PDA

View Full Version : Bont

jpw
01-24-2013, 04:26 PM
Bont moves to dial closures;

http://www.bikeradar.com/gallery/article/bont-vaypor-road-shoes-just-in-36252/3

Brucer
01-24-2013, 04:43 PM
Never used that kind of closure. Have you?

jpw
01-24-2013, 05:11 PM
Never used that kind of closure. Have you?

i've tried. i don't like ratchets.

wallymann
01-24-2013, 05:14 PM
...but i dont like the instep and forefoot share a single wire, and thus tension. this is bad for people like me with neuroma probems and need to be careful with excessive squeezing on the forefoot.

these are even worse, a single wire for the entire closure. not good.

i'd prefer the instep and upper fastener share a wire, and then use a simple velcro across the forefoot.

Brucer
01-24-2013, 07:18 PM
I don't have any particular problems with my feet, but I find shoes with three straps across the instep work just fine.

DRZRM
01-24-2013, 09:28 PM
That looks to me like a separate dial for the forefoot, no. Two dials, or am I misunderstanding what you are saying. I'd love to try those.

...but i dont like the instep and forefoot share a single wire, and thus tension. this is bad for people like me with neuroma probems and need to be careful with excessive squeezing on the forefoot.

these are even worse, a single wire for the entire closure. not good.

i'd prefer the instep and upper fastener share a wire, and then use a simple velcro across the forefoot.

jpw
01-25-2013, 04:21 AM
Bont shoes are shaped like....feet :no:.

It's a radical idea, but it might just work :)

cfox
01-25-2013, 05:00 AM
My Specialized shoes have 2 rachets, and I like them waaaaaay better than straps. The shoe forms perfectly around your foot.

Brucer
01-25-2013, 06:07 AM

I'm open to radical ideas if they help me to ride better.

mktng
01-25-2013, 08:15 AM
I've been looking into new shoes with that system. Replacement parts for the dial and lace/strings are available right? Right now I wear North Face aerlite sbs..... And there have been a few times where the clip strap malfunctioned.... Looking for alternatives that are easier to re tension while riding.

regularguy412
01-25-2013, 08:57 PM
My Specialized shoes have 2 rachets, and I like them waaaaaay better than straps. The shoe forms perfectly around your foot.

+1 on this.

The combination of a supple upper and the BOA-style closure makes for a very comfortable fit. Specialized makes replacement dials and closure line for the S-Works. All the shoes I've owned have been either 3-strap or 2-strap and a ratchet on top. Since I got my Spec. shoes, my old Shimanos just don't feel too good. The upper on those is just too stiff. Still use them as my secondary pair with cleats to match the pedals on my backup bike.

Mike in AR:beer:

krismac23
01-25-2013, 09:01 PM

Only problem I have with mine is the Boa wearing out pretty quick....Easily replaced but kind of annoying.

wallymann
01-28-2013, 12:27 PM
That looks to me like a separate dial for the forefoot, no. Two dials, or am I misunderstanding what you are saying. I'd love to try those.

yep, just noticed that. duh! <:-|

http://brimages.bikeboardmedia.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Bont-Vaypor-Plus-cycling-shoe5-600x374.jpg

Lewis Moon
01-28-2013, 12:33 PM
Love the idea behind the Bont design. The one thing that worries me is the heat molding process. If I remember correctly, it's a fairly low temp. Being from AZ I'd worry that that temp would be exceeded if I forgot my shoes inside the car one afternoon.

Oops...raisens.

R2D2
01-28-2013, 12:36 PM

Too bad they can't seem to figure out 9 1/2 like everyone else.

Gummee
01-28-2013, 12:54 PM
Love the idea behind the Bont design. The one thing that worries me is the heat molding process. If I remember correctly, it's a fairly low temp. Being from AZ I'd worry that that temp would be exceeded if I forgot my shoes inside the car one afternoon.

Oops...raisens.

Unless it gets up to 175deg where you are in AZ, I'd say you'll be OK.

I've got a decision to make. I just got a Giant with an ISP. I can either cut the mast 5mm or so and keep running my Bonts or I can leave it as is and run Shimano or other thicker-soled shoes.

I tried on the Nike Poggios I used to wear and they feel like complete poo after wearing my Bonts for a few years. Unless I drop serious coinage and get the heat molded Shimanos, I'm pretty well hosed with stock shoes any more.

M

Lewis Moon
01-28-2013, 01:14 PM
Unless it gets up to 175deg where you are in AZ, I'd say you'll be OK.

I've got a decision to make. I just got a Giant with an ISP. I can either cut the mast 5mm or so and keep running my Bonts or I can leave it as is and run Shimano or other thicker-soled shoes.

I tried on the Nike Poggios I used to wear and they feel like complete poo after wearing my Bonts for a few years. Unless I drop serious coinage and get the heat molded Shimanos, I'm pretty well hosed with stock shoes any more.

M

When the outside temp is 118 (record is 122) the inside of a car can probably get fairly close. With an outside temp of only 90 it can get up to 140 inside a car....

Gummee
01-28-2013, 04:47 PM
When the outside temp is 118 (record is 122) the inside of a car can probably get fairly close. With an outside temp of only 90 it can get up to 140 inside a car....

Well... there's your answer!

Don't keep your shoes in the car without the AC on!

M