PDA

View Full Version : Gaulzetti interview on BikeRumor . . .

BumbleBeeDave
01-28-2013, 08:44 PM
The Jerk speaks.

http://www.bikerumor.com/2013/01/21/road-to-nahbs-gaulzetti-cicli/#more-53673

Oh my . . . interesting reading, and the comments are also, ah, interesting . . . :eek:

BBD

Louis
01-28-2013, 08:58 PM
Oh my . . . interesting reading, and the comments are also, ah, interesting . . . :eek:

Craig's down in the mud, wrestling the pigs. You know what they say about that...

christian
01-28-2013, 09:05 PM
The pigs get dirty and Jerk likes it? :)

Louis
01-28-2013, 09:11 PM
The pigs get dirty and Jerk likes it? :)

Ha!

Maybe he does like it. In general general the bigger the company the more risk-averse they are, and the easier it is for them to look foolish in the mud pit. He may end up looking fine, but sometimes it's simpler to just take the high road and keep your mouth shut (to mix the metaphor even further).

beeatnik
01-28-2013, 09:28 PM
Some valid points are presented and his rebuttals are convincing. Does he say why he doesn't think bikes are good for general transportation or commuting? I was thinking about that today. Maybe, the dude likes trains?

FlashUNC
01-28-2013, 09:29 PM
Pretty outstanding.

Charles M
01-28-2013, 09:33 PM
Is Craig actually welding frames / building bikes now?

DarrenCT
01-28-2013, 09:36 PM
sites this these and other forums bring out all the losers. the people who don't ride bikes at all, and just like to cause ****. these are the same idiots who care more about matching bar tape then actually riding their bike.

thankfully we have internet forums where people ride, and appreciate the builders.

MattTuck
01-28-2013, 09:37 PM
Me likey!

http://brimages.bikeboardmedia.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/nahbs7-600x400.jpg

4Rings6Stars
01-28-2013, 09:49 PM
I don't race and don't particularly like aluminum bikes. I commute and have a few rando bikes...

After reading that interview and all of the comments, I really respect the guy and want a Gaulzetti. Bad. Really bad.

Spin71
01-28-2013, 10:07 PM
Is Craig actually welding frames / building bikes now?

No..

1/2 Wheeler
01-28-2013, 10:09 PM
He had to expect some grief from a puff piece like that. Especially with the Iphone self portraits added. He should have requested that they be removed.

I also think some folks have hard feelings regarding the special accommodations that allowed him to show at NAHBS.

beeatnik
01-28-2013, 10:20 PM
All press is good press or Rapha-inspired (provocateur) marketing? Don't think I've ever seen something on Bike Rumor with more than a few comments. That said, my buddy used to write for them and even the most neutral review would bring out one or two hostile individuals.

Louis
01-28-2013, 10:27 PM
The thing is, it's not as if someone is putting a gun to guys' heads when they buy a Gaulzetti (or a Serotta, or a Parlee, or whatever).

When you criticize a brand for being too expensive for what you get, you're essentially saying "I'm so much smarter than all those idiots who are buying Widget XYZ. No way would I ever buy that POS. Ha, I'm so superior."

Well, OK, good for you. Thanks for enlightening us. In the meantime, the guys who do buy the Gaulzettis / Serottas / Parlees / whatever, are riding them and having a grand old time.

GuyGadois
01-28-2013, 10:28 PM
So, if he doesn't make the frames who does? Are the outsourced overseas or made in the US by the Keebler folks? Anyone ride both a CAAD and Gualzetti? I would be interested to hear about the differences.

GG

4Rings6Stars
01-28-2013, 10:37 PM
So, if he doesn't make the frames who does? Are the outsourced overseas or made in the US by the Keebler folks? Anyone ride both a CAAD and Gualzetti? I would be interested to hear about the differences.

GG

If you have a spare 20 minutes, I would suggest reading through the comments. It was pretty entertaining and Craig responded to a lot of comments. I wouldn't have been able to keep my cool as he did, some of the comments were really nasty.

I understand why somebody wouldn't want to buy one of his frames, and I understand why somebody would think he sounds like a dick (or maybe a "jerk"), but I don't understand all the free-flowing hate people spew about him on the internet.

gdw
01-28-2013, 10:40 PM
It was a pretty lame article but the comments were entertaining. I found Walt's posts interesting especially if you know who he is and what has been accomplished on the frames he builds.

zetroc
01-28-2013, 10:45 PM
Different strokes for different folks. Buy one or don't, but if you're not gonna buy one, quit complaining.

steve

PS: I ride my brother's Corsa when he isn't looking. It's fantastic, even if the welds aren't up to some Internet commentor's standards.

Spin71
01-28-2013, 10:47 PM
I understand why somebody wouldn't want to buy one of his frames, and I understand why somebody would think he sounds like a dick (or maybe a "jerk"), but I don't understand all the free-flowing hate people spew about him on the internet.

Years of being a douche on bike forums bites you in the ass, I guess. Now that he is trying to sell his "designs" he's become more diplomatic.

4Rings6Stars
01-28-2013, 10:48 PM
Years of being a douche on bike forums bites you in the ass, I guess.

I understand that. And if people hate him for being a douche, that's fine. But bashing his frames and his business doesn't make sense to me.

Louis
01-28-2013, 10:52 PM
But bashing his frames and his business doesn't make sense to me.

I have to believe that 99% of that is because it's just so easy to take pot-shots on the Interwebs.

Spin71
01-28-2013, 10:56 PM
I understand that. And if people hate him for being a douche, that's fine. But bashing his frames and his business doesn't make sense to me.

Are you new to cycling? The web? Or both? People bash, Pegoretti, Sachs, Pinarello, Serotta, etc etc etc. I'm never shocked by it or put any stock in it.

4Rings6Stars
01-28-2013, 11:01 PM
Are you new to cycling? The web? Or both? People bash, Pegoretti, Sachs, Pinarello, Serotta, etc etc etc. I'm never shocked by it or put any stock in it.

Not new to cycling or the internet, but usually hang out on the paceline and bikeforums C&V. Usually pretty civil! I guess people here like to complain a lot about Serotta pricing, but I have never seen it so personal or so vicious.

Maybe I need to start reading Vsalon or bikerumor comments more often?

beeatnik
01-28-2013, 11:07 PM
The vicious comments are just noise, like anything else. Some of the comments (paragraph long or point by point critiques) do add to the conversation. They bring up valid issues.

Full disclosure: A Corsa is on my short list but precisely for the opposite reason Gaulzetti thinks a Pro would ride one.

tsarpepe
01-28-2013, 11:39 PM
Much of the comments in that thread are hogwash, of course, but several of the posters did hit Craig's weak spots. The biggest problem is that he does not wish to acknowledge a basic contradiction in this business:

A. He insists that he builds dedicated race bikes, supposedly for dedicated racers

B. No boutique framebuilder can survive if they only sold bikes to true racers
C. Very few people with big disposable income are true racers

B&C contradict A. His bikes are indeed thoroughbred race machines, but he is in the business because 30-, 40-, 50, and 60-year-olds with a lot of cash to burn like to own his shiny toys. Of course, if he just came out and said that these folks would be much better off on a Riv, he'd have to close shop.

