PDA

View Full Version : Who makes the best cycling socks?

veggieburger
01-29-2013, 03:43 PM
I have a pair of Defeet socks from 7 or 8 years ago that I'm still using, and they look great. However, recent Defeet purchases have self-destructed, most of them unravelling at the hem. Bah.

Santini used to make a really great sock too, lasted forever.

Any recommendations on a standard (non-cold weather) sock?

PQJ
01-29-2013, 03:50 PM
For anything but really cold rides, I'm a fan of Swiftwick compression socks. For really cold rides, woolie boolies it is. If I had the means, I'd give Assos socks a whirl, just because; one day.

cp43
01-29-2013, 03:54 PM
I really like Darn Tough socks. I have a couple styles from them, and have been very happy.

http://www.darntough.com/

Chris

veggieburger
01-29-2013, 03:55 PM
Uh yeah, should have put a caveat on that - good socks around $15 or so. I'm sure Assos and Rapha (?) make some fine socks, but I can't justify putting my ugly toes in a $40 sock.

christian
01-29-2013, 03:55 PM
Wool: Swiftwick
Syn: Capo

veggieburger
01-29-2013, 03:56 PM
I really like Darn Tough socks. I have a couple styles from them, and have been very happy.

Chris

Lifetime guarantee? Not bad!

gdw
01-29-2013, 03:58 PM
Another vote for Darn Tough.

dekindy
01-29-2013, 04:02 PM
sockguy.com

MattTuck
01-29-2013, 04:06 PM
I'd throw my SmartWool PhD Outdoor Ultra Light Micro socks into the ring, but they're 15.95 I think... Definitely not a cold weather sock, but I like them when it's warmer (ie. they're the first choice out of the laundry).

If you're going for pure longevity / $. I'm not sure you could beat the Defeet Aerator socks. My sister got me a bunch of random pairs probably 6 years ago, and I've been using most of them since. They seemed to last pretty long. But they all have advertising or logos for random stores and events. I don't know where she got them, but I know it was for cheap.

MattTuck
01-29-2013, 04:09 PM
sockguy.com

I think this may have been the place she got them... it sounds familiar.

Wow... can you imagine having socks that match your bike? I remember seeing a Kirk with this same color scheme.

http://www.sockguy.com/ProductInfo/LUCKYX.aspx

http://www.sockguy.com/images/products/Lucky13.jpg

http://www.kirkframeworks.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/DSC_9235.jpg

93legendti
01-29-2013, 04:13 PM
I'd throw my SmartWool PhD Outdoor Ultra Light Micro socks into the ring, but they're 15.95 I think... Definitely not a cold weather sock, but I like them when it's warmer (ie. they're the first choice out of the laundry).

If you're going for pure longevity / $. I'm not sure you could beat the Defeet Aerator socks. My sister got me a bunch of random pairs probably 6 years ago, and I've been using most of them since. They seemed to last pretty long. But they all have advertising or logos for random stores and events. I don't know where she got them, but I know it was for cheap.

Agrees 100%

yoshirider
01-29-2013, 04:17 PM
Have you guys had issues with Darn Tough? I purchased a pair a few months ago and I've only worn them maybe 10 times and I lay them out to dry every time, but I just recently found a hole in them :(

gdw
01-29-2013, 04:24 PM
No problems with Darn Tough socks here and I've been using them for a number of years. Give them a call and see if they honor their warranty, I bet they will.

rpm
01-29-2013, 04:25 PM
For warm weather, I like Castelli socks. For cold weather, I use either DeMarchi thermal socks or thin wool dress socks.

GRAVELBIKE
01-29-2013, 04:28 PM
I have some DeFeet socks that are almost 15 years old. Still going strong.

The Darn Tough socks are aptly named. Also had good luck with SwiftWick.

cp43
01-29-2013, 04:29 PM
Have you guys had issues with Darn Tough? I purchased a pair a few months ago and I've only worn them maybe 10 times and I lay them out to dry every time, but I just recently found a hole in them :(

I have a pair that's several years old that's wearing out due to use. I'd call it normal wear. I haven't had any problems like you describe.

They do have a lifetime guarantee, if you feel they're defective you can send them back. (I haven't tried to exchange any socks under the guarantee.) I don't think it would be unreasonable to say that a hole after 10 uses constitutes a defective sock.

http://www.darntough.com/lifetime-guarantee.html

Chris

bikingshearer
01-29-2013, 04:31 PM
Warm weather - basic white cotton crew socks (crew socks, not tube socks).

Cold weather - REI wool hiking socks, medium weight.

Add toe-covers or booties as needed.

Color me weird.

dustyrider
01-29-2013, 04:37 PM
Darn tough and smart wool! I thought darn tough warranties normal wear and tear too. Time re-read the warranty.....

