PDA

View Full Version : OT: For the drip coffee lovers...

SoCalSteve
01-27-2013, 01:40 PM
The Clover machine (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntbVGGMu_Ac) is $11,000.00 and is only available at Starbucks now as they bought the company and patent.

The next closest thing (for the home barista) is this: the Bunn Trifecta MB (http://www.bunnathome.com/products/trifecta). Its much cheaper and supposedly very close to the Clover in making a great cup of coffee.

Match it with one of these: Baratza Vario grinder (http://www.chriscoffee.com/products/home/grinders/variow) and you should be good to go to make an unbelievable cup of drip coffee...

Oh, dont forget this: Great fresh roasted coffee beans (http://www.klatchroasting.com/Don_Pachi_Geisha_p/pan_don_pac_nat_gei.htm) or this: more great beans (http://www.jamaicancoffee.com/) or this: More beans (http://www.konamountaincoffee.com/Kona-Coffee/roasted-kona-coffee.html?trans_id=10026&gclid=CJCZivukibUCFexxQgodlngA4g)

Enjoy!

Steve

Gummee
01-27-2013, 02:07 PM
Bunn? Sure.

Individually brewed cups? Pass.

I like the fact that Bunns are pretty much instantaneous pots of coffee. Its done brewing before my toast pops up. Handy. I'm not the most pleasant person in the AM till there's coffee in me.

M

SoCalSteve
01-27-2013, 02:19 PM
Bunn? Sure.

Individually brewed cups? Pass.

I like the fact that Bunns are pretty much instantaneous pots of coffee. Its done brewing before my toast pops up. Handy. I'm not the most pleasant person in the AM till there's coffee in me.

M

Your missing the point completely. This is for someone who wants a cup of coffee that is unique, hand crafted and beyond delicious...Not a cup of "joe"...:no:

Gummee
01-27-2013, 02:19 PM
Your missing the point completely. This is for someone who wants a cup of coffee that is unique, hand crafted and beyond delicious...Not a cup of "joe"...:no:

Ahh. Sorry. Carry on.

I'm not that guy

M

rugbysecondrow
01-27-2013, 02:22 PM
Being from Springfield, IL I have always been a supporter of BUNN and that is what I use now. I have thought about switching just because I don't like the heating element being on all the time and the energy it uses. Since I am the only coffee drinker in my home, when I travel, the water in the unit evaporates so i have to run a cycle of water through to fill up the resevoir.

All that being said, $500 is too rich for my meager coffee needs, but the Bunn Phased units might be just the ticket.

Thanks Steve.

false_Aest
01-27-2013, 03:00 PM

Is each cup unique or is it more like an edition of uniqueness? Kind've like buying etchings.

Regardless, considering that there are places selling pour-over coffee for $4.00 each this is a great deal. If you drink 1 cup a day, you're making money around week 18. College costs way more and I still haven't seen a return like that.

maxdog
01-27-2013, 03:06 PM
Does this mean SB will actually have good coffee? Very skeptical. I'm not sure why one can't play with water temp, brewing time, etc... with a french press. Good coffee is mostly about good beans that have been properly roasted anyway. That is were I'll put my money.

SoCalSteve
01-27-2013, 03:10 PM
Is each cup unique or is it more like an edition of uniqueness? Kind've like buying etchings.

Regardless, considering that there are places selling pour-over coffee for $4.00 each this is a great deal. If you drink 1 cup a day, you're making money around week 18. College costs way more and I still haven't seen a return like that.

Either or...you can adjust the time, grind, agitation, amount of water and amount of coffee...if you find the perfect combination for you, you can recreate it over and over again, or you can make each cup unique. Your choice. But unlike a drip coffee maker, this gives you lots and lots of variables to choose from.

And yes, as the price of GOOD coffee keeps going up, this will pay for itself over time in $$$ and convenience.

