PDA

View Full Version : Commuting 40 Miles to Work on a Bike, With Thermals and Fleece

BobbyJones
01-27-2013, 10:52 AM
Looks like we have another celebrity in our midst:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/27/nyregion/commuting-40-miles-to-work-on-a-bike-with-thermals-and-fleece.html?_r=0

rphetteplace
01-27-2013, 11:09 AM
Cool article. Much respect Christian.

MIN
01-27-2013, 11:41 AM
Christian - you are a stud. I was here to post this...

MattTuck
01-27-2013, 03:15 PM
Christian, you're like a walking billboard! Capo, Zanc, Assos... are you getting paid for all that product placement? ;)

PS. That's a hell of a commute. Chapeau.

slidey
01-27-2013, 03:23 PM
Dang it, that's awesome!

Kudos to you brave sir :)

christian
01-27-2013, 03:50 PM
Christian, you're like a walking billboard! Capo, Zanc, Assos... are you getting paid for all that product placement?I did ride the Zanc on purpose that day. Because I love that bike and hoped Mike would get a couple hits off it.

The other stuff they asked about. But man, the Fuguhelm... Have I told you about the Fuguhelm?

BTW, it's not at all as hardcore as they make it sound -- I usually ride in on Mondays and back on Tuesdays and so on. I have locked bike parking at work, which really really helps.

LJohnny
01-27-2013, 04:00 PM
The other stuff they asked about. But man, the Fuguhelm... Have I told you about the Fuguhelm?

Is it that nice? I had one on my "cart" the other day and dropped and subs it with the Fugu face mask.

mike p
01-27-2013, 04:02 PM
Great read! Way to go Christian! A true ambassador to our sport!

Mike

christian
01-27-2013, 04:03 PM
Yeah, it's actually stupidly nice. I would say that if you already have a Vermarc mutt hat, it's only 25% better, so probably not worth the additional cost, but if starting from scratch with winter headgear, I'd just get a Fuguhelm to start and be done with it.

cat6
01-27-2013, 04:06 PM
The story takes place on the planet Grool, a planet inhabited by mostly short, anthropomorphous felines. The idyllic and mundane lifestyle of the feline aliens is interrupted when an alien invader known as Kat of Nine Tails kidnaps Grool's sentient populace, inadvertently leaving one of them, Squeak, behind. Shortly after, Squeak encounters a human boy known only as Bubble who agrees to rescue Squeak's captured populace.

LJohnny
01-27-2013, 04:09 PM
Yeah, it's actually stupidly nice. I would say that if you already have a Vermarc mutt hat, it's only 25% better, so probably not worth the additional cost, but if starting from scratch with winter headgear, I'd just get a Fuguhelm to start and be done with it.

Well, let me see how I fare with the Fugu mask thing. My real weak points are feet and hands.

But, coming back to the matter at hand here, congrats on the NYT piece!

vav
01-27-2013, 04:40 PM
Extraordinarily awesome!! :hello:

Louis
01-27-2013, 04:48 PM
Christian, you're like a walking billboard! Capo, Zanc, Assos... are you getting paid for all that product placement? ;)

The giveaway would have been a Rapha gilet, had he been wearing one. Since he wasn't, it must have been legit. ;)

Llewellyn
01-27-2013, 05:58 PM
Now that is hardcore. Chapeau :hello:

roguedog
01-27-2013, 08:37 PM
Wow. I applaud you. You humble me :)

Also, really? Wool baselayer, a long sleeve jersey (was this thermal at least??) and a vest. That's it? I think I'd be freezing if I wore just that.

Also not so sure bout a backpack/duffle for 40 miles.

Nice. Again, humbled.

ultraman6970
01-27-2013, 08:39 PM
Buy a good deodorant :D

christian
01-27-2013, 09:21 PM
Also, really? Wool baselayer, a long sleeve jersey (was this thermal at least??) and a vest. That's it? I think I'd be freezing if I wore just that.I run warm and the jersey is Roubaix fabric. It's my team kit, and very very nice actually.

Also not so sure bout a backpack/duffle for 40 miles.No, clearly a terrible idea. But my ride choices are the Zanconato or a Colnago Extreme Power so a rack is not in my future.

