PDA

View Full Version : Campagnolo inventory

zap
01-23-2013, 11:11 AM
In talking with a few folks I've purchased parts from in the past, I understand that shops in the USA are having difficulties getting hold of Campy Record and Super Record kit.

From a supply standpoint, I'm told that SRAM is, currently, the only reliable source.

I only just started looking for Super Record parts so have not broadened my search yet.

Those in the know, what say you.

jwad
01-23-2013, 11:16 AM
Makes me wonder is it's a supply issue or a demand issue?

MattTuck
01-23-2013, 11:22 AM
I talked to a marketing guy at SRAM a few years back for some research I was doing on how they launched as a new entrant into a pretty established market.

He said one of the big advantages that they brought was on time delivery to OEM frame manufacturers. Shimano (and to a lesser extent Campy, since very few OEM bikes are shipped with Campy) was very bad at this aspect of the business, and SRAM used it as an opening.

I don't know if that speaks to a lack of Campy parts currently, but SRAM was built around the idea of having on time delivery of its components. So it doesn't surprise me that they have high availability.

cfox
01-23-2013, 11:56 AM
I read Campy has increased their OEM presence in the US a pretty big way. Specialized, for example, is now selling Campy equipped complete bikes. Campy is a pretty small company, so I can see how there could be bottlenecks if the OEM stuff is true.

PaMtbRider
01-23-2013, 12:02 PM
Specialized, for example, is now selling Campy equipped complete bikes.

I didn't realize this. Looking at their site the only model I see with Campy is an S-Works Venge with Super Record EPS for$14000. I wonder how many of those get sold?

ultraman6970
01-23-2013, 12:45 PM
IMO is an italian thing. Way too relaxed... if you like what they give you basically you are at their timing and way to work...

I read Campy has increased their OEM presence in the US a pretty big way. Specialized, for example, is now selling Campy equipped complete bikes. Campy is a pretty small company, so I can see how there could be bottlenecks if the OEM stuff is true.

madcow
01-23-2013, 12:53 PM
I've not noticed any problems in getting Campag. It may be more of a shop issue, there are a surprising number of shops that only work with one or two distributors for different reasons, these shops can get caught out when their main supplier runs low.

I wouldn't expect to see Campag change in any dramatic ways, their sales numbers have been very consistent for a long time and Campag doesn't seem interested in going after a bigger market share. (Though incidentally I believe Sram numbers are dropping so perhaps that's attributing to a growth in Campag numbers without Campag pursuing the growth.)

I actually enjoy talking about industry stats and numbers, so if anyone wants I'd be happy to post up a bunch of different numbers for discussion. But just to give you an idea of scale between the 3. (These are 2010 as I had those numbers readily available.)

Total sales for FY 2010.
Shimano, $2,756,669,339
Sram, $ 524,300,000
Campag, $ 148,000,000

ctcyclistbob
01-23-2013, 12:56 PM
Makes me wonder is it's a supply issue or a demand issue?

Aren't they related?

FlashUNC
01-23-2013, 01:15 PM
Just ordered a Chorus group with no issues.

Maybe its the shop's distributor relationships instead?

dd74
01-23-2013, 01:29 PM
+1 What FlashUNC said. Maybe it's the shop wanting to go with the quick sale with another more readily available manufacturer.

I've never had a problem ordering Campy, but my shop knows Campy is what I want. Sure, they've tried to swing me on Shimano (never on SRAM) but in the end, it's always been Campy.

For the OP: if worse comes to worse, call Campy's US headquarters in Carlsbad. They're great guys, very helpful, and might suggest some places for you to get Campagnolo parts.

mcteague
01-23-2013, 01:31 PM
Just ordered a Chorus group with no issues.

Maybe its the shop's distributor relationships instead?

Me too. It came in less than a week.

Tim

oldpotatoe
01-23-2013, 02:52 PM
In talking with a few folks I've purchased parts from in the past, I understand that shops in the USA are having difficulties getting hold of Campy Record and Super Record kit.

From a supply standpoint, I'm told that SRAM is, currently, the only reliable source.

I only just started looking for Super Record parts so have not broadened my search yet.

Those in the know, what say you.

Not from what I can tell. I checked 3 distributors, all have Campag and shimano in stock except not a lot of 9000. No problem with SR thru Centaur, 6700, 5700, double triple.

It IS the start of the 'season' tho, new manufacturing of new models, graphics, whatever.

cmg
01-23-2013, 03:15 PM
Ribble has it and will ship to USA.

dd74
01-23-2013, 03:22 PM
Velomine in Springfield, IL always has Campy in stock, and for the best prices, IMO.

zap
01-23-2013, 04:15 PM
Placed more calls this afternoon and sure enough, some folks have stock of SR.....at least the items I need.

Well, time to cancel my (back) order and place a new one.

oldpotatoe
01-23-2013, 05:05 PM

who?

ctcyclistbob
01-23-2013, 06:55 PM

who?

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk

handsomerob
01-23-2013, 07:08 PM
http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk

I hear that you can also get Campy parts and fantastic service from http://www.vecchios.com/

rounder
01-23-2013, 09:01 PM
If you do not mind buying from UK, both Wiggle and Ribble sell super record. They are both good Internatonal places to go, but my shoppping has been basic.