SoCalSteve
01-27-2013, 03:13 PM
Does this mean SB will actually have good coffee? Very skeptical. I'm not sure why one can't play with water temp, brewing time, etc... with a french press. Good coffee is mostly about good beans that have been properly roasted anyway. That is were I'll put my money.

In theory, you would think so as they now have the ability to adjust many variables. In practice, they don't use the machine nearly to its capabilities. Not even close, actually...but they do charge big $$$ for the experience of watching the machine in action...it is fun to watch.

CaptStash
01-27-2013, 09:05 PM
Our local bakery had one o fhte earlier Clover machines from before SB bought the company. While the coffee was definitley better, I still think the best cup comes from a French Press. For single cupping, it's hard to beat a small portable drip funnel and paper filter. Keep it simple and but great beans.

CaptStash....

P.S.: If you are in Long Beach, CA, I highly recommend Polly's Gourmet Coffee on 2nd Street. They have been roasting their own beans for decades and pre-date Starbucks. My favorite French Roast of all time.

veggieburger
01-27-2013, 09:16 PM
Melitta pour-over. About $5 and makes an exceptional cup.

spaced_ghost
01-27-2013, 10:32 PM
good beans and a pour-over or a french press with the water at the right temp, and you really don't need anything else. I used to work at a shop that had a Clover back when they came out. what a PIA. all it is, is an inverted, mechanized french press.

bargainguy
01-27-2013, 10:47 PM
Just a friendly FYI for anyone who drinks French press coffee unfiltered.

When I found about this, I was flabbergasted. Good thing I only did a few cups of French press coffee unfiltered before finding out.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/06/070614162223.htm

RkyMtn
01-27-2013, 10:49 PM
If you ain't got good beans, it don't mean a thing....

http://www.bluemountaincoffee.com/

JLP
01-27-2013, 11:02 PM
Clever coffee dripper. $20 for the best cup this side of the Pecos.

http://www.amazon.com/ABID-CO-LTD-C-70888-Dripper/dp/B0047W70GY

Kirk007
01-28-2013, 12:05 AM

When I found about this, I was flabbergasted. Good thing I only did a few cups of French press coffee unfiltered before finding out.

Hmmm. Guess I'm lucky to have naturally low cholesterol cause its been multiple espressos for 2 decades with no noticeable rise...

EricEstlund
01-28-2013, 12:35 AM
Indeed- I probably have more espresso then blood in my veins, and my cholesterol is anything but high.

Never a huge fan of most pour overs. I had a few cups from a Clover when they were all the rage here in Oregon. I felt like it was more about the machine then what came out of it. Different strokes and all that.

djg
01-28-2013, 07:09 AM

So we run out and buy expensive equipment from Starbucks, a vast chain that makes coffee that is . . . I mean, a little better than it used to be, but . . .

Andrewlcox
01-28-2013, 09:03 AM
Clever coffee dripper. $20 for the best cup this side of the Pecos.

http://www.amazon.com/ABID-CO-LTD-C-70888-Dripper/dp/B0047W70GY

There are some videos out there showing the science behind that thing. The baristas weigh their water and use a thermometer, they weigh their coffee and use a stopwatch to brew their coffee. I have it on my wish list but need to run out of my coffee crystals before I try that thing.

William
01-28-2013, 09:12 AM
I know a few folks out there that swear by their Aeropress.

http://aerobie.com/images/aero_press_03.jpg

http://www.frcndigital.com/coffee/AeroPress/Aeropress4e.jpg

William

krismac23
01-28-2013, 09:16 AM
still think the best cup comes from a French Press. For single cupping, it's hard to beat a small portable drip funnel and paper filter. Keep it simple...

Ditto on French press. Simple easy and taste great! I'd rather spend that kind of money on a. Nice espresso machine.

SoCalSteve
01-28-2013, 09:24 AM
So we run out and buy expensive equipment from Starbucks, a vast chain that makes coffee that is . . . I mean, a little better than it used to be, but . . .

