PDA

View Full Version : Is the vittoria rally really that bad?

Nooch
01-25-2013, 11:11 AM
Just jumped on the nemesis wagon with the CC sale, so I'll build up a few more pairs of tubulars and possibly liquidate my clinchers.. my first set of tubulars, i only rode last week, a set of reynolds sdv66T's with veloflex carbons -- wow, what a freaking ride! I don't know if it's the tire or the rim, or the combination, but now I understand how smooth and fast it can feel..

so if I were to build up two sets of nemesis wheels, I'd likely build one for training with pave's, and was thinking about what would be decent for commuting, and came accross the rally.. but it seems the concensus is that it's not that great a tire, even so far as to be afraid of riding it..

is it really that bad? and what would the better alternative be, considering the task of commuting -- cheap and replaceable with respectible wear, vs a more fun, more expensive, go fast bullet proof tire (like the pave).

thanks!

echelon_john
01-25-2013, 11:22 AM
you have a problem. :p

Nooch
01-25-2013, 11:26 AM
I have many problems, my friend... Which one is this? :)

(the fact that my first tubie experience was really nice tubies on carbon rims so nothing else will ever compare?) :banana:

thwart
01-25-2013, 11:30 AM
commuting = cheap and durable tires, easily and quickly changed if there's a flat, which should be few and far between.

I don't think the Rally has a rep for lack of durability. It's the lackluster ride that keeps folks here from recommending it.

But if I was a tubie newbie, I'd probably commute on clinchers (see above note about tire changes), at least until I'd done a flat change on a training ride...

christian
01-25-2013, 11:49 AM
But if I was a tubie newbie, I'd probably commute on clinchers (see above note about tire changes), at least until I'd done a flat change on a training ride...
Nooch, come ride dirt with me in Westchester. I can get you a double flat within 20 minutes, so you can commute on tubulars.

I've never used the Rally, but I have ridden the A. Muzi 3-for-50 tires as a spare. They seem ok. I mean, do they ride like Veloflex, no, but they are tires, and the ones I got are straight.

echelon_john
01-25-2013, 12:02 PM
I'm just laughing because I haven't ridden tubulars in 15 years but still bought a few pairs of Nemeses...it's a bit of an issue. ; )

I have many problems, my friend... Which one is this? :)

(the fact that my first tubie experience was really nice tubies on carbon rims so nothing else will ever compare?) :banana:

thegunner
01-25-2013, 12:06 PM
commuting = cheap and durable tires, easily and quickly changed if there's a flat, which should be few and far between.

screw that! riding time is precious, all of my time riding will be spent on nice rubber :banana:

pbarry
01-25-2013, 12:22 PM
You can change a flatted tubbie at least 50% faster than replacing a clincher tube. Granted, it won't be glued on, but you'll get to point B if you are careful. :banana:

merckx
01-25-2013, 12:27 PM
If you drive the family car around on $40.00 re-treads then by all means go for the Rallys.

pbarry
01-25-2013, 12:45 PM
Competitive Cyclist has the Mavic Griplink/Powerlink tubbies on sale for $40. Different compounds for the front and rear. Nice tires for the $.

AngryScientist
01-25-2013, 12:52 PM
you're kidding yourself if you think heavy assed box section tubular rims fitted with the crappiest tubies on the market are going to ride better than a nice wide clincher with latex tubes and good tires.

people "romanticize" how wonderful nemesis rims are because they are what the pros used to use in rough road races, and they have quite a history. they are still a relatively very porky rim; couple that with garbage tubular tires and the ride is going to be very "underwhelming".

thegunner
01-25-2013, 12:53 PM
you're kidding yourself if you think heavy assed box section tubular rims fitted with the crappiest tubies on the market are going to ride better than a nice wide clincher with latex tubes and good tires.

people "romanticize" how wonderful nemesis rims are because they are what the pros used to use in rough road races, and they have quite a history. they are still a relatively very porky rim; couple that with garbage tubular tires and the ride is going to be very "underwhelming".

A23's, Latex Tubes, Vittoria OC EVO CX's all day every day :)

AngryScientist
01-25-2013, 12:56 PM
A23's, Latex Tubes, Vittoria OC EVO CX's all day every day :)

correct.

veloflex corsa's work too:)

christian
01-25-2013, 01:00 PM
Competitive Cyclist has the Mavic Griplink/Powerlink tubbies on sale for $40. Different compounds for the front and rear. Nice tires for the $.I have these. They're pretty clearly Vittorias, I think. They're nice.

Nooch
01-25-2013, 01:22 PM

well, sure... I don't know, I bought the hype of the nemesis.. maybe send back two then and just have a nice training tubular wheelset and leave my clinchers be..

shovelhd
01-25-2013, 01:35 PM
I think the point people are trying to make is, step up a bit on the tubular spectrum and you will start to see the ride benefits. Besides what has been mentioned, look at Continental Sprinters and Tufo S33 Special.

christian
01-25-2013, 01:48 PM
well, sure... I don't know, I bought the hype of the nemesis.. maybe send back two then and just have a nice training tubular wheelset and leave my clinchers be..
At that price, keep them as stretching rims and use them later. I bought a pair too.

The Mavic tubies are a great deal at $40 each. They're the 290tpi version of the Vittoria Corsas. They look great on a modern bike.

krismac23
01-25-2013, 02:35 PM
I think the point people are trying to make is, step up a bit on the tubular spectrum and you will start to see the ride benefits. Besides what has been mentioned, look at Continental Sprinters and Tufo S33 Special.

Good tubs, always as the conti gatorskin tubs. Also the Gp4000 are pretty nice.

ultraman6970
01-25-2013, 04:40 PM
As with clinchers you have a lot of brands and models but you have to be lucky aswell, with no luck you can kill a set of tubulars in a day.

Now to anwer your question, you can spend over 100 bucks per tubular or just go cheap. For commuting I would just go cheap, cheap like vittoria 20 bucks ones or yellow jersey 3x50 bucks ones.

The 3x50 are 21 mm tubulars, 280 grams training tubulars, if you want to commute with a 120 bucks tubular is your call :D

Many complain about the 3x50 ones but for the price you really cant complain that much because of the use you will do to them. I dont ride that much but so far i have not punctured a single one yet, you might be able to get like a season with a pair riding daily. Arent super straight either but again you want to commute right?

Advice, that the tubular says that max inflation is like 180 to 270 psi doesnt mean you have to put that in them ok? 80 to 120 is ok more than that could be a problem with sharp pebbles.

Tufo tubulars arent that bad but the problem is that you cant patch them because are sealed and thats why they have that puncture milk thing that you put inside, personally I have used it and have caused more problems than fixes.

Good luck.