PDA

View Full Version : Dynamo Light Mount Help

svelocity
01-31-2013, 02:26 PM
I'm hoping someone knows of (or perhaps knows how/willing to make) a dynamo light attachment that solves my problem. As you can see in the photo below I have a handlebar bag and it rubs/pushes on my Schmidt Dynamo light. Plus I'd like to get the light in front of the bag and a little bit higher.

I can't use a handlebar mount as that will conflict with opening my bag. I don't really want to attach a rando/pass hunter rack because if I use this for touring I'd like to place on a true touring rack for bags.

In my mind a mount similar in construction as mine but about 2-3 inches longer and 1-2 inches taller would be perfect.

I'm hoping someone knows of a dynamo light mount like I described or perhaps someone with the skills (a frame builder) would be willing to make me one?

Thanks for your collective help! :banana:

Toddtwenty2
01-31-2013, 02:34 PM
MAP cycles makes a fender mounted option that could get your light out in front of your bag--though not higher. You would need some alloy fenders, but it's a nice-looking option. I bevlieve you drill a small hole in the fender, then it screws in. He made them for the "Randonneur Project."

Toddtwenty2
01-31-2013, 02:37 PM
Here is the full bike

JAGI410
01-31-2013, 02:41 PM
More pics of your Ogre?

http://somafab.blogspot.com/2013/01/wingmann-light-mount.html?m=1 that should work well mounted to the low rider boss.

EricEstlund
01-31-2013, 03:26 PM
If you put a slight bend in that mount it would lower and extend the position and stop the light from contacting the bag. Those lights are designed to work best at about crown height.

If you are not feeling DIY, Peter White stocks a few mounts, including some longer ones.

If you really want a custom ring, shoot me a note. Not your least expensive option, but I have some fun ideas that would work for you.

*Also- I'm not sure I would want to mount that to an SKS with Mitch's mount- way to much light bob. Maybe with an extra set of fender struts added.

svelocity
01-31-2013, 03:50 PM
MAP cycles makes a fender mounted option that could get your light out in front of your bag--though not higher. You would need some alloy fenders, but it's a nice-looking option. I bevlieve you drill a small hole in the fender, then it screws in. He made them for the "Randonneur Project."

That's a good idea! However, Eric is right and my SKS fenders wouldn't be up to the task.

More pics of your Ogre?

Good guess but it's actually a Long Haul Trucker. :)

If you put a slight bend in that mount it would lower and extend the position and stop the light from contacting the bag. Those lights are designed to work best at about crown height.

If you are not feeling DIY, Peter White stocks a few mounts, including some longer ones.

If you really want a custom ring, shoot me a note. Not your least expensive option, but I have some fun ideas that would work for you.

*Also- I'm not sure I would want to mount that to an SKS with Mitch's mount- way to much light bob. Maybe with an extra set of fender struts added.
Yes, you are right about bending it down to stop the rubbing. That's a good solution for the rubbing (something I'll do in the short term) but I'd like to get it a bit forward and higher too. A lot of good light that could be illuminating the ground is illuminating my beautiful plastic fenders *sarcasm*. It cast quite a shadow right in front of the wheel.

I've looked at the Peter White site and only one I see that will work with the Schmidt is this...see below...maybe I could make that work. I'd have to tinker with the brake straddle cable. No big deal but...

Anyhow, I think I will send you a message soon. Gonna tinker around a bit and see what I come up with...

Thanks and best!

modernfuturist
01-31-2013, 03:59 PM
Another interesting option from Ocean Air Cycles (http://oceanaircycles.com/2013/01/07/eureka-moment/):

http://oceanaircycles.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/1.7-HardwareLight-1110068-1024x768.jpg

Peter P.
01-31-2013, 06:57 PM
An undesired consequence of using a longer headlamp mount will be the loss of rigidity-the lamp will likely jiggle on rough surfaces so your headlamp beam will bounce around. Making a longer mount stiff enough to eliminate the jitter might be unnecessarily bulky or heavy.

I'm sure you like the bag but I think unfortunately your best solution, if the headlamp is your priority, is to get a different bag or relocate the existing bag to the rear.

cardinal
01-31-2013, 07:01 PM
This is the way we usually do it. Adds an extra fender strut, and centers the light. You can also do some neat-o internal routing to hide those unsightly wires.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5115/7143228533_823e7472c6_b.jpg

shoot an email to info@signalcycles.com for more info if you are interested.

roydyates
01-31-2013, 08:04 PM
The general consensus is that lower is better. Frankly, i can't tell the diff, but i remember jan heine saying so. seriously saab2000 posted a link to a site that addressed this:

http://swhs.home.xs4all.nl/fiets/tests/verlichting/index_en.html#lamphoogte

Why not try the horizontal post mount off of the wheel skewer that peter white sells?

monkeybanana86
02-01-2013, 02:19 AM
I would just turn that thing to the 3 o'clock position :)