PDA

View Full Version : Differences in Campy Cassettes/Chains

Crackerkorean
01-26-2013, 07:48 PM
Im working on a 10sp build and still need to get a cassette and chain.

I know the record stuff has Ti cogs that, from what I have read, wear out quicker so its more suited for racing.

Im a heavier guy so a few grams of weight savings does nothing for me. I was leaning more towards the Veloce or Centaur for price. Whats the difference between these two.

Also anybody have experience running a SRAM or a Wipperman chain?

Most of my experience is (riding wise) is on mountain and I have has no issues with running different chains. Even on the road stuff I worked on never had issues but we never saw much Campy in the shop.

Ken Robb
01-26-2013, 08:24 PM
Welcome! As a new guy you may find some good info in the archives on these topics.

Ralph
01-26-2013, 08:39 PM
10's Veloce and Centaur cassettes both fine. Both wear a long time. 2011 and up Centaur have the two largest cogs pined together. I know 2010 Centaur is all loose cogs (I've got one). Some older Centaur cassettes have two largest cogs pined together also. Veloce all loose cogs. Both same quality I think. The Campy loose cog 10's cassettes have three different spacer sizes, so just follow the directions about where they go if you get them mixed up.

I use either 10's Campy Veloce or KMC chains (for Campy). Both seem to work fine. With the Campy Veloce chain, I use a KMC quick link...makes taking chain off for cleaning simple. Never used the two chains you mention for Campy 10 use, but imagine they will work OK if correct width.

Crackerkorean
01-26-2013, 09:18 PM
A KMC would work fine too. The main thing I was looking for was a quick connect, and not having to buy a special campy tool.

I have done quite a bit of reading about this but also read that campy changed the width of their chains ever so slightly 5-10mil for 10sp over the years, so I wanted to ask and get current answers.

Thanks for the help

oliver1850
01-26-2013, 09:19 PM
There are loose cog Centaur cassettes, the 14-23 comes to mind. I think all Centaur cassettes were individual cogs in 2010, not sure about more recent ones. Veloce is fine too. I would buy the model on which you can get the best price on the desired gearing.

Crackerkorean
01-26-2013, 09:27 PM
Gearing is something that I still need to figure out. I am not the strongest rider so not really sure what is a good starting point for the cassette. I was thinking 12-25.

It seems there is a lot more flexibility and choice when it comes to road stuff. Almost makes it overwhelming when having to pick everything out.

soulspinner
01-27-2013, 04:32 AM
PBK has all Campy cassettes pretty cheap(ok reasonable for Campy).

oldpotatoe
01-27-2013, 08:10 AM
Im working on a 10sp build and still need to get a cassette and chain.

I know the record stuff has Ti cogs that, from what I have read, wear out quicker so its more suited for racing.

Im a heavier guy so a few grams of weight savings does nothing for me. I was leaning more towards the Veloce or Centaur for price. Whats the difference between these two.

Also anybody have experience running a SRAM or a Wipperman chain?

Most of my experience is (riding wise) is on mountain and I have has no issues with running different chains. Even on the road stuff I worked on never had issues but we never saw much Campy in the shop.

Least expensive compatible cogset and chain. Centaur has the biggest cogs onto a carrier for a wee bit of weight savings. Veloce are all loose. Save the $50, get, Veloce. Record chains in 10s are no longer made, altho available. Holes in pins..get a Campagnolo Veloce 10s chain or a KMC or even a shimano.

Not a fan of sram(tend to break) or Wipperman that seems to weat cogsets out quickly, neither don't shift as well and the other 3 I mentioned.

oldpotatoe
01-27-2013, 08:11 AM
PBK has all Campy cassettes pretty cheap(ok reasonable for Campy).

who?

thirdgenbird
01-27-2013, 09:03 AM
I've been using veloce cassettes and centaur chains on an otherwise record bike. both work great.

I've also used veloce chains but if you catch a sale you can often get a centaur chain for a few dollars more. There is no functional difference, but you get some cut outs for your money.