Jack Brunk
01-28-2013, 11:45 PM
Craig is one of many who understands what a bike should do. Most who have posted here really should not say anything bad about a guy who has worked in the industry and understands bikes and what and how they should ride. Sorry but Darren is right. Louis, did you ever build your Kirk? Leave it alone man.

Really, Craig builds a huge bike and most here would be better riders on one.

This topic started by a mod brings this forum down.

mosca
01-28-2013, 11:58 PM
For his years of being a "jerk" on the internet, I think Craig has earned all the "crap" he's getting.

That being said, his answers were very reasonable, and his bikes look very well-designed.

Louis
01-29-2013, 12:08 AM
Most who have posted here really should not say anything bad about a guy who has worked in the industry and understands bikes and what and how they should ride.

Jack, dude, take it easy - nearly every single post on this thread is defending Craig and against the haters. What's the problem with that?

professerr
01-29-2013, 01:36 AM
Maybe I need to start reading Vsalon or bikerumor comments more often?

Nah, you won't find anything but fawning on Vsalon -- the slightest whiff of criticism of the niche it promotes will bring on thread lock/deletion faster than a soccer mom chaperoning her daughter's junior prom. I actually read 3/4 of the comments to the Gaulzetti interview -- everyone thinks most of sneering stuff that was said anyway, and I thought Gaulzetti answered with candor and maybe even some grace. No mods necessary.

rnhood
01-29-2013, 03:19 AM
His bike got a very good review from the editor of Bicycling magazine about a year ago. And his immediate focus on building a somewhat unique aero frame is commendable, and in tune with today's cycling performance venue. Most other companies are doing it and many people are buying them. I see no problem with talking straight about the intended application of a bike. I hope the business thrives..

jlwdm
01-29-2013, 05:15 AM
Years of being a douche on bike forums bites you in the ass, I guess. Now that he is trying to sell his "designs" he's become more diplomatic.

Really?

The "Jerk" is just a persona he uses on the Internet. If you have read his posts over the years and seen his reputation, you would understand he is known as one of the nicest and most helpful guys around.

I have never met him, or corresponded with him and do not have one of his frames.

Jeff

cfox
01-29-2013, 05:37 AM
Much of the comments in that thread are hogwash, of course, but several of the posters did hit Craig's weak spots. The biggest problem is that he does not wish to acknowledge a basic contradiction in this business:

A. He insists that he builds dedicated race bikes, supposedly for dedicated racers

B. No boutique framebuilder can survive if they only sold bikes to true racers
C. Very few people with big disposable income are true racers

B&C contradict A. His bikes are indeed thoroughbred race machines, but he is in the business because 30-, 40-, 50, and 60-year-olds with a lot of cash to burn like to own his shiny toys. Of course, if he just came out and said that these folks would be much better off on a Riv, he'd have to close shop.
No. He subscribes to the philosophy that if your type of cycling is a somewhat athletic endeavor, then a "race bike" is the best tool for the job. Greg Lemond also subscibes to this theory. He doesn't write that his bikes should only be used in races.

Plenty of non, or former (like me), racers still enjoy riding fast on a race bike. It's silly to assume that if you don't race you'd be better off on a Riv. I'd rather ride an Allez with Sora.

I would also rather commute on a race bike than some loaded tank of a bike.

BumbleBeeDave
01-29-2013, 05:41 AM
Craig is one of many who understands what a bike should do. Most who have posted here really should not say anything bad about a guy who has worked in the industry and understands bikes and what and how they should ride. Sorry but Darren is right. Louis, did you ever build your Kirk? Leave it alone man.

. . . and others here are stating theirs. Some of them disagree with each other. People are discussing and learning and all opinions are welcome--ALL opinions. I'm a bit mystified as to how this subject or my starting it "brings this forum down."

Craig is a polarizing personality with strong views. That can be both good and bad, depending on the circumstances. He's a smart guy. He's got to be aware that a piece like that on BR is going to provoke comments there and possibly other places. Craig certainly got some grief over there and I imagine he will get some here--but he's also getting a boatload of publicity that he would not otherwise get outside of a few isolated and insular locations on the Internet.

BBD

1/2 Wheeler
01-29-2013, 05:56 AM

I can't say I really understand this. Forget his internet persona. Why is it not fair for someone to question the cost of his frames as compared to other similar models? Or question his marketing.

Of course people are free to buy anything, but a discourse on why his frames cost 1G more then a Primus seems reasonable.

Darren's implication that anyone that doesn't suck up to a Vsalon builders must not ride a bike is as stupid and childish as any comment left on Bike rumor.

William
01-29-2013, 06:06 AM
Craig is catering to a niche, one that he has endorsed/espoused for years. In that sense he has remained true, he walks his talk. One may agree or disagree with how he approaches it, but one thing is certain....they are nice bikes that he designed and has built. I would ride one. Is it worth what he's asking? That's for the market to decide.

No problem discussing the merits, build quality, or pricing as long as everyone keeps it civil = No personal attacks.

William

Spin71
01-29-2013, 06:34 AM
I have never met him, or corresponded with him and do not have one of his frames.

Jeff

LOL. Your second hand account of his personality and product are noted....

flydhest
01-29-2013, 06:46 AM
So, I have met and ridden with Craig. Good guy and all that. Knows about bikes to be sure. The price--whatever Like William says, either it worka in the market or it doesn't.

The only part I Find fault with is he zealous defense "they are just tools to do a job" but then going on and on about the quality of the paint job. If it was "just a tool" it should be powdercoated. In my view, they are very cool bikes that look good with great paint.

DarrenCT
01-29-2013, 06:53 AM

the BR interview is old news by now, but Dave decides to bring it up again. also, interesting to note that back in the day Craig supported this forum and gave lots of people valuable feedback.

should i go on?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJpCaikBFUs

ultraman6970
01-29-2013, 07:06 AM
Looks like his stuff is aluminum... just a simple question for the builders in here or who ever can answer me this ok?

The frames are expensive but why in the world they can't do smooth welds? How much extra in cost can be for a builder to have smooth welds? A lot of good stuff around that really throw me off when I see the "1845 type of surgery operation scars" type of weld. Maybe im being too naive asking this?? but the AL stuff i have has no traces of any welding nowhere and when i see stuff like pegoretti (i know some will frown, just an example) with something you have to wait like forever to get and has welds that looks like made by the "drunken master" really trow me off big time, like buying a 250 thousand dollars sports car that has seats cover in denim and wooden trims made of cheap plastic.

William
01-29-2013, 07:11 AM
the BR interview is old news by now, but Dave decides to bring it up again. also, interesting to note that back in the day Craig supported this forum and gave lots of people valuable feedback.

should i go on?

