PDA

View Full Version : Campy Veloce vs. Centaur

SolidSnake03
01-30-2013, 06:31 PM
Hey Everyone,

So I'm wondering if any of those very familiar with Campy could give me some insight on this decision. Basically, I'm thinking of building a maximum bang for your buck road bike. I have always loved the standard geometry/straight tubes of Cannondale so I'm thinking of using a used Caad9 or 10 frame and then building it up as cheaply as possible. At the same time however, I don't want to sacrifice quality too much.

I have done a bit of thinking and after riding SRAM for a few years I would like to give something new a try so why not Campy? I don't have any extra wheelsets aside from the ones currently on my bike so that is not a consideration. Also, I have ridden Shimano before and just wasn't a huge fan, it worked fine but didn't like the feel of the hoods or level throw. The new Campy hoods on the other hand fit my smallish hands wonderfully, they really felt awesome on a few bikes I got to feel/examine at my local shop.

Anyhow, I'm wondering what/how big the difference in performance is between Veloce and Centaur for 2013. The weight really isn't a big concern and neither are looks or names. I simply want the best bang for my buck. I'm looking at the group sets online and it looks like Centaur is about ~$120-$150 more than Veloce.

So what do you guys think? Veloce fit my idea for a build better or is Centaur really worth the extra coin?

Ralph
01-30-2013, 06:51 PM
I would do the Centaur, actually I ride Centaur on my bikes. New style hoods, etc. One Power is TQ and one is Ultra shift....like them both. Each has an advantage over the other.

But not sure I can make the case to do so. I believe they both work the same. Parts pretty much the same. Centaur a little higher level here and there, but nothing that affects performance.

Actually.....if doing now, would do silver Athena.

AngryScientist
01-30-2013, 07:05 PM
I would do the Centaur, actually I ride Centaur on my bikes. New style hoods, etc. One Power is TQ and one is Ultra shift....like them both. Each has an advantage over the other.

But not sure I can make the case to do so. I believe they both work the same. Parts pretty much the same. Centaur a little higher level here and there, but nothing that affects performance.

Actually.....if doing now, would do silver Athena.

sorry Ralph, most of this is wrong.

Current generation Veloce and Centaur are both PowerTorque on the cranksets, and PowerShift on the shifters. one downshift per thumb click.

both the new hood shape, and both 10-speed. Athena is 11-speed.

what would i do - centaur shifters, veloce everywhere else. as a matter of fact, that's essentially how my Colorado is set up, Centaur power shift shifters, veloce FD+RD. Other crankset, for silver goodness. The centaur levers do have a better feel to them than the Veloce, i have both.

Works great.

tuscanyswe
01-30-2013, 07:10 PM
Veloce levers feels cheap imo. Centaur feels great. My reference is from before 11s so this might have changed. Veloce still works proper just lacks that quality feel.

Fishbike
01-30-2013, 07:15 PM
AngryS is correct about the current configurations of Veloce and Centaur. I have both too and I have to be honest I can't tell the difference. Veloce just works. I usually have chosen Veloce because I wanted silver parts. But the black Veloce and Centaur look almost identical. ANgryS' suggestion may be a good compromise. But you should have NO hestitation with Veloce and in my opinion it is a great bang for the buck.

Ralph
01-30-2013, 07:36 PM
sorry Ralph, most of this is wrong.

Current generation Veloce and Centaur are both PowerTorque on the cranksets, and PowerShift on the shifters. one downshift per thumb click.

both the new hood shape, and both 10-speed. Athena is 11-speed.

what would i do - centaur shifters, veloce everywhere else. as a matter of fact, that's essentially how my Colorado is set up, Centaur power shift shifters, veloce FD+RD. Other crankset, for silver goodness. The centaur levers do have a better feel to them than the Veloce, i have both.

Works great.

Wrong?.....I have 2 Centaur groups. Both new hood style. One is Power TQ and one is 2010 Ultrashift. In case he wondered, I don't think the differences between Power TQ and Ultra Shift is a big deal. I wasn't sure if he was insisting on new, so I stated both types of recent new hood style Centaur. I know new Athena is 11, but hoods are Power TQ, same as Centaur. I agree.....Veloce fine.

AngryScientist
01-30-2013, 07:49 PM
Wrong?.....I have 2 Centaur groups.