Missing the point...SB's doesn't sell the Clover. But, you can get close to it with the Bunn Trifecta MB, good beans that are NOT from SB's and a decent grinder...

You can do the pour over thing, aero press or French press, but the Trifecta takes a lot of the time, labor and guesswork out of the process and from what the experts say, makes a great cup of coffee.

maxdog
01-28-2013, 10:20 AM
If you ain't got good beans, it don't mean a thing....

http://www.bluemountaincoffee.com/

+1
Some of the consistently best roasts I've had, especially the Ethiopian originated.

maxdog
01-28-2013, 10:28 AM

Thanks for the link.

spaced_ghost
01-28-2013, 11:43 AM
Thanks for the link.

seems like one of those things where if the amount coffee raises your cholesterol is a problem, you have bigger problems elsewhere in your diet.

bargainguy
01-28-2013, 01:41 PM
Perhaps, but if you have a genetic predisposition toward high cholesterol no matter your diet, and maybe taking a statin (lipitor etc.) on top of that, drinking unfiltered coffee ain't helping you any.

mister
01-28-2013, 02:13 PM

lol
i wouldn't worry too much about that study
i've been on a 1-3 big shots of espresso per day avg. for the last 4 or 5 years
and my cholesterol levels are excellent

boxerboxer
01-28-2013, 02:30 PM
lol
i wouldn't worry too much about that study
i've been on a 1-3 big shots of espresso per day avg. for the last 4 or 5 years
and my cholesterol levels are excellent

I'll always take a good anecdote over hard science :banana:

But I do think it's probably true that this is not an issue for people with healthy cholesterol to begin with, which is probably what you're getting at :)

boxerboxer
01-28-2013, 02:44 PM

It's pretty great, especially at a price tag of ~$30.

CDollarsign
01-28-2013, 02:54 PM
I think the Aeropress is a gimmick. Its clunky and really doesn't make that great of a cup. If you want to extract with pressure get an espresso machine. I brew great cups daily with a Hario V60, wouldn't have it any other way...

mister
01-28-2013, 03:12 PM
^ yea that

i got a little sick last weekend so i let the espresso machine chill
and i've been spending time with the french press again
a nice change actually, been enjoying the french press alot
especially with the ethiopia amaro gayo beans a local roaster gave me, excellent

Kirk007
01-28-2013, 03:29 PM
I think the Aeropress is a gimmick. Its clunky and really doesn't make that great of a cup. If you want to extract with pressure get an espresso machine. I brew great cups daily with a Hario V60, wouldn't have it any other way...

a great cup depends on context and what the options are, at least for me. In a hotel room is some hole in the wall town (or even in a big metro hotel in most of the country), I think the aeropress delivers a great cup. For me that old American Express adage applies.... I don't find anything gimmicky about it, and if my Vibiemme Manuale isn't warmed up and I need a cuppa, I've no qualms or complaints with the aeropress product.

goonster
01-28-2013, 03:31 PM
I think the Aeropress is a gimmick. Its clunky and really doesn't make that great of a cup.
You are entitled to your opinion, but I disagree on all counts.

It makes a very decent cup with the right dosage, temperature, extraction time, and dilution volume. There's the option of paper vs. Able disk, and I vary them depending on coffee and mood.

Where it really shines is on the road. Since a Porlex grinder fits inside the plunger, this makes a packable kit that can't be beat for size.

brockd15
01-28-2013, 03:37 PM
My favorite coffee comes from Sonic. :eek:

arcadian
01-28-2013, 04:00 PM

I wouldn't go so far as to call it a gimmick. It isn't espresso, but it makes a nice cup of coffee. I do prefer pour over. I don't think I could afford to use an Aeropress as my main coffee making mechanism. Thing just eats coffee.

stev0
01-28-2013, 07:21 PM
In theory, you would think so as they now have the ability to adjust many variables. In practice, they don't use the machine nearly to its capabilities. Not even close, actually...but they do charge big $$$ for the experience of watching the machine in action...it is fun to watch.