That article was dated Jan 21st 2013 so doesn't sound like "old news". Most of the posts in this thread are supportive so I'm not sure what your issue is. Craig is a big boy who says what he thinks. A lot of people here support him, but obviously speaking his mind does rub some folks the wrong way. That's part of being in the game. He was supportive of this forum in the past and I have first hand experience discussing BLE's with him. He was polite and very helpful and he's always welcome to drop in here if he chooses.

William

nighthawk
01-29-2013, 07:12 AM
Looks like his stuff is aluminum... just a simple question for the builders in here or who ever can answer me this ok?

The frames are expensive but why in the world they can't do smooth welds? How much extra in cost can be for a builder to have smooth welds? A lot of good stuff around that really throw me off when I see the "1845 type of surgery operation scars" type of weld. Maybe im being too naive asking this?? but the AL stuff i have has no traces of any welding nowhere and when i see stuff like pegoretti (i know some will frown, just an example) with something you have to wait like forever to get and has welds that looks like made by the "drunken master" really trow me off big time, like buying a 250 thousand dollars sports car that has seats cover in denim and wooden trims made of cheap plastic.
:cool:
He actually uses "great stuff" to join the tubes... And it's really difficult to smooth that stuff out.

saab2000
01-29-2013, 07:25 AM
Jerk is definitely not a jerk. He has opinions but in my experience he's usually been right. People are definitely free to not buy his bikes if they don't like them. As for me, I'd freaking love one, but I'm stretched a bit thin at the moment with other bike projects.

I also support his concept that he makes and sells bikes that pros would choose if they could. But they can't, so that's not really the issue. Yes, most are sold to non-racers with disposable income. So what?

Finally, some people here seem to have a bone to pick with the fact that he doesn't do the fabrication himself. I actually find that a plus. He recognizes that his talent lies in design and lets other experts do the hand work. I think it's actually smart business. Many other builders do the same, especially with paint.

He puts his money where his mouth is WRT to squawking about what he thinks a modern race bike should be and then produces the same with absolute clarity of vision and doesn't worry about what others think or want. Good for him.

I want one.

the bottle ride
01-29-2013, 07:28 AM

This- it just reeks of tabloid-esque intent to stir the pot.

Craig makes very fine bikes- best in class- and is thoroughly knowledgable about the business.

cfox
01-29-2013, 07:28 AM

the welds are really nice. "stack of dimes" if you will. They are certainly not lumpy, uneven, or look like they were done by a drunk (in a Peg's case or Gaulzetti). I have a Cannondale with smoothed welds and it looks like hot garbage. No one complains when a Ti frame's welds aren't sanded.

BumbleBeeDave
01-29-2013, 07:30 AM

should i go on?

. . . and it's not worth it to me to check in there more often. So I also wonder what you mean by old news. Not to me. I've never seen it before. I'm not one of Craig's inner circle. I thought the story--and his willingness to engage in the comments and show so much candor--was very interesting and informative.

Yes, Craig was on this forum for a long time and displayed his internet personae often--both sides of it. You may not like it, but for better or worse that does create memories both good and bad for members here and thus makes it legitimate fodder for discussion along with his distinctive approach to marking and public relations for his company. I think he's a big boy and knows what he's doing to appeal to his niche and can handle it if some folks here disagree with him. Everybody is welcome to chime in as long as they follow the forum guidelines.

BBD

rwsaunders
01-29-2013, 07:34 AM

UMan...if you see an AL weld that is smooth, then it's either been ground or had bondo applied over it. Grinding an AL weld is not a good thing...you chance grinding away the metal that forms the weld. Folks like Cannondale achieve their smooth welds by doing a two pass puddle weld.

Nooch
01-29-2013, 07:34 AM
Finally, some people here seem to have a bone to pick with the fact that he doesn't do the fabrication himself. I actually find that a plus. He recognizes that his talent lies in design and lets other experts do the hand work. I think it's actually smart business. Many other builders do the same, especially with paint.

How many frames has Ben Serotta built by hand, himself, the last ten years? Don't get me wrong, I love Serotta, but to harp on him not fabricating the frames in house is just silly, and you're right, Saab, that recognizing your strengths and weaknesses is necessary to strive. Kelly Bedford uses another person to do his Tig'd frames. EVERYONE (maybe not everyone, but a lot of them) DOES IT. I don't understand why the hate on the Jerk for not doing it himself by hand. People on BikeRumour are silly -- that's all I've got.

I want one.

Me Too.

BumbleBeeDave
01-29-2013, 07:35 AM
He puts his money where his mouth is WRT to squawking about what he thinks a modern race bike should be and then produces the same with absolute clarity of vision and doesn't worry about what others think or want. Good for him.

He speaks his mind and walks the walk that he talks. I disagree with him on some points, but I admire that he sticks to his guns. I understand that some folks commenting here are probably friends of his, but methnks you're being a bit sensitive.

BBD

saab2000
01-29-2013, 07:42 AM
He speaks his mind and walks the walk that he talks. I disagree with him on some points, but I admire that he sticks to his guns. I understand that some folks commenting here are probably friends of his, but methnks you're being a bit sensitive.

BBD

I'm don't think I'm really being oversensitive. It's a good discussion. I am an acquaintance but no more. I've met him a few times and certainly enjoyed the times that I have chatted with him. Craig G. is a smart guy with a great sense of humor and more perspective than most people think. Bark>bite...

I do recognize that most posters here support him and like what he makes. It's just a few who have questions but that's not my issue.

I enjoy almost all bikes and his more than most because race bikes are also my thing.

Auk
01-29-2013, 07:45 AM

GG

This is an easy answer for you to answer for yourself. He states, by name, the who and the where on his website. There is no "man behind the curtain" here.

FlashUNC
01-29-2013, 07:47 AM

BBD

You be you Craig. You be you.

oldpotatoe
01-29-2013, 07:47 AM
The Jerk speaks.

http://www.bikerumor.com/2013/01/21/road-to-nahbs-gaulzetti-cicli/#more-53673

BBD

Have a really good customer who ordered one and we are going to build it. I'll let you-all know. As for the personality of the builder, who cares if the frame is a good one? Ya don't have to date the guy, just ride his frame.

BumbleBeeDave
01-29-2013, 07:56 AM
I'm don't think I'm really being oversensitive.

I was not referring to you. :o

But a few others are getting their panties in a twist far too easily over this.

The market will decide whether Craig is successful or not.

BBD

AngryScientist
01-29-2013, 07:58 AM
I'll post the same thing i did ATH:

I wont be in the market for a new road bike for a while, but if i were right now, i would buy one.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8057/8190150882_87cd28795c_b.jpg

oldpotatoe
01-29-2013, 08:00 AM
I'll post the same thing i did ATH:

I wont be in the market for a new road bike for a while, but if i were right now, i would buy one.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8057/8190150882_87cd28795c_b.jpg

Longer fork steerer, no seat mast and threaded BB...and maybe.