Ralph
01-29-2013, 04:47 PM
Couldn't imagine paying over a few dollars for a 3 pack of synthetic blend/cotton socks. Usually I ride Columbia. If cool, use toe warmers.

But I don't have the cold climate to deal with like some of you.

drhule33
01-29-2013, 04:54 PM
Defeet - no problems here.

jmoore
01-29-2013, 04:57 PM
DeFeet, Sockguy and Lin are all about the same in my view. No problems with any of them.

Elefantino
01-29-2013, 05:02 PM
defeet, sockguy and lin are all about the same in my view. No problems with any of them.
+1

Bruce K
01-29-2013, 06:54 PM
Save Our Soles

Fun designs, durable, and comfortable

BK

merlincustom1
01-29-2013, 07:18 PM
Darn Tough.

ultraman6970
01-29-2013, 09:53 PM
My feet cant stand defeet for some reason... got a set of Rh+ and those rock big time, best ones I ever tried.

djg21
01-29-2013, 09:58 PM
Are my new favorites. There is something about the feel of good wool, and plain white works for me.

maxdog
01-29-2013, 10:34 PM
For most of my 30+ years of cycling, I used 'bike specific socks'. Many brands, mostly cotton, but plenty of synthetic as well. Since cotton is one of the dirtiest ag industries, I switched to Zkano, which are organic (Zkano.com), for my regular socks a couple of years ago. Plain white unbleached and about six dollars a pair. Well they are by a long shot, the most comfortable socks I've ever worn, so recently I tried using the really low cut ones for cycling. Sweeeet is an understatement. Durable and extremely comfortable. Jam those in my Sidis and my feet still feel great after a double century. Anybody want to buy some used Castellis, Capos, Descentes, etc...
I will keep my Smartwools though.

bironi
01-29-2013, 10:37 PM

Chris

+1
Great quality, made in Vermont.

veggieburger
01-29-2013, 11:04 PM
I have some DeFeet socks that are almost 15 years old. Still going strong.

The Darn Tough socks are aptly named. Also had good luck with SwiftWick.

What I'm finding is the old defeet aireators are great. The ones made in the past year or two simply don't hold up! Odd.

bart998
01-30-2013, 12:06 AM
Love my Pearl Izumi socks... never a problem.

BdaGhisallo
01-30-2013, 12:39 AM
I like thin socks in my cycling shoes. I find that Curve Boulder SL are fantastic year round. They are wool and seem to breathe very well compared to most full synthetic socks. They are very durable to boot. I have been rotating two pairs since last May and they are still going strong.

I also have the new Swiftwick Pulse lined up for a run this summer when things get hot and my feet swell. The Pulse is the thinnest cycling sock I have found to date, and I have been searching for a good long while.

I would rate the Defeet Levitator Lite a good third place sock, though there cuff is not as snug as the Curves or the Swiftwicks and they tend to creep down over the course of a ride. I don't like that so much. I like the cuff to stay put.

nopotholes
01-30-2013, 01:44 AM

Gotta agree. I have a couple pairs of their Ultra Light socks as well as a couple pairs of their winter socks and couldn't do without them. I use to rely on REI hiking socks for my night rides but they don't do so well with sweat. As for the price, wait for a sale and boom snag a few and REI has great return policy in case they start to fall apart.

Birddog
01-30-2013, 06:45 AM
I have switched over almost exclusively to Merino Wool socks and probably have about 5 to 7 different brands including Swiftwick, DeFeet Wooleator,and SockGuy and all are good. My Smartwool PHDs are my favorites though.

charliedid
01-30-2013, 07:11 AM
http://www.point6.com/collections/mens-cycling

This is Peter and Patty's new company, they are the founders of Smartwool.

Great stuff IMO

KeithNYC
01-30-2013, 08:46 AM
Rapha does.

Let the 10 minutes hate commence!

Smartwools are great too tho

FlashUNC
01-30-2013, 08:56 AM
DeFeet or Swiftwick.

Depends on the day really.

dougefresh
01-30-2013, 01:10 PM
swiftwick

Likes2ridefar
01-30-2013, 01:49 PM
Lifetime guarantee? Not bad!

I'm going to test that soon so shall see how it goes. I wear crocs at work and the rear strap has rubbed through 3 or 4 of the heavier hiking socks.

i'll report back if they fail to back up their warranty!

i like darn tough but think they are a bit heavy for cycling, but i prefer very thin socks with my road shoes.

Neves
01-30-2013, 02:16 PM
I have a pair of Defeet from the 24 hours of Canaan that are just now starting to give out. Then I switched over to the Sock Guy, but they just don't last and the new Defeets are just a little better. I have a couple pair of Swiftwick that look promising.

maunahaole
01-30-2013, 02:58 PM
Rapha does.

Let the 10 minutes hate commence!