The Zanconato actually doesn't even have bottle bosses - it's a pure cx bike. The writer asked me all sorts of questions about what I drink during the ride. I think she was surprised when I said I drink a cup of coffee and a glass of water at home and a couple glasses of water when I get to work. Two hours of zone 2 at 28 degrees doesn't really require constant rehydration.

roguedog
01-27-2013, 10:38 PM
Christian, I hope you took the backpack comment as another "wow" and not a criticism.

I commuted with a backpack and found it didn't jive with me. I went to a rack and pannier. :)

Understood you don't have that option. Well.. I mean you could bastardize your zanc and all... but other than that..

spaced_ghost
01-27-2013, 10:40 PM
almost makes me wish I still lived farther from work. Rode 20 miles each way in the northern midwest for two years. but, I gotta say, being able to ride to work in 10 minutes ain't bad at all. :p

chismog
01-27-2013, 11:59 PM
Read that article tonight. I knew it was one of you guys when I read about the Zanconato. :rolleyes:

Mad props.

Bradford
01-28-2013, 12:22 AM
But my ride choices are the Zanconato or a Colnago

Or, as a third choice, get a sport tourer that can take a rack. Are you really telling us you couldn't use another bike? Everyone here can use another bike.

fogrider
01-28-2013, 12:56 AM
Or, as a third choice, get a sport tourer that can take a rack. Are you really telling us you couldn't use another bike? Everyone here can use another bike.
sure we can use another bike, but life is short, ride what you want!

and I've been crying about the cold her is san francisco, haha!!!

bikerboy337
01-28-2013, 08:25 AM
to a fellow Califorinia raised kid... i still cant get myself out under 32 degrees after 19 years of New England living... sounds like a nice commute though Christian...

alessandro
01-28-2013, 10:55 AM
Second paragraph: I have never seen a description of kit so lovingly detailed outside of a bicycling publication. Nice touch on the Kinco gloves.

christian
01-28-2013, 11:20 AM
Second paragraph: I have never seen a description of kit so lovingly detailed outside of a bicycling publication. Nice touch on the Kinco gloves.Yeah, they were really interested in this; went back and forth with the writer and editor on it. I would've preferred the column inches were spent on discussing bicycling infrastructure or parking instead.

As it is, it makes it seem like you need to get dressed up as spaceman spiff to go for a bike ride. Which, of course, you don't, especially if you have a more reasonable 5-10 mile commute. My wife commuted 14 miles r/t for 10 years in jeans and a fleece. (But she's tougher than I am.)

But of course, if you're already a bike nerd, you're going to wear the kit you own - which in my case is Capo (team kit), Assos (bought on sale), and a Rivendell wool baselayer (gift from the in-laws). I did pay retail for the Sidis. :)

And I'm pleased you realized the gloves are Kincos - they're the 901 ski gloves.

keevon
01-28-2013, 11:20 AM
Christian -

Tell me more about the gloves. Basic insulated construction gloves with beeswax? More details please!

christian
01-28-2013, 11:35 AM
They're these ones:
http://www.jbtoolsales.com/kinco-901xl-pigskin-lined-work-gloves-knit-wrist-xl/

The beeswax was probably from Rivendell or the local apiary. I actually prefer SnoSeal for the gloves, but I didn't have any at home when I got these gloves, and the wax works fine, too.

I put the gloves and wax in the oven for ~10 mins. Then I put on the gloves and just rub the wax on the gloves and rub the gloves together as if washing my hands. Makes them a bit more snow/water resistant, while still providing a degree of moisture transpiration.

They're good for snowblowing, too.

eBAUMANN
01-28-2013, 12:02 PM
dang dude! my hats off to you, thats quite a ride! also, 440am :eek::eek: i can't even fathom that time.

a coworker actually posted this story on my FB wall this weekend - "reminded me of you" - though I only ride about 6mi to and from work each day, everyone is flabbergasted by the fact that i still show up on bike even in single digit temps.

its all about the gloves and face-covering I've found, when it gets TRULY cold.

alessandro
01-28-2013, 12:08 PM
Kinco gloves are what all the cool kids wear for skiing.:cool: And patrollers and lifties, of course. The 901s or the 1927s (http://www.jbtoolsales.com/kinco-1927kwl-pigskin-lined-work-gloves-knit-wrist-l/) for about $12.

FlashUNC
01-28-2013, 12:11 PM
So which is sketchier in your experience, the early morning ride into the city, or the evening ride back out?