FWIW, I think this is should be the key point for consideration. Hands-down, the greatest thing about the bygone Clover coffee company and its $11,000 machine was that they required you to show up and be trained on the machine's use before you were allowed to actually take it. The Clover machine gives the user an unparalleled degree of the brew, but is subject to user error just as much as any other brewing method. And it's for that very reason that experienced coffeeheads and baristas alike don't have many wet-dreams about the 1S. Your v60, Chemex, Aeropress, all have the potential to make the same cup. Might as well buy every other brewer, a nice grinder, and a year's worth of coffee with a few stacks of cash left on the table.

That being said, it's interesting to watch someone make you a coffee on a Clover. At least, the first few times. And I've had more than a few divine cups made from them. But I've also had a few bad clover brews, and just as many good ones from other brewing methods.

lukasz
01-28-2013, 07:30 PM

It isn't espresso. It's a pour over (which is marketing bs-speak for "pouring water over coffee grounds just like grandpa does") with a bit more control.

The best part about the aeropress is how portable it is. I take a Porlex mini and an aeropress on vacation with me. The grinder fits inside the aeropress.

JLP
01-28-2013, 08:34 PM
Yeah, while I use the Clever more often, I'm also a fan of the Aeropress. I like drinking what I consider to be great coffee wherever I happen to be.

RkyMtn
01-29-2013, 12:32 AM
Ok, this is one of the few threads I have really enjoyed reading, lately.

Questions: Does the Clover have a water filtration system in it? At home, I French press and use Deep Rock water. I do find that the water being used has an effect.

Does anyone else have opinions on this?

And keep the recommendations on home Espresso machines coming. I would like to get one, but it is either sell a bike or risk $ for new components on a POS plastic espresso machine.

Definitely getting an Aeropress for the road.

Also, I overheard a guy at a coffee shop (not Charbucks) saying that a coffee grinder that cuts the beans with blades is not as good as a grinder that compresses the beans and crushes them into pieces. I was thinking that maybe this guy's statement might have some credibility in that crushing the bean with pressure might bring out oils that enhance flavor. Any thoughts on this and grinders that can be recommended?

SoCalSteve
01-29-2013, 12:46 AM

Questions: Does the Clover have a water filtration system in it? At home, I French press and use Deep Rock water. I do find that the water being used has an effect.

And keep the recommendations on home Espresso machines coming. I would like to get one, but it is either sell a bike or risk $ for new components on a POS plastic espresso machine.

Also, I overheard a guy at a coffee shop (not Charbucks) saying that a coffee grinder that cuts the beans with blades is not as good as a grinder that compresses the beans and crushes them into pieces. I was thinking that maybe this guy's statement might have some credibility in that crushing the bean with pressure might bring out oils that enhance flavor. Any thoughts on this and grinders that can be recommended?

The Clover is plumbed. Where SB's gets their water from and if they filter it first are 2 questions I cannot answer.

Spend a decent amount on an expresso machine. It's an investment. And, yes, the way the beans are ground is actually more important than the expresso or drip machine...

Baratza makes a very nice grinder. The Vario is their best one. And, the Vario W has a built in scale...a really nice feature.

arcadian
01-29-2013, 06:52 AM

Burr grinder is better than a blade grinder. Burr grinds consistent size grinds. Better more consistent extraction from more consistent grind size. Critical in espresso, but important for any coffee.

rugbysecondrow
01-29-2013, 07:03 AM
Funny, I actually bought an aeropress about 3 years ago but never used it, forgot about it completely. I need to give it a shot tonight.

bargainguy
01-29-2013, 07:25 AM
Another vote for burr grinders.