Smartwools are great too tho

I'll start. I have a pair of rapha socks. Very nice, look cool, very thin and comfy. However, they are very fragile. I snagged them pretty bad by gently rubbing my ankle against a concrete step that I was sitting on. Pulled a thread out and de-wove them right in the middle, just like a run in a stocking.

davidj
01-30-2013, 03:01 PM
My vote: Assos and Rapha

19wisconsin64
01-30-2013, 03:05 PM
..may sound a little strange, but i've been using defeet black shoe covers made of cordura nylon as socks..... very durable, dissipates heat well, gives a little more cushioning than regular thin cycling socks, and about $15-20.

i've found them perfect for long distance rides and racing too.

try them for wintertime....you'll be surprised

Pars
01-30-2013, 03:07 PM
http://www.point6.com/collections/mens-cycling

This is Peter and Patty's new company, they are the founders of Smartwool.

Great stuff IMO

Interesting... thanks!
I usually just wear some white cotton low cut socks, but have a couple of pairs of Smartwool cycling socks (and multiple winter socks) which I like a lot, other than the color (got em off online site).

The Zanko socks mentioned above also look interesting.

scooter
01-30-2013, 03:28 PM
Bicycle Paper profiled a number of the socks that have been mentioned. Here's the article: http://bicyclepaper.com/articles/442-Product-Reviews-A-Whole-Winter-s-Worth-

cash05458
01-30-2013, 03:52 PM

Chris

Definitely, I will second or third or fourth that...I saw a few folks agreeing...if you come up to Vermont during November during hunting season they have a great sale at their factory for two weekends...I get those running/cycling socks for I think 6 for ten bucks...you can get some of their top of the line winter socks that retail for 25 or so for 6 apiece...everything is made right there in their little factory...usually the owner is there dressed up like uncle sam talking to folks...great company and socks and sure they follow up on their warranty...I only wear darn tough for anything everyday so when they wear out I stick em in a envelope and send em back...they always send me a new pair...cool company...

christian
01-30-2013, 03:52 PM
..may sound a little strangeDear sir, this sounds more than _a_little_ strange.

19wisconsin64
01-30-2013, 04:54 PM
just one more off the wall suggestion......hey, i like these better than assos, craft....other expensive socks which wear out quickly from my experience

heat-tech winter socks from Uniqlo , just a few bucks a pair, come in thick and thin, long and short versions...in black and other colors

arcadian
01-30-2013, 07:46 PM
Swiftwick are my favorites

Defeet are good

Bad luck with smart wool

DRZRM
01-30-2013, 07:55 PM
Darn Tough are my favorites, second is SmartWool. The Darn Tough guarantee is legit, if you tear them, call them up and they and they will email you a return authorization. Mail them in and they mail you back a new pair. Their Ultra-Light No Show merino is my favorite, and I think I have a pair of the CoolMax no show cushioned too.

I have bought so many pairs of SmartWools from STP over the years, most all of them are still holding up perfectly. I pretty much live in wool socks year round.

buddybikes
01-30-2013, 08:01 PM
google them, they've got leftovers of defeet and others at cheap prices, 6 packs for 17.00

572cv
01-30-2013, 08:22 PM

Chris

Darntough has become my primary sock in, ahem, all walks of life:) The cycling socks I have have been durable, comfortable and un-lumpy to coin a foot comfort related term. A good company, local to me. One weekend every fall they have a factory sock sale. The deals are stupendous, people come for miles and pack the place, for the Darn Tough Eighth Wonder of the World Sale.

tuxbailey
01-30-2013, 10:29 PM
Defeet/Sockguy for summer. Smartwool Phd for colder weather.

Actually I wear smartwool as my regular socks as well.

GRAVELBIKE
02-07-2013, 12:09 PM
Just received some point6 samples, and they're quite nice.

yakstone
02-07-2013, 12:59 PM
I prefer the Merino Wool socks from Boure in Durango, Colorado.
These have held up great for me going on year 3.

smead
02-07-2013, 01:36 PM
Warm weather - basic white cotton crew socks (crew socks, not tube socks).

Cold weather - REI wool hiking socks, medium weight.

Add toe-covers or booties as needed.

Color me weird.

+1 - 6 pack of cotton white crew socks from kmart for $3 or so ...

hainy
08-28-2013, 10:36 PM
swiftwick

Which swiftwick do you use for summer riding?

Cheers

Hainy

BdaGhisallo
08-29-2013, 06:06 AM
Which swiftwick do you use for summer riding?

Cheers

Hainy

Do your feet swell much in the heat and how tight do you like your shoes to be? The Aspire is a good one and, if you need really thin socks, the Pulse is the one to try. The Pulse is the thinnest sock I have come across so far.

The Aspire would be perfect if the toe and the heel were as thin as the body of the sock. They bolster them and the increased thickness can become an issue for me on a really hot day.