Ralph, I misunderstood your first post. I see what you were saying now. my mistake. I think we're both in agreement. :beer:

oliver1850
01-30-2013, 08:16 PM
I built a Terraplane with mostly current Veloce. I did use Centaur shifters just because they were available cheaper than Veloce. My advise is to find the best deals on the individual components, and see how the total compares to buying a complete group. I don't think there's any functional difference in the current parts. The Veloce front derailleur is the only one in the line that remains the old 10 speed style, with the interchangeable mount. The Centaur may be a bit stiffer, but you can no longer change the mount. That's the biggest difference I can think of.

thirdgenbird
01-30-2013, 08:19 PM
They seem pretty similar to me. If it were me I would use centaur if I wanted black and veloce if silver was needed.

Edit: yes, veloce is as avalible in black, but to me, the new FD, newer RD pulley cage, and cassette are worth the small price increase. (Not that you would really notice)

SolidSnake03
01-30-2013, 09:03 PM
Thanks for the great points everyone, Centaur seems to be appealing a bit more to me actually. Think I might go that route, at least with the shifters maybe...

FlashUNC
01-30-2013, 09:07 PM
Fwiw, the biggest difference generally between Centaur and Veloce is the finish on the chainrings. Blind folded I doubt you'd notice a functional difference.

I say all Veloce and call it a day.

thirdgenbird
01-30-2013, 10:23 PM
Fwiw, the biggest difference generally between Centaur and Veloce is the finish on the chainrings. Blind folded I doubt you'd notice a functional difference.

I say all Veloce and call it a day.

I forgot about the chainrings. When you break it all down, centaur does have some very worthy upgrades. I would still ride veloce though.

shinomaster
04-13-2013, 06:47 PM
AngryS is correct about the current configurations of Veloce and Centaur. I have both too and I have to be honest I can't tell the difference. Veloce just works. I usually have chosen Veloce because I wanted silver parts. But the black Veloce and Centaur look almost identical. ANgryS' suggestion may be a good compromise. But you should have NO hestitation with Veloce and in my opinion it is a great bang for the buck.

So, I've been doing some looking at these two groups hence the resurrection of this thread. Are people still liking their Veloce bits? I ask because I'm buying parts for my girlfriend who just scored a super sale Trek Pilot frame for commuting with Panniers.

Fwiw, I put together a group for my dads bike restoration two years ago with Veloce shifters but with Centaur derailleurs. He loved, it but then totaled the bike when someone pulled out in front of him.. so I'm not sure how long it would have stayed adjusted/lasted etc. See photo. He was so bummed. I chatted with a Campy rep before I bought his parts who said the Powershift shifter guts were identical to keep assembly line costs down. Not sure about derailleurs though.

:banana:

FlashUNC
04-13-2013, 08:13 PM
I think for the money, Veloce is pretty tough to beat. Though I don't care for some of their new red accents in the Veloce/Centaur 10 speed range. (Red chainring bolts on a black crank, for example. Ugh.)

oliver1850
04-13-2013, 09:09 PM
I'm not aware of any difference in the guts of the Powershift levers, only the paddle and brake blade vary as far as I know. If Peter doesn't comment, download the parts catalog and compare the part numbers.

In 2011 (newest print catalog I have), there was a total of 6 grams difference in the published weight of Veloce vs. Centaur (aluminum) Ergo levers and derailleurs. I'll bet they picked the heaviest Veloce and lightest Centaur parts in the bins just to get that much. That's 6 grams for 4 parts, and I think the difference in performance will be about as great.

oldpotatoe
04-14-2013, 07:52 AM
I'm not aware of any difference in the guts of the Powershift levers, only the paddle and brake blade vary as far as I know. If Peter doesn't comment, download the parts catalog and compare the part numbers.

In 2011 (newest print catalog I have), there was a total of 6 grams difference in the published weight of Veloce vs. Centaur (aluminum) Ergo levers and derailleurs. I'll bet they picked the heaviest Veloce and lightest Centaur parts in the bins just to get that much. That's 6 grams for 4 parts, and I think the difference in performance will be about as great.

The groups except for CR differences and graphics, are the same. Shift guts, pulleys, barrel adjusters, etc..all the same. No reason to get Centaur unless you like finish. Both available in triple for 2013, BTW.

shinomaster
04-14-2013, 01:02 PM
The groups except for CR differences and graphics, are the same. Shift guts, pulleys, barrel adjusters, etc..all the same. No reason to get Centaur unless you like finish. Both available in triple for 2013, BTW.

What is a CR difference?

Ahneida Ride
04-14-2013, 01:41 PM
What about TRIM on the FD ????

My 2002 Record FD has plenty of TRIM.
It is not so Indexed ...... as Ultegra ..
At what price point in Campy does one acquire trim noways?

This allow me to run a TA crank with non-standard rings.

