PDA

View Full Version : fenders

pdxmech13
11-03-2005, 03:00 PM
so I have lived in the rainy northwest for a while now and am trying to come up with a way to mount fenders safely on a standard road bike with calipers. I have made several with cutting the fenders in half and then using rack hard ware to bidge over the brake caliper. I have found this to work ok but after a while the brackets break and it dosn't matter what the material is. I used to live in the midwest so road salt was always an issue but out here there really isn't much reason to have a bad rain bike. Well if any one can give me some tips I sure would be interested.

dirtdigger88
11-03-2005, 03:13 PM
How about a ReachAround (http://www.rivercitybicycles.com/product_info.php?cPath=130&products_id=613) from River City

Jason

Serotta_Andrew
11-03-2005, 03:16 PM
I bought these a few years ago and love them. Here on the East Coast they come in handy!!!!

pdxmech13
11-03-2005, 03:17 PM
that is what i have used in the past or something similar sorry if my description wasn't very good. the race blades are somewhat worthless IMHO. maybe that's the only way to do it. I was just thinking with all the great minds here someone mite be doing somethin really unique.

dirtdigger88
11-03-2005, 03:18 PM
build a bike with cantis or centerpulls ;)

Jason

KevinK
11-03-2005, 03:33 PM
If you are intending to use it for commuting, find a frame that takes medium to long reach calipers, then fenders will easily fit under the brakes. My commuter here in Eugene is a steel Mercian Vincitore, fitted with fenders, lights and Campy running gear. Its actually quite usable for winter training rides, too, but since it has a 6-speed freewheel and friction shifters, I don't bring it out on hammerfests.

Kevin

gasman
11-03-2005, 03:52 PM
I have Planet bike full fenders on both my commuter and my road rain bike. They fit, but barely, and I can only use 23's on my road bike (a '96 Litespeed Catalyst). My commuter, a C'dale, has enough clearance for 25's.

I agree that race blades and other less than full coverage fenders don't really work that well.I have tried several over the years. They are also miserable to ride behind; that's why most people who ride in groups have fender extensions to keep their friends happy.

bironi
11-03-2005, 04:58 PM
I too am a Northwesterner (Olympia, Wa). I have a road rain bike with a carbon fork, that makes for a tight fit on the front fender. I have drilled out the rivets that attach the brake mount tab from the fenders so that I can remove it completely. I then drill two holes to allow for a small zip tie looped over the brake bolt. I have done the same for the back wheel. I am able to use 700x23 for clearance. Just remember to pack a couple extra zip ties in your bag. I have also cut some nice flexible mud flaps from old bright red traffic cones. These provide good visibility, and protect my buddies riding my wheel.

I hope this works for you also.

Byron

coylifut
11-03-2005, 05:24 PM
so I have lived in the rainy northwest for a while now and am trying to come up with a way to mount fenders safely on a standard road bike with calipers. I have made several with cutting the fenders in half and then using rack hard ware to bidge over the brake caliper. I have found this to work ok but after a while the brackets break and it dosn't matter what the material is. I used to live in the midwest so road salt was always an issue but out here there really isn't much reason to have a bad rain bike. Well if any one can give me some tips I sure would be interested.

I've never seen a reach around break. The sks fenders tend to crack under tension. the planet bike ones seem to hold up much better. Oh, the race blades, those aren't North West approved.

pdxmech13
11-03-2005, 05:25 PM
brake bolt on inside of fork/ or on the backside of the caliper. also do you find that you need to remove any of the fender material to fit between the forks legs and or caliper.

bcm119
11-03-2005, 05:52 PM
I don't recommend the raceblades either. They aren't long enough in front to keep your feet dry, and they aren't long enough in back to keep your friends dry. Last year I used them all winter, and the grit/sand crept under the rubber pads and damaged the paint on my seatstays. Go with Planet Bikes and Reacharounds, or get a nice old frame with long reach calipers.

vaxn8r
11-03-2005, 07:27 PM
These Oregon folk know their fenders...gasman, coy, bcm and Kevin. Zip ties with Planet Bike and of course extenders. :)

Yeah, it is a compromise of sorts but if you want to do fast group rides on your road bike it is the best alternative and it works fine.

wasfast
11-03-2005, 07:46 PM
The Planet Bike fenders are great. I am still using a pair of SKS fenders with Reacharounds, milk carton extensions and zip ties.

