PDA

View Full Version : American Flyers

oldguy00
11-02-2005, 10:18 PM
I love this movie. Maybe a bit dorky, but I love it. I love the shot of the two American's and the Soviet sprinting up over the horizon/road to the finish of the first stage. Cool!
:beer:

BBB
11-03-2005, 12:58 AM
What about the Soviet rider who looks like he would be better suited to wrestling, has a beard and wears a helmet that looks like an ice cream container?

nicrump
11-03-2005, 08:21 AM
"shake this Belov"

Michael Maddox
11-03-2005, 09:26 AM
Did you know that Janice Rule, who played Mrs. Sommers, died of a cerebral hemmorhage in 2003? Apparently, it really DID "run in the family," just not on the paternal side.

oldguy00
11-03-2005, 11:09 AM
"shake this Belov"

"you wouldn't know a fact if it banged you all night long!!"
lol

PanTerra
11-03-2005, 11:28 AM
Well, I'll be a fig newton.

boulder_courier
11-03-2005, 12:06 PM
I like the Mt. Evans HC that finishes at Echo Lake - not even half way to the top....the juniors finish there....and the movie stars.

kong79
11-03-2005, 12:10 PM
I'm pathetic I know, but the first couple of years I raced (80's) I used to watch this movie the night before every race. Psyched me up!

BigDaddySmooth
11-03-2005, 12:34 PM
Changing the rear tire in a race situation---sweeet!

Plus the VO2 max test on the treadmill was pretty cool. Since when can a cyclist run like that? I wonder if Alberto Salazar or any runner could turn 450+ watts on an ergometer. Not likely. 1980s technology at its finest. :banana:

vaxn8r
11-03-2005, 02:14 PM
I like bowling.

Bowling? Bowling is not a sport Randolph. Bowling is just a big video game.

Don't get all defrosted dad.

Don't do what?

Well, you heard me, don't get all defrosted.

Well how the hell does your mother put up with you?

Now look dad, the way I see it there's no black bowlers. Basketball yes. Football yes. Golf we got one guy. But bowling we got zip. Think about it.

JeffreyG
08-31-2006, 11:26 PM
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I was just wondering, did Robert Townsend and the other actors on the 7-11 team get fitted for their own bikes or did they simply barrow the real team's equipment? I presently have a two hour commute and this is the stuff that fills my mind when I should be keeping my eyes on the road.

P.S. If you want to see real cycling in a movie watch the opening seen in Quick Silver with Kevin Bacon, where the cab races Nelson Vails through the city. After this scene turn it off.

Serpico
08-31-2006, 11:33 PM

P.S. If you want to see real cycling in a movie watch the opening seen in Quick Silver with Kevin Bacon, where the cab races Nelson Vails through the city. After this scene turn it off.

c'mon man, the DUI handlebars and bike-gymanstics are top rate!

531Aussie
08-31-2006, 11:53 PM
Costner has a leg double for the close-ups, because his pins weren't muscular enough

mcteague
09-01-2006, 07:24 AM
[QUOTE=BigDaddySmooth]Changing the rear tire in a race situation---sweeet!

I remember reading that on the first take she changed the wheel and promptly tossed the old one out in the street in front of the oncoming peloton. That would be a good "outtake" for the DVD. Otherwise I find this movie nearly unwatchable. "Breaking Away" is the champ here.

Tim McTeague

Kahuna
09-01-2006, 03:39 PM
We (i.e. my bike team and I) went to the opening show in NYC when this movie first came out. It was like the entire field from the Central Park spring series was there filling up the whole theatre. I mean everyone we knew from all teh local area clubs was there. Afterwards we all went out on the town and rampaged the city for a while. It was a lot of fun. We a bunch of juniors and 20-somethings in the 1980s.

Some weeks before the movie opened I got a chance to meet Kevin Costner. The movie production company had set up a booth at the NYC bicycle show of all places. This was the major inudstry trade show that existed before Interbike. They actually had Costner - then a no-name actor working the booth to try and drum up support for the film. What a hoot!