Climb01742
01-29-2013, 08:10 AM
i know craig, bought more than a few bikes at his shop and ridden with him (even when he insists on wearing white shorts.) in person, he's a really good dude. online, he's chosen an interesting persona. i think he knows where of he speaks. but here's something i know fer sure...his persona helps to market a small brand in a way that's bigger than its size. that's smart. may not always be everyone's cup of tea, but if you're trying to get traction for your small business, getting noticed is half the battle. building bikes that work is the other 75%.:D

1/2 Wheeler
01-29-2013, 08:10 AM
should i go on?

Only if you are trying to make a coherent point. Otherwise, you should just lock this thread down.

BumbleBeeDave
01-29-2013, 08:19 AM
Only if you are trying to make a coherent point. Otherwise, you should just lock this thread down.

Darren is not a mod here. :confused:

BBD

fuzzalow
01-29-2013, 08:22 AM
Craig Gaulzetti is a knowledgable guy on bikes and his company designs and builds a product not neccessarily suited to the mass market in bicycling. Nothing wrong with that.

Anytime the vitriol gets as intense and as incensed as what is written against Jerk & Gaulzetti bikes by nameless, emboldened internet jamokes, it is less illuminative on Gaulzetti and more reflective of the person doing the writing and the whinging. Being a cry baby about too expensive or welds or blah, blah blah is falling back on entitlements felt deserved by the mass market bicycle consumer. So save the complaints and go buy the latest industry POS because the niche makers aren't speaking to you and likewise, you not capable of hearing them. Stay corporate, my friend.

Dave B
01-29-2013, 08:25 AM
I have a tremendous amount of respect for his experiences and points of view. It makes perfect sense where he is coming from and he makes no excuses for how he is running his business.

His designs come from his experiences and he is honest about that. His prices are where he thinks he should be and where people buy them. What else can be said that is worthwhile to the situation.

If you think he is too high priced then don't buy one or don't by a new one.

It seems people are trying to justify why they are right and he is wrong. No one is forcing you to buy his frames, I don't get why so many folks get upset about this. He makes bikes, he has ridden professionally, he isn't trying to make a bike for everyone, he is not trying to get everyone to buy his bikes. What am I missing that has people so upset?

fuzzalow
01-29-2013, 08:34 AM
Darren is not a mod here. :confused:

BBD

I think that was a joke alluding to the the intoxication of censorship creating a reflexive, meglomaniac impulse to quash things outside of what shall be written or read. Exercised with extreme caprice by sychophantic Mods in some quarters.

But not by anyone here.

ergott
01-29-2013, 08:36 AM
The most useful point he made in the comments is that once you price out all the details of his frameset and compare THAT to the competition, it's not that much or a premium. Frame, fork, mast topper, headse etc. are all hidden costs that bring up the price of others' frame only prices. There are definitely cheaper alternatives, but he's not asking ridiculous money here.

AgilisMerlin
01-29-2013, 08:40 AM
this threads got teeth'

Ray
01-29-2013, 08:45 AM
Does he say why he doesn't think bikes are good for general transportation or commuting? I was thinking about that today. Maybe, the dude likes trains?
He didn't say that - he just said that HE has no interest in using a bike for transportation. He's all in favor of anyone riding for pretty much any purpose, but for HIM, its a sport and the bike is a sporting good, rather than a lifestyle piece or a vehicle for transportation or whatever. He said he'd be happy to send potential customers to other builders who do really good jobs of building commuters and rando bikes and whatnot - he's fine with it, its just not HIS thing.

I always enjoyed the guy's input here and on that other forum when I was over there. Even when I was riding a lot and waaaaay into it, I'd have been the very last customer ever for one of his bikes. But I respect his clarity of purpose and single mindedness. The people who his bikes are right for will find him. The one evening I met him he was a tremendously nice and funny guy, far from a jerk. I never really found him to be a jerk online either - it was just a name. He was always very helpful and explained stuff really well.

What I want to know and can't believe nobody else has asked - was the "Swoop" who posted in the comments section the REAL SWOOP?!?!?!?!? A Swoop sighting? Its been a while since I've seen that dude stir up any trouble...

-Ray

LegendRider
01-29-2013, 08:54 AM
What I want to know and can't believe nobody else has asked - was the "Swoop" who posted in the comments section the REAL SWOOP?!?!?!?!? A Swoop sighting? Its been a while since I've seen that dude stir up any trouble...

-Ray

I thought the exact same thing!

ultraman6970
01-29-2013, 08:55 AM
Been looking and that what i found out, some guys do second passes and then cleaning (as you said), heard about a process aswell years ago... just like a sanding process done just together with the welding... thats the reason I asked about how much extra could be you know... some guys doing tig just do welds that are fabulously well finish and others have those clunky welds that looks like it they found the welders standing in the 7/11 parking lot that same morning you know... "you guys do welding? No but we can learn!!! ok jump on the truck!! 5 bucks per bike!!!:

For the example the BMC road racer i had the only noticeable weld was the BB area, all the other stuff was just like a one piece, just smooth transitions, so well done that people tough was a carbon frame. The derosa I have the same. A Silverish derosa team that was sold a few months ago, that one had smooth welds aswell... I do painting so from look at something i know when a filler was put in place and with thick welds you cant use filler because are just so thick that the use of bondo will bring unnatural blending between the tubes, will look even worse... The aluminum and Scandium EMs made in the US have super smooth welds as well, last gens CAADs arent bad either.

How much extra in cost for an independent builder could be to do a second pass and smooth the areas? I mean a caad cost frame for the factory doubt is more than 350 bucks.. sure for derosa is around the same.. but for a small builder for example?? 100-- 200 more per frame? when you talk about 2500 bucks a frame (making up a number and not talking of any builder in particular) 100 or 200 more to improve the appeal at least to me doesnt look like a lot because shows more care of his work and maybe bring more clientele. As I said before, a lot of good stuff moving around but when you see the finishing daaaannnnggg.......

UMan...if you see an AL weld that is smooth, then it's either been ground or had bondo applied over it. Grinding an AL weld is not a good thing...you chance grinding away the metal that forms the weld. Folks like Cannondale achieve their smooth welds by doing a two pass puddle weld.

cfox
01-29-2013, 08:55 AM

-Ray

doubt it. call swoop what you may, but he isn't illiterate like that commenter. and pretty sure he's tight with Craig, so that comment doesn't fit.

mister
01-29-2013, 09:00 AM
i'm curious if that "icarus" commenter
is prolly's bro that builds the icarus frames
i'd think he'd be busy enough to not be trolling builder/designer interviews but...

goonster
01-29-2013, 09:07 AM
Craig builds a huge bike and most here would be better riders on one.
Uh, that is where you lost me.

