PDA

View Full Version : Ever dread a bike ride thread: jax tonight--Tampa Wednesday?!?

spiderman
01-27-2013, 07:52 PM
My wife and I are being Luther college/Nordic choir stalkers this week. Our daughter is a senior and the choir is on their interim tour! I cleared my schedule because its the twentieth anniversary of my residency graduation from navhospnasjax...the choir sings tomorrow night in Jacksonville. When we left this week we had enjoyed a -27 wind chill...when we arrived the temp was 72 balmy degrees. I have traveled with a bike the last ten years but for a variety of reasons...primarily my wife finding a vrbo on Amelia island plantation that included bikes...I packed a small overnight bag and didn't even bring an Allen wrench. Consequently, I was dreading getting out on the bike today. However, the two of us had a blast tooling around the plantation, buying mangos, having gourmet lunch and taking the street cruisers for a get to know you tour of the island...a dozen pretty sweet miles...truth be told!

AngryScientist
01-27-2013, 08:05 PM
spidey, i gotta tell you, your winter thread posts simply inspire me, you're cut from a stronger cloth than I.

I had to go to a meeting for our bike club this morning, and the meeting was 6 miles from my house. it was 24 degrees out when i left the house, but i figured no self respecting cyclist can DRIVE 6 miles to a bike club meeting so i saddled up the fixie and took off. burrrrrrrr.

tell you what though, i dreaded going out there, pedaling into the frigid breeze, but 2 miles in, i was warmed up and LOVING it.

overcoming the initial dread, that's what it's all about.

well, that and not visiting Florida in the middle of the winter;)

Ken Robb
01-27-2013, 09:01 PM
Lutherans give good choir.

bironi
01-27-2013, 11:50 PM
My wife and I are being Luther college/Nordic choir stalkers this week. Our daughter is a senior and the choir is on their interim tour! I cleared my schedule because its the twentieth anniversary of my residency graduation from navhospnasjax...the choir sings tomorrow night in Jacksonville. When we left this week we had enjoyed a -27 wind chill...when we arrived the temp was 72 balmy degrees. I have traveled with a bike the last ten years but for a variety of reasons...primarily my wife finding a vrbo on Amelia island plantation that included bikes...I packed a small overnight bag and didn't even bring an Allen wrench. Consequently, I was dreading getting out on the bike today. However, the two of us had a blast tooling around the plantation, buying mangos, having gourmet lunch and taking the street cruisers for a get to know you tour of the island...a dozen pretty sweet miles...truth be told!

That is the right attitude. Enjoy that warmth you bstrd.:beer:

spiderman
01-28-2013, 11:21 AM
Lutherans give good choir.

If you are in Jacksonville tonight or Tampa Wednesday--we can meet and concert tickets are on me! Send me a pm and I'll meet you at the door--better yet we can meet for dinner...
http://reason.luther.edu/music/assets/Nordic_Choir_Tour_Program_2013.pdf

Ralph
01-28-2013, 11:45 AM
Can't beat Florida this time of year. Lots of great places to ride.

Keith A
01-28-2013, 01:20 PM
Hey spidey -- Welcome to Florida! It's been extra warm this year and I've rarely had to put on anything more than arm warmers. BTW, are you planning on stopping off in Central Florida at all? I'd love to meet you guys...but I'm on the opposite coast from Tampa.

jr59
01-28-2013, 01:58 PM
Don't know where you are going in Tampa, but the part of Fl you are in now is outstanding! Enjoy yourself!

spiderman
01-28-2013, 02:25 PM
Hey spidey -- Welcome to Florida! It's been extra warm this year and I've rarely had to put on anything more than arm warmers. BTW, are you planning on stopping off in Central Florida at all? I'd love to meet you guys...but I'm on the opposite coast from Tampa.

Then cruising to the concert Wednesday in Tampa on I4...
Gorgeous ride today on the island to the southern point and back on trail...

Keith A
01-28-2013, 02:29 PM
Sounds good. Would have been nice to meet, but it doesn't look like it's in the cards this time.

spiderman
01-29-2013, 09:57 AM
Sounds good. Would have been nice to meet, but it doesn't look like it's in the cards this time.

Sure has felt warm...beach time has been a balm to my spirit!

Nooch
01-29-2013, 10:01 AM
I usually dread every home-bound commute during the winter.. something about suiting up and going outside after sitting in a climate controlled office for 9 hours, fighting cars in the dark.... eh, but the ride in is worth the ride home..

tonight I think I'll take the 'hilly' detour..

Keith A
01-29-2013, 03:31 PM
Sure has felt warm...beach time has been a balm to my spirit!Glad you've enjoyed your visit. I think I'd dry up and wither away if I couldn't spend time at the beach and in the water.

FL_MarkD
01-29-2013, 08:59 PM
Weather was beautiful today in the Tampa area. Unfortunately a cold front is coming for the weekend and it will be near 45 Saturday morning. Way too cold to ride :bike: . I will have to wait until midday to get in a ride.

Hope you enjoyed your stay. Amelia Island is a great place to visit and there are some nice rides on the island and south through the island parks.

Mark

Ralph
01-29-2013, 09:10 PM
There is a Panera's on the trail about 7 miles from my house. Lots of rides stop by there or end there. Always a bunch of cyclists there. It'll be cool this weekend so imagine the place will be crowded with folks having some morning coffee. Cycling is big around here. It's rare to have a day you can't get in a ride.