PDA

View Full Version : Landis jumps on the Gran Fondo bandwagon

BumbleBeeDave
01-31-2013, 08:20 PM
. . . and this one is right in my backyard.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/floyd-landis-announces-gran-fondo

Devil's Kitchen is a B*TCH of a climb . . . I did it this past summer for the first time and it is one tough MF.

BBD

thwart
01-31-2013, 08:24 PM
Good to see FL doing something in cycling that's not at all related to LA or doping...

shovelhd
01-31-2013, 08:50 PM
Unless they test like at GFNY.

BumbleBeeDave
01-31-2013, 08:50 PM
Floyd did some pretty rank things, but at least he did come clean, unlike someone else we know . . . :rolleyes:

BBD

shovelhd
01-31-2013, 08:54 PM
You would do it because you'd get a break on your entry fee ;)

BumbleBeeDave
01-31-2013, 08:58 PM
. . . if I'm riding moto with a camera. :rolleyes:

Also, I hear it's now been re-named the "Grand Floydo" . . .

BBD

Cat3roadracer
01-31-2013, 09:01 PM
BBD, join Q, Artie, Beils, and I this summer. We start in Frehold, up Devils Kitchen, around Hunter, back to the deli. A 50 mile loop. Just enough.

BumbleBeeDave
01-31-2013, 09:07 PM
BBD, join Q, Artie, Beils, and I this summer. We start in Frehold, up Devils Kitchen, around Hunter, back to the deli. A 50 mile loop. Just enough.

I started in Windham, went down the hill on 23, around to West Saugerties, then up the Kitchen through Hunter back to Windham.

Through the haze in my brain on the way up, I got to the top and wondered if the engineers had made a mistake when they built it. Seems like the last 3 or so ramps were much steeper--like they got that far up, realized "Oops! We misjudged!" and had to make the last three way steeper to make it all fit.

BBD

54ny77
02-01-2013, 01:05 AM
bummer, i'm booked at the barry bonds home run training camp that weekend.

drhule33
02-01-2013, 06:48 AM
Looking for details on the event? Is there a website or registration somewhere online?

happycampyer
02-01-2013, 07:15 AM
He should get Androgel as a sponsor and give out free testosterone patches. "Recover like a pro!"

laupsi
02-01-2013, 07:48 AM
. . . and this one is right in my backyard.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/floyd-landis-announces-gran-fondo

Devil's Kitchen is a B*TCH of a climb . . . I did it this past summer for the first time and it is one tough MF.

BBD

visited friends who live in Woodstock about 11 years ago, they live about a 1/2 mile past the top of Devil's Kitchen climb. did the climb and couldn't believe how steep and long it was. at the time I was riding a 39/23 as my "climbing gear"; it was a MF, you are correct!

have another friend who raced the Tour de Trump back in the day when they went up that climb during one of the stages. my racer friend said at the base of the climb big dark storm clouds were brewing; the peleton picked up the pace to the point he doesn't even remember the climb, said it was a total non-factor in the race. that stage ended in downtown Woodstock, the peleton wanted to get to the finish prior to the rain. needless to say I was amazed and humbled at his perception of it.

at the time I was racing regulary as a senior Cat 2 and holding my own. just goes to show the difference between the pretenders and the real thing!!!

BumbleBeeDave
02-01-2013, 07:59 AM
. . . with a 34-26 and it was a hot day--85 plus. I had to stop a couple of times. I'd never done it before so it seemed to go on forever. But the top is unexpected. goes from super steep to on top seems like instantly. Seems like if you had anything left to sprint and other racers weren't familiar with the climb it would be a good way to get away over that last ramp.

BBD

67-59
02-01-2013, 08:11 AM
Floyd did some pretty rank things, but at least he did come clean, unlike someone else we know . . . :rolleyes:

BBD

He "came clean" AFTER he was busted and stripped of his title...exactly like someone else we know....:rolleyes:

I am no longer a Lance fan. But let's stop treating Floyd like he came clean for the good of the sport. He would never have "confessed" if he hadn't first been caught. Same for Tyler.

laupsi
02-01-2013, 08:12 AM
. . . with a 34-26 and it was a hot day--85 plus. I had to stop a couple of times. I'd never done it before so it seemed to go on forever. But the top is unexpected. goes from super steep to on top seems like instantly. Seems like if you had anything left to sprint and other racers weren't familiar with the climb it would be a good way to get away over that last ramp.

