unpaved, with half-buried railroad ties for some stretches; great if you want to make your commute a daily Paris-Roubaix cum CX race, but not something I'd want to do each day before work!

Also, while I'm not sure its ever enforced, the NC/SCT closes at dark. Any actual commuters (I'm not one) had any problems?

Likes2ridefar
02-04-2013, 01:39 PM
The continuation of the SCT south of the city line through Van Cortland Park was scheduled for last year, but I haven't seen any work to date. Right now the mapped trail is unpaved, with half-buried railroad ties for some stretches; great if you want to make your commute a daily Paris-Roubaix cum CX race, but not something I'd want to do each day before work!

Also, while I'm not sure its ever enforced, the NC/SCT closes at dark. Any actual commuters (I'm not one) had any problems?

my favorite part about the trail is the last few minutes on the dirt section. I wish it was like that the entire way!

fiamme red
02-04-2013, 01:42 PM
my favorite part about the trail is the last few minutes on the dirt section. I wish it was like that the entire way!Really? When it rains, that part of the trail becomes a bog. Not fun if you don't want to get dirty.

christian
02-04-2013, 01:42 PM
Right now the mapped trail is unpaved, with half-buried railroad ties for some stretches; great if you want to make your commute a daily Paris-Roubaix cum CX race, but not something I'd want to do each day before work!It's unpaved, but easily rideable. I happily do it on 23s as long as it's dry. I've (unhappily) done it on 23s in the wet.

Also, while I'm not sure its ever enforced, the NC/SCT closes at dark. Any actual commuters (I'm not one) had any problems?I have wondered about this, but it seems wholly unenforced. When I ride in in the mornings, I almost never see anyone before Ardsley or Yonkers.

Likes2ridefar
02-04-2013, 01:47 PM
Really? When it rains, that part of the trail becomes a bog. Not fun if you don't want to get dirty.

I've never really had an issue but I'm riding a full fender bike 'cross bike with 35c or larger tires most the time. I have taken my road bike numerous times on it with no issues either but not in really muddy conditions...only somewhat muddy.

Weather doesnt really bother me as I feel like I have the proper gear to handle pretty much anything.

Then again I wear scrubs at work so even if I show up sopping wet or covered in crud from a dirty commute, it's not really a big deal!

Likes2ridefar
02-04-2013, 01:49 PM
It's unpaved, but easily rideable. I happily do it on 23s as long as it's dry. I've (unhappily) done it on 23s in the wet.

I have wondered about this, but it seems wholly unenforced. When I ride in in the mornings, I almost never see anyone before Ardsley or Yonkers.

I never rode it in the dark until we discussed this a little while ago via PM. I've since made it my night time training zone as it's much safer. Never an issue.

fiamme red
02-04-2013, 02:00 PM
it's open from 6am to 1159pm.Off-topic question: has anyone here ridden the GWB from midnight to 6 a.m.? I've never tried. Once I got there at 6:05 a.m., and it looked to have been open for a while.

Likes2ridefar
02-04-2013, 02:01 PM
Off-topic question: has anyone here ridden the GWB from midnight to 6 a.m.? I've never tried. Once I got there at 6:05 a.m., and it looked to have been open for a while.

I've been blocked by the gate on the Manhattan side a few times right around 6am even a little after 6am on both weekdays and weekends.

If I recall correctly, the port authority says you can take a bus or something along those lines with your bike if you need to cross while it's closed.

Bob Ross
02-04-2013, 02:45 PM
Off-topic question: has anyone here ridden the GWB from midnight to 6 a.m.? I've never tried. Once I got there at 6:05 a.m., and it looked to have been open for a while.

I've gotten to the NY side as early as 5:35AM and found the gate open. And more than once. But I'm not so curious as to want to do the empirical research to determine precisely when they do unlock it!

verticaldoug
02-04-2013, 04:29 PM
Back on OP's topic, I think there are any number of commuties in either side of the Hudson which are nice. It really is up to your own perferences. What do you want in a neighborhood? Because your son is finished with school, you will have many more options. There are some crummy school districts but the neighborhoods fun and the rents cheaper. Take your time, have fun.

DHallerman
02-04-2013, 05:47 PM
I've heard the riding in Bergen county is nice.

Bergen county cycling is...nice.

But Westchester, especially from mid-county up north, offers far better cycling.

Plus, as others have mentioned, the car commute from Westchester to the Bronx is less nerve-wracking, you have the trains for getting into the city (often useful on weekends).

I grew up in NYC, lived there for years, have cycled much in both counties.

And I'd pick Westchester over Bergen -- as a previous poster noted -- by 1000%.