PDA

View Full Version : California Stage Race

Blastinbob
11-03-2005, 10:23 AM
The stage race is set for Feb. 19-26, 2006, and will cover 700 miles from San Francisco to Redondo Beach in L.A. Sixteen teams will compete, including at least seven with Pro Tour status -- Discovery Channel, Gerolsteiner, Davitamon-Lotto, Phonak, Crédit Agricole, Saunier-Duval and T-Mobile.

ESPN2 is the event's official broadcast partner, which should guarantee plenty of television coverage. The official website is http://www.amgentourofcalifornia.com

MikeM
11-03-2005, 10:25 AM
Have you guys seen who one of the sponsors is (possibly the title sponsor...)? They're a manufacturer of EPO - talk about irony!

Mike

cinelli
11-03-2005, 10:35 AM
I'm sure the biggest motivation is to disspell
the negative feedback about EPO. While a
small percentage is used for performance-
enhancement, the main purpose for EPO
is to benefit cancer patients. Hopefully,
the new California Tour will play that up.

bcm119
11-03-2005, 11:21 AM
Is there any more detailed info about the route? The map is pretty general. I'd be interested in what roads they're taking, especially from SLO down to LA.

Fixed
11-03-2005, 10:33 PM
bro amigen makes a lot of stuff . stuff that you need e.p.o. just to get up outta bed, they don't just make e.p.o. cheers :beer:

toaster
11-04-2005, 12:26 AM
I make EPO too. Just not the recombinant type.

Too Tall
11-04-2005, 08:25 AM
NPR commentator said "it was like having Budweiser sponsor an AA meeting" ;)

Frustration
11-04-2005, 08:31 AM
I'm sure the biggest motivation is to disspell
the negative feedback about EPO.

I'm sure the biggest motivation is to promote the brand and sell more drugs...

Have no illusions

Amgen want the sick people that really need this stuff to get the impression that "this stuff can make me feel like one of those super athletes!"

This isn't about selling a few vials to athletes, it's about having athletes sell a few million vials to the sick people that need it.

Bill Bove
11-04-2005, 04:37 PM
I thought it was both ironic and humorous when Procrit was a sponser during the TdF a few years ago.

If I get cancer, knock on wood, I wont need no skinny, sickly looking overgrown kids riding bikes to make me buy EPO. Two in the morning Doc? Good, give me four.

Ken Robb
11-04-2005, 05:58 PM
there must be a lot of looping around to get 700 miles on that route--it looks like no more than 500 on their undetailed map.

Fixed
11-04-2005, 08:16 PM
I'm sure the biggest motivation is to promote the brand and sell more drugs...

Have no illusions

Amgen want the sick people that really need this stuff to get the impression that "this stuff can make me feel like one of those super athletes!"

This isn't about selling a few vials to athletes, it's about having athletes sell a few million vials to the sick people that need it. bro i agree some people do need it just to get out of bed . well said bro. i.m.h.o. L.A. is a hero to many sick dudes around the world. cheers :beer:

Skrawny
11-05-2005, 09:08 AM
Anyone find a more in-depth map o' the route?
I'd like to find what path they are going to take though my 'hood.
-s

toaster
11-06-2005, 09:47 PM
I just want to comment on the controversy surrounding the sponsorship by the biotech company Amgen.

I don't work for Amgen, I do belong to the cycling club and amateur race team. That said, our jerseys do advertise Epogen and Aranesp as well as a couple other Amgen products just like any other team sponsor would advertise product on team clothing. I know from hearing from the company's representatives that these products are important for the patients who need them and the company would like the general public to know of the benefits of the drugs.

If, as a racer, someone asks why I have Epogen advertising on my kit Amgen would want me to inform them of the legitimate uses of the product and dispell the notion that it's about performance enhancement. I can serve Amgen and the athletic community best by having an intelligent response to their questions instead of knowing nothing but it's role in illegal and unethical abuse by athletes.

Nobody thinks a NASCAR driver races under the influence of alcohol just because he has a Budweiser logo on the car. I think we're smarter than that. The executives at Amgen truly like bicycle racing and want to promote a healthy lifestyle. This subject never comes up when Amgen promotes charity rides from San Francisco to L.A to raise money for worthy causes. I find it rather disturbing that WADA, of all things, would object since they seem to be the most clueless when confronting the doping problem.

Keith A
11-07-2005, 08:24 AM
The mayor of SF isn't very exicted about this event is he :D

From CyclingNews.com ...San Francisco Mayor Gavin Newsome was very excited to be a part of the event, even offering full access of his city to the race. "This is a great thing for the city, and for the state," said Newsome. "Whether you want to start [the race] on the Embarcadero or even on the Golden Gate Bridge, I don't care - we are behind you!"

Pretty cool to have the gov't officials giving this much support to the race :banana:

george
11-07-2005, 10:09 AM
I just saw the 33 minute webcast. They all seem exited. and feel like it will rival the Tour de France! That it is going to take over as the biggest bicycle race in the world! I think anything is possible but this is a large and bold prediction? We will wait and see.

george
11-07-2005, 10:10 AM
Anyone find a more in-depth map o' the route?
I'd like to find what path they are going to take though my 'hood.
-s

The start cities are known but the exact routes are TBA...