BBD

got an even "better" one for you. if you're ever in the Canaan Valley, WV, there's a climb heading out of Parsons, WV you must try just to say you did it. sort of like Mt Washington, NH. "Sugar Lands Road"; mostly tree covered, I clocked it at 4.7 miles long w/an average gradient of 13%. that's right, it's really that steep and that long. stretches of it top out over 20%, after the base, 1st mile, leaving the river it never get's back to below 10%. :eek:

BumbleBeeDave
02-01-2013, 08:14 AM
He "came clean" AFTER he was busted and stripped of his title...exactly like someone else we know....:rolleyes:

I am no longer a Lance fan. But let's stop treating Floyd like he came clean for the good of the sport. He would never have "confessed" if he hadn't first been caught. Same for Tyler.

I wasn't trying to absolve him. Just note that he appears to have spoken more truth in the end than Lance has yet to do--and will never do, IMHO. I think Floyd has some personal issues of his own, just like Lance.

BBD

Tony T
02-01-2013, 08:29 AM

BBD

Yeah, I hear Madoff also came clean, so I guess that makes it ok too :rolleyes:

nicrump
02-01-2013, 08:34 AM
delete

Vientomas
02-01-2013, 08:51 AM
delete

Good decision.

Charles M
02-01-2013, 09:02 AM
I wasn't trying to absolve him. Just note that he appears to have spoken more truth in the end than Lance has yet to do--and will never do, IMHO. I think Floyd has some personal issues of his own, just like Lance.

BBD

The enemy of my enemy is my friend...?

This a$$hat had a foundation 100 times more corrupted that livestrong could ever be considered, tried like hell to threaten his way back on the team you love to hate and only after being so out of shape and spoiled by drugs scandal that not even RadioShack would take him... He goes for the money as a whistle blower.

Man... At the point you're ready to give Floyd Landis a "came clean" pass you might have to consider that your disdain for the "someone else we know" may be pathological.:)

Floyd hasn't come clean and he's not doing this for the good of the sport. He's still "using dope" for a big pay day.

That lance is the devil doesn't mean that all his enemy's are angels... This is more like crime families fighting over a Heroin territory.

BumbleBeeDave
02-01-2013, 09:08 AM
I'm wearing my flame suit! :p

All I meant was he's a bit less of a douche than Lance!

I'd also do this event because it's close to my home, beautiful scenery, and I have some friends in town. But it's also the same weekend as the Tour de Cure up here and that's probably just a tiny bit more worthy as a charity!

BBD

spierfalls
02-01-2013, 09:15 AM

BBD

BBD Are you seriously insane? At least he did come clean? I think you need to step away from that computer of yours for a bit and get outside for some fresh air and thinking time. FLOYD LANDIS IS VERY BAD!!!!

PQJ
02-01-2013, 09:19 AM
Floyd had the courage to do what no one else before him did. He is the reason cycling is undergoing this catharsis. The sport should thank him.

spierfalls
02-01-2013, 09:19 AM

I'd also do this event because it's close to my home, beautiful scenery, and I have some friends in town. But it's also the same weekend as the Tour de Cure up here and that's probably just a tiny bit more worthy as a charity!

BBD

Bit less of a douche than Lance? How is that measured? On the douche meter that is. How could have Floyd acted any worse?

William
02-01-2013, 09:23 AM
Bit less of a douche than Lance? How is that measured? On the douche meter that is. How could have Floyd acted any worse?

About like this....

http://mrbesilly.typepad.com/.a/6a00d8341bfa6953ef01156f2e7c99970b-500wi

Floyd is almost up there in the LA red zone.

;)
William

PQJ
02-01-2013, 09:24 AM

If the meter goes from 1 to 10, Floyd's at around 2, while Lance is at around 12. Floyd could have acted worse by keeping his mouth shut.

(I have a few minutes before another meeting and am participating on this thread against my better judgment.)

BumbleBeeDave
02-01-2013, 09:24 AM
BBD Are you seriously insane? At least he did come clean? I think you need to step away from that computer of yours for a bit and get outside for some fresh air and thinking time. FLOYD LANDIS IS VERY BAD!!!!

I'm seriously insane . . . you heard it here first. :rolleyes:

Dude, they are ALL bad.

