PDA

View Full Version : Prolotherapy and/or platelet replacement therapy

false_Aest
01-22-2013, 02:29 PM
Anyone have experience with prolotherapy (D-50 injections) and/or platelet replacement therapy?

I've got a funky hamstring that hasn't responded to cortisone, PT, massage, etc.

Dr. gave me prolo on Friday. Suggesting that I do PRT if things don't clear up after 2-3 prolo sessions.

SoCalSteve
01-22-2013, 07:32 PM
T,

Talk to this guy (http://www.drfields.com/). He is Angela's ex bf, an Ironman Tri-athlete, a sports Dr. and a Chiropractor. He specializes in Prolotherapy and sports medicine.

Good luck!

S

Jack Brunk
01-22-2013, 07:38 PM
What did your MRI show?

If you haven't had one you should.

JB

znfdl
01-22-2013, 07:42 PM
I have had platelet rich plasma (PRP) on my neck which showed a medium case of athritis after years of abuse. After 3 sessions of PRP, my athritis symptoms have subsided. I no longer have a stiff neck for most of the day and riding the bike is much more enjoyable.

My wife has had prolotherapy performed on her achilles tendon (severe tendonitis) and it has helped tremendously.

My doctor uses a fluroscope so that he precisely inject the fluids. I beleive that not all doctors use one.

The only downside to PRP and prolotherapy is that it is not covered by my inusrance.

false_Aest
01-22-2013, 08:05 PM
I have to schedule my lumbar MRI tomorrow. Just got approval from insurance today.

Prolo + PRT are covered by my insurance (Dr. does ninja work and calls em something else... triggerpoint therapy maybe).

Steve... if what I have is anything like what you had I wasn't sympathetic enough. THIS EFFIN BLOWS!

TomNY
01-22-2013, 08:07 PM
Anybody know if there are MDs in NY-NJ region doing this treatment?

SoCalSteve
01-22-2013, 08:21 PM
I have to schedule my lumbar MRI tomorrow. Just got approval from insurance today.

Prolo + PRT are covered by my insurance (Dr. does ninja work and calls em something else... triggerpoint therapy maybe).

Steve... if what I have is anything like what you had I wasn't sympathetic enough. THIS EFFIN BLOWS!

I don't wish what I had on anyone (even my worst enemy)! Thanks for the thought.

A great lesson I did learn was this...sometimes its just better to do nothing but rest, take anti-inflammatory meds and ice, lots and lots of ice. I know we all want a quick fix, but in my case, trying all kinds of different things (PT, Massage, Acupuncture, steroid shots, etc, etc, etc...) , made it worse and worse.

Pain sucks and not knowing of you are going to get better makes it even worse. Just keep in mind that your body does have a proclivity to want to heal itself. Let it do that!

false_Aest
02-02-2013, 08:12 PM
MRI showed that I've been really active over 31 years. That's about it... no pinched nerves, bulged discs, etc.

I'm on round 2 of prolo. Far less pain this time around (last time it was an 11 compared to the worst pain I had from the hamstring).

I guess the guessing continues.

bshell
02-02-2013, 09:06 PM
no change in my patellar tendinosis, I'm sorry to say.

firerescuefin
02-02-2013, 10:29 PM
PRP in both knee and shoulder (LCL/rotator cuff)....fantastic results

Derski
02-03-2013, 11:53 PM
My doctor uses a fluroscope so that he precisely inject the fluids. I beleive that not all doctors use one.

Ultrasound guided is the best way to go. No radiation, it's real-time, dynamic and in the best hands a walk in the park.