PDA

View Full Version : Saddle too narrow?

TT Tandem
01-23-2013, 05:02 PM
I started riding a Brooks B17N this past fall and now with it on the trainer and I am begining to wonder if it may be too narrow. I tried ,with not too much success, to measure my sit bones this afternoon. I came up with about 130mm. My wife thinks it is 125mm. I understand you are suppose to add 25mm or so to that to determine saddle width. The B17N is listed at 151MM. The B17 at 175mm.
So from the info I am supplying does it seem like maybe it is too narrow? On the B17N the "dimples" that are starting to form seem to be very close to the edge and on top of the metal frame.
Thanks!

Pete Mckeon
01-23-2013, 05:08 PM
the correct one based on size. I do not know how many dealers might still have

I would not lose sleep over it based on size, Saddles are very personal to many independent of the number, Go with the one your backside likes. Adjustment-level&height have lots of influence,

Fishbike
01-23-2013, 05:40 PM
And trainers are not the best way to judge saddle fit. A saddle that is fine on the road felt like a 2 x 4 on the trainer last night. You gotta move around a bit on the trainer. Other than the dimples, how does it feel?

Bruce K
01-23-2013, 05:44 PM
Any Specialized saddle (bike) dealer should have the sit pad

You sit on this pressure sensitive pad for a couple of minutes and the imprint is viewed against a scale to determine saddle width

BK

MattTuck
01-23-2013, 06:12 PM
Any Specialized saddle (bike) dealer should have the sit pad

You sit on this pressure sensitive pad for a couple of minutes and the imprint is viewed against a scale to determine saddle width

BK

While this is true and measurement can point you in the right direction, there is a lot of voodoo that happens between your butt and the saddle. If the saddle is uncomfortable, that's a reason to investigate/solve the causes... but I wouldn't worry too much if it is just based on where the wear is.

Also, I agree Fish, a saddle that is good on the road is not always good on the trainer. My saddle caused some male numbness while on the trainer this weekend, when I never get any on the road. Move around a lot more on the trainer than you think you need to.

abelson
01-23-2013, 06:12 PM
If the saddle is comfortable don't worry about it. If you want to try a standard B17 you can buy one from someone like Wallbike that has a six month return policy (even if you don't it is pretty easy to sell a used Brooks saddle for a decent amount).

Louis
01-23-2013, 06:23 PM
You don't have to have the sit pad - a piece of white paper on a carpeted floor and you in your skivvies will work just fine. Hold the paper at an angle to the light to better see the indentations. If you like, do it several times (on different sheets of paper) to gather multiple data points.

CNY rider
01-23-2013, 06:38 PM
Saddle too narrow?

How not to answer this question when posed by your wife:

No honey your ass is too wide.:fight:

eddief
01-23-2013, 06:51 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7j9LUVJrjA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4yqVzjE9_Y

oldpotatoe
01-23-2013, 06:51 PM
I started riding a Brooks B17N this past fall and now with it on the trainer and I am begining to wonder if it may be too narrow. I tried ,with not too much success, to measure my sit bones this afternoon. I came up with about 130mm. My wife thinks it is 125mm. I understand you are suppose to add 25mm or so to that to determine saddle width. The B17N is listed at 151MM. The B17 at 175mm.
So from the info I am supplying does it seem like maybe it is too narrow? On the B17N the "dimples" that are starting to form seem to be very close to the edge and on top of the metal frame.
Thanks!

Rather than looking at the dimples, how does it feel?

No rules with saddles.

Bruce K
01-23-2013, 07:27 PM
To clarify, I was tying to fill in details about the fit system

As others have said, that is just a starting point for width. Saddle comfort goes way beyond that to take into consideration personal preferences and riding style

Flat saddle or one that ramps up at the back? Racing or touring? Cutout or no?

Lots of things go into proper saddle fit

BK