PDA

View Full Version : Wrenching on the bike: Am I f*cked?!

many_styles
01-25-2013, 01:24 AM
In the process of replacing the bearings of my Alchemy ORC rear hub, I accidentally missed a step and didn't install the proper bearing drift to protect the ORC hub shell.

The handles of the press came in contact w/ the hub shell and created a burr. Initially I thought it was purely cosmetic and wouldn't harm the hub, but now I think the dust cover/bearing adjustment cap rubs against the edge and is creating drag.

I emailed Jeremy, and while waiting I was wondering if anyone had any advice? Do I use a hand deburring tool?

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8086/8413633642_75d7273af7_o.jpg

Louis
01-25-2013, 01:36 AM
I would say a hand file then sand paper and elbow grease to remove it, but if I'm looking at the right thing it looks like you'd have to remove the bearing to have clearance for the file. A Dremel tool might be able to do it without removing the bearing, but I don't know if the result would look terribly clean.

dave thompson
01-25-2013, 01:37 AM
Your pic doesn't how exactly how bad the deformation is but I would think it can be carefully reduced and shaped with some very fine wet-or-dry sandpaper and some patience.

many_styles
01-25-2013, 01:50 AM
I still have the bearing press kit that Jeremy let me borrow. So I can press out the bearings to get better access to the deformation. Plus, I really don't want any filings/debris getting in there, so I might as well disassemble the entire hub again.

Louis
01-25-2013, 02:05 AM
It looks like that "lip" might affect the bearing removal. Once everything is out of the way it shouldn't be too big a deal, but probably pretty tedious stuff. As Dave said, be patient. I'd start (very carefully) with a round file then work my way through several grades of sandpaper.

It's amazing how a teeny 2-second error can result in hours and hours of additional work.

Good luck.