How do you know what would make us better riders?

rwsaunders
01-29-2013, 09:10 AM
Been looking and that what i found out, some guys do second passes and then cleaning (as you said), heard about a process aswell years ago... just like a sanding process done just together with the welding... thats the reason I asked about how much extra could be you know... some guys doing tig just do welds that are fabulously well finish and others have those clunky welds that looks like it they found the welders standing in the 7/11 parking lot that same morning you know... "you guys do welding? No but we can learn!!! ok jump on the truck!! 5 bucks per bike!!!:

For the example the BMC road racer i had the only noticeable weld was the BB area, all the other stuff was just like a one piece, just smooth transitions, so well done that people tough was a carbon frame. The derosa I have the same. A Silverish derosa team that was sold a few months ago, that one had smooth welds aswell... I do painting so from look at something i know when a filler was put in place and with thick welds you cant use filler because are just so thick that the use of bondo will bring unnatural blending between the tubes, will look even worse... The aluminum and Scandium EMs made in the US have super smooth welds as well, last gens CAADs arent bad either.

How much extra in cost for an independent builder could be to do a second pass and smooth the areas? I mean a caad cost frame for the factory doubt is more than 350 bucks.. sure for derosa is around the same.. but for a small builder for example?? 100-- 200 more per frame? when you talk about 2500 bucks a frame (making up a number and not talking of any builder in particular) 100 or 200 more to improve the appeal at least to me doesnt look like a lot because shows more care of his work and maybe bring more clientele. As I said before, a lot of good stuff moving around but when you see the finishing daaaannnnggg.......

UMan...I found a video of the CDale process...check out 1:59 to 2:40...they talk about the welding, but it looks like they sand the puddle welds...talk of stress relief in the video.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=XMdrPxD3I_Y&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DXMdrPxD3I_Y

William
01-29-2013, 09:15 AM
i'm curious if that "icarus" commenter
is prolly's bro that builds the icarus frames
i'd think he'd be busy enough to not be trolling builder/designer interviews but...

I highly doubt that was Ian. Very different writing style and grammar than what I've seen in correspondence with him.

William

alessandro
01-29-2013, 09:16 AM
I just love that he named one of his bikes Cazzo. :D:bike:

tsarpepe
01-29-2013, 09:20 AM
I just love that he named one of his bikes Cazzo. :D:bike:

Second that! My wife's Italian and we had a hearty laugh yesterday when I showed her the interview.

William
01-29-2013, 09:22 AM
Should we be charging Craig for all the hits?? Where do I send the bill???

;):D
William

ultraman6970
01-29-2013, 09:35 AM
Really Interesting... thanks :)

UMan...I found a video of the CDale process...check out 1:59 to 2:40...they talk about the welding, but it looks like they sand the puddle welds...talk of stress relief in the video.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=XMdrPxD3I_Y&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DXMdrPxD3I_Y

BumbleBeeDave
01-29-2013, 09:54 AM
Should we be charging Craig for all the hits?? Where do I send the bill???

;):D
William

. . . he hasn't chimed in here. Maybe he's out putting longer stems on all his bikes? :rolleyes::p

BBD

LegendRider
01-29-2013, 10:02 AM
. . . he hasn't chimed in here. Maybe he's out putting longer stems on all his bikes? :rolleyes::p

BBD

Jerk-approved custom-made 165mm stem:
http://instagram.com/p/Urt3Msn6jV/

bobswire
01-29-2013, 10:24 AM
Gaulzetti's, three words, form follows function.

BryanE
01-29-2013, 10:34 AM
Big tubed alum is so yesterday.
Flock Of Seagulls like

Ahneida Ride
01-29-2013, 10:37 AM
these are the same idiots who care more about matching bar tape then actually riding their bike.

Like me ! :D

However these are also the people work their a** off in real life
to acquire the frns that keep our precious builders in business .....
building backward faster bikes ...

thus they stay in business ... so they build for the elite.

maxdog
01-29-2013, 10:37 AM
Jerk is definitely not a jerk. He has opinions but in my experience he's usually been right. People are definitely free to not buy his bikes if they don't like them. As for me, I'd freaking love one, but I'm stretched a bit thin at the moment with other bike projects.

I also support his concept that he makes and sells bikes that pros would choose if they could. But they can't, so that's not really the issue. Yes, most are sold to non-racers with disposable income. So what?

I want one.

What he said.
To put my money were my mouth is; I'll trade any of my bikes (Marcello, Speedvagen, Meivici, Etc...), except for my Vamoots, Sachs or Atlanta, for a Corsa in good shape. I need a 54.5/55 tt and a saddle height that can be dialed in around 76mm. Color is no issue. Any takers?

Charles M
01-29-2013, 10:46 AM
...the losers... the people who don't ride bikes at all, and just like to cause ****. these are the same idiots who care more about matching bar tape then actually riding their bike...

Ohhhh....

Kay.

For the record I was just asking if he was actually welding building bikes now because it seemed like an obvious next step...

The last time I asked him was in person at NAHBS a couple years ago and he didn't freak out about it at all. In fact, it was such a non issue that I don't remember the answer other than that maybe at some point he might.

That he's not building the bikes himself doesn't change the quality design and execution of the product at all. The guy loves cycling in general and has a passion and focus on a small portion of it... I'm happy that his attitude is not well reflected in portions of this thread.

Not much more to it than that.

professerr
01-29-2013, 11:03 AM

should i go on?

When it was "new" news a week ago, you locked up the thread about it across the hall after two posts. Gaulzetti is not the only guy over there who chooses a polarizing, opinionated on-line persona to promote themselves. I wonder if you are too quick to save the Br'er Craig et al. from the briar patch.

slidey
01-29-2013, 11:10 AM
What a bunch of cranky, blind supporters 'zetti has...must be putting him to shame to stand with the same crowd, more than anything else.

J.Greene
01-29-2013, 11:11 AM
Craig is my friend, so read into this what you will. I build frames and I've owned a Gaulzetti. I wanted to see what Craig's ideas wrt to Al bikes and bikes in general were about so I bought a used team bike that perfectly matched up to my contact points. Without purposefully trying to sound like a magazine review or create website fiction I'd like to say they are exactly like Craig describes them and that's a big compliment in my book. There was no over promising or under delivering. I'm pragmatic in that I think people should buy and ride what they like, but if what Craig does excites you, and you buy from him you will get exactly what you're expecting.

fiamme red
01-29-2013, 11:19 AM
Some valid points are presented and his rebuttals are convincing. Does he say why he doesn't think bikes are good for general transportation or commuting? I was thinking about that today. Maybe, the dude likes trains?"I hate precious bikes, I don’t understand why anyone would want to use a bicycle as a form of transportation- but I love bike people."

I doubt that the Jerk is so stupid that he doesn't understand why people use bikes for transportation. I'm pretty sure he's just saying it to provoke.

Charles M
01-29-2013, 11:23 AM
And he knows the response to provocation is what it is...

He's not crying like a school girl if it's not suuuuuper sweeeeeet...

jerk
01-29-2013, 11:26 AM
Hi Guys-
Thanks for the comments. You guys are a much easier crowd than the bikerumor folks!

