PDA

View Full Version : SS Question, Last time, I Swear.....

Argos
11-02-2005, 09:25 PM
Ok, "The Temp", or as the guys at the shop call her, "Cookie Monster" is almost done. She's got cranks, brakes, tape.... All I need to do is run the chain. Here is my Q....

I was looking at 'The Prep' 's San Tropez SS in the gallery (Fixie actually) and someone had a Schwinn hybrid also, set up as a SS.... Ok my point.

Do I NEED a chain tensioner? Plenty of folks seem to be running a SS without one even without Track Forks* on their frame. I am using a Cannondale XR-800 (Cyclocross) frameset. The dropouts are nearly Vertical.

*rear facing, horizontal.

stackie
11-02-2005, 09:57 PM
Horizontal dropouts make adjusting the chain tension much easier. However, I would say that most of the fixed gear conversions over at fixedgeargallery.com do not have track dropouts. My thought is that one can play with the various cog sizes to come up with a chain length that is close enough to be brought into proper tension with a semi vertical dropout. If your's are almost vertical, that may be a bit tougher, but I'd think with enough tinkering and a good selection of cogs and rings, you could do it.

Stackie

Argos
11-02-2005, 10:11 PM
Stackie... Thanks.

Also, to be clear, I'm doing a SS, not a fixie on this one.

loctite
11-03-2005, 07:23 AM
because its SS, it may be hard to find a good chain tension, like he said it just means playing with cog sizes, and depends on stay length. I woul go with a nice paul tensioner, they look good and will alow you to use whatever cogs you like! Good Luck

Fixed
11-03-2005, 07:39 AM
bro you'll have a hard time gettin the gear you want and keepin the chain tight a tensioner is what you'll need unless you go with a hub that lets you take the chain slack out like a white 's cheers :beer:

ergott
11-03-2005, 07:45 AM
Ok, "The Temp", or as the guys at the shop call her, "Cookie Monster" is almost done. She's got cranks, brakes, tape.... All I need to do is run the chain. Here is my Q....

I was looking at 'The Prep' 's San Tropez SS in the gallery (Fixie actually) and someone had a Schwinn hybrid also, set up as a SS.... Ok my point.

Do I NEED a chain tensioner? Plenty of folks seem to be running a SS without one even without Track Forks* on their frame. I am using a Cannondale XR-800 (Cyclocross) frameset. The dropouts are nearly Vertical.

*rear facing, horizontal.

He forgot to mention that he is using a White Indst. ENO eccentric hub.

Argos
11-03-2005, 08:09 AM
He forgot to mention that he is using a White Indst. ENO eccentric hub.

No I didn't. I'm using my black King wheelset. I don't have an ENO hub. Don't you think YOU would know if I had an ENO hub?

ergott
11-03-2005, 08:14 AM
No I didn't. I'm using my black King wheelset. I don't have an ENO hub. Don't you think YOU would know if I had an ENO hub?

I thought you told me you just got an ENO!

Oh, well. You should! (I know a few good builders) ;)

Ginger
11-03-2005, 08:14 AM
Ooo another Sandy and Kevan!

ergott
11-03-2005, 08:18 AM

And our post counts are so close!

Argos
11-03-2005, 08:20 AM
Yeah, but none of the sexual tension.

Eric, I got the ENO Freewheel. Really NICE! It'll look great on the wheelset your building up for me..... ahem..... I'll see that soon, right?

ergott
11-03-2005, 08:20 AM

And our post counts are so close! ;)

ergott
11-03-2005, 08:23 AM

And our post counts are so close! :D

Too Tall
11-03-2005, 08:23 AM
Argos, you can get it right and not use a chain tensioner. First you need to figure out the effective chain stay length and use a calculator nail the combo that will come closest to perfect. SOMEWHERE at home I've got a spreadsheet to figure this out...but good old Google may turn it up too. Second either Peter W. or Mr Harris sells 1/2 links...woo woo is that cool or what? I've done this job by just dorking with junk rings until I get it right too.

HA! I did a google search (class has not started yet) and found EXACTLY the tool you need:

http://www.peak.org/~fixin/personal/fmu/php/formfmu.php

Have not seen these guys around for ages...this is the sexy version of the excel table I have at home...works.

Argos
11-03-2005, 08:25 AM
Excellent TT, thanks!

ergott
11-03-2005, 08:26 AM

And our post counts are so close! :argue:

Don't forget, Argos has a month on me.

theprep
11-03-2005, 08:26 AM
My LBS, the Kreb Cycle in Bellport said; you can use a tensioner with a SS (freewheel, ability to coast). You can't use a tensioner with a fixed gear. It will explode and you will go boom the first time you backpedal or slow down using the cranks.

Harris Cyclery is a great website for fixed/SS information.

Cheers,
Joe

Fixed
11-03-2005, 08:28 AM
bro you are a guy who goes first class get the white i.m.h.o. cheers :beer:

Argos
11-03-2005, 08:32 AM
Joe,

Thanks, yeah this bike is not fgonna be fixed. The Fixie is on the way, this one "The Temp" is being built up cause I'm jonesing to race cross this weekend. It's gonna be SS. I guess I can pop my Singulator off my Mtn Bike for the weekend.

Chris at the Kreb rocks. I love that shop.

here is a pic of "The Temp" as of this morning....

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-8/1062576/IMG_1914.JPG