Also, its clear I am a total wuss after reading that.

katematt
01-28-2013, 12:25 PM
Funny I read the article and knew there was a good chance it was a forum member. The Zanc gave it away.

Following the read it's nice to circle back and make the connection.

fiamme red
01-28-2013, 12:59 PM
I thought the placement of this article on the cover of the Metro section was interesting. It was right next to an article about "The Preppers Next Door: a growing cadre of New Yorkers say they're fully stocked and ready for doomsday." So are extreme commuters like Christian ("At 4:40 on a 28-degree January morning, Christian Edstrom readied for his commute" :eek: ) more or less insane than the doomsday preppers? :)

druptight
01-28-2013, 01:04 PM
That's a gorgeous bike to make that ride in on!

flydhest
01-28-2013, 01:27 PM
so, a coworker stopped me in the hallway, knowing I cycle to work, asked me if I had seen the article. She said, "they focused a lot on the clothes, they must have cost a hundred dollars or two!!!"

uh, yeah.

christian
01-28-2013, 01:42 PM
I'll forever be remembered as the expensive-clothes-Fred, even though half my Assos kit was bought used on this forum!

Or, as a third choice, get a sport tourer that can take a rack. Are you really telling us you couldn't use another bike? Everyone here can use another bike.We've got a lot of bikes in our house. I'd love a light touring bike for the commute, but at the end of the day, I'd rather ride than sit on the train and bemoan I don't have the "correct" bike. :)

verticaldoug
01-28-2013, 01:54 PM
I thought the placement of this article on the cover of the Metro section was interesting. It was right next to an article about "The Preppers Next Door: a growing cadre of New Yorkers say they're fully stocked and ready for doomsday." So are extreme commuters like Christian ("At 4:40 on a 28-degree January morning, Christian Edstrom readied for his commute" :eek: ) more or less insane than the doomsday preppers? :)

if you look closely, you will see the big backpack Christian is riding with is the one from the Preppers article. He has his gas mask, some gold pieces, etc.
And you know those insulated gloves with bees wax are 100% prepper.

:fight:

Likes2ridefar
01-28-2013, 02:25 PM
My wife mentioned this article to me this AM and I finally got around to reading it. I was almost positive it was you after the first sentence. Nice!

Nooch
01-28-2013, 03:32 PM
if you look closely, you will see the big backpack Christian is riding with is the one from the Preppers article. He has his gas mask, some gold pieces, etc.
And you know those insulated gloves with bees wax are 100% prepper.

:fight:

actually, Christian, what pack is that anyhow?

christian
01-28-2013, 03:42 PM
Haglöfs LIM 25 liter from ~1997. It weighs something like 500g. I don't think they make anything similar now. The weatherproofness is meh, and the seam stitching isn't great either. But it's light and has a good snow closure system.

Closest current bag is probably something like a Deuter Speed Lite 20 or some other "adventure racing" pack.

fiamme red
01-28-2013, 03:47 PM
I found this interesting profile of one of the other commuters mentioned in the article:

http://www.planetbike.com/page/grassroots/advocacy/rkotch1/

This is puzzling:

It takes something of a Mad Max sensibility to keep your cool traveling in and out of this small island. His preferred route goes over Route 95, where cars try to squeeze themselves into tiny spots in order to get onto the entrance ramp. Often the mental behemoths ignore bikers trying to stay upright in the mix.

"You just have to hold your spot and let the cars know you're there," Kotch sighed. "Riding home in the dark, I use lots of reflective stuff and many lights."Sounds as if he rides in the car lane on the GWB? :eek:

Nooch
01-28-2013, 03:52 PM
I found this interesting profile of one of the other commuters mentioned in the article:

http://www.planetbike.com/page/grassroots/advocacy/rkotch1/

This is puzzling:

Sounds as if he rides in the car lane on the GWB? :eek:

He rides OVER I-95 to get to the bridge -- where there are cars trying to get onto 95..

Nooch
01-28-2013, 03:54 PM
Haglöfs LIM 25 liter from ~1997. It weighs something like 500g. I don't think they make anything similar now. The weatherproofness is meh, and the seam stitching isn't great either. But it's light and has a good snow closure system.

Closest current bag is probably something like a Deuter Speed Lite 20 or some other "adventure racing" pack.

