PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Bib Tights?

oldguy00
01-23-2013, 07:06 AM
Looking for a new pair. Assos is out of my budget. Looking to spend no more than $160.
Man, there seems to be more choices for bib tights than there are bib shorts!!
Been looking at:
2XU Compression Bib Tights
Pear Izumi Amphib
Gore (too many models to choose from!!!)

Not really interested in LG or Castelli.

I like being warm, but chances are I won't be riding outside in anything colder than 35F.
I'm thinking of giving the 2XU's a try, don't suppose anyone has tried them? Not the thermal version, but the regular bib tights:
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=49232

Thx!

cp43
01-23-2013, 07:28 AM
I have a pair of Pearl AmPhib bib tights that I really like. They're warm enough down to 35. I've had them for around 5 years, they've held up very well.

Chris

godfrey1112000
01-23-2013, 07:45 AM
julianbmorton@assos.com , send an email to this guy, and he might help you, sold me bibb tights and Bibbs for about $300 for the pair, great deal

I think he is in Montreal, but will take your order

good luck

second option

http://www.qbike.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi?st=assos+tights

FlashUNC
01-23-2013, 07:48 AM
I like Rapha's, which are on sale right now, because they're chamois-less, and you can wear whatever shorts you want underneath. Handy bit o kit.

generate
01-23-2013, 07:56 AM
I had a pair of Gore Oxygen bib tights last year that were great. I rode with them down into the 20's. I'd definitely recommend them. They were similar to these:

http://www.realcyclist.com/gore-bike-wear-oxygen-so-bibtight-w-cham-mens?cmp_id=&rrType=ClickCP&rrProd=GBW0178

I ended up buying a pair of Rapha deep winter tights this year as the Gore's were a tad big. The Rapha's are awesome. They may be a bit out of your price range but keep in mind you're buying something that you'll likely use for years.

oldguy00
01-23-2013, 07:59 AM
I had a pair of Gore Oxygen bib tights last year that were great. I rode with them down into the 20's. I'd definitely recommend them. They were similar to these:

http://www.realcyclist.com/gore-bike-wear-oxygen-so-bibtight-w-cham-mens?cmp_id=&rrType=ClickCP&rrProd=GBW0178

I ended up buying a pair of Rapha deep winter tights this year as the Gore's were a tad big. The Rapha's are awesome. They may be a bit out of your price range but keep in mind you're buying something that you'll likely use for years.

Thanks, I was looking at those Gores. Hard to tell which would be a better choice between those, the Xenons, and the ALP-X.....Too many choices..

crownjewelwl
01-23-2013, 08:19 AM
i'd second the gore...i have the power version...

i'm pretty certain it uses the same chamois as the rapha tights (i own both)...

the gore fabric isnt as soft, but much better value

67-59
01-23-2013, 08:20 AM
I have a pair of Craft tights with wind panels that I love. They're a few years old and I don't recall the exact model, but I paid about $100-150 for them and they've been worth every penny. Good down to the 30s...and well beyond. I've worn them below zero and done fine.

Also, given that you only go to around 35, the Rapha winter tights might work for you. No windproof fabric, but fine down to around the 30s.

EDS
01-23-2013, 08:29 AM
Looking for a new pair. Assos is out of my budget. Looking to spend no more than $160.
Man, there seems to be more choices for bib tights than there are bib shorts!!
Been looking at:
2XU Compression Bib Tights
Pear Izumi Amphib
Gore (too many models to choose from!!!)

Not really interested in LG or Castelli.

I like being warm, but chances are I won't be riding outside in anything colder than 35F.
I'm thinking of giving the 2XU's a try, don't suppose anyone has tried them? Not the thermal version, but the regular bib tights:
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=49232

Thx!

If you will not be riding in temps below 35 then the amphib are overkill and you are better off with a different model.

oldguy00
01-23-2013, 08:54 AM
If you will not be riding in temps below 35 then the amphib are overkill and you are better off with a different model.

Was wondering about that. Kind of leaning towards trying either the Gore Oxygen or the 2XU.

zap
01-23-2013, 08:54 AM

Thx!

At these temps, knickers and knee warmers are more than sufficient.

But hell..........men in tights...........meh.

oldguy00
01-23-2013, 08:57 AM
At these temps, knickers and knee warmers are more than sufficient.

But hell..........men in tights...........meh.

I have Assos bib knickers that I -love-, and they see a -lot- of use (I like to be warm!), about 4 years old and still going strong. But there are still a few rides that I like to have my entire leg covered. I have tried leg warmers and really don't care for them.

malcolm
01-23-2013, 08:59 AM
I usually just wear a pair of tights over my usual bib shorts. Am I missing anything by having bib tights?

one60
01-23-2013, 09:00 AM
I received a brand new pair of PI bibs from a friend who was too tall for size L. I am around 5'10" and they fit fine but are snug (in a good way)

Two important points, they are warm, at least down to 30F and they breathe. So when stopping the tights don't get cold or wet from sweat which makes restarting miserable.

On descents, while the face knows the sting of the cold, I am amazed that I feel none of that on my legs. These have transformed my winter riding. They were probably $150 (which is $100 more than I would have spent) but they are well constructed and should last years. And they are WARM!

oldguy00
01-23-2013, 09:01 AM
I usually just wear a pair of tights over my usual bib shorts. Am I missing anything by having bib tights?

Well, its the same argument one might make for shorts vs bib shorts. I find bibs more comfortable for both. Plus, a lot of bib tights have a good amount of material on the front 'bib' to help keep the upper body warm.

dougefresh
01-23-2013, 09:05 AM
if you don't need wind proof a good pair of thermal shorts and either tights or knee warmers is the best fit for me. i have never had a pair of tights fit great.

malcolm
01-23-2013, 09:06 AM
Well, its the same argument one might make for shorts vs bib shorts. I find bibs more comfortable for both. Plus, a lot of bib tights have a good amount of material on the front 'bib' to help keep the upper body warm.

