PDA

View Full Version : OT: if Banjos are cool, is Calvin Coolidge?

572cv
01-30-2013, 08:32 PM
I've recently finished a nice biography of Calvin Coolidge, a sensible Vermonter, and incidently, one of our Presidents. He had a lot more going on than people might realize. For example, he was the first President to deliver a speech at a (then) black university, a commencement address at Howard U. But he was also pretty funny, in a dry New England way. Here's the Coolidge haircut story:

This is the story of Calvin Coolidge and the haircut. After retiring, Coolidge was getting a haircut at his barbershop. The only other customer in the establishment was his Northampton doctor. Nothing was said between the two men until the doctor asked, "Mr. President, are you still taking the pills I prescribed for you?" Coolidge replied, "Yes." The doctor was done first, paid, and left. Soon thereafter, Coolidge stood up and was about to walk out the door without paying. The barber said, "Mr. President, I think that you have forgotten to pay for your haircut." "Oh yes," Coolidge replied, "I was so busy talking with the doctor that I must have forgot."

There have been a number of Coolidge books of late. Anyone have any Coolidge stories? Did he favor bicycles?

cash05458
01-30-2013, 08:37 PM
yeah...but what about Chester A. Arthur? Now that guy could kick ass...:banana:

Bob Ross
01-31-2013, 06:28 AM
"Oh yes," Coolidge replied, "I was so busy talking with the doctor that I must have forgot."

LOL! Great story. Reminds me of this:

In the summer of 1927, Coolidge traveled to the Black Hills of South Dakota. During his vacation, Coolidge issued a short statement indicating that he would not seek a second full term as president. The statement read: "I do not choose to run for President in 1928.”

Concise dude.