BBD

spierfalls
02-01-2013, 09:32 AM
I'm seriously insane . . . you heard it here first. :rolleyes:

Dude, they are ALL bad.

BBD

:) I knew you were insane and your right they are all bad.

tiretrax
02-01-2013, 09:33 AM
Landis only "came clean" when LA wouldn't give in to his blackmail demands for a spot on Astana. He's total scum. William's meter is properly calibrated. Since Hamilton admitted after receiving a lifetime ban for his THIRD violation, he's tied with Landis. As far as the others who admitted to Tygart in response to a 6 month ban, 2 points below Landis and Hamilton.

firerescuefin
02-01-2013, 09:35 AM
Floyd....Cheater/Liar/Fraud

Lance....+ a really bad guy

Really bad guy pretty much pegs the douche-o-meter for me, but yeah, they both score well above average on most scales.

1/2 Wheeler
02-01-2013, 10:02 AM
I would be more than happy to invite either one of them to my house for drinks, dinner and to meet my wife and kids. Would love to give them the tour of the area by bike and simply chat it up. Nothing they did had anything but positive impacts to me and mine.

I'll leave it the folks covered in water and vinegar to rate them on the Doucheary scale.

CunegoFan
02-01-2013, 10:10 AM
Landis only "came clean" when LA wouldn't give in to his blackmail demands for a spot on Astana. He's total scum. William's meter is properly calibrated. Since Hamilton admitted after receiving a lifetime ban for his THIRD violation, he's tied with Landis. As far as the others who admitted to Tygart in response to a 6 month ban, 2 points below Landis and Hamilton.

This blackmail stuff is total BS. That was Armstrong's PR spin used in an attempt to discredit Landis. The emails they released then quickly unreleased showed their PR was a smear job. The main email trail was simply Landis' friend Dr. Kay trying to negotiate a spot on RS.

Floyd attempted to get a job with Garmin but Vaughters refused. So did other teams. When Landis realized that the UCI had blackballed him, he decided that he was not willing to continue to keep omerta while getting nothing in return. By the end of 2009, Landis started investigating the ways come forward. By the Tour of California the process had been ongoing for several months. At that time much of the communication was Landis and his advisors trying to tempt people into coming along or saying something stupid. A lot of the communication attributed to Landis was not even written by him.

67-59
02-01-2013, 10:11 AM
Floyd had the courage to do what no one else before him did. He is the reason cycling is undergoing this catharsis. The sport should thank him.

Yeah. Floyd cheated, won, got caught and stripped, lied for years...and then found his "courage" when he saw the prospect of a 7-figure payout under the whistleblower law. Maybe we should make him a saint....

MattTuck
02-01-2013, 10:12 AM
"Cycling needs a diversion right now. We're hoping this will be one way to get people out riding bicycles for fun and to forget about all the drama that they're reading and watching right now," Landis added.
Indeed Floyd, indeed. Please where your Floyd Fairness Fund jersey for this gran fondo.

firerescue, haven't seen you in a while! where you been? or have I just not been reading the threads you're posting in?

CunegoFan
02-01-2013, 10:16 AM
I find it pretty funny that those who have the most bile for Landis seem to be those who excused Armstrong the most. It's like Madoff family members whinging about Bernie's underling, Frank DiPascali, for turning states evidence.

Vientomas
02-01-2013, 10:26 AM
Emails released by Radio Shack:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/team-radioshack-reveal-further-emails-from-landis

67-59
02-01-2013, 11:10 AM
I find it pretty funny that those who have the most bile for Landis seem to be those who excused Armstrong the most. It's like Madoff family members whinging about Bernie's underling, Frank DiPascali, for turning states evidence.

That might be a good analogy for someone who is still defending Armstrong, and views Landis as the reason Lance is being chased. I've jumped off that bus and concluded that Lance is a jerk who is getting what he deserves.

My view on Landis is certainly not that he's any worse than Lance, or that he should be blamed for Lance's fall. But he is no better either. Every step of the way, he acted out of nothing more than self-interest. Doping to win. Lying to try to preserve his reputation. "Coming clean" to make a 7-figure payday. And if he is being more forthcoming than Lance right now, it's only because he doesn't want to get caught in another lie, and jeopardize that big check.

