PDA

View Full Version : Tygart says Lance lied (again)

djg21
01-25-2013, 10:03 PM
LOS ANGELES (AFP) — U.S. Anti-Doping Agency chief Travis Tygart says Lance Armstrong lied in his confessional interview with Oprah Winfrey, and the shamed cyclist has until February 6 to “cooperate fully” if he wants to lessen his life ban.

In an excerpt of an interview with the CBS network to air in full on Sunday, Tygart said Armstrong lied about several key points — including his claim that he raced clean in his comeback in 2009 and 2010.

Tygart said he has written to the banned former world champion and offered him a deadline of February 6 to “cooperate fully and truthfully” in exchange for a possible lessening of his lifetime ban from Olympic sports.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2013/01/news/tygart-tells-60-minutes-armstrong-lied_27270

They are going to let the asshat race.

Louis
01-25-2013, 10:13 PM
They are going to let the asshat race.

I'm of two minds on this.

On one hand you'd like them to throw the book at him. On the other hand, you can't treat him that much differently from all the past "rehabilitated" dopers.

Seems to me it comes down to how vindictive you want to be about it.

slidey
01-25-2013, 10:22 PM
I see your point, but I do think there is a valid case to be made that Lance was more than just another doper...err...rider. He was the poster-boy for doping going right, and going forward it is in the best financial interest of a lot of institutions to ensure that the truth about Lance's web is never exposed. I can quite easily see that Lance decided to sacrifice himself only after he was told that this was the most profitable decision for him...and, look at where we are now!

The bugger comes clean, and there's talk about him participating again. He's more than just a cheat, and a doper...he's morally ambiguous, and a whore for the moolah.

I'm of two minds on this.

On one hand you'd like them to throw the book at him. On the other hand, you can't treat him that much differently from all the past "rehabilitated" dopers.

Seems to me it comes down to how vindictive you want to be about it.

Louis
01-25-2013, 10:28 PM
The bugger comes clean, and there's talk about him participating again. He's more than just a cheat, and a doper...he's morally ambiguous, and a whore for the moolah.

Agreed. Right after being banned he should not be able so say "OK, you're right, I did cheat. Now can I race again?" Then resume his cycling life as if nothing bad had ever happened.

There has to be some punishment beyond him loosing all his sponsors (which technically have nothing to do with WADA or USADA).

FlashUNC
01-25-2013, 10:29 PM
Tygart needs a carrot to get him to roll on McQuaid and Verbruggen.

None of this is surprising.

bironi
01-25-2013, 10:50 PM
Tygart needs a carrot to get him to roll on McQuaid and Verbruggen.

None of this is surprising.

Yep.

Let's see Lance in his panties making an ass of himself into his latter years.

54ny77
01-25-2013, 11:40 PM
http://gifs.gifbin.com/072011/reverse-1311246801_cute_baby_sloth_yawns.gif

Rueda Tropical
01-26-2013, 04:12 AM
Agreed. Right after being banned he should not be able so say "OK, you're right, I did cheat. Now can I race again?" Then resume his cycling life as if nothing bad had ever happened.

There has to be some punishment beyond him loosing all his sponsors (which technically have nothing to do with WADA or USADA).

Why not? If he comes clean. That would be of real value to cycling going forward. No one knows what he knows.

However, as of now he is still lying his ass off and is admitting less then is already out there so, no deal. By now he should know the Oprah scam was a huge flop.

holliscx
01-26-2013, 05:09 AM
If nothing else LA has demonstrated that he is incapable of cooperating fully and truthfully. If he were no one has the power to move the sport forward like Lance could, but coming clean for the betterment of the sport is a pipe dream for Mr. Armstrong will never be that torchbearer.

jpw
01-26-2013, 05:25 AM
I think he should be invited to race the Tour again. The crowds would be enormous.

I'd certainly be at the side of the road on the climb to a summit...with my baguette in hand.

William
01-26-2013, 07:57 AM
He's saying he won't work with USADA, but he will participate in the so called "truth and reconciliation commission" set up by the UCI.

Lawyer: Armstrong open to 'truth and reconciliation' commission, not USADA

(CNN) -- Lance Armstrong is ready to cooperate with an international "truth and reconciliation commission" digging into doping in professional cycling, but not -- for now and perhaps longer -- with the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency, which expedited his downfall, his lawyer said Friday.
USADA, designated by Congress as the country's official anti-doping organization for Olympic sports, had reached out to Armstrong's representatives, asking the former champion cyclist to talk to them at length by February 6 about his past.
In a letter dated Friday, Armstrong's lawyer Timothy Herman acknowledged the USADA request but said that "logistically, it is simply not possible" to do in the next two weeks "due to preexisting obligations."
Furthermore, Herman wrote that Armstrong is more inclined to cooperate with international sports authorities -- specifically the Union Cycliste Internationale, which recently announced its intention to set up a "truth and reconciliation commission" in conjunction with the World Anti-Doping Agency.....

http://www.cnn.com/2013/01/25/sport/lance-armstrong-doping/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

Well, that pretty much spells out why he's not saying anything about the UCI crew.:rolleyes:

William

earlfoss
01-26-2013, 09:54 AM
Armstrong is still trying to control the dialogue by not testifying with USADA I think.

I also think that the recent media blitz of Tygart's might be in part due to his frustration at not being able to finish the job on Lance.

I might be way off.

AgilisMerlin
01-26-2013, 09:58 AM
“Only in the darkness can you see the stars.”

― Martin Luther King Jr.

merlincustom1
01-26-2013, 10:06 AM
I don't think t&r will trump wada/usada. He needs to sing well to get to 8 years, and he shouldn't get to 8 years until he comes clean about '09-'10, and maybe not even then. Kirk O'Bee is banned for life for less stuff than LA.

dancinkozmo
01-26-2013, 10:11 AM
I think he should be invited to race the Tour again. The crowds would be enormous.

I'd certainly be at the side of the road on the climb to a summit...with my baguette in hand.

be cool if everyone shot yellow wristbands at him on the climbs

jpw
01-26-2013, 10:54 AM
be cool if everyone shot yellow wristbands at him on the climbs

Yep. If tomatoes were yellow....

Vientomas
01-26-2013, 11:10 AM
I guess talkin' to the 'Murican authorities just ain't good enough for Lance. He would rather spill his guts to those Euro's who always hated him.