PDA

View Full Version : Trek CrossRip

1/2 Wheeler
01-27-2013, 10:40 PM
I must have been living in a cave for the last year or so. When did this come out and has anyone ridden one.

I kinda like it.

http://brimages.bikeboardmedia.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/2013-Trek-Crossrip-disc-brake-cyclocross-commuter-bike1.jpg

spaced_ghost
01-27-2013, 10:42 PM
no, but i'm curious, too. I think I'm down to deciding between that, the Ion CX, the Madone 2.1, or a Surly Pacer or Cross Check for my new commuter.

robin3mj
01-28-2013, 06:41 AM
no, but i'm curious, too. I think I'm down to deciding between that, the Ion CX, the Madone 2.1, or a Surly Pacer or Cross Check for my new commuter.

I was hoping this year they'd have the Ion CX with discs, which would have made a nice commuter and weekend racer. But instead, both Trek and Kona went in this direction, which I feel was already served in many ways by Salsa. These appear to have a geometry that really only shines on dirt roads, but the pricepoint parts indicate that the true target market is someone who wants disc brakes and doesn't really care about much else...

csm
01-28-2013, 06:11 PM
Salsa isn't big enough to service the market. Trek is almost too big though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

that guy
01-28-2013, 06:14 PM
It's a do-it-all commuter. Makes perfect sense to me.

I'd wager 3/4 of all "cyclocross" bikes are never raced anyway, so why not sell a product that is designed for what it's used for?

spaced_ghost
01-28-2013, 07:59 PM
I just checked out a CAADX 105, and although it's a couple hundred more, it slaughters that Crossrip in almost every conceivable way, disc or not.

1/2 Wheeler
01-28-2013, 09:57 PM
I just checked out a CAADX 105, and although it's a couple hundred more, it slaughters that Crossrip in almost every conceivable way, disc or not.

I have always been a Cdale Fanboy but in what ways does the Cdale Slaughter the CrossRip?

spaced_ghost
01-28-2013, 10:29 PM
"slaughter" was probably a bit of hyperbole. I got a little excited after riding it.

so I would say the CAADX 105 compares more with the crossrip elite, based on specs, stopping power, etc, after riding all three. Base Crossrip has 2300 8 speed, elite has 9 speed Sora. caadx has 105 10spd. all three have formula hubs to in-house rims. both crossrips have, imo, terribly s***ty tires. Caadx has good Schwalbes. Treks have those weird proprietary fender mounts, Caadx has solid, traditional mounts. CaadX has bb30.

In person, it's REALLY evident that the CAADX is just built better. the welds are cleaner, all the details have more attention paid to them. The Treks, like all the entry-ish/commuter level Treks I've seen, just look cheap. and IMO, the CAADX looks WAY better in person. I was unimpressed with images, but in person, it's a sweet looking ride.

but the real difference was the ride. No comparison, IMO. the CAADX felt comfortable, yet fast. really solid, handled well, stiff for sprints but stable, just great overall. the Treks weren't terrible, but kind of meh. For me, it's no question after riding. The shifting was better, the braking was better, and most importantly, the going fast was better. Yeah, it kind of sucks that to get to disc on the CAADX, you have to pay $2100 or so, but it comes with an upgrade to Ultegra. For me, the CAADX is it, now it's just a matter of shopping around for a deal.