PDA

View Full Version : Friend gave me a Serotta frame.

Warmblood
02-28-2004, 02:07 PM
Hey All,

A friend gave me a Serotta frame, it's straight and in good shape physically, nothing left cosmetically its gone down at speed a couple of times and storage was not to kind to it either. I can't find a serial number or model name and research so far has not helped. Here is what I know: It's red metal flake and has "S" decal on the front, R/W/B Made in USA down by front derailluer, True Temper decal underneath top tube facing front on seat stay, White S on right and left side with blue and gold chevrons above and below it on seat stay tube also SEROTTA in white on down tube on right and left sides, any idea what model this is?

I am hoping some of you can offer some constructive criticism and or suggestions for this project. Apologies ahead of time, I maybe asking some neophyte questions about Serottas and setting them up properly. Did I mention that money is scarce? Yeah, I want to use as many of the components as possible.

Current physical state:

It sat for some time, the seat post was a bit of a wrestling match to release it from the steel(?) frame (it's older and not Ti nor is it aluminium). Both are in good shape and now seperated. Front Derailluer is a Shimano 600, rear Shimano 105, Mavic Crankset, 53 tooth chain ring looks a little rough on some of the teeth but they can be massaged smooth again, Mavic 5.5.0 bottom bracket. All seem to be servicable.

1) The biggest challenge is the headset, the top and bottom bearing cups are stuck in the frame. I mean siezed, any ideas? I would love to replace it once the cups are removed.

2) Aluminium handle bars have chipped paint, paint, electrical and cloth tape residue and bare metal. None of it is smooth enough to be comfortable if retaped. Any ideas on how to clean up? Wire wheel seems to harsh.

3) The seat stay, or bolt for tightening the seat tube is stripped. I would like to locate some nicer looking hardware for the Serotta frame.

4) The frame is gonna need to be repainted, are there a couple of threads on this forum for doing a complete repaint/resto on Serotta frames? How about getting decals for this frame? Or at least photos of what the decals look like new or complete?

Cables are junk, brake handles missing clamps, shifters missing. Hence the need for additional hardware.

STUPID QUESTION: On the bottom of the top cross bar near the front there is a 1/2 inch long metal tab hagning down with a hole in the middle (clear as mud, eh?) Anyhow, anyone know what this is for?

BumbleBeeDave
02-28-2004, 04:16 PM
. . . I don’t know a great deal about historical Serotta’s , but I can suggest that you contact Serotta through their web site and see what they know. They can also give you info on getting a repaint job and new decals , which is probably the best place to get it done.

As for the “tab” . . . sounds like it’s either a cable guide for the cables (cross frame??) Or a tab for attaching a race number placard.

Good Luck! :)

BBDave

Sam in VA
02-28-2004, 09:32 PM
This link contains some old Serotta catalogs:
http://bulgier.net/pics/bike/Catalogs/
You might recognize your bike there.

What are you using to get your headset out? There is a tool that is standard for this application, and I can't imagine a headset stuck so badly that it wouldn't get it out unless the tool is badly worn. If you aren't familiar with the tool, check any mail order catalog for a picture of a headset cup remover. Your LBS will have one, and it shouldn't take more tha 5 minutes to do it if you bring in the frame without fork.

The mount you describe sound like a race number mount. Maybe this was a team bike?

Good Luck!
Sam

Warmblood
02-29-2004, 06:48 PM
Thanks to both of you,

I apprecaite the help.

1) Headset removal: LBS is it.
2) Tang on crossbar: Team bike most likely knowing the past of my friend.

Heh, I knew I was in the right forum. I'll inquire with Serotta on the decals and paint. Perhaps they have them still.

Cheers,

Warmblood