Inexpensive recommendation: Cuisinart DBM-8. We have two. Got the first one at a warehouse club for around $30 at the time.

redir
01-29-2013, 09:17 AM
I like a nicely seasoned moka pot for making coffee.

goonster
01-29-2013, 09:35 AM
Funny, I actually bought an aeropress about 3 years ago but never used it, forgot about it completely. I need to give it a shot tonight.
Sweet Maria's youtube overview is highly recommended:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtD8u9oSG4A

I consider what comes out of the aeropress to be a concentrated filtrate, and dilute with approx. 30% add'l water.

Kirk007
01-29-2013, 12:27 PM
Second Steve's recommendation on the Baratza Vario. Just got one two days ago (early Valentine's gift - thank you SO). I like the Vario - W idea but have heard there's still some bugs to work out. With the Vario you can program three different grind times, so once you get the grind down for what you want you set it and hit the button. For me it's nice to have one variable held constant. It is also fairly quiet, compact and keeps the mess to a minimum. It is also very well reviewed and seems to hold its own against much more expensive grinders.

For home machines, I suggest you consider a Vibiemme. The Domobar super, even the heat exchange machine is very nice; well constructed, built with a Faema 61 grouphead .... You can get more involved but this is a nice step above so of the more commonly available machines.

Go to: http://www.espressocare.com/VibiemmeDetails.html. Stefano is a good guy; knows his business, hails from the land of true espresso - Milano, rides a "real bike" - motoguzzi, and once told me that if he doesn't clean his macchina (the espresso machine, not the motoguzzi) each Sunday he feels guilty....

rides2slow
02-19-2013, 11:28 AM
Another vote for burr grinders.

Inexpensive recommendation: Cuisinart DBM-8. We have two. Got the first one at a warehouse club for around $30 at the time.

Any other experience/thoughts on this Cuisinart or other inexpensive burr grinders??

n_maher
02-19-2013, 12:17 PM
Any other experience/thoughts on this Cuisinart or other inexpensive burr grinders??

I use a Bodum Bistro (http://www.amazon.com/Bodum-Bistro-Electric-Coffee-Grinder/dp/B0043095WW) and love it. In the summer I use it to cold-brew large batches and in the winter a cup at a time with the 16oz French Press (also a Bodum). Not cheap at $120 but worth it IMO.

Also, I second the it requires good beans comment. You can't make good coffee from bad beans. I get all my stuff from Old Bisbee Roasters (http://www.oldbisbeeroasters.com/). Order it 2lbs at a time and you get free shipping and it doens't cost any more than buying a pound from my local Starbucks and is far better.

572cv
02-19-2013, 12:36 PM

http://aerobie.com/images/aero_press_03.jpg

http://www.frcndigital.com/coffee/AeroPress/Aeropress4e.jpg

William

This. But to prepare the proper grind, this:
http://www.kitchenaid.com/flash.cmd?/#/product/KPCG100OB/

If you grind the coffee at the finest, the aerobie makes a super concentrated coffee, easily diluted to taste as desired. It may not be $11,000 but a very aromatic and satisfying cup can be produced.

Ken C
02-19-2013, 12:39 PM

Depends on what you are using them for, many of them work well enough for drip, pour over, and french press (although some struggle to grind course enough without many of the fines).

I prefer drip coffee. I had the Cuisinart, but was not quite getting the results I wanted so I upgraded to the Capresso Infinity. For drip coffee, it works pretty well. I use it with a Bonavita 1800TH coffee maker and I am really happy with the results.

I think the non-stainless version is 89.95, I used a 20% coupon on BB&B which brought the price down to about $70. Many people rate the Infinity as the best burr grinder under $100. The stainless version is about $130 and for that price the Barazata Encore would be a better option.

I had my eye on the Barazatta Encore. I think this would be best cost/benefit for drip style brewing. I will probably upgrade to this when my Capresso craps out some day.

For espresso most of the cheaper burr grinders will struggle.

rides2slow
02-19-2013, 04:22 PM
Thanks. Great info.
I tend to make drip in the morning and then use my Aeropress later in the day.
I've been grinding with blades and am going to change to a burr grinder.

