PDA

View Full Version : Recs for a decent Dynamo Hub

kohlboto
01-29-2013, 10:12 AM
My incoming DeSalvo will have provisions to run a Dynamo hub but I'm a bit clueless of where to start looking for a hub. My only criteria is I'd like the best balance between function and price...and I'm looking for a 28 hole hub since I have a spare 28 hole A23 kicking around. Any suggestions where to start or who to contact would be thoroughly appreciated.
cheers
Jay

R2D2
01-29-2013, 10:22 AM
Read up on Peter White's site. The Schmidt is top shelf. Sanyo and Shimano make some great cheaper alternatives.

fiamme red
01-29-2013, 10:26 AM
Here's an overview of the Schmidt hubs: http://janheine.wordpress.com/2012/12/13/overview-of-son-generator-hubs/

bargainguy
01-29-2013, 10:50 AM
I have the Shimano dynamo on my Brompton and love it. Alas, I don't think they make a 28, only 32 & 36.

Brompton also offers the SON dynamo, which is awesome but mucho deniero, at least twice the price of the Shimano if not more.

pbbob
01-29-2013, 10:52 AM
I have a shutter precision [sp dynamo] laced to to a 28hole rim if I remember correctly.
works great.

NHAero
01-29-2013, 01:49 PM
I have the Schmidt which works perfectly. Recent;y bought an SP off of eBay and am going to get it built up, to try the less expensive approach on another bike

kohlboto
02-03-2013, 09:55 AM
Just a quick update...
I'm going with the Shutter Precision hub and, based on a V-salon thread, I purchased it packaged with a light through Kerry at: http://www.klite.com.au/
The package price seems really good and I was very impressed with his help and patience in answering all my questions. The hub will be on its way to Echelon John for a build so I will relay some real world impressions in the near future...
Thanks for everyone's input and suggestions.

559Rando
02-04-2013, 11:12 AM
Read up on Peter White's site. The Schmidt is top shelf. Sanyo and Shimano make some great cheaper alternatives.

+1

If you want "decent" then the $50 Sanyo is hard to beat. The better Shimanos can be found around $125. The Schmidt (SON) stuff is close to $300.

Better prices can usually be found on dynamo lighting and hubs, if you'll mail order from Europe. Just watch the duty fees. Even still, the prices are generally MUCH better.

svelocity
02-04-2013, 12:58 PM
Just a quick update...
I'm going with the Shutter Precision hub and, based on a V-salon thread, I purchased it packaged with a light through Kerry at: http://www.klite.com.au/
The package price seems really good and I was very impressed with his help and patience in answering all my questions. The hub will be on its way to Echelon John for a build so I will relay some real world impressions in the near future...
Thanks for everyone's input and suggestions.

Looking forward to reading your impressions once you have it built up!

cogclog
02-04-2013, 01:20 PM
I'd also be interested in a review. We sell a fair number I Schmidt hubs at my shop but aside from shimano I haven't seen many alternatives...

saab2000
02-04-2013, 01:26 PM
Ditto the others. I'm also interested in a review of the light. I have read of stories of up to about 800 lumens but I'm skeptical. Still, kudos to the manufacturer for trying. Definitely interested in hearing about your experiences.

flydhest
02-04-2013, 04:50 PM
So ... are these a good choice for a commuter? Overkill? The commute is only 2 miles but the thought of never needing batteries/charging is very appealing.

kohlboto
02-04-2013, 05:19 PM
So ... are these a good choice for a commuter? Overkill? The commute is only 2 miles but the thought of never needing batteries/charging is very appealing.

exactly. That's why I'm trying this out.

saab2000
02-04-2013, 05:26 PM

Totally worth it if your commuter isn't a POS and you have a reasonably secure place to park it.

I have a single speed winter bike with a Shimano dynamo hub. No noticeable additional drag (it is measurable I am sure but you don't feel it on the bike) and the amount of light and focus of the beam is respectable, especially if you get a good light like Busch & Müller IQ CYO or Supernova E3 Pro or Schmidt Edelux.

Never charge a light again for your commuter. At least not the headlight. There are dynamo taillights too but they're a bit more complicated and likely not as nice as the best battery lights.

davidj
02-05-2013, 05:09 AM
Go with the Schmidt SON. Mine is an older model 28 with over 35,000 trouble free km.. Great product.

roydyates
02-05-2013, 06:39 AM
Go with the Schmidt SON. Mine is an older model 28 with over 35,000 trouble free km.. Great product.

+1
if you get the schmidt, you won't be pondering whether you ought to upgrade.