PDA

View Full Version : Louisville - schedule change

LegendRider
02-01-2013, 08:59 AM
The Official Press Release:

2013 UCI Cyclo-cross World Championships Revised Schedule

Louisville, KY - February 1, 2013. Forecast data from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) project that high water levels in the Ohio River will cause Beargrass Creek to flood the low lying areas of Eva Bandman Park in Louisville, Ky, in the early hours on Sunday morning and that water level will continue to rise for the next 48 hours.

Extraordinary measures, including the construction of a temporary barrier, are ongoing to ensure that the 2013 UCI Cyclo-cross World Championships races will still be held in their entirety. The Organizing Committee and the UCI together took the decision to revise the schedule. All four races will be held on Saturday February 2, starting with Men Juniors at 9:45 a.m., Elite Women at 11 a.m., Men Under-23 at 12:30 p.m., and Elite Men at 2:30 p.m. (All times are Eastern Standard.) All Sunday tickets will be honored at the gate on Saturday which will open at 8 a.m.

For more information, please contact Bill Kellick, Director of Communications, USA Cycling, at 719.209.8210 or bkellick@usacycling.org.

Please find attached the revised program for the 2013 UCI Cyclo-cross World Championships.

srice
02-01-2013, 09:33 AM
Looks like that settles the dilemma I was having - go to the races both days or just Saturday.

MattTuck
02-01-2013, 09:36 AM
Thanks for this, would have been disappointed when I went to watch the race online on Sunday. Let alone if I had actually been going to watch it live.

Is this type of flooding normal? Perhaps next time, they should pick a location unaffected by flooding.

earlfoss
02-01-2013, 09:40 AM
Ouch. After the sponsorship trouble they had and now this.

I am betting there are a lot of canceled travel plans as a result. I was planning to head down tomorrow and that isn't happening now.

LegendRider
02-01-2013, 09:42 AM
I've seen the Tour and various classics in person, but this was going to be my first UCI World Championship event. I guess I'll have to wait until Richmond...

earlfoss
02-01-2013, 09:50 AM
It's interesting to read the comments section on the Velonews article about it. People are ticked off.

I think the organizers and USAC fumbled things pretty badly here in many ways.

MattTuck
02-01-2013, 09:58 AM
All things considered, seems like the smart thing to do. No need risking people's safety or the race course's integrity. I mean, this is going to decide the world champion. If there is even a small chance the course could be compromised, it makes sense to eliminate that chance. You can't call a 'do over' if the course starts flooding.

I'm not sure if this type of flooding is common, but if it is, the location choice for the race is very dubious. Better to get the race off without a hitch this year, regroup, and figure out the future.

Fumbling it pretty badly would be running it on Sunday and cancelling it halfway through the men's race due to rising flood waters. Although, you could just let them race in a flood, and it would be the most epic cyclocross race EVER.

alessandro
02-01-2013, 10:08 AM
Is this type of flooding normal? Perhaps next time, they should pick a location unaffected by flooding.

It is now. Climate change "new normal," lessons from Sandy: U.N. chief (http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/11/09/us-storm-sandy-un-idUSBRE8A81AU20121109)

BumbleBeeDave
02-01-2013, 10:13 AM
. . . indeed! :)

MattTuck
02-01-2013, 10:14 AM
It is now. Climate change "new normal," lessons from Sandy: U.N. chief (http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/11/09/us-storm-sandy-un-idUSBRE8A81AU20121109)

haha, yes!! I was going to blame it on climate change also. That'll buy some slack for the UCI from the Euro fans.

srice
02-01-2013, 10:15 AM
Eva Bandman park - the venue - is bordered by the Ohio River on the north and a major creek on the west. I played soccer many weekends during the 80's in this park and that western section would often flood in the spring. February 3rd is not spring. Walk outside today and you'll be greeted by subzero windchill - it is still winter. This has been a very unusual weather week in Louisville. Tough luck. But I'll be honest - as a local spectator, I appreciate being able to see 4 races on Saturday instead of 2 on Saturday and 2 on Sunday.

earlfoss
02-01-2013, 10:19 AM
With a world championship level event I'd think they'd have a plan b in place course-wise.
I make a crappy armchair quarterback.

All things considered, seems like the smart thing to do. No need risking people's safety or the race course's integrity. I mean, this is going to decide the world champion. If there is even a small chance the course could be compromised, it makes sense to eliminate that chance. You can't call a 'do over' if the course starts flooding.

I'm not sure if this type of flooding is common, but if it is, the location choice for the race is very dubious. Better to get the race off without a hitch this year, regroup, and figure out the future.

Fumbling it pretty badly would be running it on Sunday and cancelling it halfway through the men's race due to rising flood waters. Although, you could just let them race in a flood, and it would be the most epic cyclocross race EVER.

srice
02-01-2013, 10:37 AM
With a world championship level event I'd think they'd have a plan b in place course-wise.
I make a crappy armchair quarterback.