I'm using an Osprey Stratos 26L that I got for christmas on the recomendation of a local -- not a cycling pack, but with the hiking suspension it's pretty comfy.. BUT, since it's not a cycling pack, there's no real provision for a second tail light other than what's on the bike.

fiamme red
01-28-2013, 03:55 PM
He rides OVER I-95 to get to the bridge -- where there are cars trying to get onto 95..Ah, of course. He must be referring to where Degraw Ave/Ft. Lee Road crosses I-95. I never ride that way myself, too dangerous.

christian
01-28-2013, 04:15 PM
Osprey Talon 22 has a blinker patch which fits blinkies. If I replace this one, that might be one to consider. But it's not a rucksack-style top loader.

Rebel_Biker
01-28-2013, 04:33 PM
Are those KINCO gloves? I still ski with them, a carryover from working lifts in college.

christian
01-28-2013, 04:34 PM
They are. I taught ski school at Taos Ski Valley a long long long time ago.

Rebel_Biker
01-28-2013, 04:42 PM
lucky you
Taos is amazing
i am hopefully moving to Santa Fe next year to specifically ski Taos as much as possible

I sold you the 2 Regals earlier in the year. I hope one of them is in the NY Times picture.

dd74
01-28-2013, 04:44 PM
My hat's off to you, Christian. It's just below 60-degrees here (and w/ a cold wind), 2:42 PM, and I can barely get myself out the door for a ride.

Oh, well, I'm more of a warm weather person. 110 in the hills for me. :eek:

christian
01-28-2013, 04:44 PM
I sold you the 2 Regals earlier in the year. I hope one of them is in the NY Times picture.The Racing Team model with the smaller ovals on the rear. As befits a good saddle, I haven't thought about it since I mounted it.

LegendRider
01-28-2013, 04:51 PM
That's an impressive commitment to commuting and your family. Congratulations.

I'm curious about your previous career as a race car driver.

Nooch
01-28-2013, 09:15 PM
Osprey Talon 22 has a blinker patch which fits blinkies. If I replace this one, that might be one to consider. But it's not a rucksack-style top loader.

yeah, and the 33 is probably too big.. I'm still getting used to the top loading on the stratos. It's a good pack, don't get me wrong, and the suspension really keeps the weight in a good position -- i might just have to have someone sew me on a blinky loop. The talon looks nice, but the way my back sweats (i'm like you as far as running hot) I think I'm better off with the stratos.

beeatnik
01-28-2013, 09:55 PM
Great read. I'm about to go on a 40 mile bike ride and we're having another cold spell (low 40s). And, yep, wool base layer, long sleeve roubaix jersey and wind vest.

I remember reading a piece a while back about a doctor who had a 100 or 120 mile commute into the upper east side. Was that also in the NYT?

christian
01-28-2013, 09:58 PM
I think so. He rode in from Pound Ridge, which is 20+ miles further from me.

Edit: no, Outside Magazine: http://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-adventure/biking/city-biking/Rage-Against-Your-Machine.html?page=all

beeatnik
01-28-2013, 10:15 PM
Sweet!

That article has become the stuff of legend in my mind. I was thinking I read it years ago and the commute was 5 or 6 hours long. "Supercommuter" haha

Thanks for finding the article.

christian
01-29-2013, 07:20 AM
It's funny - obviously it's a confluence of factors that makes this practicable (trails, indoor parking, modern lights) - but if I hadn't read that very article when it was linked here the first time, I probably wouldn't be riding to work now.

Btw, 8:30am start? Nice! I wish.

BumbleBeeDave
01-31-2013, 10:08 AM
Just read this story and Christian Dude you are either hard core or totally crazy--or both!

I'm shakin' my head but it's in admiration. And that guy who rides as long as it's over 10 degrees? Ack! :eek:

BBD

crownjewelwl
01-31-2013, 10:13 AM
have you heard about this crazy dude that commutes from westchester to downtown manhattan on his bike? is he CRAZY????

to which i replied "i know that guy"

and she says "he does it so he doesnt take time away from the family"

to which i replied "oh...well i could ride to work"

"are you crazy?"

end of conversation

beeatnik
01-31-2013, 01:18 PM
[QUOTE=christian;1282204]I'll forever be remembered as the expensive-clothes-Fred, even though half my Assos kit was bought used on this forum!

QUOTE]

Haha.