If you want to buy from US shop, you should consider Vecchios. If i wanted to buy US or had technical questions, i would go there. Never have shopped there before. But really believe that he would be able to help with any Campy issues based on his posts here.

lemondvictoire
01-23-2013, 10:19 PM
I've not noticed any problems in getting Campag. It may be more of a shop issue, there are a surprising number of shops that only work with one or two distributors for different reasons, these shops can get caught out when their main supplier runs low.

I wouldn't expect to see Campag change in any dramatic ways, their sales numbers have been very consistent for a long time and Campag doesn't seem interested in going after a bigger market share. (Though incidentally I believe Sram numbers are dropping so perhaps that's attributing to a growth in Campag numbers without Campag pursuing the growth.)

I actually enjoy talking about industry stats and numbers, so if anyone wants I'd be happy to post up a bunch of different numbers for discussion. But just to give you an idea of scale between the 3. (These are 2010 as I had those numbers readily available.)

Total sales for FY 2010.
Shimano, $2,756,669,339
Sram, $ 524,300,000
Campag, $ 148,000,000

Corrected Shimano cycling sales figures from VeloNews: Shimano’s sales totaled an incredible $2.7 billion in 2010. Five times larger than SRAM, eighteen times larger than Campagnolo.

About 80% of that comes from Shimano-branded bike componentry; the rest is from subsidiaries like Pearl Izumi and from fishing equipment. That drops the total sales down to about $2.16 billion for cycling hardgoods — still four times larger than its closest competitor. No wonder the company has about a billion dollars in cash reserves, and a few hundred more patents than SRAM and Campagnolo.

ColnagoFan
01-24-2013, 12:44 AM
No issues here picking up a couple of Campy groups recently. I think it boils down to bad timing with stock of the distributors maybe?

Had the hard choice between Super Record & Dura Ace, but I still think the Campy ergonomics are the way to go. For me, YMMV..

oldpotatoe
01-24-2013, 07:31 AM
If you do not mind buying from UK, both Wiggle and Ribble sell super record. They are both good Internatonal places to go, but my shoppping has been basic.

If you want to buy from US shop, you should consider Vecchios. If i wanted to buy US or had technical questions, i would go there. Never have shopped there before. But really believe that he would be able to help with any Campy issues based on his posts here.

Grazie mille...and apologize for being a smartass to the other guy, "who?"

oldpotatoe
01-24-2013, 07:33 AM
Corrected Shimano cycling sales figures from VeloNews: Shimano’s sales totaled an incredible $2.7 billion in 2010. Five times larger than SRAM, eighteen times larger than Campagnolo.

About 80% of that comes from Shimano-branded bike componentry; the rest is from subsidiaries like Pearl Izumi and from fishing equipment. That drops the total sales down to about $2.16 billion for cycling hardgoods — still four times larger than its closest competitor. No wonder the company has about a billion dollars in cash reserves, and a few hundred more patents than SRAM and Campagnolo.

shimano seems to retire more debt than the total sales of Campagnolo but I don't think Valentino is concerned about that. He wants to be the 'Ducati' of bicycle stuff(understanding that Ducati was just bought by Audi)...

ctcyclistbob
01-24-2013, 08:52 AM
Grazie mille...and apologize for being a smartass to the other guy, "who?"

And I totally missed it and posted the link. DUH.

Vecchio's is the place to go.

nighthawk
01-24-2013, 09:10 AM
I've ordered campy stuff from Peter (Vecchio's) in the past and can vouch for him having what I need, shipping it quickly, and offering excellent installation advice. Trust the spud!

nicrump
01-24-2013, 09:13 AM
(These are 2010 as I had those numbers readily available.)

Total sales for FY 2010.
Shimano, $2,756,669,339
Sram, $ 524,300,000
Campag, $ 148,000,000

Fairwheels numbers? ;-) nice work.

mistermo
01-24-2013, 12:28 PM
Total sales for FY 2010.
Shimano, $2,756,669,339
Sram, $ 524,300,000
Campag, $ 148,000,000

How did you get these and does the Shimano number include fishing equipment?

Joachim
01-24-2013, 12:40 PM
How did you get these and does the Shimano number include fishing equipment?

Does the Campagnolo number include corkscrew sales? :)

Brucer
01-24-2013, 07:25 PM
I've had good experiences ordering Campy stuff from Branford Bikes.

http://branfordbike.com/product-list/parts-1051/derailleurs-1063/rear-1065/?startRow=31

zap
01-25-2013, 08:12 AM
The firm I've been dealing with for 15+ years with all things Campy came through.

I did check out Velomine and did see they have a Record 10 medium rear derailleur at a reasonable price. Need that for one of our tandems.

I do what I can to support small businesses in the USA..........and ripespud's shop is one I will keep in mind for future queries........

..........despite his opinions about al nips and use of Porsche motoring oil:banana: :banana:

:beer:

druptight
01-25-2013, 09:22 AM
I've found Merlin Cycles in the UK ships quickly, and cheaply to the US and has SR stuff. They have some weird discount for ordering online too, that usually covers the shipping costs. I find that they tend to be cheaper than the other mentions (Wiggle, etc.).