PDA

View Full Version : Exterior Airbags for cars to protect cyclists

avalonracing
01-28-2013, 07:39 PM
http://www.fastcoexist.com/1681267/these-airbags-for-cyclists-might-save-your-life-when-a-car-slams-in-to-you#1

I know a lot of people (okay most people) would say that mandatory exterior airbags would be ridiculous and no one should have the cost of their new car increased because of them but thing about it...
Interior airbags are mandatory and they protect the driver of the vehicle who is protected in a cage and often the one at fault. While an exterior bag protects those who often have nothing to do with the cause of the accident.

If liability car insurance is required but full coverage is not shouldn't be that exterior airbags are required and interior bags should be an option?

MattTuck
01-28-2013, 07:51 PM
I personally believe that we're 5-10 years away from semi or fully-autonomous cars, which will have much better accident avoidance than even very good human drivers.

While these external airbags are interesting, I think your energy would be better
spent campaigning for more strict distracted driving laws and/or enforcement of existing laws.

bart998
01-28-2013, 08:07 PM
Because air bags are hugely expensive, there is a black market even for stolen ones... It is much more likely they would be detonated by an object striking your car than a person. I don't see this as a very promising idea. Sorry.

CunegoFan
01-28-2013, 08:10 PM
I must be getting old because my first thought is the same "***!" I think when I see people wearing helmets for regular downhill skiing.

EDIT: You gotta be kidding me. W T F is censored. Is ZOMG also?

EDIT2: Nope.