Two of a kind....

malcolm
02-01-2013, 11:18 AM
The enemy of my enemy is my friend...?

This a$$hat had a foundation 100 times more corrupted that livestrong could ever be considered, tried like hell to threaten his way back on the team you love to hate and only after being so out of shape and spoiled by drugs scandal that not even RadioShack would take him... He goes for the money as a whistle blower.

Man... At the point you're ready to give Floyd Landis a "came clean" pass you might have to consider that your disdain for the "someone else we know" may be pathological.:)

Floyd hasn't come clean and he's not doing this for the good of the sport. He's still "using dope" for a big pay day.

That lance is the devil doesn't mean that all his enemy's are angels... This is more like crime families fighting over a Heroin territory.

Truer words have never been spoken. He had a foundation specifically set up to further his lie. Same as Lance just on a less grand scale and not as elegant. Can't have it both ways if one is evil they both are. He only confessed once he had no choice. Same,same.

William
02-01-2013, 11:23 AM
One can feel however you like about LA or Floyd, that is your right and it doesn't bother me one way or the other. One doesn't have to effect me personally to earn a DB status in my book. Put aside a moment that fact that LA is a cheater and a liar. He knowingly destroyed people's livelihoods (their lives) to protect his lies. In my book (= my opinion) that easily earns someone DB status.

Put aside for a moment that Floyd was a cheater and a liar. He knowingly swindled people out of their money to support his lies and fight the truth. He didn't ruthlessly go after any and everyone using the legal system and his ties to the industry like LA did. So in my book (= my opinion) Floyd is a DB as well, just not to the magnitude of LA. The fact that he is now coming clean is great, but it doesn't fully absolve him of his lying, cheating, and swindling. IMO, it puts him in a better place than LA though.

Just my $.02.

William

Tony T
02-01-2013, 11:42 AM
My view on Landis is certainly not that he's any worse than Lance, or that he should be blamed for Lance's fall.
Two of a kind....

Why the comparison?
Landis is scum.
He cheated.
He lied (under oath, and in his book).
He lied to his fans to ask for money to pay his lawyers.
The only reason he may give some of the money back is because he was ordered to do so by a Federal Judge.

CunegoFan
02-01-2013, 12:31 PM
My view on Landis is certainly not that he's any worse than Lance, or that he should be blamed for Lance's fall. But he is no better either. Every step of the way, he acted out of nothing more than self-interest. Doping to win. Lying to try to preserve his reputation. "Coming clean" to make a 7-figure payday. And if he is being more forthcoming than Lance right now, it's only because he doesn't want to get caught in another lie, and jeopardize that big check.

I think you only need to compare the Kimmage-Landis interview to the Oprah-Armstrong interview to see there is a world of difference between the two. I don't think Armstrong ever lost a single second of sleep because of guilt over lying to the public. It deeply affected Landis.

tiretrax
02-01-2013, 12:54 PM
I think you only need to compare the Kimmage-Landis interview to the Oprah-Armstrong interview to see there is a world of difference between the two. I don't think Armstrong ever lost a single second of sleep because of guilt over lying to the public. It deeply affected Landis.

He may not be as much of a sociopath as LA, but that's like comparing a serial killer with 10 victims to one with 38.

93legendti
02-01-2013, 12:57 PM
Pre-pay at your own risk...

Tony T
02-01-2013, 02:15 PM
It deeply affected Landis.

And you know this how?

67-59
02-01-2013, 04:33 PM

I have no idea whether Landis lost more sleep than Armstrong, and frankly I don't care. Even if he was "deeply affected" by the process, it doesn't change the fact that both of them cheated, won, got caught and stripped, lied to anyone who would listen...and only "confessed" when they decided it was in their best interest.

Hawker
02-01-2013, 05:21 PM
I haven't thought this through completely....but given all that has gone down, I just wouldn't be interested in riding any big event that is associated with any of these guys. Yes, I believe in forgiveness, etc.,etc. but I dunno, maybe it's just too soon? I just think in the long run all the guilty would be better off laying low for a couple of years.

However, I would show up for a Greg Lemond ride...hope he recovers from his back injury OK.

Charles M
02-01-2013, 08:36 PM

BBD

Hey I'de do it too if it were Phoenix.:banana:

But I would show up and literally tell Floyd to pay my fee and carry my water as partial payback for the money he took from me.:p