How good/bad are the beans at Costco? Maybe I shouldn't admit it but I've been happy with them.

rugbysecondrow
02-19-2013, 06:24 PM
Depends on what you are using them for, many of them work well enough for drip, pour over, and french press (although some struggle to grind course enough without many of the fines).

I prefer drip coffee. I had the Cuisinart, but was not quite getting the results I wanted so I upgraded to the Capresso Infinity. For drip coffee, it works pretty well. I use it with a Bonavita 1800TH coffee maker and I am really happy with the results.

I think the non-stainless version is 89.95, I used a 20% coupon on BB&B which brought the price down to about $70. Many people rate the Infinity as the best burr grinder under $100. The stainless version is about $130 and for that price the Barazata Encore would be a better option.

I had my eye on the Barazatta Encore. I think this would be best cost/benefit for drip style brewing. I will probably upgrade to this when my Capresso craps out some day.

For espresso most of the cheaper burr grinders will struggle.

I am looking at getting the Bonavita. It seems like a great product at half the price of the Technivorm, which is also supposed to be a great product as well.

Have you been happy with the coffee as well as the quality of the Bonavita.

merlincustom1
02-19-2013, 09:23 PM
Moccamaster and Virtuoso here.

Birddog
02-20-2013, 06:53 AM
I have one. It's better than a blade chopper but that's about it. It is messy and what drives me nuts is that it always leaves a very finely ground plug on one corner of the bin. It does a little better with lighter roasts. I grind mostly Sumatran or French roasts and the oily beans contribute to this phenomenon. For $50 or $60 bucks I guess it is worth it and I haven't felt the need to move up to the "next level", so perhaps my complaints ring hollow.

bart998
02-20-2013, 08:15 AM
A sink top mount hot water dispenser (filtered water of course), and a french press maker. Doesn't get any better or faster than that. Make sure you grind the coffee a little coarser for the french press.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=hot+water+dispensers+for+kitchen&qpvt=hot+water+dispensers+for+kitchen&FORM=IGRE#view=detail&id=4535CBFEFE2B2FDE8894D11BCD27472E2633ACCB&selectedIndex=2

http://www.bing.com/shopping/chambord-192816us6-french-press-coffee-maker-8-cup-stainless-steel/p/4DFD4186B3A59D6CD8A2?q=french+press+coffee+makers&lpq=french%20press%20coffee%20makers&FORM=HURE

Ken C
02-20-2013, 11:42 AM
I am looking at getting the Bonavita. It seems like a great product at half the price of the Technivorm, which is also supposed to be a great product as well.

Have you been happy with the coffee as well as the quality of the Bonavita.

I have been more than happy with it. It makes great coffee, very easy to use. As regards to quality, I have no complaints, but I have only had it for about three months. I know some people complain it does not appear to be as robust as the TV, but from the outside they look comparable as far as quality goes. The difference would be that the TV has a copper element while the BV has an aluminum one. I doubt it makes too much difference in reliability, but would make a small difference in temp control. I think the TV is a little better at holding a flat 200 brew temp. The BV may vary a little more between 195-205.

It is a simple machine, but hits all the marks: water temp, brew time, grind saturation is great, and the thermos carafe hold temps very well. Plus I think the thermal version with the stainless carafe looks great on my counter. I did read a lot of reviews on coffeegeek and amazon and universally it got great marks on brewing performance. Some complained that the glass shattered in the carafe, but I wonder if there may have been a bad batch of carafes or that some people ran cold water in a hot carafe. I always let the carafe sit for a couple of minutes before rinsing. No problems so far, but replacement carafes are easy to get.

One thing I like (and some may not), is that the filter holder sits directly on the carafe. It makes it easy to pull the carafe, remove the filter holder and dump the grinds. On previous makers where the filter holder sits in a holder connected to the machine I would sometimes get lazy and leave used filters and grinds in the machine. In the BV the brewed coffee only comes in contact with the filter holder and the carafe. My machine has stayed very clean as a result. Some people may not like that you have to find a place to put the filter holder when you put the carafe top on.

