PDA

View Full Version : Fizik Shoes

TomP
02-01-2013, 07:15 AM
I'm thinking of trying some new shoes. The Fizik look nice. Can anyone comment on their opinion of them and if they tend to fit more narrow, the same, or wider than Sidis?

Thanks

PS, I'll be looking for a size 44 according to the size charts

charliedid
02-01-2013, 07:29 AM
Great shoes IMO

I find they run a little bigger than SIDI. I wear a size smaller in Fizik. Similar overall in terms of last shape. Deeper heel cup and a touch more volume in toe box.

The moldable insoles that come in the R1 are great. R1 is an all leather shoe so might open up a little vs a synthetic shoe.

Try them on for sure.

FlashUNC
02-01-2013, 08:13 AM
Love them.

They also have a pretty aggressive arch set-up, which may or may not play well with your feet.

I think they suck to walk around in, but are fantastic on the bike.

I'm not a huge fan of the redesign that introduces more mesh into the shoe. Seems like fizik is conceding they may have overbuilt their first generation models. I know after using my pair after a year, they still look new.

charliedid
02-01-2013, 08:18 AM
Love them.

They also have a pretty aggressive arch set-up, which may or may not play well with your feet.

I think they suck to walk around in, but are fantastic on the bike.

I'm not a huge fan of the redesign that introduces more mesh into the shoe. Seems like fizik is conceding they may have overbuilt their first generation models. I know after using my pair after a year, they still look new.

Good point about arch and new models. I forgot about that...I think the orig. R1 had some stretching problems and not so great for getting wet.

MattTuck
02-01-2013, 10:16 AM
Do they have a mega sizing option like Sidi? I like the color selections, those red ones look good :)

rice rocket
02-01-2013, 10:22 AM
The high arch thing is a love or hate thing, but there's been a few articles about how it prevents nerve pinching and whatnot, because it spreads out your metatarsals.

Steve Hogg's article: http://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/blog/2011/02/foot-correction-part-1-arch-support/

I did the Dr Scholls 3D fit thing, and it told me I had flat feet, so I thought the R1s might not work. First time I stepped into mine, I thought immediately ouch, this is gonna hurt after 2 miles, but surprisingly it doesn't. Thermoforming only makes it better.

The stack height isn't the shortest though, be prepared to raise your saddle a little to compensate if you had low stack height shoes before.

Jaq
02-01-2013, 12:24 PM
The last set of shoes I bought, I narrowed down to Fiziks, Giro, and Sidis. Tried them all at the local shop. I really liked the R3s; the R1s were a little bit spendy. Both, though, were slightly more flexible than the Giros, which were just a little more flexible than the Sidis. As I was told, Fizik and Giro were dead set on making the lightest shoe possible, which meant a little more give in the sole. Sidi, on the other hand, wasn't as concerned with weight, so was a little stiffer.

Even so, the Fiziks were plenty stiff, but they were incredibly light; I was really agog how feathery-light they were. The Giros (Factors) fit the best, though obviously everybody's foot's a little different. In the end, though, I went with Sidi Lasers because I got lucky on ebay and grabbed a pair for dirt cheap. (With about 1,200 miles on 'em now, I absolutely love them.)

Sizing in Fiziks & Giros I believe runs about a half step up from Sidis; if you take a 43.5 in Sidis, you want a 44 in Fiziks or Giros. Double check, though.

XX Cycle tends to have solid prices on shoes. (http://www.xxcycle.com/road-shoes-and-fizik,en.php)

LJohnny
02-01-2013, 12:36 PM
The last set of shoes I bought, I narrowed down to Fiziks, Giro, and Sidis. Tried them all at the local shop. I really liked the R3s; the R1s were a little bit spendy. Both, though, were slightly more flexible than the Giros, which were just a little more flexible than the Sidis. As I was told, Fizik and Giro were dead set on making the lightest shoe possible, which meant a little more give in the sole. Sidi, on the other hand, wasn't as concerned with weight, so was a little stiffer.

Even so, the Fiziks were plenty stiff, but they were incredibly light; I was really agog how feathery-light they were. The Giros (Factors) fit the best, though obviously everybody's foot's a little different. In the end, though, I went with Sidi Lasers because I got lucky on ebay and grabbed a pair for dirt cheap. (With about 1,200 miles on 'em now, I absolutely love them.)