I hear you. I kinda remember the same thoughts concerning why wear bibs vs regular shorts and once I went bib I never looked back. For winter right now I just use my regular bibs with one of two different tights over, one regular wool and one wool with paneled fronts. I'm most on the mtn bike in the winter so for some reason clothing comfort seems less an issue on the mtn bike, at least to me.

Likes2ridefar
01-23-2013, 09:06 AM

the extra up front is great. keeps the belly warm!

I run cold and would use something like the Amphib tights from freezing to about 40-45. beyond that i'd be too warm or cold.

roubaix fabric tights or similar...basically a midweight fleece-like fabric... usually serve me well above that until I can wear knickers at about 55F-65F.

joosttx
01-23-2013, 09:34 AM
Rapha are the best. I think if you bought them you would find them to be worth the extra money.

Likes2ridefar
01-23-2013, 09:36 AM
Rapha are the best. I think if you bought them you would find them to be worth the extra money.

apparently everyone fits differently because I'd say Rapha are some of the worst clothes I've ever worn and the price makes them embarassingly so.

i havent used many cycling tights, but the assos bibtights with wind panels up front are by far my favorite. the pearl izumi amphib are just as warm but not as comfortable (less flex) although it looks like the newest model may be better. mine are quite old and don't have the extra paneling.

For my money it's Assos (at 50% off) !, but I've found for winter non-cycling gear works just fine and am learning much better with the right stuff...

mcteague
01-23-2013, 09:40 AM

This is very true. I have a pair and get very warm if temps are much above freezing. So, guess I need another pair to go along with my knee warmers. Maybe I just need to move to CA.

Tim

Likes2ridefar
01-23-2013, 09:41 AM
This is very true. I have a pair and get very warm if temps are much above freezing. So, guess I need another pair to go along with my knee warmers.

Tim

I'll third that!

tv_vt
01-23-2013, 10:10 AM
Amfibs are great, but agree that mid-30's to 40* is upper range.

Pearl Izumi makes a great set of thermal leg warmers. For $45, seems like those could give you some pretty good bang for the buck. Wear with warm pair of bibshorts and you're good.

Elefantino
01-23-2013, 10:16 AM
I really like the Nashbar Mansfield bib tights. They're surprisingly good quality, inexpensive (~$50) and they come in tall sizes. The last part is a must for me.

Lionel
01-23-2013, 10:27 AM
If you plan on putting serious miles in cold weather. Assos is very hard to beat. Tried a lot of others before but nothing comes close and certainly not the Rapha one.

Brucer
01-23-2013, 06:57 PM
I just bought a pair of Curve bib tights (http://www.curveinc.com/curveprolineosr1bibtight.html). They fit (I'm 6'4"), they keep me warm (I live in Toronto) and I like them a lot. They're snug, too, almost like compression leggings. I agree that Assos makes the best stuff, but for half the price, these work for me.

pdmtong
01-23-2013, 07:20 PM
Capo on sale is hard to beat

rice rocket
01-23-2013, 08:25 PM
I bought cheap dhb tights from Wiggle when I wasn't sure how much I was going to be riding in the winter. They're truthfully pretty good, and cheap. I just got off a 17 deg ride and it was great.

beeatnik
01-23-2013, 08:33 PM
Get Assos from the UK. A few times yearly, you can pick them up for nearly 50% off. And the nicer the bib, the deeper the discount. The Milles can go for 175, out da door. Unos go for about 130 American.

oldguy00
03-23-2013, 06:12 AM
Well, I ended up finding a good deal on the 2XU compression bib tights and decided to give them a try.
Disappointed for 2 reasons:
1. Very thin, not meant for cold weather at all IMHO.
2. The stitching on on of the legs has let go after ONE ride. Wow. It basically unraveled all the way down one of the lower legs. Nice...

Emailed the place I bought them from, hoping to either get a replacement or refund..
Lesson learned. Should have probably bought a high end sugoi tight locally, or ponied up and ordered Assos...

shovelhd
03-23-2013, 06:18 AM
I bought a full set of Lusso thermal gear, tights, knee and leg warmers, and booties during a 20% off sale. The materials are excellent, the construction just OK, the price, unbeatable.

OtayBW
03-23-2013, 05:48 PM
Well, I ended up finding a good deal on the 2XU compression bib tights and decided to give them a try.
Disappointed for 2 reasons:
1. Very thin, not meant for cold weather at all IMHO.
2. The stitching on on of the legs has let go after ONE ride. Wow. It basically unraveled all the way down one of the lower legs. Nice...

Emailed the place I bought them from, hoping to either get a replacement or refund..
Lesson learned. Should have probably bought a high end sugoi tight locally, or ponied up and ordered Assos...
The gf has some 2XU and likes them a lot. Seems like there's a lot of marketing hype with them...to me. I love the Gore Xenon 2. Great chamois - very thin - and good compression. I've gotten good deals on 3 pairs over the last few years.

slidey
03-23-2013, 06:39 PM
Another vote for Craft! I haven't worn their jerseys, but love their bibs, storm jacket.

I have a pair of Craft tights with wind panels that I love. They're a few years old and I don't recall the exact model, but I paid about $100-150 for them and they've been worth every penny. Good down to the 30s...and well beyond. I've worn them below zero and done fine.

Also, given that you only go to around 35, the Rapha winter tights might work for you. No windproof fabric, but fine down to around the 30s.

poff
03-23-2013, 06:52 PM
Assos here, I also did not like Rapha's bibs.

Dromen
03-24-2013, 09:50 AM
Sugoi RSE