PDA

View Full Version : Do disc (BB7s) always squeal in the rain?

bingomck
01-31-2013, 12:15 AM
I have some BB7s on my Salsa Vaya. Great brakes, generally silent and powerful in the dry, but when it rains, they are LOUD. Like REALLY loud. I've had plenty of squealing cantis, but I really notice this a lot more. It almost affects my willingness to brake....

Anyone noticed the same, have any suggestions/fixes?

Louis
01-31-2013, 12:34 AM
Have you tried cleaning the rotors with rubbing alcohol (on a rag)? I've heard that that works for dry-squeal disc brakes. Not sure about wet.

Did you recently get oil on the rotors? That can be the cause.

4Rings6Stars
01-31-2013, 12:34 AM
I have some BB7s on my Salsa Vaya. Great brakes, generally silent and powerful in the dry, but when it rains, they are LOUD. Like REALLY loud. I've had plenty of squealing cantis, but I really notice this a lot more. It almost affects my willingness to brake....

Anyone noticed the same, have any suggestions/fixes?

I am running BB7 road calipers with stock pads and rotors and the make some noise when wet but more of a quiet high pitch squeak. Defintely there but not the screaming I get from cantis.

I'm curious to see other responses, I am planning to upgrade/replace pads soon and would like to quiet them down if possible.

gendo
01-31-2013, 12:38 AM
wear faster but squeal less

gdw
01-31-2013, 12:50 AM
+1 on the organic pads. What model rotors are you using?

cp43
01-31-2013, 07:42 AM
Mine squeal incredibly loudly. I ride past a lumbar mill on my way to work, and all the guys there looked at me yesterday morning as I was braking to take a turn, the mill was running.

I'm running some Avid rotors, not the stock ones, and they're better in the dry, but really loud in the wet. I have a Hayes rotor that I used last year, which I don't remember squealing too much. I haven't switched it back yet to verify that though.

Chris

tuscanyswe
01-31-2013, 07:59 AM
Mine always squealed no matter what i did. Was annoying as ppl in the city heard you coming and then started moving in strange ways instead of just continue their projected path. Not a good thing..

Dave B
01-31-2013, 08:02 AM
All Avid pads and rotors squeal. It is one of their most frequent cons. The brakes work, but everyone knows when they are working.

Entire line of disc brakes is that way atmo.

bingomck
01-31-2013, 10:54 AM
Thanks for replies guys. Using standard Shimano rotors, I think. Maybe STX level?

But disheartening to see so many with same issue! I agree, peds, bikes and even cars move strangely in response to hearing the squeal.

I am curious about organic pads. I will also try cleaning with rubbing alcohol.

Any other suggestions are welcome, seems I'm not the only one.

David Kirk
01-31-2013, 11:18 AM
The rotors that come with the BB-7's are a one piece steel deal that tends to set up a resonance and noise. I tried the Avid rotors that are two piece with the alloy spider and steel ring and they are quiet 99.9% of the time with a very rare squeak when wet that lasts for a second and then is gone.

My 2 cents -

dave

Crackerkorean
01-31-2013, 11:25 AM
I have had the same problem at times.
Did they always do this? One thing I found that helps some is the take a file to the edges of the openings on the rotor (on the braking surface) to smooth the lip out. It smooths the tradition from braking surface to cut out and sometimes quiets things down. YMMV

Bostic
01-31-2013, 11:27 AM
I have the HSX two piece rotors on my Volagi. They squeal in the rain with metal or organic pads. I think they were louder with the metal pads.

cosmonaut
01-31-2013, 12:10 PM
I use stock BB7s and they squeal so loudly (mostly in the wet, but also dry) that I don't like using my CX bike. I'll try the alcohol on the rotors thing.

cogclog
02-04-2013, 05:31 AM
Do both brakes squeal? Were they properly burnished when you got the bike?

TimD
02-04-2013, 08:41 AM
BB7s with stock pads and Shimano M97 rotors. These are 2-pc centerlock rotors with a cast spider.

Also on a Salsa Vaya FWIW.

We were out yesterday in the snow and slush. After about an hour mine started to squeak and groan like crazy. I don't recall that happening before. I think the pads are new but I also think I bed them in per the instructions.

I'll try cleaning the rotors and let you know whether that makes a difference.

bingomck
02-04-2013, 11:15 AM
I use stock BB7s and they squeal so loudly (mostly in the wet, but also dry) that I don't like using my CX bike.

This.

Kills me. The brakes definitely stop better in the wet, but at a highly annoying price.

Thanks for all the replies. Curious if anyone has any good fixes. Do MTB hydraulic, say XT, have same issue?

David Kirk
02-04-2013, 11:20 AM
I would reiterate that if possible that people try the other two piece rotor. I had noise up front on two different bikes and on a whim tried the two piece and it was gone - wet or dry - quiet.

I think the long flexible 'spokes' of the one piece flex and set up a resonance. I could get it to happen in the work stand and you could feel it with your hand on the rotor. But the two piece is more rigid and therefore quiet.

Dave

bingomck
02-04-2013, 11:23 AM
Dave, sorry to be dense, but could you link me to the exact item you're referring to? Is it an upgrade to the existing BB7 or a new brake entirely? Thanks.

David Kirk
02-04-2013, 11:32 AM
Dave, sorry to be dense, but could you link me to the exact item you're referring to? Is it an upgrade to the existing BB7 or a new brake entirely? Thanks.

No worries.

There are others of this type but this is the one I tried and had good luck with. This and the organic pads have proven to be a quiet combo. Avid calls this the HSX rotor.

Dave

GRAVELBIKE
02-04-2013, 11:42 AM
This stuff works well, IME:

http://www.gravelbike.com/?p=1177

rice rocket
02-04-2013, 11:54 AM
This stuff works well, IME:

http://www.gravelbike.com/?p=1177

I'd be curious to see the MSDS on that, I'm not one to apply things to my brakes willy nilly.

I know for cars, squealing is solved by dampening the piston and pad backing plate interface (whether with grease or with shims), NOT the pad face/rotor interface.

Edit: A few reviews say there's a noted loss in braking power, did you experience anything similar Gravelbike?

GRAVELBIKE
02-04-2013, 01:49 PM
I'd be curious to see the MSDS on that, I'm not one to apply things to my brakes willy nilly.

I know for cars, squealing is solved by dampening the piston and pad backing plate interface (whether with grease or with shims), NOT the pad face/rotor interface.

Edit: A few reviews say there's a noted loss in braking power, did you experience anything similar Gravelbike?

Yes, it takes some additional bedding-in before the brakes return to their pre-treatment power.