Sizing in Fiziks & Giros I believe runs about a half step up from Sidis; if you take a 43.5 in Sidis, you want a 44 in Fiziks or Giros. Double check, though.

XX Cycle tends to have solid prices on shoes. (http://www.xxcycle.com/road-shoes-and-fizik,en.php)

I usually take 42.5 in Sidi, but I go a full size down, 41.5 on the 2012 Fizik shoes. I don't find them featherweight, more of the opposite compare to Sidi. So, I am starting to wonder if we are talking about the same shoe here, are you referring to the 2013 perhaps? There are several sites burning the 2012 at a significant discount...
The stack is indeed high.

Jaq
02-01-2013, 01:11 PM
As for sizing, I seem to recall the half-up for Giros and Fiziks being the case. As for weight, the Fiziks are listed at about 480 grams per pair before cleats. Giros come in around 520 or so, and the various Sidis come in at around 600. I think those weights are for size 42-43 shoes.

High-end Sidis (Ergo 3s and the new Sidi Wires) also are available with Speedplay mounts, if that's of interest to the OP. The Sidi Wires are basically the shoes Sagan was wearing in last year's TdF

corky
02-01-2013, 01:51 PM

don't want be 'that guy' but..... I hate reading about folk who use bike shops as product testing labs and then purchase stuff online.... it's very bad manners if financially prudent..... just my opinion

dekindy
02-01-2013, 02:05 PM
don't want be 'that guy' but..... I hate reading about folk who use bike shops as product testing labs and then purchase stuff online.... it's very bad manners if financially prudent..... just my opinion

+1. Too much information; should have left that part of the story out.

LJohnny
02-01-2013, 02:25 PM
As for sizing, I seem to recall the half-up for Giros and Fiziks being the case. As for weight, the Fiziks are listed at about 480 grams per pair before cleats. Giros come in around 520 or so, and the various Sidis come in at around 600. I think those weights are for size 42-43 shoes.

High-end Sidis (Ergo 3s and the new Sidi Wires) also are available with Speedplay mounts, if that's of interest to the OP. The Sidi Wires are basically the shoes Sagan was wearing in last year's TdF
These are actual weights from Art's cyclery blog (http://blog.artscyclery.com/product-reviews/the-best-of-the-super-shoes/).

Fizik R1 – 344 g

Giro Factor – 253 g

Sidi Ergo 3 – 316 g

Shimano R315 – 283 g

Specialized S-Works – 249 g

Regarding the size, Glory Cycles (http://glorycycles.blogspot.com/2011/12/fizik-shoe-review.html) had a consistent fitting results to those I encounter :
"Size and fit. Larger than Sidi in length and width with a roomier toe box. My 44 Sidi Genius 6.6 are rather tight and my 44 Fizik even a tad big for me.
Medium to high arch and rather narrow around the heel. Almost identical in size to my Lake 44.5 and Scott shoes 44 but narrower and longer than my Shimano 44 and Northwave 43.5"

MattTuck
02-01-2013, 02:35 PM
These are actual weights from Art's cyclery blog (http://blog.artscyclery.com/product-reviews/the-best-of-the-super-shoes/).

Fizik R1 – 344 g

Giro Factor – 253 g

Sidi Ergo 3 – 316 g

Shimano R315 – 283 g

Specialized S-Works – 249 g

Regarding the size, Glory Cycles (http://glorycycles.blogspot.com/2011/12/fizik-shoe-review.html) had a consistent fitting results to those I encounter :
"Size and fit. Larger than Sidi in length and width with a roomier toe box. My 44 Sidi Genius 6.6 are rather tight and my 44 Fizik even a tad big for me.
Medium to high arch and rather narrow around the heel. Almost identical in size to my Lake 44.5 and Scott shoes 44 but narrower and longer than my Shimano 44 and Northwave 43.5"

How about the instep? That's always the limiting factor for me. I had to get the Sidi Mega, not for width or length, but because I needed the height at the instep.

charliedid
02-01-2013, 03:10 PM
How about the instep? That's always the limiting factor for me. I had to get the Sidi Mega, not for width or length, but because I needed the height at the instep.