They could always move the race up the street 1/4 mile to where the Master's are racing. A second CX course was built to prevent the Master's from trashing the "better' course before the elite races.

LegendRider
02-01-2013, 10:56 AM
Sunday only ticket holders will get a refund. I just got mine...

TICKET ALTERNATIVE 877-725-8849

gavingould
02-01-2013, 11:21 AM
Gonna be a long day tomorrow.

I don't think there was any way they could have predicted this; so instead of all the complaining, people should be thanking the organizers for bringing this event to the US and making the best of a very difficult situation (sponsors/weather)

Putting on races isn't easy, especially this size of event. Just sayin'

srice
02-01-2013, 12:18 PM
I just realized a benefit of moving the races to Saturday. We can buy a beer before noon on Saturday! I was down there for a CX last fall and went to the beer tent at 11:30 on Sunday only to be turned away. Crazy blue laws

FastVegan
02-01-2013, 03:23 PM
probably a scam to get everyone to watch the superbowl

kidding!!!

I feel bad for Joan and the whole crew running this thing. Cant wait to actually watch worlds, in person.:banana:

krhea
02-01-2013, 05:48 PM
Gonna be a long day tomorrow.

I don't think there was any way they could have predicted this; so instead of all the complaining, people should be thanking the organizers for bringing this event to the US and making the best of a very difficult situation (sponsors/weather)

Putting on races isn't easy, especially this size of event. Just sayin'

As a long time race and event director a huge +1 for this comment.

earlfoss
02-01-2013, 05:56 PM
But this isn't just an event. It is a world championship, not some USAC weekend warrior race.

I wouldn't blame entirely the organizers or the weather individually.
The whole year leading up to the race looked like it was handled in a pretty ham handled fashion whether that is correct or not, that is how it looks.

Hopefully the Saturday races go well and life goes on as always.

T.J.
02-01-2013, 06:19 PM
been interesting today reading about this all over the web. leads me to a question. what leads people to the " boy they F'd that up" or " this is such a joke"? do people easily forget how much hard work went on to get this here in the US, then have a major sponsor bail AND then a freak flood situation in Feb.
that all adds up to "they f'd that up"?

Cinci Jim
02-01-2013, 06:27 PM
looks like it will be a fun day!

T.J.
02-01-2013, 06:32 PM
looks like it will be a fun day!

and they are still working on a flood wall

bambam
02-01-2013, 07:14 PM
I was out at the masters event today.

I don't think they could have it there. The course is way to chewed up and rutted. The could move it to the other end of the park but it would be way to flat and all the hills they could do would be flooded at the bottom. That venue use to be a flat golf course.

It was frozen for the first 2 races then started slopping up. The third race I saw 2 deraillers snap right in front of me. Try to find some pics of it the afternoon was messy. Bike couldn't roll they were so gucked up with frozen mud. The water was frooze up in the pits even though they put anti-freeze in the water supply. Bikes were exchanged a lot. Remined me of the masters internatioal event last year.
It was still great to watch.

Looking forward to tomorrow.

Brad6260
02-02-2013, 06:36 AM
As a lifelong Louisville resident,veteran rider and someone who was at the venue most of yesterday I can add this.

If I were a rider in the event YES I would have issues that would be disappointing and frustrating BUT.....

A) The unfortunate slop and flooding is an unfortunate 1 of 50 odds to find heavy rain, snow, :bike:freeze and flooding here at the same time.
It's rare and just a stroke of bad luck. It's weather!

B) The organization aspect of things seem to have been handled reasonably well.
They were handed a drastic move on the fly scenario and made the best of what they had to work with to accomplish the primary task at hand.
Especially given that this is an all new event for UCI and the community here.

c) the Parking is bad due to the slop and that was not well thought out and needs to be addressed but that's an easy fix. The Events today will offer more on pavement options to park.

d) Louisville has become one of the top rider favorites on the Ironman tour since 07. The area seems to have emerged as a hidden gem for rider events.
We hope this continues.There were major issues to overcome at the onset as well.

Roll all this together and hopefully the event will return here in the future.
The opportunities in Louisville for a great venue for rider and fan are amazing.
If these condition existed elsewhere I believe the same issues would be in play.

It's Pedalcross baby, Go with the flow! or flows.

mtb_frk
02-02-2013, 06:40 AM
Some fresh snow this morning, should make for a interesting day.

Brad6260
02-02-2013, 06:47 AM
Ya know as a rider I would think you just need to muster your " meet all challenges " attitude.

Let's be honest that where this sport came from.

If you want predictable get on your road bike.

Brad6260
02-02-2013, 06:51 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=FW18Gzo9EEQ

FYI- Course construction video.