I hadn't been on bike snob in months and a buddy sends me this yesterday:

"If you're excited by lengthy descriptions of Freds sensually donning hundreds of dollars of technical garments then read on"

http://bikesnobnyc.blogspot.com/2013/01/its-not-size-of-commute-its-what-you-do.html

fiamme red
01-31-2013, 01:31 PM
I hadn't been on bike snob in months and a buddy sends me this yesterday:

"If you're excited by lengthy descriptions of Freds sensually donning hundreds of dollars of technical garments then read on"

http://bikesnobnyc.blogspot.com/2013/01/its-not-size-of-commute-its-what-you-do.htmlEvery time someone sends me a Bike Slob link and I'm foolish enough to click on it, I'm reminded why I stopped reading the guy years ago. :)

But anyway, I did just click on the link, and read this:

Certainly a 30-mile commute can be a good way to squeeze in those winter base miles, though I'm not sure why you'd elect to do it on a folding bike:

The second query was from Scott Bernstein, an electrophysiologist and assistant professor at New York University School of Medicine, who commutes 30 miles on a collapsible bike from his home in Tarrytown to his office at NYU Langone Medical Center at First Avenue and 34th Street.

“As long as it’s at least 10 degrees, I ride,” Dr. Bernstein said.

I realize that boasting about your temperature threshold is an essential part of Long Distance Fred Commuting, but if I had to commute from Tarrytown to 34th Street and it was 10 degrees outside I'd collapse the **** out of that bike and ride the Metro North instead. What does he do when it's actually warm outside? How does he prove himself then? Does he ride his folding bike while wearing nothing except a Terry bolero like some sort of Naked Matador of Smugness?I thought it was obvious why he rides a folding bike. He commutes to work, then folds up his bike for the train ride home. You can take a folding bike on Metro-North during rush hour, not a regular bike.

Not the Slowest
01-31-2013, 02:22 PM
My RT commute is 44 miles from Riverdale - Jamaica and would love a Westchester - Midtown commute just for the obvious lack of traffic lights etc.

I guess once you can get rolling at 4:30 am the rest is gravy.

Regarding back packs, I use a Radonee by Novaro which has racks on it. I use packs when needed but always suffer from a wet back. Bad in Winter , worse in summer.

Maybe UPS supplies once a week and lose the back pack. Obviously you have already thought
all this through.

Whatever works keep it up.

Robert

velomonkey
02-02-2013, 03:27 PM
Christian, on that commute - let me give you one unsolicited recommendation on equipement - rear light - one word - dinotte - his rear light, which is now mini usb rechargeable, is the best $200 I ever spent. Cars will change their driving habits when hey see it.

christian
02-02-2013, 03:50 PM
Scott runs a Dinotte - because he rides a lot of streets. I'm happy with a SOLAS and a Cherrybomb as my ride is basically only 6 miles of streets and the rest off-highway.

Louis
02-02-2013, 03:59 PM
I'm happy with a SOLAS and a Cherrybomb as my ride is basically only 6 miles of streets and the rest off-highway.

Perhaps, but cars only need about 10 feet to ruin your day.

I'd say it depends on the type / quantity of traffic, the width of the shoulders, etc etc. One mile in bad street conditions can be worse than fifty miles of rural roads.

bikerboy337
02-08-2013, 09:18 AM
So.... you commuting home today? Could be a fun one!

Likes2ridefar
02-08-2013, 09:21 AM
So.... you commuting home today? Could be a fun one!

I rode in this AM. it was a little wet but not much snow besides a few sections. The ride home this PM may be a bit more entertaining!

bikerboy337
02-08-2013, 09:26 AM
Wow... impressive... we're only supposed to have 4-inches by tonights commute, but they're saying once it really starts, its going to be 3+ inches an hour and that would be no fun...

i've got my old bridgestone single speed ready for pulling my son on his sled tonight/tomorrow, about as good as I can do though... cant imagine actually being on the road

I rode in this AM. it was a little wet but not much snow besides a few sections. The ride home this PM may be a bit more entertaining!

Likes2ridefar
02-08-2013, 09:28 AM
yeah, it probably wouldnt be much fun! I have the ski goggles and some shoes/gaiters to swap to if it turns into a run:banana:

I figure worst case scenario it's a 2 hour jog home!

54ny77
02-08-2013, 09:41 AM
chistian you're a stud!