PDA

View Full Version : New laws govern NYC delivery bikes

BumbleBeeDave
02-01-2013, 07:48 AM
http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/getting_jump_on_rogue_cyclists_B8D57kscU9r3dOXZy2D U1I

I guess let's see if it makes a difference. Every time I've ever been down there these guys were careening in every direction.

Any NYC denizens out there who can comment?

BBD

Likes2ridefar
02-01-2013, 07:59 AM
Delivery guys are certainly guilty of basically going where they please, but I'm not sure they are any worse than the majority of people riding bikes in the city.

Of course, there are always exceptions and most people, like myself, probably have reasons they justify why they ride what is considered illegal in certain instances.

Personally I don't think it'll be very effective unless they ticket the cyclists and I can't imagine any police officers doing that in my area in Inwood, but that's coming from my own personal experience with 311. Simply having to call them is more than most people will want to do considering how long it usually takes to make a call. And unless the business name is quite large I doubt you'll be able to grab the information anyways.

It's so far out of the way due to the one way streets it'll be very hard to convince people to not cut corners. If I did not go the wrong way down a half block, I would be forced to ride 2 more blocks into the center of the city from the bike path then turn around and ride back down them. I think that is exposing me to far more danger than slowly going a half block on the far west side in the early AM before most people are heading to work.

Perhaps they will be different with cyclists, but the same 311 service that was supposed to help protect me from negligent landlords completely let me down over a long period of time, and I know I'm not the only one.

zzy
02-01-2013, 11:41 AM
The real problem isn't even with cyclists - it's the damn little electric bikes most delivery people are now riding, which are technically illegal to begin with. They are easily the most dangerous thing on two wheels in the city. I'm nearly hit by the on a daily basis (on my bike or on my feet), especially when they're going the wrong way in a bike lane. The people who ride them usually speak no english and have no idea how our traffic works. They blow reds and through packs of pedestrians while beeping that crappy horn on the bike. I doubt anyone will be able to get their info either as it's hard to read it in the dark as they zip by. Also I wonder how true this is as the Post as a notorious history of publishing asinine, reactionary nonsense about cycling in general.

jbal3242
02-01-2013, 01:55 PM
Agreed on the electric bikes...working in midtown west with bike lanes on 8th and 9th aves it can be deadly when they go in the wrong direction and you don't see them until the last second.

yielding to pedestrians is non-existant for the most of the delivery guys and combine that with people texting while walking across the bike lanes and you can imagine the results.