I like TRIM in a FD.

oldpotatoe
04-14-2013, 02:18 PM
What is a CR difference?

Chain Ring

oldpotatoe
04-14-2013, 02:18 PM
What about TRIM on the FD ????

My 2002 Record FD has plenty of TRIM.
It is not so Indexed ...... as Ultegra ..
At what price point in Campy does one acquire trim noways?

This allow me to run a TA crank with non-standard rings.

I like TRIM in a FD.

Chorus or above is the multi trim FD cutoff.

oliver1850
04-14-2013, 03:15 PM
Chorus or above is the multi trim FD cutoff.

Unless you know someone who's hoarded Ultrashift 10 levers.....

shinomaster
04-14-2013, 03:26 PM
Chain Ring

They were the same until this year? Are the 2013 centaur stamped or machined?

Ralph
04-14-2013, 03:56 PM
I know we'll all programed to want to trim the FD occasionally, myself included.
I have Centaur Powershift levers on one of my bikes.....and after I got it figured out how to set it up, I never need to trim it. Can run the whole big ring over 10 cogs in rear, and 9 of 10 on small chainring....and never need to touch the FD. And I like how it slams the down shift better than another bike of mine with US. I adjust where FD sits over chainrings with limit screws AND head tube cable adjusters to have a tight cable. You got 3 clicks to make it happen... both ways. It's different than friction or US levers....more like Shimano.

But do admit....not sure how they will work with a triple FD. Imagine same way. Limit screws and cable adjusters taking all slack out to put the FD where you want it. For sure no after market wider rings will work well. Push the buttom and "slam" and hope the FD is where you want it for triple. Must work....they're selling triples with it.

oldpotatoe
04-15-2013, 07:32 AM
Unless you know someone who's hoarded Ultrashift 10 levers.....

I do have a set of 2010 Veloce 10s Ultrashift levers...for sale.

Same guts as SR/Record/Chorus just with a 10s 'disc' and front toothed bushing instead of 11s. Clickier too.

nm87710
04-15-2013, 08:51 PM
Both are good

shinomaster
04-15-2013, 09:59 PM
Aren't the new Centaur shift levers the same as on the Veloce? I know back in 09 there was a difference.

JMT
04-16-2013, 02:07 AM
I ran 2011 Veloce on my racing bike last year, it shifted very well and didn't need much tuning once set up and the brakes had a lot of stopping power (especially with Kool Stop pads) and decent modulation. The rear brake also had 1 or 2 extra milimeters of clearance compared to a 2009 centaur brake, which was nice running 25 mm tires on wet days.
I can't really see any reason to spend extra on centaur.

shinomaster
04-16-2013, 01:41 PM
I ran 2011 Veloce on my racing bike last year, it shifted very well and didn't need much tuning once set up and the brakes had a lot of stopping power (especially with Kool Stop pads) and decent modulation. The rear brake also had 1 or 2 extra milimeters of clearance compared to a 2009 centaur brake, which was nice running 25 mm tires on wet days.
I can't really see any reason to spend extra on centaur.

Good info! Thanks.:banana:

mtechnica
04-16-2013, 02:32 PM
You can (and should) use a shimano FD, crankset, and brakes with veloce levers and RD for a significantly better group.

danield
04-16-2013, 05:30 PM
I've used both (and only the newest, PowerTorque/PowerShift versions). No discernible difference between the two. I like the Centaur carbon crank (which can be found for ridiciously cheap with a little hunting) for weight savings, everything else Veloce. The levers feel identical to me (though Veloce levers have a lower listed weight). The brakes in both groups are a little inelegant looking, but work very well. The silver Veloce is pretty sharp looking.

oldpotatoe
04-17-2013, 08:11 AM
You can (and should) use a shimano FD, crankset, and brakes with veloce levers and RD for a significantly better group.

??

chengher87
04-17-2013, 08:25 AM
I know this adds nothing to the thread, but I always get a chuckle when talking about the Veloce gruppo because it reminds me of Elizabeth Berkeley pronouncng Versace wrong in "Showgirls".

bontie
04-18-2013, 12:07 AM
I haven't read all the posts, but I have a mixed centaur group on one of my bikes. I have used a Veloce casette once or twice. If the casettes are anything to go by there is a distinct difference in the quality. The veloce casette seemed really low budget with hard plastic spacers and the machining seemed rough, centaur casettes have the quality feel that I have become to expect from Campagnolo.

Having said that, the new centaur doesn't have skeleton brakes anymore, nor are the cranks ultra torque...but centaur is still much nicer than veloce.