PDA

View Full Version : Ellis Strada Fango (NAHBS Sneak Peak)

Dave Wages
01-30-2013, 03:50 PM
The Strada Fango is going to be one of my display bikes at the upcoming NAHBS. I hesitate to call it a cross bike, but that's probably the closest thing that it resembles, it's built to accommodate 29 x 2.0 tires for more adventurous rides and it also features disc brakes and internal wiring for Di2 controls. I'm looking forward to doing a number of gravel road and mixed terrain ride/races with it this upcoming season, and it'll even accept racks if I want to take off on a long weekend tour! I've only got build pics as of now, but it's currently at paint, I'll post more when it's finished and built for those of you who can't make it to NAHBS.

More pics and explanation here; Ellis Cycles Picasa (https://picasaweb.google.com/100571970155704443343/EllisStradaFango#)

rnhood
01-30-2013, 05:29 PM
I was up in WV a few weeks ago with family riding my mtb but, since it was wet and leaves were thick on the trails I had to stick mostly to the roads - paved and gravel with none in great shape (typical WV roads in the winter).

My mtb did fine and I was thinking that using a 29 tire on a cross type frame would be a really good idea since a rear suspension was not needed. The wider 29 tires can be run will low pressure which means good traction and when its 30-40 degrees and wet...or dry. That Strada Fango bike will be perfect for this type environment and conditions. The slight extra rubber rubber on the road takes the edge off worrying about what you might be running into on these unpredictable roads and pathways. The 29 tires are mature and there are some very good ones out there.

Dave Wages
01-30-2013, 05:36 PM
I agree, the other nice thing with the 29'er wheels is that I'll be running the tires tubeless most of the time, which saves some rotating weight, and I was amazed to find that Schwalbe Furious Fred 2.0's only weigh in at 360grams! I'll see how they hold up long term, but at that weight I could see running them even when I don't need a really wide tire. Just for giggles, I also mounted up a Grand Bois 32c tire on my Stan's rims, and they popped on and held air fine, so I think they're another interesting option for smoother roads. I've heard that Peter Weigle is running his 650b Grand Bois' tubeless and he raves about how smooth the ride is.

Dave Wages
02-11-2013, 07:11 PM
The Strada Fango got a nice coat of Candy Yellow and now it's ready to build, should have some more pics later in the week. If you're going to NAHBS, definitely stop by and take a look.

Cheers,
Dave

Wilkinson4
02-11-2013, 11:12 PM
Dave, tell us about that right chainstay and the design considerations behind it. I see mention of asymmetrical but I am curious why.

mIKE

Dave Wages
02-12-2013, 10:24 AM
Dave, tell us about that right chainstay and the design considerations behind it. I see mention of asymmetrical but I am curious why.

mIKE

Yeah, most folks who see that think I'm ripping off some 90's Schwinn mountain bikes, but it's actually a bit more complicated. I've been running Di2 on several of my bikes over the last couple years, and while preparing for a gravel road ride last year I tried to swap my XTR crank over onto my rando bike for some super low gearing. What I found was that I couldn't lower the front derailleur far enough without the bottom tip of the derailleur cage hitting the chainstay. So, when I mocked this bike up, and played around with bending the stay in order to give me that extra clearance, now I can easily run a 44 x 30 crank, have the FD positioned correctly, and the added benefit, (and I think the reason Schwinn did this), is reduced chain slap.

Cheers,
Dave

Wilkinson4
02-12-2013, 09:28 PM
Wow, can't wait to see that! Sounds well thought out. Curious if it affects the ride in anyway. Ride reports this summer please:D

mIKE

Dave Wages
02-13-2013, 09:18 AM
I'm looking forward to showing it off, but more importantly riding the heck out of it once NAHBS is over!

As for the curved chainstay affecting the ride, I doubt that it'll be at all noticeable, but I'll let you know.