Pez-
I think if you read through all the comments over there, it explains it pretty well re: how and where my frames are built. I do not do any of the welding and honestly, rarely do any of the fabrication although I am at the shop an awful lot and "oversee"/get in the way as much as possible. My friend and business partner, Ricky runs a really successful machine shop and we occupy space there and have tooling and fixtures dedicated solely to our own production but we also have access to all the other stuff in the machine shop too- this is great because it allows us to make our own drop-outs, cable guides, headtubes bb shells etc. etc.

I can weld, I can miter, I can do most of the processes involved in building my bikes- but i can't do any of them nearly as well as the guys we employ to do that stuff. i am not a one man frame shop- but i do feel i build bikes- at least as much as anyone else who isn't a one man frame shop builds bikes.

thanks for reading.

craig/jerk

boxerboxer
01-29-2013, 11:28 AM
"I hate precious bikes, I don’t understand why anyone would want to use a bicycle as a form of transportation- but I love bike people."

I doubt that the Jerk is so stupid that he doesn't understand why people use bikes for transportation. I'm pretty sure he's just saying it to provoke.

I don't think he was trying to provoke anyone. Honestly, based on the interview and his comments I think he's going to have to work hard to earn back the "Jerk" moniker.

He's just saying two things:
1. He personally doesn't get riding for transport.
2. He has absolutely no problem with people who do.

If it makes people mad because he doesn't feel the same way they do about bike transportation that seems like it's on them.

To me the only criticism that sort of sticks is that the bikes are expensive, but even that one is easily solved by moving on with one's life and buying a cheaper bike.

The rest of it boils down to ignorance of the situation, good ol' fashioned internet-mean, and "it's not for me."

To me "I'm not interested in that thing being discussed" is the worst and most useless thing you can possibly say on the internet. Pure waste of data storage.

I can't afford a frame, but I want one even more now than I did before I saw what a classy dude the Jerk is.

Derailer
01-29-2013, 11:45 AM
you don't sell the steak, you sell the sizzle.

jlwdm
01-29-2013, 11:51 AM
What a bunch of cranky, blind supporters 'zetti has...must be putting him to shame to stand with the same crowd, more than anything else.

?????????????

Jeff

nighthawk
01-29-2013, 11:56 AM
Don't judge a person till you've interacted with them in real life, don't judge a bike till you've ridden it. The rest is opinions not worth the energy to analyze.

fiamme red
01-29-2013, 11:57 AM
I don't think he was trying to provoke anyone. Honestly, based on the interview and his comments I think he's going to have to work hard to earn back the "Jerk" moniker.

He's just saying two things:
1. He personally doesn't get riding for transport.
2. He has absolutely no problem with people who do.

If it makes people mad because he doesn't feel the same way they do about bike transportation that seems like it's on them.Maybe the Jerk is losing his touch. :p

He could have expressed himself better if he's not just trying to provoke. Personally, I haven't the slightest interest in participating in criterium or cyclocross or downhill racing (i.e., I don't "get" these things), for example, but I wouldn't say, "I don’t understand why anyone would want to do it."

It's interesting that he says, "I hate precious bikes," and then, "Renold Yip’s townie bikes inspire me even though I would never, ever want one or build one." If Yipsan's townie bikes aren't "precious," I don't know what is.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7199/6924680069_e3400724e7_z.jpg

ultraman6970
01-29-2013, 12:10 PM
No idea whats that but looks sweet!

Louis
01-29-2013, 01:49 PM
Don't judge a person till you've interacted with them in real life,

Where were you when Manti Teo needed you? ;)

nighthawk
01-29-2013, 02:21 PM
Where were you when Manti Teo needed you? ;)

I said "judge" not "get sexy with"

MadRocketSci
01-29-2013, 03:27 PM
the haters do have a point....that these are race bikes priced out of most racer's budgets. Nothing wrong with that, but a second line manufactured in asia with single color powdercoat and decals would benefit more racers.

4Rings6Stars
01-29-2013, 04:15 PM
the haters do have a point....that these are race bikes priced out of most racer's budgets. Nothing wrong with that, but a second line manufactured in asia with single color powdercoat and decals would benefit more racers.

I might have missed or misread, but I don't think it's that he is just building race bikes for racers. He is building race bikes for people who want race bikes or want to go fast, whether they want to actually race on the bike is up to them.

For those who can't afford a Gaulzetti, there are lots of other options out there for nice and affordable race frames. It shouldn't be his responsibility to make a bike for everybody and he shouldn't get flamed for making a bike most people can't afford.

Will my (hypothetical) 911 get me to work any more effectively than my subie wagon? No. Is it fun to drive? Yes. Do I smile whenever I drive it? Yes. Is it worth the money?...W T F kind of question is that anyway?

beeatnik
01-29-2013, 04:29 PM
There are different interpretations of his intentions. However, it appears to me that the price point criticism is not well articulated so most are confusing the issue. The question is: do most of us really believe that the best aluminum racing frameset has to retail for $3000? As has been noted, this price, regardless of the add-ons, represents a 2 to 6x premium over other very capable aluminum race tools. In other words, prove to me that a pro would prefer your bike over a CAAD10. Why? Maybe, because I like bikes and I want to make an informed buying decision. Anyway, I know it sounds like the same old price point argument, but even Serotta presents a better case for their $10,000 CF frame versus a $4000 Cannondale EVO. IMHO.

And, yep, I'm aware that he's not making a ton of money. And that he designed the tubes. And the bikes are in the Italian racing style/geo. The bike business fascinates me. The average consumer has access to a product (the PRO Race Bike) that is designed and built at a world class level. The equivalent of $1000 jeans which make you look 10 pounds ligher (not the best analogy, I know). And, yet, it's still a relatively small industry in the scale of global manufacturing. I wonder what type of Al bike Cannondale would produce if they could amortize the capital investment and RD costs which would lead to a $3000 aluminum frameset for the consumer market. It's kinda like the auto industry claiming for years that they couldn't profitably manufacture fuel effcient vehicles for under $50,000.

SoCalSteve
01-29-2013, 04:36 PM
doubt it. call swoop what you may, but he isn't illiterate like that commenter. and pretty sure he's tight with Craig, so that comment doesn't fit.

I actually think that was Swoop and, if not mistaken, he had a big falling out with the guys "across the hall". Not sure if the Jerk was involved with that...but, it does seem like an interesting coincidence.

Comments, opinions and facts are always welcomed!

fiamme red
01-29-2013, 04:51 PM
In other words, prove to me that a pro would prefer your bike over a CAAD10.Well, that's part of the marketing:

http://www.embrocationmagazine.com/store/gaulzetti-corsa

Gone are the days where pro riders used to secretly, or not-so-secretly in some cases, have custom bikes made for them and rebadged with their official sponsors' logos. Sponsorship contracts have become so large and important to the bottom lines of teams that this practice is now economically impossible.