I extensively researched coffee makers before my purchase and narrowed it down to: Bunn Phase Brew HT (way to many complaints in reliability), the BV 1800TH, the Technivorm (too expensive) and the Brehmor Brazen.

The Brehmor Brazen looks really cool. I like the idea of being able to program a pre soak and manually set the brewing temp, but it would not fit under my cabinets and was a little more expensive than the BV. At $149 I think the BV is a great coffee maker. Time will tell if the durability is good, but the machine has been sold in Europe under the Melitta brand for years.

Hope that helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Ken

rugbysecondrow
02-20-2013, 09:36 PM
Thanks, I think I am following exactly in your path. :)

I want to support the Bunn as they are made in my hometown, but the reliability issues spooked me. I am too cheap to pay for the Technivorm, especially since it seems the coffee is equally as good with the Bonavita.

I expect to place an order this week.

Thanks,

Paul

I have been more than happy with it. It makes great coffee, very easy to use. As regards to quality, I have no complaints, but I have only had it for about three months. I know some people complain it does not appear to be as robust as the TV, but from the outside they look comparable as far as quality goes. The difference would be that the TV has a copper element while the BV has an aluminum one. I doubt it makes too much difference in reliability, but would make a small difference in temp control. I think the TV is a little better at holding a flat 200 brew temp. The BV may vary a little more between 195-205.

It is a simple machine, but hits all the marks: water temp, brew time, grind saturation is great, and the thermos carafe hold temps very well. Plus I think the thermal version with the stainless carafe looks great on my counter. I did read a lot of reviews on coffeegeek and amazon and universally it got great marks on brewing performance. Some complained that the glass shattered in the carafe, but I wonder if there may have been a bad batch of carafes or that some people ran cold water in a hot carafe. I always let the carafe sit for a couple of minutes before rinsing. No problems so far, but replacement carafes are easy to get.

One thing I like (and some may not), is that the filter holder sits directly on the carafe. It makes it easy to pull the carafe, remove the filter holder and dump the grinds. On previous makers where the filter holder sits in a holder connected to the machine I would sometimes get lazy and leave used filters and grinds in the machine. In the BV the brewed coffee only comes in contact with the filter holder and the carafe. My machine has stayed very clean as a result. Some people may not like that you have to find a place to put the filter holder when you put the carafe top on.

I extensively researched coffee makers before my purchase and narrowed it down to: Bunn Phase Brew HT (way to many complaints in reliability), the BV 1800TH, the Technivorm (too expensive) and the Brehmor Brazen.

The Brehmor Brazen looks really cool. I like the idea of being able to program a pre soak and manually set the brewing temp, but it would not fit under my cabinets and was a little more expensive than the BV. At $149 I think the BV is a great coffee maker. Time will tell if the durability is good, but the machine has been sold in Europe under the Melitta brand for years.

Hope that helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Ken

boxerboxer
02-21-2013, 12:31 PM
A sink top mount hot water dispenser (filtered water of course), and a french press maker. Doesn't get any better or faster than that. Make sure you grind the coffee a little coarser for the french press.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=hot+water+dispensers+for+kitchen&qpvt=hot+water+dispensers+for+kitchen&FORM=IGRE#view=detail&id=4535CBFEFE2B2FDE8894D11BCD27472E2633ACCB&selectedIndex=2

http://www.bing.com/shopping/chambord-192816us6-french-press-coffee-maker-8-cup-stainless-steel/p/4DFD4186B3A59D6CD8A2?q=french+press+coffee+makers&lpq=french%20press%20coffee%20makers&FORM=HURE

That's my setup at work, and I really dig it other than not being able to control the temp. The heat is not well regulated and if someone else has just filled up their mug it's a lot cooler.