Dave

jr59
02-13-2013, 12:25 PM
Hmmm....Just my size!!!:banana:

Dave Wages
02-13-2013, 05:49 PM
I finished building the Strada Fango up yesterday at Ben's Cycles in Milwaukee (http://www.benscycle.net/).

They were nice enough to snap some pics and post them up on their blog today, here's a couple to tide everyone over until NAHBS!

Cheers,
Dave

Kirk Pacenti
02-14-2013, 12:07 PM
Fantastic looking bike Dave, love the color, great job!

William
02-14-2013, 12:43 PM
That is super sharp Dave!!:cool:

William

rwsaunders
02-14-2013, 03:27 PM
Awesome bike Dave...great lines, build and color.

senorblastico
02-14-2013, 08:30 PM
Wow, that's dreamy... God, I love cross bikes with huge clearance

1/2 Wheeler
02-15-2013, 01:38 PM
Another "Best in Show"

d_douglas
02-15-2013, 11:22 PM
that is stunning. STUNNING!!!!

BumbleBeeDave
02-16-2013, 02:09 PM
. . . over to D2R2 this year! :banana:

BBD

Dave Wages
02-16-2013, 03:18 PM
. . . over to D2R2 this year! :banana:

BBD

Yeah, I made it in 2010 and 2011, and I was all signed up (plane tickets and everything) for last year when I hurt my leg about 2 weeks before the ride. I'm planning on being there this year though!

Dave

ShoMyOFace
02-16-2013, 05:26 PM
Nice

firerescuefin
02-16-2013, 05:53 PM
Hey Dave I saw one of your showbikes over at Creekside today .looked awesome. look forward to meeting at the show

Dave Wages
02-16-2013, 08:52 PM
Hey Dave I saw one of your showbikes over at Creekside today .looked awesome. look forward to meeting at the show

Likewise! It's always nice to put a face and "real" name with all the screen names.

tigoat
02-17-2013, 07:03 AM
I would buy one! Too nice!:banana:

jbay
02-21-2013, 03:58 PM
Hi Dave,

That's a terrific looking bike!

I have a quick question: Are you using XTR cranks because of gearing preferences or in order for the cranks to clear the chainstays with 700x50/29x2 tyres? Your Picasa pictures do show a Sugino OX601D crank too, I think, but I thought I would ask.

Thanks,
John

Dave Wages
02-21-2013, 08:28 PM
Hi Dave,

That's a terrific looking bike!

I have a quick question: Are you using XTR cranks because of gearing preferences or in order for the cranks to clear the chainstays with 700x50/29x2 tyres? Your Picasa pictures do show a Sugino OX601D crank too, I think, but I thought I would ask.

Thanks,
John

John,

I went with the XTR cranks for a couple reasons, first, they look super cool, and it's set up with 44 x 30 rings for offroad riding. The bike also has clearance for a road crank, so for smoother, flatter rides, I'll probably run a Dura Ace compact. I do really like that Sugino OX601D, but the silver finish just didn't look right with this bike (I know, I'm vain), that crank made it's way onto another show bike.

Cheers,
Dave

jbay
02-21-2013, 09:32 PM
I went with the XTR cranks for a couple reasons, first, they look super cool, and it's set up with 44 x 30 rings for offroad riding. The bike also has clearance for a road crank, so for smoother, flatter rides, I'll probably run a Dura Ace compact. I do really like that Sugino OX601D, but the silver finish just didn't look right with this bike (I know, I'm vain), that crank made it's way onto another show bike.That bike deserves a sharp looking crank and I think you chose well. Thanks for the details.

-- John

pakora
02-22-2013, 03:06 PM
For sure, it looks lean and muscular with the new XTRs and the purposes of the best. Nice.

eBAUMANN
02-22-2013, 03:37 PM
man, congratulations on this one dave! this is one of the more progressive/interesting bikes I have seen in the teaser madness of pre-nahbs, well done!