The only issue with the Reacharounds is the small portion of the front fender that extends from the fork forward is pretty springy. If you're riding on any sort of rough road, the fender is vibrating to beat the band. I'm planning on making a stiffener for mine when I have minute.

I also haven't found standard forks that allow the fender and a 23mm tire. I've resorted to closeout 20 mm tires on my last 2 rain bikes. Handling seems just fine and the tires are $5.00 generally as no one uses them anymore.

gasman
11-03-2005, 08:03 PM
KevinK-
do you ever join the Saturday AM rides from the Senior Center ? aka the sheldon ride ?
Dave

pdxmech13
11-03-2005, 08:59 PM
why does everyone feel the feddy fenders are better than ths sks. I know that they are made of polycarbonate but thats about it. Mounting reach arounds are good only on bikes with the "old" style seat stays that are in an A shape. with all the modern organic carbon/alu carbons you can't mount these if they have the mono-stay. Oh and I love zip-ties. Maybe my next bike will have a zip-tie down/top tube so I can take it apart for traveling. I use to know those folks at sling shot maybe they could help. :banana:

Peter
11-03-2005, 09:09 PM
I'd try doubling up on the rack brackets you keep breaking. I had the same thing happen to me this past summer: My taillight was mounted to my rear rack with a seatstay rack bracket. I guess it was flexing and it cracked, and my taillight bounced merrily down the road.

I repaired it by sandwiching two seatstay brackets together, and attaching the taillight to the double bracket. Time will tell whether this lasts.

Unfortunately, as you've found out, most road bikes aren't designed to accommodate fenders, and they could be without a compromise in performance. If you can at all afford it, get yourself a bike that's fender-able. I've owned a fendered bike since 1984 and of my stable of bikes it's still the one I grab 90 percent of the time.

dspang
11-04-2005, 09:59 AM
Here's some photos of my fender solution for my Legend.

Instead of rack hardware I used some aluminum sheet, 1"x1/16" stock out of Lowe's - around $5 for 36". Seems pretty robust but I am concerned about the potential for cracking at the hard 90 degree bend. Pretty easy to fabricate, after this first go around I think I could crank out a pair in less than 5 minutes.

Using these reach arounds, I'm able to fit some 25mm Michelin's on Open 4CDs. The Kestrel fork I have on the Legend is a bit snug and I had to carve the sides of the fenders (Zefals) to maximize clearance, also had to use zip ties to both the front caliper and the fork drop out.

-David

coylifut
11-04-2005, 10:04 AM
Here's some photos of my fender solution for my Legend.

Instead of rack hardware I used some aluminum sheet, 1"x1/16" stock out of Lowe's - around $5 for 36". Seems pretty robust but I am concerned about the potential for cracking at the hard 90 degree bend. Pretty easy to fabricate, after this first go around I think I could crank out a pair in less than 5 minutes.

Using these reach arounds, I'm able to fit some 25mm Michelin's on Open 4CDs. The Kestrel fork I have on the Legend is a bit snug and I had to carve the sides of the fenders (Zefals) to maximize clearance, also had to use zip ties to both the front caliper and the fork drop out.

-David

ok, you got me. where are the shifters on that bike?

dirtdigger88
11-04-2005, 10:05 AM
ok, you got me. where are the shifters on that bike?

Im thinking top mounts- "thumbies"

Jason

dspang
11-04-2005, 10:39 AM
Im thinking top mounts- "thumbies"

Jason

Yep. Here they are, Paul's Thumbies.

Vancouverdave
11-04-2005, 11:23 AM
Freddy fenders can work on some bikes that don't fit SKS fenders because they have a completely round profile--SKS fenders have slight corners that keep them from tucking under many brake calipers and fork "crowns" as tightly. Also, look on Peter White Cycles' website as he is selling a neat specialized brake nut which fits in recessed crowns and brake bridges and allows better-positioned fastening of front fender tabs and rear fender bridge clips. But really, you should look for a wet-weather frame--a bike with no fenders is as worthless as a rock band with no Fenders! Bad joke, sorry;)

dirtdigger88
11-04-2005, 12:36 PM
Yep. Here they are, Paul's Thumbies.

do I win a prize?

Jason

KevinK
11-04-2005, 12:42 PM
KevinK-
do you ever join the Saturday AM rides from the Senior Center ? aka the sheldon ride ?
Dave

I've not been out on the Campbell Center rides, I did Newman's on Sunday, and then I ride with some EWEB/Hutch's masters during the week. I was planning to do the Campbell ride this Saturday, but the weather outlook is pretty bad.

Kevin