With this in mind, the Gaulzetti Corsa is designed to be the bike pro riders would ride if they had a choice of frames.So why would they prefer the aluminum Gaulzetti to a carbon Scott, Cannondale, Trek, Orbea, etc.? The following paragraph only says that aluminum could be as good a material for a race bike as carbon, not that it's better:

When built correctly from premium materials, aluminum bicycles ride well, handle predictably and last a long time. In fact, not so many years ago, aluminum was the go-to material for the highest performance race bikes. Virtually the entire pro peloton competed on bicycles with aluminum frames because they had ideal performance characteristics. Carbon frames later became the standard, not necessarily because of any enhanced performance characteristics, but because they could be made more cheaply and in greater numbers with less labor than metal frames.Like Rapha, Gaulzetti uses the fantasy of being a Belgian hardman as marketing:

http://www.embrocationmagazine.com/store/gaulzetti-cazzo

The terrain best suited to the Cazzo is also the type of terrain that could elicit such profanity from even the most pious of bike racers. An agricultural drainage ditch serving as a roadway, an impossibly steep dirt road climb, a 50km/h echelon that picks up the pace as it ascends a muur covered in manure, crushed bricks and drunk tifosi hurling pils, a 180 degree corner into a mass of mud or dust depending on that morning's weather pattern- these are the race conditions which make a cyclist scream "Cazzo!" Gaulzetti Cicli has listened and produced the ideal bicycle for just such conditions.Sounds to me just the sort of bike that would match a head-to-toe Rapha ensemble. :)

soulspinner
01-29-2013, 04:58 PM
I actually raced an alu (Cannondale) and think its a great material to race. More road feedback than carbon on race tires and the difference in frame weight to carbon varies about as much as my body weight day to day. Didnt crack when it fell over either. I added whats included with a Gaulzetti and its in no way exorbitant, especially if you get on one and love it. Too bad my days of racing are over, but if they werent, Id be interested. Dont know CG but Im sure my stem at 110 on a 54 sloper is too short....

Grant McLean
01-29-2013, 04:59 PM
The bike business fascinates me. The average consumer has access to a product (the PRO Race Bike) that is designed and built at a world class level. The equivalent of $1000 jeans which make you look 10 pounds ligher (not the best analogy, I know). And, yet, it's still a relatively small industry in the scale of global manufacturing. I wonder what type of Al bike Cannondale would produce if they could amortize the capital investment and RD costs which would lead to a $3000 aluminum frameset for the consumer market. It's kinda like the auto industry claiming for years that they couldn't profitably manufacture fuel effcient vehicles for under $50,000.

I think you're focusing a lot on the frame material, and not enough on the
end product. People will pay more for better. More and better are relative
terms that you have to define for yourself.

The bike biz is notoriously snobbish about brands, and once too many of the
same bike show up on group rides (or internet photos) there is a certain slice
of the cycling demographic that rushes to be "over" whatever the popular
thing of the moment is. Small brands serve an important role in the market,
and in the history and culture of cycling. That shouldn't be any news to those
reading this forum.

The economics of a small custom biz has no value correlation with a factory built product.
Cannondale making 500 frames a day is just another model entirely.
Craig's biz where the frame doesn't exist before you order it has value
compared to something that comes out of a box. Also take note that Cannondale
could not sustain their biz model with USA manufacturing, and moved their
production to China.

-g

Louis
01-29-2013, 05:05 PM
The bike biz is notoriously snobbish about brands, and once too many of the same bike show up on group rides (or internet photos)

Agreed. How many folks around here would not be caught dead on a Trek?

(I'll admit to being one of them.)

William
01-29-2013, 05:13 PM
Agreed. How many folks around here would not be caught dead on a Trek?

(I'll admit to being one of them.)

Hey, I dig my Trek Sawyer!:no::)

William

beeatnik
01-29-2013, 05:22 PM
I think you're focusing a lot on the frame material, and not enough on the
end product. People will pay more for better. More and better are relative
terms that you have to define for yourself.

The bike biz is notoriously snobbish about brands, and once too many of the
same bike show up on group rides (or internet photos) there is a certain slice
of the cycling demographic that rushes to be "over" whatever the popular
thing of the moment is. Small brands serve an important role in the market,
and in the history and culture of cycling. That shouldn't be any news to those
reading this forum.
-g

Honestly, the marketing confuses me. Isn't a major part of the value added for the Gaulzetti (and distinguishing characteristic) the fact that it's a humble material (generally inexpensive and easy to work with/weld) with technological improvements, ie, the propietary Dedacciai aluminum tubing? And from the Bike Rumor interview I learned that this particular tube set and design come together to create a bike which would meet the needs of a pro. A bike that a guy with a 2000w sprint would prefer over CF (claimed). So, that must be pretty awesome tubing and pretty awesome design.

Anyhoo, I dig the design and the aesthetics. They're big selling points. They also don't hurt the bike's resale value. :banana:

Louis
01-29-2013, 05:23 PM
Hey, I dig my Trek Sawyer!:no::)

I'm not saying they're bad bikes, just that not everyone wants to drive a Honda Civic.

Many of the Trek models are essentially as good as you can get as far as performance goes, but like so much else in life, many people have purchasing criteria that go beyond just functionality.

AgilisMerlin
01-29-2013, 05:32 PM
I have done group rides on a bianchi 7005 alu. nexus 8spd milano. 400mm seatpost, slammed 73d stem, 1 size too small (wife's bike) and it flies.

low and long, hasn't that been quoted regarding his geometry. I drive a honda btw

post edit: i would love to ride one of the alu. frames/fork - not a seatmast fan, though

Louis
01-29-2013, 05:36 PM
I drive a honda btw

As do I, and if they still made a Civic hatch or CRX, my next car would also be a Honda.

T.J.
01-29-2013, 05:40 PM
I'm not saying they're bad bikes, just that not everyone wants to drive a Honda Civic.

Many of the Trek models are essentially as good as you can get as far as performance goes, but like so much else in life, many people have purchasing criteria that go beyond just functionality.

Hey now! I just bought a new Civic SI and my team bike is a Madone :butt::butt:

;)

AgilisMerlin
01-29-2013, 05:41 PM
As do I, and if they still made a Civic hatch or CRX, my next car would also be a Honda.

next vehicle :eek: I am hoping

http://blog.caranddriver.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Mercedes-BenzVianoVisionDiamond01-626x382.jpg

oh, and that would also be my garage.

Louis
01-29-2013, 05:43 PM
Hey now! I just bought a new Civic SI and my team bike is a Madone :butt::butt:

I knew someone was going to say this. :)

My daily driver bike is a $125 AL Nashbar frame, so I'm right there with you, if not even more so.

csm
01-29-2013, 05:49 PM
I wouldn't buy one but see why others might. Not sure why some have their panties in a bunch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

MadRocketSci
01-29-2013, 05:58 PM
I might have missed or misread, but I don't think it's that he is just building race bikes for racers. He is building race bikes for people who want race bikes or want to go fast, whether they want to actually race on the bike is up to them.