You might be okay in that department. They are a bit higher volume than Sidi.

Jaq
02-01-2013, 04:21 PM

I pulled my weight data directly from Fizik, the Giros from Giro, and the Sidis from Colorado Cyclist, I think; Sidi's cagey about their weight, since their shoes tend to be a little heavier. As for the fit... YMMV. 42.5 Sidi Ergo 3s fit my foot like 43 Giros and Fiziks. But then, that's why I said "double check" at the end of my claim.

Jaq
02-01-2013, 04:43 PM
Whoops. Double.

TomP
02-02-2013, 07:55 AM
Thanks for the feedback. They sound like they maybe right on for me. I'm going to go try some on.

oldpotatoe
02-02-2013, 07:59 AM

Agree, one of the reasons we don't sell shoes. You could spot the mailorder cowboy a mile away. Spend 30-40 minutes with them trying on shoes(or helmets or saddles) and they would say 'thanks' and leave. 'Love' retail sometimes.

I tried some and they made the middle of my fot go to sleep. Like saddles, YMMV.

AS for the list of how you support your LBS, good for you, I think the point was tell us about the sizing, leave the link to the MO place at home.

PoppaWheelie
02-02-2013, 08:17 AM
I have the R1's and the R3's...in the Bay Area it's nice to have the option of going with a full leather shoe as it can be nipple'y out quite often. In the summer (away from SF) the black leather is a bit too much.

I have weird feet...wide, Morton's, neuroma...you name it. I came off ee-width Shimanos with $500 custom insoles that seemed to solve most of my problems. I bought a set of R3's off the Clymb on a whim and I have to say these damn things changed my (riding) life! This won't translate to anyone else (unless you have my same weird feet...in which case, sorry) but the fit for me is perfect right out of the box. I didn't even mold them. Same comments as have been covered...wide toe box, runs larger in sizing, deep heel, high arch. The construction is top notch.

I'm thinking of stocking up in case they change them..

whforrest
02-02-2013, 01:34 PM
You can still find nice deals online and support your local bike shop with dignity. My bike shop is strong in many areas, matter fact they special ordered many parts

jmoore
02-04-2013, 11:24 AM
This won't translate to anyone else (unless you have my same weird feet...in which case, sorry) but the fit for me is perfect right out of the box. I didn't even mold them. Same comments as have been covered...wide toe box, runs larger in sizing, deep heel, high arch. The construction is top notch.

This is making me want to try a pair. I wear Northwaves because of the wide toe box, but I could certainly use the higher arch and deep heel cup.

sworcester
02-04-2013, 07:33 PM
I bought a pair of R1s off the Clymb at $220 or so before the new version came out and the price went <$200. I really like them, I bought a 44, I am a US 11 in Specialized and previously Asics. They are comfy, there isn't anyone around to mold the insole (not within 200 miles) but they kind of, eventually, settle in. I have about a couple thousand miles on them and do not regret the purchase at all.

I will complain a little about the heel pads occasionally going wonkers and out of true, but only on one shoe. One of the LBS' in the territory got me some new heel pads gratis. I have had to put it back a few times and had to re-glue the set screw because of all the movement. And the tension buckle (right word?) needs the screw to be tightened every once in a while, but not more so that others that would have that feature I think. But fit-wise, love them. The Kangaroo leather is supple. Rode them in 100 plus heat down to 35 degrees with no thermal complaints.

Truth fully, if I paid retail, I would not like them as much (and I did go my local "go-to" LBS first trying to spend my money, but I didn't like anything they had)

neil7
10-01-2013, 08:12 AM
I usually take 42.5 in Sidi, but I go a full size down, 41.5 on the 2012 Fizik shoes. I don't find them featherweight, more of the opposite compare to Sidi. So, I am starting to wonder if we are talking about the same shoe here, are you referring to the 2013 perhaps? There are several sites burning the 2012 at a significant discount...
The stack is indeed high.

The Fizik r1 stack height is 1mm less than a Sidi ERGO2 without innersoles in and 1mm more with the innersoles fitted. I have both and measured through the rear medial side bolt hole with a needle. Needed to go down a whole size from Sidi to R1 shoes.