PDA

View Full Version : USPS Money Order Question

bikerboy337
01-28-2013, 10:45 AM
Quick question... have a buyer of something on ebay that wants to pay via USPS money order... what am I missing here... any scam issues I should be worried about. I've stated that I would not ship until 100% certain money was in my account...

buyer has good feedback as a buyer and seems legit... just have never had anyone try to pay via USPS money order...

I would confirm with my bank that all is in order before shipping (ie, wait 2-3 days to ensure that its valid)

any thoughts?

christian
01-28-2013, 10:48 AM
I don't think there are any issues; I have been paid and paid by MO many times. I prefer it to Paypal, etc.

If it's people I "internet-know" I prefer a personal check.

cat6
01-28-2013, 10:57 AM
The story takes place on the planet Grool, a planet inhabited by mostly short, anthropomorphous felines. The idyllic and mundane lifestyle of the feline aliens is interrupted when an alien invader known as Kat of Nine Tails kidnaps Grool's sentient populace, inadvertently leaving one of them, Squeak, behind. Shortly after, Squeak encounters a human boy known only as Bubble who agrees to rescue Squeak's captured populace.

m_sasso
01-28-2013, 11:29 AM
I pay for most purchases with postal money orders and I will not deal with Paypal. If there is a scam to using them, I guess I am missing out.

Dave B
01-28-2013, 11:52 AM
I thought you had to pay by paypal if it was on ebay? Ebay owns paypal and it is another way to increase their profits.

ultraman6970
01-28-2013, 01:25 PM
Obviously, dont send the item until you get and cashed that MO

jr59
01-28-2013, 01:55 PM
As long as the post office has the cash, you can cash them there.

Even if they don't. They can tell you if the MO is real.

There are/were fakes out there at one point.

I use them all the time. And will not use PP for anything!

xjoex
01-28-2013, 01:57 PM
There are fake money orders, but the USPS does nothing to really check. They have no incentive.

The USPS acts as the agent to give you money and the treasury pays them, no matter if the MO or fake or not, that is the treasury's problem.

-Joe

bikerboy337
01-28-2013, 01:59 PM
I figured they were safe, was just the first time someone offered to use one, and I was trying to make sure there wasn't some sort of angle...

my other issue was that my bank is in texas (i'm in RI), so I called and I can deposit it like any check... via my scanner, or if there is an issue, mail it to them for deposit...

so... looks like its all good...
:banana:
as has been said, bike will not be shipped until payment is safely in my account...

Thanks again for the quick information.. I'm always weary of the ebay scammers... :butt:

Don49
01-28-2013, 02:20 PM
my other issue was that my bank is in texas (i'm in RI), so I called and I can deposit it like any check... via my scanner, or if there is an issue, mail it to them for deposit...I'd be concerned that your bank can reverse the deposit after they receive the MO if there's any problem with it. I'd want to actually receive cash for the MO before I sent the goods.

bikerboy337
01-28-2013, 03:09 PM
I'd be concerned that your bank can reverse the deposit after they receive the MO if there's any problem with it. I'd want to actually receive cash for the MO before I sent the goods.

Good point... i will likely go that route... get cash then deposit in my bank...

clyde the point
01-28-2013, 03:58 PM
It becomes a federal offense to fake a USPS MO. I decline paypal and prefer this form of payment. Good as gold.

Paypal on the other hand sux. From what they charge to being able to "steal" your money when the buyer files a claim.

The truth about ebay and paypal scams is becoming apparent. No protection for the seller at all.

Selling on forums is the way to go!

wpod
01-28-2013, 04:45 PM
It becomes a federal offense to fake a USPS MO. I decline paypal and prefer this form of payment. Good as gold.

My position as well...