PDA

View Full Version : Boulder Bicycle Road Sport

swithouski
01-28-2013, 08:48 PM
I'm looking to see if anyone on here has ordered, ridden, had a friend ride or otherwise have any insight into boulder bicycle's new(ish) road sport frame.

The idea of stage race geo combined with light tubing and room for 32mm tires sounds very enticing...and the price seems right. I know Hampsten's Strada Bianca model is similar but much more $$$.

If you're unfamiliar here's a link: http://www.renehersebicycles.com/boulderbicyclerroadsport.htm

I'm also weary of the shorter top tube with a long stem, why is that?
Any insight helps

Cheers
Stan

GRAVELBIKE
01-28-2013, 09:48 PM
I wonder why they don't list effective top tube lengths (since they all slope).

Personally, I feel more at ease on frames with slightly stiffer tubing (like this (http://www.blackmtncycles.com/p/black-mountain-cycles-frames.html)).

Peter B
01-28-2013, 09:54 PM
Looks like the bike most folks need most of the time. Great do it all rig. The geo looks pretty normal to me. I'm not seeing the TT as particularly short, instead it looks standard for the FC they're aiming for without fenders.

swithouski
01-28-2013, 10:08 PM
@gravelbike Yes I see the slope measurement yet in the pics there's no slope, weird? I've looked at black mountain before, maybe i'll just go see them in person

@Peter Most of my frames the s-t is typically shorter than the t-t but I can see a long stem making up that difference

Wilkinson4
01-28-2013, 10:09 PM
As far as the geo... Mike K. has probably seen more french rando bikes than most anyone and has had the opportunity to measure each of their geometries from Herse, Singer, Routens, etc... Just talk to him and he will get you on what you need.

mIKE

fourflys
01-28-2013, 10:23 PM
I wouldn't hesitate for a second to buy a Boulder if that is what I was looking for...

I also own a Black Mountain MonsterCross and can tell you Mike V. knows how to design a bike... since you are in SF, you really need to pay Mike a visit... he may even have a bike to test ride...

Peter B
01-28-2013, 10:38 PM
@gravelbike Yes I see the slope measurement yet in the pics there's no slope, weird? I've looked at black mountain before, maybe i'll just go see them in person

@Peter Most of my frames the s-t is typically shorter than the t-t but I can see a long stem making up that difference

I'm seeing the ST measured C-T so subtract ~2cm for a C-C number and in the 54 it ends up being square. 2.5* slope in pretty minimal and won't add appreciably to TT length. All in all it looks like a good design, albeit traditional in tubing diameters. I'll bet it's a nice, comfy do all ride. Oh, and the price is very reasonable.

Wilkinson4
01-28-2013, 10:48 PM
And not to steer you away from a Boulder Bike, I think they are great. But in your backyard Box Dog Bikes has the Pelican being brazed up by Eric at Winter. But, it is probably more low trail rando than the sportif Boulder bike.

mIKE

swithouski
01-28-2013, 11:04 PM
^ BDB is actually my LBS and I was already planning on ordering the new Winter Pelican when my size arrives (late spring as of now). Been dead set on that frame set for a while now and love the ride. A friend has the older Banjo version.

I was looking at the Boulder to replace my Merckx Corsa. Love the old stage race geo but have have come to like a much larger tire these days. My Merckx can barely fit a 25c tire as of now. As stated in my first post, was also looking at Hampsten's Strada Bianca, but the Boulder seems right for the price. Anyone know of anyone else doing anything similar?

Wilkinson4
01-28-2013, 11:22 PM
Probably not at that price point. You can check out Jeff Lyon L’avecaise and that could be a solid option as well.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30361758@N08/7957004654/in/photostream

mIKE

Peter B
01-28-2013, 11:54 PM
Chris King is doing a very nice job with the Cielos (http://cielo.chrisking.com/) at about half again the price of the Boulder.

559Rando
01-29-2013, 12:01 AM
I'm following this with great interest. It is does look like a cool bike concept. Until funds avail themselves (or I avail myself to the funds), I'll probably just run some 28 -32mm 700C tires on a bike designed for 27" (been giving that some thought lately).

Daniel

palincss
01-29-2013, 07:07 AM
I suggest you ask this across the hall. Wm deRosset visits there, and he owns a Boulder Road Sport prototype, and was involved in its development.

oldpotatoe
01-29-2013, 07:20 AM
I'm looking to see if anyone on here has ordered, ridden, had a friend ride or otherwise have any insight into boulder bicycle's new(ish) road sport frame.

The idea of stage race geo combined with light tubing and room for 32mm tires sounds very enticing...and the price seems right. I know Hampsten's Strada Bianca model is similar but much more $$$.

If you're unfamiliar here's a link: http://www.renehersebicycles.com/boulderbicyclerroadsport.htm

I'm also weary of the shorter top tube with a long stem, why is that?
Any insight helps

Cheers
Stan

PM sent.

dauwhe
01-29-2013, 09:55 AM
Very happy with the Boulder rando bike. Very tempted by the Road Sport!

sjauch2
01-29-2013, 10:45 AM
Wow this frame looks great and is a killer price.

Ken C
01-29-2013, 11:35 AM
Another option would be a Gunnar Sport.

It may have a little more stout tubing and does have fender braze ons.

They are both made by Waterford (and priced very similar), but sylistically are pretty different.

The Boulder has a level(ish) top tube tube and a traditional style fork.

The Sport has a straight fork and a sloping top tube.

Personally I would prefer to have the option to use fenders, but you may not need it if you get the BDB and would only be using the bike without them.

I have a Sport and love it.

that guy
01-29-2013, 01:02 PM
The lack of fender eyelets is a dealbreaker. There are many nice "road bike" options for 28c tires and fenders, which is what I want for 90% of my rides.

sancruz
01-29-2013, 03:32 PM
dauwhe, can you explain what you love so much about the boulder?