For those who can't afford a Gaulzetti, there are lots of other options out there for nice and affordable race frames. It shouldn't be his responsibility to make a bike for everybody and he shouldn't get flamed for making a bike most people can't afford.

Will my (hypothetical) 911 get me to work any more effectively than my subie wagon? No. Is it fun to drive? Yes. Do I smile whenever I drive it? Yes. Is it worth the money?...W T F kind of question is that anyway?

like i said, there's nothing wrong with what he's doing, and it's commendable going high-craftsmanship all USA design/manufacture. Refreshing, in fact.

and he can make whatever he wants. i would like one. But i only have budget for one ~$3000 frame/fork/hs. it's not going to be a gaulzetti. my loss.

as for your analogy, i would say it's more like the diff between a hypothetical 911 mass produced in South Korea, vs one hand made in Bavaria, assuming that they perform equally well.

T.J.
01-29-2013, 06:00 PM
I knew someone was going to say this. :)

My daily driver bike is a $125 AL Nashbar frame, so I'm right there with you, if not even more so.

They are pretty nice actually

Louis
01-29-2013, 06:04 PM
That looks a lot more like a 4-Runner than a Civic. :)

T.J.
01-29-2013, 06:06 PM
That looks a lot more like a 4-Runner than a Civic. :)

Ha! Didn't have the Honda a when that pic was snapped

beeatnik
01-29-2013, 06:12 PM
Is there a better American made CF race bike than the 7.9? I think not. Anyhoo, the question is academic.

Ray
01-29-2013, 06:26 PM
I actually think that was Swoop and, if not mistaken, he had a big falling out with the guys "across the hall". Not sure if the Jerk was involved with that...but, it does seem like an interesting coincidence.

How many guys are out there who'd call themselves Swoop and post on bike forums? I seem to recall he went from moderator to banned across the hall all in about one fell Swoop, as it were - no pun intended, but sort of inevitable. And he was easily agitated then. Maybe he holds grudges...

-Ray

maunahaole
01-29-2013, 06:45 PM
I don't know Craig. I have spoken with him on the phone once for a couple minutes. All reports say that, in person, he is a great guy. His online persona is what it is. I have heard nothing but good things about his bike from folks who know more about bikes and have ridden more nice bikes than I ever will. He has good folks doing the fab. He has been selling bikes for a while, his name is on the tubes. Let him figure out who he wants to sell to and how he wants to sell them. I hope he succeeds.

Dave B
01-29-2013, 06:50 PM
How many guys are out there who'd call themselves Swoop and post on bike forums? I seem to recall he went from moderator to banned across the hall all in about one fell Swoop, as it were - no pun intended, but sort of inevitable. And he was easily agitated then. Maybe he holds grudges...

-Ray

I didn't think he was banned, just didn't want to put up with stupid *****.

Might also be wrong. He was opinionated, but a hell of a rider and very bright. He was very good to me on some non bicycling related stuff.

Craig also is incredibly helpful and while I am not in the market for one of his bikes I think they are incredibly appealing...I don't care who makes it, they are nice looking and purpose built.

Charles M
01-29-2013, 07:23 PM

At what point do we stop saying "across the hall" when it hasn't been in the same building for a while;)

That there needed to be a hallway at all is pretty high on my list of ***** I don't care about at all...

cfox
01-29-2013, 07:36 PM
They are pretty nice actually

that Madone a really good looking race bike.

slidey
01-29-2013, 07:41 PM
So, I'm not the only one who feel this way :hello:

At what point do we stop saying "across the hall" when it hasn't been in the same building for a while;)

That there needed to be a hallway at all is pretty high on my list of ***** I don't care about at all...

TimD
01-29-2013, 08:09 PM
... that the guys who write for Bike Rumor know what they are talking about.

Climb01742
01-29-2013, 08:26 PM
it's a big positive for me that craig is having his bikes built here in america, helping to give talented american craftsmen jobs and livelihoods. we each can decide for ourselves what that is worth.

DarrenCT
01-29-2013, 09:57 PM
it's a big positive for me that craig is having his bikes built here in america, helping to give talented american craftsmen jobs and livelihoods. we each can decide for ourselves what that is worth.

huge plus here as well. i get all of my stuff from signature cycles or other local shops. even good tires instead of using pbk.com

well done.

Jack Brunk
01-29-2013, 10:52 PM
huge plus here as well. i get all of my stuff from signature cycles or other local shops. even good tires instead of using pbk.com

well done.

I love the vibe on the wrong coast. If I had to chose between Jerk/Dario for a 3000 dollar plus frame, Jerk is the winner.

JB

Firefly is the bomb!

bcm119
01-29-2013, 10:55 PM
I have nothing useful to add. But I do miss Jerk's frequent input here, I learned a lot from him in the early days. I never minded his direct writing style.

Swoop too-- remember when he started the "best legs" thread, post a pic of your legs here! Funny stuff.

soulspinner
01-30-2013, 04:25 AM
Is there a better American made CF race bike than the 7.9? I think not. Anyhoo, the question is academic.

Crumpton.

soulspinner
01-30-2013, 04:25 AM

Crumpton

texbike
01-30-2013, 07:39 AM
sites this these and other forums bring out all the losers. the people who don't ride bikes at all, and just like to cause ****. these are the same idiots who care more about matching bar tape then actually riding their bike.

thankfully we have internet forums where people ride, and appreciate the builders.

Wow!!!! Seriously!?!?!?!?! Too bad you don't have the power to lock down threads here and create the circle jerk that you have at the other place, huh?

If you don't like "sites like these and other forums...", then stay off of them and you won't have to worry about the "losers" and "idiots" that would prefer to match their bar tape than ride. Go back to your little hole and give your buddies a nice back rub.

Instead of taking the time to come over here and trying to stifle conversation about one of your friends (who I actually respect and like his bikes), why not go ride your OWN bike? Some idiots care more about locking threads than actually riding their bike...

Peace Out!

Texbike

Spin71
01-30-2013, 07:53 AM
Wow!!!! Seriously!?!?!?!?! Too bad you don't have the power to lock down threads here and create the circle jerk that you have at the other place, huh?

If you don't like "sites like these and other forums...", then stay off of them and you won't have to worry about the "losers" and "idiots" that would prefer to match their bar tape than ride. Go back to your little hole and give your buddies a nice back rub.

Instead of taking the time to come over here and trying to stifle conversation about one of your friends (who I actually respect and like his bikes), why not go ride your OWN bike? Some idiots care more about locking threads than actually riding their bike...

Peace Out!

Texbike

I guess giving old ladies tennis lessons are slow in these cold months. Cut Howdy Doody a break.

AngryScientist
01-30-2013, 07:55 AM
i think we've all had a chance to read the interview and take from it what we may.

as usual, when the thread track turns to personal attacks, it's time to end the conversation.

Ahneida Ride
01-30-2013, 12:17 PM

I completely agree! Use American sources for materials and employ
talented American artisans to create a superior handcrafted product.

:banana: